As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars]: The Last Jedi - A completely uncontroversial film. TAG SPOILERS

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Should have been fuzzy dice tbh

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Apparently the established backstory of the dice (because of course that was already told) is they're what Han used in the game he won the Millennium Falcon in

so they're still definitely gonna be in that movie

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Apparently the established backstory of the dice (because of course that was already told) is they're what Han used in the game he won the Millennium Falcon in

I thought he won it in a game of sabaac?
    Also I always thought sabaac as described in the Lando trilogy sounded fun. Now that we live in the future it seems like it might even be possible to make.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm sure Chewie bumps his head on those dice at least once in the OT.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    I'm not saying the dice are new, just that now they're suddenly very important.

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The more I think about it I’m certain that having the Knights of Ben be a thing would have been a fine choice; Kylo really needs some people to talk to about literally anything with.

The cast seems very small on the First Order side now. I see no reason Kylo would keep Hux around either, though I’m sure he’ll be there.

• Options
    Klendy wrote: »
    I'm not saying the dice are new, just that now they're suddenly very important.

Yeah, because some pretty big stuff happened to the previous owner in the last movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    the idea that the first order would not be actively scanning for escape craft when extermination is their goal is absurd though.
    I could have sworn
    that they mentioned cloaking? But then I was disappointed when the ships didn't shimmer or do anything cloaking like, so I guess there was no cloaking?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    the idea that the first order would not be actively scanning for escape craft when extermination is their goal is absurd though.
    I could have sworn
    that they mentioned cloaking? But then I was disappointed when the ships didn't shimmer or do anything cloaking like, so I guess there was no cloaking?

It's more like
    electronic countermeasures, not visual cloaking

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm reading From A Certain Point of View and boy howdy was Griffin McElroy's story really good

The whole book is really fun so far, they're doing some fun stuff with the concept
    I really enjoyed the one about the officer who ordered the ship to not fire on the escape pod containing 3PO and R2 frantically trying to cover his tracks via beurocracy and paperwork before Vader arrives

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I just realised those dice are a hook to get me to go and see Han Solo and now I want to vomit

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

I thought he won it in a game of sabaac?
    Also I always thought sabaac as described in the Lando trilogy sounded fun. Now that we live in the future it seems like it might even be possible to make.

I really want a playable form of sabaac
    Also there's somehow a dice sabaac in New canon.

Additionally the clone wars and rebels soundtracks are real fucking good.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    I just realised those dice are a hook to get me to go and see Han Solo and now I want to vomit

This seems like a very uncharitable read

"Hey here is a sentimental thing that belonged to your friend who died that allows us to communicate that information easily"

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Eeeeh I think that's a bit of a stretch

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Jesus, that's a deep cut

Deep enough that they're only in A New Hope because in the later two movies the set designers just plain forgot to include them

in Force Awakens, they're there
    There's a deleted scene in TFA where Han takes those dice out of his pocket and hangs them up on the Falcon as his way of re-claiming ownership. It wasn't cut out of the movie until late and RJ thought that audiences would be able to figure it out even without the TFA scene, so he left it in.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Nobody cared about the dice until that cutesy story about the Vanity Fair cover for TFA where they were rushing to find dice at the last minute.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    The more I think about it I’m certain that having the Knights of Ben be a thing would have been a fine choice; Kylo really needs some people to talk to about literally anything with.

The cast seems very small on the First Order side now. I see no reason Kylo would keep Hux around either, though I’m sure he’ll be there.

Hux is a sniveling whelp who immediately bends to whatever authority figure is closest. Megalomaniacs like having guys like that around. Plus it's nice to have a guy with nominal power around that you can use to make an example of to the underlings and pass the blame for your failures onto.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited December 2017

Hux is a sniveling whelp who immediately bends to whatever authority figure is closest. Megalomaniacs like having guys like that around. Plus it's nice to have a guy with nominal power around that you can use to make an example of to the underlings and pass the blame for your failures onto.

True, true. I’d like more out of him than that but I suppose that’s his thing. I feel like the coolest use of the character would be to have him change sides now, without gaining an inch of goodness. Just a straight abandon ship from the First Order with a quarter of the fleet, or “accidentally” sending all their plans to the Resistance and retreating to safety. He could even wait until the last twenty minutes of 9.

It’d be nice to think everyone in the trilogy could have an arc.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Blankzilla wrote: »

hard disagree. i'm with Tube

Tube on
    goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    I like my headcanon that Hux is just some rich kid playing pretend

• Options
    Hux is an elitist shitbag who is proud of being a piece of shit while expecting fame and recognition and admiration for it. He's the cinematic embodiment of Paul Ryan beaming smugly as he passes a bill that absolutely guts the lowest economic classes to further benefit the wealthy and I cherish every moment that he gets fucking dunked on.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Star Wars Episode 9

The Swirlie of Hux

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    do we know hux's first name? i like to think it's "dumple"

ah dang, it's "armitage"

Klendy on
    goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    I like seeing that kind of person Force choke slammed too!

I just also think he should be a coward with no real faith in his chosen faction! Perhaps he can be blown up by a TIE while he tries to escape.

