Options

They are [Chat]ions!!!

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Pony, does killing wild animals/destroying machines count as violence on the same level as murdering sentient creatures such as humans?

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Not quite as related, I'm playing through Hollow Knight and it's a very good metroidvania with soooo many tough bug dudes to kill (lo siento, arch)

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Deus Ex and Dishonored would both count, yeah

How about all those HOPAs (Hidden Object Puzzle Adventures), 1st Person Adventure games (Myst, The Witness, etc.) and point n click adventure games? Most of those are nonviolent (Unless you meant, like, RPGs? Action games?

Yeah no, games where violence doesn't exist don't count

Making violence a non-thing doesn't address the issue. Giving the players options to address the threat of violence with stealth, negotiation, non-lethal force, etc. are what I am talking about.

Deus Ex and Dishonored both count.

Metal Gear games allow fully non-lethal runs.

But with actual game mechanic engagement, or by just avoiding everything and doing shenanigans?

(Honest question I don't play them)

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Eddy wrote:
    Carrying 218 pounds, entirely swords with no clothes whatsoever: running full-sprint off a blizzardy mountain to deftly kill thirty dragons
    Carrying 219 pounds: ded

I really wonder why more games don't have a direct carry weight/mobility scale

I wonder lots of things about games

I finished HZD last night, btw, tho not the DLC

I think most people are going to find that more infuriating because now every bit is slowing them down instead of just having to worry about threshold.

Well they're goofballs. Every little bit slowing you down (sometimes imperceptibly) is basically how it works in reality and it's a very intuitive system. Drop some of those swords, you greedy nerds!

This is how it works in Fallout and Skyrim. It isn't exactly an exotic mechanic.

I thought those games had a weight limit.

You're slower if you're wearing heavy armor but that's about it, no true sliding scale iirc

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Destiny’s inventory sizes are pathetic, and it is sad because it is otherwise makes some brilliant decisions. All the vendors vend, not one of them buys. It makes any decision you make about an item simple, keep or destroy for parts and currency. If only the inventory size wasn’t a limit.

What really blows me away is that things like shaders take up an inventory. But then they don't give you enough to really collect them. What's even weirder is that they don't try to milk you for more cash by making you buy inventory space like Marvel Heroes. Where they gave you a thousand collectibles and currency. But you had to pay bux to get the space to really hold it all if you were a hoarder.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Metal Gear is an odd one since the non lethal runs often run directly counter to the story being told

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Hollow Knight also has a lot of patches of ground where as soon as you touch them become pitfalls into one-hit KO spikes >:

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I forgot what I was gonna do at the computer :(

I did one thing but there was one more thing I'm reasonably sure.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Pony, does killing wild animals/destroying machines count as violence on the same level as murdering sentient creatures such as humans?

Nah, but killing sentient aliens and robots who within the fiction are presented as people absolutely does.

(lol I'm not a vegetarian)

Pony on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

How about all those HOPAs (Hidden Object Puzzle Adventures), 1st Person Adventure games (Myst, The Witness, etc.) and point n click adventure games? Most of those are nonviolent (Unless you meant, like, RPGs? Action games?

Making violence a non-thing doesn't address the issue. Giving the players options to address the threat of violence with stealth, negotiation, non-lethal force, etc. are what I am talking about.

But with actual game mechanic engagement, or by just avoiding everything and doing shenanigans?

Yeah, non-lethal runs are generally considered the "challenge" run for the game but they also are the only way to get the highest title at the end of the game (FOXHOUND) in the Solid games, IIRC.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    My wife groans a lot in those CSI/hospital types when they fictionalize a process for plot.

Like me during "enhance" and hacking segments of different shows.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    re: inventory chat

path of exile turned out to make much of its profit from storage space rather than from whales buying cosmetics

i wonder whether it's skewed the game toward introducing more mechanics for yet more items that take up loot space

Sort of. But they add in dedicated storage space for those items as it goes along. They just added storage space for maps just recently which cut down on used space elsewhere big time. They also expanded the currencty tab recently too so you can hold secondary items from older leagues and newer currency and shards.

