Options

Streaming Services | Patriot S2 on Amazon, Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So while watching Supergirl I just saw two commercial during the same break for streaming service original series. One for The Runaways on Hulu*, and the other for a original show on Amazon Prime. It was a really surreal thing to see, especially from the two services that aren't as well known for their original content.

*does Netflix not have exclusive streaming rights to Marvel shows on streaming services? For some reason I thought they did. I wasnt extremely impressed by the commercial but will probably give it a shot.**

**about midway through this post I realized that The Runaways show isn't about the group that was on the second season of Young Justice that I thought had the same name (one being Marvel and the other DC after all).

Marvel can make a deal with whomever they want. When the current streaming deals are done, most likely all of the Marvel streaming will happen on the Disney service.

The Runaways are a Marvel group of kids who are the children of supervillains. The season 2 Young Justice crew were mostly the ethnic token characters from Superfriends (Samurai, Apache Chief, the Wonder Twins, and Static filling in for Black Vulcan, if I recall correctly) reworked into more interesting characters with more than one dimension.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I was bored and browsing netflix and noticed that the South Korean show Reply 1997 is on Netflix now! I think I recommended a year or so ago when I watched it, but that was before it was on Netflix. If you're feeling like some coming of age romantic comedy I really recommend it, it does some fun things.

One of the things I really like about the show is that it approaches the idea of being in a fandom really sympathetically. There's a early episode where Shi Won, the teen girl protagonist, has had to deal with her parents furiously fighting, she's not doing great in school, she's not that cool, one of her male friends is all into her now... Like, she's dealing with a lot of shit, and she's not very good at handling it. Then she gets to go to her favorite boy band's concert and she's so ecstatically happy, she screams along to every lyric, she knows every dance move, every other girl there is united by their love of the band. Shows usually treat a teenage girl's love of X shallow boy band as something not really worthy of much inspection or respect, but Reply 1997 really just nails Shi Won's viewpoint. Yeah, it's a tremendous amount of energy expended over something that's really pretty damn shallow, but that's sort of the point, it's why the fantasy is so powerful for her.

I also like that Shi Won is caustic and sarcastic and sort of a terror, she's the opposite of a typical female romantic lead, she's no wilting violet. Her romantic interest is equally attracted to and terrified of her, and there's really never any sort of taming the shrew moment.

One other big thing with the show is that it's one of very few South Korean shows with a confirmed gay character, and he's treated very sympathetically. He never quiiite escapes "gay best friend" status, but honestly just there being a gay best friend in a Korean show is a pretty big deal even now.

Of course since it's set in 1997 there's also a whole bunch of historical references and such, all of which go right over my head, but the show doesn't really depend on it. It's not a perfect show by any means, but it's really likable.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    So Amazon has the "Worricker Trilogy" available for streaming if you have prime. Page Eight is one of my favorite spy movies though I haven't seen the sequels yet (I just found out it was on Amazon). If you like "realistic" spy movies it's worth the watch.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    There's plenty of lore in The Silmarillion to base a TV series on. Half the book was just soft baked pitches for future media anyway.

About my only memory from the Silmarillion when I read it 30 years ago is that some elf wrestled a balrog in a fountain and headbutted it to death. I'd pay to see that.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So while watching Supergirl I just saw two commercial during the same break for streaming service original series. One for The Runaways on Hulu*, and the other for a original show on Amazon Prime. It was a really surreal thing to see, especially from the two services that aren't as well known for their original content.

*does Netflix not have exclusive streaming rights to Marvel shows on streaming services? For some reason I thought they did. I wasnt extremely impressed by the commercial but will probably give it a shot.**

**about midway through this post I realized that The Runaways show isn't about the group that was on the second season of Young Justice that I thought had the same name (one being Marvel and the other DC after all).

Marvel's deals with Netflix go like this
    1) A deal to produce five Netflix original shows in the MCU. Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Defenders. With the option to produce additional seasons of these shows.
    2) a deal to produce The Punisher Netflix original series, after Daredevil Season 2 was so successful.
    3) A separate deal to host Marvel movies.

3 is being slowly wound down in favor of moving the movies over to Disney's on-demand service in the future. 1 and 2 are likely to remain because Netflix is paying for production. In the meantime, Marvel can make deals with other services for production rights to shows, which is how there's three MCU shows planned for three different services/channels.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I've just run out of Mindhunter episodes, does anyone know where I can get some more? I'm willing to do all sorts of things. I would break the laws of physics to travel through time, if necessary.

