Options

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    SUPERHOT counts as cyberpunk

especially if you spent any time digging around in the rest of the files available to you, reading the chatlogs or lurking in the IRC channel, etc

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    we have conference room 2 and conference room C

there is no room 1 or room A

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    alternatively adam jensen voice "my dick is augmented" and then its like a telescoping baton

I never asked for this.
    But I like it.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

I love it. Chaos reigns

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    i'm not sure what isn't appealing about it aside from those genre tropes. it's good for the same reason that dystopian fiction is good.

Okay but I don’t generally care for dystopian fiction, really.

is this because you think it's bad or because you'd rather not read/watch doom and gloom when there's plenty of doom and gloom oppressing us in our actual lives

Both?

There’s something about cyberpunk that seems to glorify the squalor and misery of its setting, and if I’m being honest a lot of it is marred by growing up watching the generation only a little older than me caught up in entertainment where maladjusted antiheroes with shitty goatees and black trenchcoats fought ninja robots in dingy gutters . . . because it looked cool. So much of nerd culture during my tween years seemed like this, and it felt try-hard and hilariously oblivious and not a little tied to the same solipsistic assholes that would later coelesce into the festering clot of the internet’s nice guy/fedora/incel/neckbeard neighborhood.

I know I joke about being the oldest millennial, but while barely true, I identify as such because I identify with millennials and their lives and culture far more than I do GenX. I like bright, poppy, optimistic, inclusive shit. I like media that brings people together over shared interests and common goals. I like to laugh and smile and promote that in others. I like goofy shit. I don’t want to think about all the creative ways shit can get bleak; I want to celebrate all the ways we can do good with a genuine goddamn smile on my face.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    We don't name our conference rooms because that's dumb.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Government facilities have people who's sole job is to schedule conference rooms, and have grids of conference rooms, and it's actually an annoyingly hard job with an unusual amount of politics, because peons get bumped all the time, and get mad because they asked for that conference room weeks ago only to have division head muckity muck just boot them.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    you know what setting i want to see exploited
    paranoia
    make a paranoia crpg
    itd be good i promise

You could make that work because reloading is basically getting a new clone. It could be meta-amusing.

Unfortunately you can't play Paranoia anymore because nobody gets the cold war jokes and the ominous tone rings like post-ironic communist memeing now, rather than it being a black comedic take on the actual communist police states that existed when the game was written.
    um thats why you just explain the communist memeing the same way fallout does as a relic of the anxieties of friend computer's creators while still having plenty of material to work with in regards to police state since u kno FRIEND COMPUTER

Fallout also fails as a theme now. And hand-waving it away as a relic of unfounded anxiety saps a lot of the color from the genre given that it was written against a backdrop of actual police state horrors. Paranoia was dark comedy because people were getting actually shot to death trying to escape East Germany at the time. Now it's bereft fo context.

it's too hopelessly dated and outside the frame of experience of a generation that doesn't remember what happened before German reunification.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I wish we had names for our conference rooms. We're like "Meet over in the east one. Yeah by the break room. No not upstairs, downstairs." like every time

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    what I dislike about cyberpunk is that it is all too often extremely married to just the one hyper-specific aesthetic

can we stop copying blade runner now

make your own shit maybe it'll be real cool instead of "oh, you're doing blade runner"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Blade Runner is the best cy... wait, Fifth Element is the best cyberpunk movie.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    All of our conference rooms are named after ideals we should strive for as a company.

I use “honor” a lot.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

I love it. Chaos reigns

also conference room C is just a storage closet

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Blade Runner is the best cy... wait, Fifth Element is the best cyberpunk movie.

fifth element is the best future movie because they have their own unique culture and it is so absolutely stupid that it's almost realistic

• Options
    you know what setting i want to see exploited
    paranoia
    make a paranoia crpg
    itd be good i promise

You could make that work because reloading is basically getting a new clone. It could be meta-amusing.

Unfortunately you can't play Paranoia anymore because nobody gets the cold war jokes and the ominous tone rings like post-ironic communist memeing now, rather than it being a black comedic take on the actual communist police states that existed when the game was written.
    um thats why you just explain the communist memeing the same way fallout does as a relic of the anxieties of friend computer's creators while still having plenty of material to work with in regards to police state since u kno FRIEND COMPUTER

Fallout also fails as a theme now. And hand-waving it away as a relic of unfounded anxiety saps a lot of the color from the genre given that it was written against a backdrop of actual police state horrors. Paranoia was dark comedy because people were getting actually shot to death trying to escape East Germany at the time. Now it's bereft fo context.

it's too hopelessly dated and outside the frame of experience of a generation that doesn't remember what happened before German reunification.

Plenty of us like history enough to know about what happened before we were born

context doesn't go away just because you learn about it as history instead of as news

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    All of our conference rooms are named after ideals we should strive for as a company.

I use “honor” a lot.

This is painfully corporate and instinctively makes me want to revolt.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    every single office in bergen, and I have been in a bunch of them putting out their ugly furniture, has rooms named after the seven mountains, with other bergensia for further names, which is always the same names, too

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    what I dislike about cyberpunk is that it is all too often extremely married to just the one hyper-specific aesthetic

can we stop copying blade runner now

make your own shit maybe it'll be real cool instead of "oh, you're doing blade runner"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zDfxZ4NcE

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Our conference rooms are booked using a Lotus Notes workflow

Can you tell I work at a law firm

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I guess I should in theory give ready player one a chance but every excerpt I've read has made my brain start bleeding

I dunno if I would be able to power through it if every excerpt I've read has been illustrative of the whole thing

It seems like Joseph Campbell + some guy reading TV Tropes to you

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I use “honor” a lot.

you dare besmirch the honor of the conference room next to the kitchen!?

