Options

[GoT][ASoIaF] It had its moments. (OPEN SPOILERS FOR S8, BEWARE)

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I've been thinking about how someone in here said "What if the White Walkers ignore the North and just bee-line for King's Landing" and the more I think about it the more I think that has to be what happens. I just don't see how we can wrap up:
    • What happens to Tormund/Berric at the wall
    • What happens to Winterfell / the Starks
    • What happens to Jaime and his merry band
    • What happens to Dany and co
    • What happens with Jon's parentage being revealed
    • How the Night King is finally defeated / pushed back / whatever
    • The subsequent war against Cersei and co afterwards
    • Jaime's redemption or lack thereof
    • Bran has to actually do a thing at some point
    • Sam has to actually do a thing at some point
    • Cleganebowl
    • Who the fuck ends up on the throne once the dust has settled, if anyone?

That's going to be an incredible squeeze to fit into 6 episodes. If the Night King does just go straight for King's Landing, that simplifies things considerably. Then we only have one big clusterfuck of a war to fit into six episodes instead of two.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    3 episodes in the north, 2 episodes in the south, and then the big damn ending?

Most everyone but Cersei is up north.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Does Jaime even have a merry band? I thought the last we saw of him he was riding north without even Bronn for company. Also futilely trying to hide his fake hand.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, Jamie is headed north solo as far as we know.

Bronn may take up Tyrion's offer since the other Lannister's are screwing him over and Tyrion has dragons, though.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I would be very surprised if Bronn stays in King's Landing. In fact, considering that he and Lena Heady cannot contractually be in the same scene together and there's no one else to interact with in KL, I'd say it's guaranteed he'll catch up with Jamie first thing they do next season.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Why can't they be in the same scene together? Is there bad blood?

Or was that a joke?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Apparently they don't like each other. I don't know details (doubt anyone does, but haven't looked, either).

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Apparently they don't like each other. I don't know details (doubt anyone does, but haven't looked, either).

Apparently they may or may not have dated in 2002/3.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10693120/Game-of-Thrones-stars-Lena-Headey-and-Jerome-Flynn-not-on-speaking-terms.html
    Lena and Jerome were first linked in 2002 and have both since been involved in other relationships. Although they have always been coy about their romance, Anne Headey, Lena’s aunt, confirmed that they were once an item.

Speaking about his relationship with Lena in 2003, Jerome said: “We’re not a couple right now, people have seen us together and jumped to conclusions. I can’t rule out a relationship with her in the future, I just don’t know."

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Bad break up. VERY bad break up. Nobody knows the details because they're both pros and neither of them do the arguing-via-tabloids thing, but it's bad enough that Lena has stipulated in her contract that she is never to see Jerome on set, never mind interact with him.

A friend of a friend worked on the Irish sets for a while and had to install Perspex screens on one set so Jerome could leave and Lena could arrive without their having to make eye contact.

As I said, they're both pros and neither have a reputation for diva-like on set demands, so I think it's safe to assume whatever happened between them is a) private and b) very, very painful.

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I've been thinking about how someone in here said "What if the White Walkers ignore the North and just bee-line for King's Landing" and the more I think about it the more I think that has to be what happens. I just don't see how we can wrap up:
    • Cleganebowl

That's going to be an incredible squeeze to fit into 6 episodes. If the Night King does just go straight for King's Landing, that simplifies things considerably. Then we only have one big clusterfuck of a war to fit into six episodes instead of two.

I don't have this confirmed, but I've been hearing that while the last season is only six episodes long, every episode is movie length, which would mean the cast get paid for six episodes but we would still end up with as many hours of Thrones as we used to get in a ten episode long season.

They've had to either scrap or film and then end up cutting a tonne of stuff every season, so it's possible. It depends on if they can afford the filming.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Bad break up. VERY bad break up. Nobody knows the details because they're both pros and neither of them do the arguing-via-tabloids thing, but it's bad enough that Lena has stipulated in her contract that she is never to see Jerome on set, never mind interact with him.

A friend of a friend worked on the Irish sets for a while and had to install Perspex screens on one set so Jerome could leave and Lena could arrive without their having to make eye contact.

As I said, they're both pros and neither have a reputation for diva-like on set demands, so I think it's safe to assume whatever happened between them is a) private and b) very, very painful.

Contract armor is even better than plot armor for protecting him from Cersei.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

That's pretty diva-ish IMHO unless one committed a crime on the other, in which case they probably shouldn't have applied for a part on the same show (and gone to the police.)

• Options

That's pretty diva-ish IMHO unless one committed a crime on the other, in which case they probably shouldn't have applied for a part on the same show (and gone to the police.)

To my knowledge this is the only time Lena has ever demanded anything remotely like this on any production she has ever been a part of, including Thrones. The only other thing she has ever insisted on is not having to do nude scenes, and she's not exactly the only actress on Thrones to put that in their contract. If she's going to this level I think she deserves the benefit of the doubt. Clearly the production team who work with her do. If they're happy to accommodate her then we shouldn't insist that her only choices are walk away from a dream job or not make a fuss.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I think there are probably other choices available than "Walk away entirely," "Make no fuss at all," and "Install large opaque dividers so that I don't have to see someone across the room."

