Options

Organichu's Self-Indulgent Cooking [chat]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    it was only like two years ago that i realized i had included my email address in my email signature

My company requires it as part of our greeting. I was told at the time it made it easier to copy and paste in to another email, but that seemed like a hollow thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    it was only like two years ago that i realized i had included my email address in my email signature

I do that too because it's part of our signature template. But I've never considered why.

I guess if someone prints my emails?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

My company requires it as part of our greeting. I was told at the time it made it easier to copy and paste in to another email, but that seemed like a hollow thing.

much easier than copying and pasting it from a different spot in the email window

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Teach some fruit flies to fly up their noses, Arch

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

I do that too because it's part of our signature template. But I've never considered why.

do they even consider the environment honk

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    This is not even a little fair.

https://www.gq.com/story/taika-waititi-thor-ragnarok-profile

Leave some for me. Not the rest of us, me specifically.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I kind of like people having all their basic info including email in their SiG though

You can easily copy / paste it that way

I'm leaving that autocorrect whatever

Edit: see, prescher's company agrees with me

desc on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I don't use an email signature, I still hand type it out everytime because I'm weird.

• Options
    Elki wrote: »
    This is not even a little fair.

https://www.gq.com/story/taika-waititi-thor-ragnarok-profile

Leave some for me. Not the rest of us, me specifically.

Handsome people are basically unsporting

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I don't use an email signature, I still hand type it out everytime because I'm weird.

And yet you have a forum signature. I CALL BULLSHIT!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Happy Blizzcon weekend all. Going to be nice to sit down with the lady and eat junk food, while playing games watching people play games.

Also here is a leaf I walked by this morning with probably the most collected water on it that I have seen on a leaf.

ro8zq2ndvrg5.jpg

• Options
    Honk wrote: »

do they even consider the environment honk

NO

People are very bad at turning off the lights at the office for instance :-(

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and just got sent home from work on medical leave for major depression interfering with her job?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

And yet you have a forum signature. I CALL BULLSHIT!

Psh that's hardly the same thing.

*~-_SniperGuy_-~*

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever heard Garrison Keillor mad.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-manafort-donald-trump-tweets-20171030-story.html

"matt has a problem" do not drop these types of links in chat

This is a reminder for everyone

@So It Goes where is this supposed to go then

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Who has two thumbs and just got sent home from work on medical leave for major depression interfering with her job?

Do you have short term disability plan? Long term?

Because the no income might not help with depression.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

I've got about two weeks' worth of PTO

• Options
    "To have that sense of one's intrinsic worth which, for better or for worse, constitutes self-respect, is potentially to have everything: the ability to discriminate, to love and to remain indifferent. To lack it is to be locked within oneself, paradoxically incapable of either love or indifference. If we do not respect ourselves, we are on the one hand forced to despise those who have so few resources as to consort with us, so little perception as to remain blind to our fatal weak- nesses. On the other, we are peculiarly in thrall to everyone we see, curiously determined to live out—since our self-image is untenable—their false notions of us. We flatter ourselves by thinking this compulsion to please others an attractive trait: a gift for imaginative empathy, evidence of our willingness to give. Of course we will play Francesca to Paolo, Brett Ashley to Jake, Helen Keller to anyone's Annie Sullivan: no expectation is too misplaced, no role too ludicrous. At the mercy of those we can not but hold in contempt, we play rôles doomed to failure before they are begun, each defeat generating fresh despair at the necessity of divining and meeting the next demand made upon us."

I should reread Joan Didion once per year

https://www.vogue.com/article/joan-didion-self-respect-essay-1961

• Options
    Every time I read the star wars galaxy of war thread I see people like myself locked in a shitty cell phone game treadmill and I want to help them, but I don't want to be that guy in a game thread saying "stop playing this awful game, its terrible and its bad for you."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My signature block is mandated by my office. It has both my office number and cell number, the location, the office I work at, our website, and a stupid tagline. Also marks I am a contractor.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

That is an awesome paint job.

I thought she said it was a wrap.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Are they aware there’s nothing to be said about free speech and YouTube because it is not a public government space?