DRAW YOUR KATANA

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I use “honor” a lot.

This is an atrocity

• Options
    I haven't read the series in forever, but the Stainless Steel Rat series was fun cyberpunk.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    XX/XY ain't shit, ZZ/ZW is cool

Wait actually hmm

In XY systems that homogametic sex is women, and in ZW the homogametic sex is men

So XY makes homo ladies and ZW makes homo men

So choose based on your appropriate juvenile jokes I guess

Wait don't you have this backwards

No, he got it right

Ah yes, he did. I AM SORRY ARCH I WILL NEVER DOUBT U AGAIN
    I will continue to doubt Arch. Can't trust a six-legger.

You're right

With their paucity of legs, they will become jealous, and try to steal the legs of the trustworthies

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I use “honor” a lot.

I take it back, I no longer secretly wish I was qualified to work at your company :razz:

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I guess I should in theory give ready player one a chance but every excerpt I've read has made my brain start bleeding

I dunno if I would be able to power through it if every excerpt I've read has been illustrative of the whole thing

I know that I'd despise it, so I have not tried.
    People who know me well enough to know that I'm a nerd but not well enough to know I'm me have recommended it and I've always had to politely demur.

...relatedly, no one in any sphere of my life has responded to my recent requests for book recommendations, I think because they're concerned that I will viciously lambast their fave. Whoops...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    It feels like a Friday because the city is shambling towards snow terror

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I use “honor” a lot.

you dare besmirch the honor of the conference room next to the kitchen!?

DRAW YOUR KATANA

FOOL

You have exposed your flank to the blades of the treacherous office supply closet! Your end is near!

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Fifth Element is not, unless I have been grievously misinformed about the definition of the term, 'cyberpunk'. It is a startling contrast to the atmosphere, mood and preoccupations of cyberpunk.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

I think people give it too much shit. It's just massively popular and that has created a backlash against it.

It's just like The Dresden Files or those trashy Forgotten Realms books that were being written in the 90s, it just doesn't pretend to be anything but what it is. It is absolutely just a bunch of '80s references in a book wrapped in a young adult adventure story. It's not trying to be anything else, and yes it is written poorly.

But despite all of that, I managed to enjoy it.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Everything about Ready Player One makes my eyes roll

especially the author of the book

@Ludious

The video here is off-putting so I just recommend reading the transcript:

https://www.heypoorplayer.com/2017/07/28/second-opinion-ready-player-one-worst-thing-nerd-culture-ever-produced/
    Ready Player One is a 2011 novel that lifts its setting, premise, and most of its story beats from 1992’s Snow Crash, removes all of the self-awareness, badass action, and philosophical musings on the nature of the relationship between language and technology, replaces them with painfully awkward 80s references, and changes the main character from a samurai pizza deliveryman and freelance hacker to the asshole kid in your friend group who claimed he “didn’t need showers,” vomited onto the page by Ernest Cline. Its bestseller success and Cline’s subsequent 7-figure sale of the screenplay to Steven Spielberg is as close as we can get to objective proof that the meritocracy isn’t working.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

Wait actually hmm

In XY systems that homogametic sex is women, and in ZW the homogametic sex is men

No, he got it right

You're right

With their paucity of legs, they will become jealous, and try to steal the legs of the trustworthies

How dare you! A paucity of legs! I'll have you know that we have reduced the number of legs down to the most efficient and blessed number (3!) and have also made room for wings, so that we can become closer to the divine

you

you

bottom feeder

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I should read some trashy forgotten realms books

I remember reading one when I was a teenager where the protagonist fucked a vampire woman so hard that she reconsidered being evil

there were other plot details but they fade into background noise against such an artistic achievement as that

override367 on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I found Snow Crash unbearable when I read it. So I might not like Ready Player 1. I did however love The Quantum Thief.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Choosing between a Transformers movie and reading Ready, Player One is like Sophie's Choice but you hate both babies.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I would call 5th element cyberpunk.

Futuristic? Check.
    Technology/Science? Check.
    Grandiose story? Check.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Wait actually hmm

No, he got it right

You're right

How dare you! A paucity of legs! I'll have you know that we have reduced the number of legs down to the most efficient and blessed number (3!) and have also made room for wings, so that we can become closer to the divine

you

you

bottom feeder

Come and get me, motherfucker
    63a0eaaa7efc77df9b4a01f1a113f748.jpg

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I think people give it too much shit. It's just massively popular and that has created a backlash against it.

It's just like The Dresden Files or those trashy Forgotten Realms books that were being written in the 90s, it just doesn't pretend to be anything but what it is. It is absolutely just a bunch of '80s references in a book wrapped in a young adult adventure story. It's not trying to be anything else, and yes it is written poorly.

But despite all of that, I managed to enjoy it.

you have now named Ready Player One, Dresden Files, Forgotten Realms novels, and Transformers films--all absolutely things that are bad enough that people shouldn't waste their time on them, even if they're looking for silly pulpy fun

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I found Snow Crash unbearable when I read it. So I might not like Ready Player 1. I did however love The Quantum Thief.

Heh I definitely thought Snow Crash was pretty cool

I probably still think it's pretty cool

I should buy it; I almost certainly don't own it, or at least I haven't seen it around for a long time if I do

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The Transformers movies though had a bunch of individually talented people working on them.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.