But, like, whatever. It's not a huge issue, obviously.

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    • Cleganebowl

I don't have this confirmed, but I've been hearing that while the last season is only six episodes long, every episode is movie length, which would mean the cast get paid for six episodes but we would still end up with as many hours of Thrones as we used to get in a ten episode long season.

They've had to either scrap or film and then end up cutting a tonne of stuff every season, so it's possible. It depends on if they can afford the filming.

Its funny how they have been so "frugal" and cutthroat in keeping costs down (ie keeping the cast under original contracts and skirting around the details to not have to pay them more)... that they still can't scrape together a few pennies to render Ghost.

I bet we see him once or none during the last season.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Rhah wrote: »
    • Cleganebowl

Its funny how they have been so "frugal" and cutthroat in keeping costs down (ie keeping the cast under original contracts and skirting around the details to not have to pay them more)... that they still can't scrape together a few pennies to render Ghost.

I bet we see him once or none during the last season.

I think'll be like Benjen. Ghost will come swooping in to save Jon at some point, get killed, and the plot will move right along.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    There are checkboxes that must be checked!

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Even if you have longer episodes, each episode is expected to have a logical internal arc. Six 100 minute episodes will have a different feel from 10 60 minute episodes

• Options
    True, but you can work through a hell of a lot more plot in a movie than you can in most TV episodes.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

The last episode is just going to be a group of prostitutes talking about what Podrick did that one time.
    Final checkbox checked.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    True, but you can work through a hell of a lot more plot in a movie than you can in most TV episodes.

Finale is a decent example. As plotted, those Winterfell scenes wouldn't have landed in the same normal-length episode; and you'd lose a little more efficiency having to restablish context the following week.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    So wait, is that the real reason Bronn and Pod go get a drink before everyone shows up for the meeting? That's kind of disappointing. I was hoping it would lead to them meeting up with Jamie at the beginning of next season somehow.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Pod is also a squire, he has no standing at a meeting of kings and queens. I suppose Bronn too, could be considered more of "Jaime's Man" rather than a full fledged knight with any standing at that meeting.

Tangent: It was nice to see Bronn and Tyrion have that moment on the walk up.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Bronn's smart enough to know there's zero gain for him to be at that meeting and significant danger if Dany decides to light everyone on fire.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think a season of 80-90 minute episodes could clear the air significantly.

The S7 finale had time to breathe. Which was nice.

I do hope they bring back Sapochnik back for S8. His episodes are amazing.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Those are both pretty good in universe explanations. Going with those. Thanks you two!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

The last episode is just going to be a group of prostitutes talking about what Podrick did that one time.
    Final checkbox checked.

That's going to be the stinger.

Literally!

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Last scene, Jamie plunges his sword (not innuendo) deep inside Cersei (seriously this is not a double entendre).

Boom. End credits song, calling it now: Bon Jovi with "Jamie don't you take Cersei to town."

Followed by Gollum's Song by Emiliana Torrini for some reason.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Final checkbox checked.

That would be quite The Shocker.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Final scene will be a very sad Tyrion on the iron throne with Varys at his side and Queen Sansa of the North is standing in front negotiating an alliance.
    They finally got a stable world safe from the ice zombies and crazy cersei but at what cost.

• Options
    I just hope there's no stupid meta St. Elsewhere's ending, or a Deus or Diabolous ex Machina ending where R'hllor suddenly descends upon everyone or some shit.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I think everyone dies is a more likely outcome from Martin than some cop out DM saves you Bullshit.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I think everyone dies is a more likely outcome from Martin than some cop out DM saves you Bullshit.

I'm telling you the whole thing is an allegory for the Jets losing all the time.

Last ten minutes are flat out going to be footage from the last time the Jets fucked themselves out of the Super Bowl.

Deus ex Pigskin.

Drez on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    So, when does the Buttfumble make its appearance in GoT?

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, when does the Buttfumble make its appearance in GoT?

I thought the whole Dorne plot on the show was the Buttfumble. ;-)

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Renly and Loras are dead

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    He's a Giants fan, does he mock the Jets in some way?

• Options
    edited September 2017
    RedTide wrote: »
    He's a Giants fan, does he mock the Jets in some way?

GRRM is famously a Jets fan.

edit: LOL:
    dci6501lg5dz.jpg

edit 2: I mean, I'm not that much of an asshole, but the presentation of that story and the photo caption quote certainly mimicks some ASOIAF/GOT themes.

Drez on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I think cersei will do what the mad king couldnt.
    besieged she burns the motherfucker down

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I think cersei will do what the mad king couldnt.
    besieged she burns the motherfucker down

Hrm. Aerys is quoted by Jaime as having been saying "burn them all" over and over even as he stabbed him.

I wonder if the theory of
    the whispers to the mad king being Bran greenseer/timewarging and whispering to him, driving him mad. He collects all the wildfire but isn't able to burn them because Jaime stops him. But now that the white walkers are here, I wonder if Bran whispers to Cersei or there's some symmetry there.

This discussion has been closed.