• Options
    As a massive Domnhall Gleeson fan, I find Hux to be a... little much? But I appreciate he's doing something very different to Tarkin and that's not exactly a wide possibility space given the essentials of the role.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Hux is Donald Trump Jr.

• Options
    I like seeing that kind of person Force choke slammed too!

I just also think he should be a coward with no real faith in his chosen faction! Perhaps he can be blown up by a TIE while he tries to escape.

I dunno, everything about that guy says True Believer to me. I can buy Tarkin just going "fuck this" and collecting his pension more than Hux. Hux has stuff he wants to do.

• Options
    Hux is Donald Trump Jr.

More Richard Spencer.
    Dtj wouldn't be on bridge

• Options
    hux's speech to everyone on starkiller base screams true believer.

so does his faux
    blaster pull on kylo

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I'm reading From A Certain Point of View and boy howdy was Griffin McElroy's story really good

The whole book is really fun so far, they're doing some fun stuff with the concept
    I really enjoyed the one about the officer who ordered the ship to not fire on the escape pod containing 3PO and R2 frantically trying to cover his tracks via beurocracy and paperwork before Vader arrives

Blank puuuhhhlleeeease tell us when you read Wil Wheaton’s story

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I could have sworn

It's more like

This is one of my pet bugaboos but
    you can’t cloak things in space arghhhh!!!

(Yes I know this in an absurd thing to get hung up on in star wars.)

• Options
    I’ll concede, good points all.

More thoughts! I have a feeling Chewie will be the last survivor of the old guard. There’s no real thematic reason to kill him, and he doesn’t appear to be old physically. I hope he does!

• Options

More thoughts! I have a feeling Chewie will be the last survivor of the old guard. There’s no real thematic reason to kill him, and he doesn’t appear to be old physically. I hope he does!

Chewie being the only classic character to survive would be really funny from a meta perspective

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Chewie being the only classic character to survive would be really funny from a meta perspective

Oh man i didn't even think about that. I hope he drops a moon on Kylo Ren.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think it is canonical for Wookiees to be very long-lived, like a couple hundred years?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Klendy wrote: »

hard disagree. i'm with @Tube

its not

edit:
    unless we're just straight up calling him a liar at this point, RJ went over why he included the dice in the WGA Q&A and it has 0 to do with the Han Solo movie.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    I could have sworn

It's more like

You can in Star Wars! The Emperor's three wing ship had it.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    one thing I've been thinking about

Luke/general spoilers
    I don't think Luke himself was convinced that the Jedi should end, even early on in the movie.

When Yoda calls down the lightning Luke say's something like "So the jedi SHOULD end" as if he wasn't really sure and needed Yoda's confirmation.
    Yeah I got the distinct impression that Luke had spent all those years on that island beating himself up and going back and forth with himself on what he should do. Those were the words of a man full of inner conflict and his desire to end things was borne more out of guilt and his disappointment with himself than a true confidence in what needed to happen. He was speaking forcefully, but he was not speaking with the Force. If Rey hadn't shown up he'd probably spend every day waking up muttering about how the Jedi need to end, then standing in front of the temple with an unlit torch for a couple of hours, then crying and going back to bed.

He does look very relieved to see yoda. As if he were thinking "oh thank christ I can finally put this to bed". He still needed Yoda's guidance just as much as he needed it in the back half of the OT. And Yoda's lesson ended up being what he searched out the first Jedi temple to learn in the first place.
    I can only imagine the weight of everyone seeing you as this great, wise, spiritual leader, and being completely unsure of what to do and having no one you can turn to for guidance. Even the greatest leaders need an outside perspective sometimes

If only he had a sister with the weight of being a hero, a survivor, and a leader who could support him.

At this point Leia has lost the republic twice to an invading force twice in thirty years , even got her home planet destroyed . Not to mention this time she got clowned on by an army that had to deal with HUX being its leader. Its why I cringe whenever people point to Holdo or Leia or anyone in the republic being some amazing leader . I would expect more from a competent leader then having the entire republic instantly crumble every time someone has a "you know who was cool? The empire" idea. This is what the third time this happens? Which also raises the question as how effective a government they even have in peacetime if everything they try fails spectacularly. Yes poes idea was one in a million chance to succeed but :
    Was the plan of everybody evacuating in shuttles towards the one fucking planet in range any less desperate or likely to succeed ? It relies on an entire enemy fleet not having one single sonar/scanner on the entire time. Just seems to be stupidity all around . Maybe im just reading into this but hey its star wars if I have to read into something might as well be this [/spoilers]
    Holdo's plan would have worked just fine if not for Poe's interference. The shuttles had cloaking devices and were only discovered because DJ overheard Poe telling Rose and Finn the plan and sold them out after they were captured during their failed infiltration mission.
    They specifically say that they're using some kind of stealth tech. This is mentioned several times before the First Order is told how to find them on their scans.

• Options
    I could have sworn

It's more like

You can in Star Wars! The Emperor's three wing ship had it.

Tie phantoms!

This discussion has been closed.