They are now, because they didn't leave the room so Bel and I had to regulate

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »

I've got about two weeks' worth of PTO

Burning vacation hours is better than nothing. Sorry

• Options
    Every time I read the star wars galaxy of war thread I see people like myself locked in a shitty cell phone game treadmill and I want to help them, but I don't want to be that guy in a game thread saying "stop playing this awful game, its terrible and its bad for you."

I know two people who play it and I gave it a serious whirl for like two weeks

I joined a guild at random and a guy in guild chat was expressing dismay that it wasn't his paycheck week because otherwise he could buy a $99.99 hero pack (I went and looked it up in the in-game store)

And I felt great trepidation then

• Options

I'm addicted to an awful Skinner box mobile game. But if I leave it I'll just get stuck on another one.

No money shelled out though. I'd hate to be addicted to a pay2win game.

• Options
    I'm bulletproof for typical f2p mobile games, it's like their soul actively repulses me.

• Options
    desc, have you seen the Joan didion doc on Netflix?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I'm very pleased not to be playing marvel match-3 anymore.

• Options
    GB was talking about some weird live quiz app that sounds kinda fun but sounds like an iphone only thing. Also some sort of competitive tetris where you could win money by beating people in tetris?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The best thing I can say about Galaxy of Heroes is that it's more of a game than Pokemon Go.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    desc, have you seen the Joan didion doc on Netflix?

No but I must if such a thing exists

desc on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

I joined a guild at random and a guy in guild chat was expressing dismay that it wasn't his paycheck week because otherwise he could buy a $99.99 hero pack (I went and looked it up in the in-game store)

That's alarming.

I've noped out of mobile gaming entirely because it's all the same bullshit and there's almost no good games in a sea of absolute junk, but there are people paying hundreds of dollars for those packs? Like, there is not a single way that value proposition makes it past even the most cursory thought in my head.

• Options

I mean I was those guys. I played that game for like a year and a half and was as deep in the sunk cost fallacy as the rest of them. But I just found myself ignoring actual fun games that weren't a pay to win treadmill and then I tapped out. I want to help them, but I don't think I can reach them.

I imagine this is probably a very small super small like almost unfair to compare version of what people feel like post scientology or other cult "Dude I was you, let me help you!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Like, how I used to approach it before I gave up on that game space, was, if I played a F2P game for more than a few hours, I would buy something from the store for, like, $5, so the dev gets paid. The most I spent was buying stuff for Fairway Solitaire because I actually still play that now and then, and I think all I spent there was $25 or so.

I cannot fathom buying those in game currency packs that are, like, $100. That just boggles.

• Options
    H/T boatman.
    The final track on the album, "The Overload," was Talking Heads' attempt to emulate the sound of British post-punk band Joy Division. The song was made despite no band member having heard the music of Joy Division; rather, it was based on an idea of what the British quartet might sound like based on descriptions in the music press. The track features "tribal-cum-industrial" beats created primarily by Harrison and Byrne.[40]

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I mean I was those guys. I played that game for like a year and a half and was as deep in the sunk cost fallacy as the rest of them. But I just found myself ignoring actual fun games that weren't a pay to win treadmill and then I tapped out. I want to help them, but I don't think I can reach them.

I imagine this is probably a very small super small like almost unfair to compare version of what people feel like post scientology or other cult "Dude I was you, let me help you!"

I have a pet theory* that the experience of monetary cost in some games actually increases the sense of investment and payoff -- whether it's stuff like these iPhone games or like, say, magic: the gathering

I feel like there's a sense of ontological heft in putting down a card that cost $40 onto the table that is more compelling than the sense of annoyance at a hobby being expensive

The game anchors itself to the wallet and seems heavier as a result

* https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/6w/ppr4nogd57xg.png

desc on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    The bear's glasses and facial expression are the perfect expression of how you feel as you turn over some intellectual concept in your mind

ppr4nogd57xg.png

Seriously, this is the best.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

That's alarming.

I've noped out of mobile gaming entirely because it's all the same bullshit and there's almost no good games in a sea of absolute junk, but there are people paying hundreds of dollars for those packs? Like, there is not a single way that value proposition makes it past even the most cursory thought in my head.

There are stories of people spending thousands literal thousands of dollars to gain competitive edge.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

That's alarming.

There are stories of people spending thousands literal thousands of dollars to gain competitive edge.

You don't even get free drinks like at Vegas ...

This discussion has been closed.