They largely do right by their population on that front. Now if only they would add in an official trade system AH it would be a perfect-ish arpg.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Also bandits by their nature are not nice people. And while the correct punishment for their crimes is rarely execution the time and effort it would take to corral them all taken them to the nearest authorities might just be something players would find offputting.

(Maybe they should)

I feel like the reaction would be to not play the game instead of learning something valuable at that point.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

Mostly avoiding them but you can do things like shoot the guards with tranqualizer darts and hide the sleeping guards in lockers, etc.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I forgot what I was gonna do at the penis:(

Hiya Honk :)

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I am a somewhat nice person but sometimes it's fun to role-play a genocidal powermad berserker

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

As long as you disregard the forced boss battles in Human Revolution.

Man that was annoying.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    In Skyrim, the bandits should be legally outlaws and unpersons.

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I am a somewhat nice person but sometimes it's fun to role-play a genocidal powermad berserker

Well then you get games like Dishonored that let you do both

And have consequences for the latter.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017

Actually game mechanics. You have equipment used to incapacitate guards as opposed to killing them(tranquilizers and choking them vs bullets and stabbing). If you choose those methods they actually will wake up and not stay down forever which is pretty interesting. I'm fairly certain there are conversations in some of the games about this as well?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    BTW, i totally agree with thie endeavor, Pony.

The big game projects i'm tinkering on are all about nonviolent conflict resolution.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I don't think I killed a single person in MGSV in my canon playthrough, not even like, the bosses

so good

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Infamous made a big deal that you were super restraining people.

Unless you went all red mode and drained their life for health.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    I forgot what I was gonna do at the penis:(

Hiya Honk :)

Oh hi Gonmun!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Dishonoured is so good. I wish the missions had more than a binary KILL/NO KILL though, because it makes it feel like a stylistic rather than utilitarian decision.

Although there are several non-lethal solutions that are worse than death in the series, which adds an interesting wrinkle.

I plan to play through 2 with no powers soon. The gameplay is so solid and the level design so good that it might be even more fun than having powers.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Prototype had an achievement for only (only) eating I think 10 or fewer noncombatant civilians! That counts, right?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Haha actually for some reason I remember now what I was gonna do so thank you Gonmun.

• Options
    My walk through the river of the dead in MGS3 was... it was very long.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

Um are you forgetting the terrible torture and violence that Gehn, Atrus’s megalomaniacal father, inflicted on the native people of Riven, not to mention his forceful capture of Atrus’s wife Catherine, and the violent Rivenese rebel group the Black Moiety

wandering on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Prototype had an achievement for only (only) eating I think 10 or fewer noncombatant civilians! That counts, right?

Oh man

I uh, did not come close

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I like it when a show simply shuts off the power to stop a hacker intrusion.

• Options
    I liked Deus Ex for this

Still more fun to throw vending machines at everyone tho

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Considering the plot to that game...no. Not at all.

You’re literally the source of the infection destroying New York.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

"SIR, THEY'RE HACKING THE SYSTEM!"

"DID YOU TRY TURNING IT OFF AND ON AGAIN?"

"Oh hey yeah we're good to go now."

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I liked Deus Ex for this

Still more fun to throw vending machines at everyone tho

I have never played a non-lethal Deus Ex run. It's far too enjoyable to use a silenced shotgun.

• Options
    I always start GTA games thinking I'll follow along with the required shootouts of the story but spare civilians, but I'm so impatient it always takes like 30 minutes until I accidentally have run over a lot of people. And then I just start being lazy anyway and take shortcuts over corners regardless of if someone was standing there or not.

• Options
    Tyranny was fun too

• Options
    If I'm not meant to hack robots to overthrow they're flesh bag overlords in Deus Ex then what is even the point

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

The systems engineer in me is crying.

"Hope you documented your boot up order" heh.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You boys bein’ gay in here?

This discussion has been closed.