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    I've just run out of Mindhunter episodes, does anyone know where I can get some more? I'm willing to do all sorts of things. I would break the laws of physics to travel through time, if necessary.

Until season 2 arrives, I recommend Punisher, Narcos, Black Sails, and Supergirl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIY6zFL95hE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvxpv_fycl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7elNhHwgBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cMcKqrNTus

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

I watched the first 3 episodes and it’s pretty good. It definitely has potential.

The “SJW” character (a label they use in the show, but one I’m not fond of) feels like she was written to mock feminism though. She’s pretty grating. Maybe I’m overreacting? Most of the other characters are pretty good.

I should read the comics.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Always sunny is going away on Netflix....

• Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular

Try Manhunt: Unabomber, it's similarly about profiling and it's solid

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Criminal Minds?

I mean, that's like going from china white to back alley crack but if you're desperate...

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

Criminal Minds?

I mean, that's like going from china white to back alley crack but if you're desperate...

Stick to early seasons. The show starts ... uh, "fun" and good for what it is and then slowly goes downhill.

shryke on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Criminal Minds?

Stick to early seasons. The show starts ... uh, "fun" and good for what it is and then slowly goes downhill.

Anything with Mandy Patinkin is worth watching.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Oh hai that western series Godless is up on Netflix now, as is Boss Baby.

Why Netflix chose to instead email me about l this Spike Lee series She’s Gotta Have It instead, I’ll never know. I only have watched lots and lots of westerns on my account but whatever, it’s fine, I’m fine, this is fine.

• Options
    First episode of Godless was really good, they were promoting the all female town aspect (which isn't that big and is more a setup for the story itself), when they should have been promoting locals standing up to Jeff Daniels evil posse. You basically have old sheriff widower, pretty widow with indian son (who is good for a kid actor) and mother in law, and young gun Billy The Kid redemption story against robber outlaws.

It's shot well and looks damn pretty on 4K, the story flows nicely, music and opening credits are super classy, Scoot McNairy is a delight as always as is evil Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterson is surprisingly brilliantly cast as the old Marshal. The only flaw is two of the leads are clearly british and while they're good it's just a matter of breaking the character; the Billy the Kid actor they remedy this by basically having him get his voice damaged by getting shot in the throat and the widow lady is really pushing a deep American accent that gets tripped up when she says "bloody." It's funny because they say bloody all the time and is probably a way to find out british spies the way the germans can't say the word squirrel.

But I'm liking the show, 2017 Deadwood essentially, and only 7 episodes so it won't be dragged out like every damn Marvel series always and forever!

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Got an email about my Netflix sub going up to the $10.99 rate. Still a more than reasonable rate, but it'd be nice if they'd stop hemmorging shows/movies that I like.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    A lot of people in the Old West were genuinely British and had emigrated to seek their fortune.

• Options
    And that was shown rather well in the very good western film The Salvation with Mads Mikkelson being a danish immigrant cowboy, his accent came through and had a reason for being there. It's not presented that way in Godless.

This is why the next James Bond should be American, for no reason other than spite.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    A lot of people in the Old West were genuinely British and had emigrated to seek their fortune.

The more you learn about history the more you realize pretty much everyone out west was running from debt, crime, or shame.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Something tickles me about the description "genuinely British"

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I keep trying to watch the final season of Longmire and Netflix keeps throwing up error messages

I can watch Parks and Rec just fine though

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I keep trying to watch the final season of Longmire and Netflix keeps throwing up error messages

I can watch Parks and Rec just fine though

That is probably for the best. The last season did not impress me a ton. Everything felt extremely forced and did not work very well if you ask me.

• Options
    That's disappointing. I had hoped a definite end date would give them a way to tighten up the writing.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    And that was shown rather well in the very good western film The Salvation with Mads Mikkelson being a danish immigrant cowboy, his accent came through and had a reason for being there. It's not presented that way in Godless.

This is why the next James Bond should be American, for no reason other than spite.

Get killed in the opening credits, Idris Elba's Bond has to avenge his death.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

You already took Robin Hood, Blade and John Constantine.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

The more you learn about history the more you realize pretty much everyone out west was running from debt, crime, or shame.

The more you learn about history the more you realize that pretty much every society starts this way.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Just saw a commercial for a Stretch Armstrong cartoon when opening the app. That an...uh...interesting choice.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Have you guys been following the YouTube Adpocalypse? The short version is that advertisers are leaving YouTube in droves citing inappropriate content being associated with their brand. In response YouTube has turned their demonization bots up to 11 effectively ending many YouTubers primary source of revenue.

Well just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, some of that last big advertisers left are pulling out over videos of inappropriately clothed young girls filled with comments about what you would expect. YouTube has reacted by bot controlled demonetizing of basically everything. The only people making money are the few channels with a direct line to YouTube executives or a thriving donation community.

A lot of the donation supported community has started uploading to other platforms already. It's only a matter of time before that whole site implodes and ends up like Myspace. YouTube sealed it's fate by doubling down on bots to police their community instead of people. From what I've read, there are only a few dozen actual moderators for the entire site. Given the size and scope of YouTube they would need hundreds if not thousands of real people going through everything to keep out the worst offenders.

Since that's not gonna happen and we are clearly past the point where it would matter even if they did hire them overnight,

RIP YouTube

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Have you guys been following the YouTube Adpocalypse? The short version is that advertisers are leaving YouTube in droves citing inappropriate content being associated with their brand. In response YouTube has turned their demonization bots up to 11 effectively ending many YouTubers primary source of revenue.

Well just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, some of that last big advertisers left are pulling out over videos of inappropriately clothed young girls filled with comments about what you would expect. YouTube has reacted by bot controlled demonetizing of basically everything. The only people making money are the few channels with a direct line to YouTube executives or a thriving donation community.

A lot of the donation supported community has started uploading to other platforms already. It's only a matter of time before that whole site implodes and ends up like Myspace. YouTube sealed it's fate by doubling down on bots to police their community instead of people. From what I've read, there are only a few dozen actual moderators for the entire site. Given the size and scope of YouTube they would need hundreds if not thousands of real people going through everything to keep out the worst offenders.

Since that's not gonna happen and we are clearly past the point where it would matter even if they did hire them overnight,

RIP YouTube

All my favorite You Tube reviewers need to get their own websites or something, like Red Letter Media.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Yeah, some of my favorite Youtubers have enough Patreon support to keep going, but I predict a mass exodus for the others soon. Pretty much all of them have posted videos to the effect that they cannot afford to dedicate the time and effort to posting YouTube content anymore.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Yeah, some of my favorite Youtubers have enough Patreon support to keep going, but I predict a mass exodus for the others soon. Pretty much all of them have posted videos to the effect that they cannot afford to dedicate the time and effort to posting YouTube content anymore.

When "Glove & Boots" quit I knew we were at the breaking point. This recent scandal was the final blow. All that's left is to watch YouTube bleed out. I don't even think YouTube Gaming is going to survive.

• Options
    It’s amazing the class system YouTube established while they try to act like a place for everyone. Promote shitty vine “comedians” and vloggers and have trending from boring late night hosts that clearly pay to be on the front page, and ignore and often punish the actual lifeblood of your website. Yes, promote shit like Collider videos or Chris Stuckman but never idubbz or RLM or Your Movie Sucks, stuff that repeatedly gets high views with little to no promotion from YouTube. Yet their kids app is filled with vile shit abusing the algorithm and getting monetized because of course Elsa drinking pee is kids appropriate

but it’s ok see, Susan Wojciki has her own channel now and had the kewl kids like famous YouTuber the Rock give her advice. Truly she gets what makes YouTube tick.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I've never seen idubbz or Your Movie Sucks, but presumably YouTube doesn't promote RLM to a large degree because it's about a creepy serial killer who tortures women, right? That's what it was back when I watched any of it (which was years ago). But presumably YouTube is worried about going gung ho on that sort of stuff, probably for good reason.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

a9oFGBo.gif

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

the worst news I've gotten in the last year

Hulu shows ads even though we pay! ludicrous!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I've never seen idubbz or Your Movie Sucks, but presumably YouTube doesn't promote RLM to a large degree because it's about a creepy serial killer who tortures women, right? That's what it was back when I watched any of it (which was years ago). But presumably YouTube is worried about going gung ho on that sort of stuff, probably for good reason.

Nah that's just the Plinkett reviews, and really just the Star Wars prequel ones. Their most popular series, Half in the Bag and Best of the Worst, don't contain any of that stuff.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

the worst news I've gotten in the last year

Hulu shows ads even though we pay! ludicrous!

We are all the way up the extortion tier and Hulu counters no ads by having the worst connection issues out of all the apps on our smart TV.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

When "Glove & Boots" quit I knew we were at the breaking point. This recent scandal was the final blow. All that's left is to watch YouTube bleed out. I don't even think YouTube Gaming is going to survive.

Well I assume all the gaming content will move to twitch.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well if you'll just subscribe to XFinity or Cox and then also pay $5.99 a month extra for FX+

This discussion has been closed.