As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get 2018 [chat]ted off right

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    So I need to do it at home. Got it. Anyway. I'm in a cute hipster coffee shop but the engineer in me is screaming at the architecture. That weight of the roof is being entirely supported through the outer walls, there's no center beam, and there are cables pulling on the joists across the space.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    Quick, how do I shrink a phone camera pic jpeg

imgur app + some things i still don't understand how to do properly

There’s a free iOS app called “Image Size” that lets you resize and crop photos to exact pixel dimensions, then you can upload to the forums directly using vanilla’s image attachment feature.

WHAT

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Oh, okay, you CAN add other outgoing servers in the GMail app.

Its a pain though right? I like that Apple breaks it all into separate connections in a clean way.

Actually, no, it was very easy, and the gmail app let me edit any settings I wanted.

The Apple method is fine, except that it is constantly misleading customers with the "Optional" already filled in to the outgoing settings.

It's totes not optional in our case.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Me: Here is the draft of my proposal, which I want to present at the end of this month and need to get to my committee two weeks before presentation, or else graduation is delayed by maybe 6 months.

Advisor: Wait let's look at your other data from the part of your proposal that I want you to do that is unrelated to the rest except tenuously.

Advisor: Yes you need this, I will look at your revisions after you add in all the preliminary data for the second project.

Me: :rotate: I don't think I can do this this month, so fuck me I guess

Your advisor seems like a silly goose, Shiv. Hope things start to go your way. :bro:

He's actually 90% great, despite my complaining. He can just be super frustrating, too. But, like, it definitely sucks that I have a part of my proposal that is duct-taped on that I don't even want to do right now. That stuff is interesting, but has nothing to do with answering a question posed fifty years ago, which I'm actually poised to do.

Grad school is a constant battle against despair.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Okay but can you configure my 2.5gig pst file to use pop3 on my blackberry?

i have a 48x48 jpg i'd like to get made into a poster

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    Quick, how do I shrink a phone camera pic jpeg

imgur app + some things i still don't understand how to do properly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

This is actual footage of my actual life.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2018
    Making a halfling burglar

Geth roll 2d4

Edit: 3'3", 43 lbs

2d4 8 [2d4=4, 4]

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    oh what's that you say

[chat]'s talking about a thing that's relevant to one of my secretly favorite youtube videos?

DON'T MIND IF I DO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxIol5wTFns

VH we were talking about 90s boy bands like

a couple days ago

not today

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Making a halfling burglar

Geth roll 2d4

i read that as halfling burger and now i'm hungry

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    credeiki wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Me: Here is the draft of my proposal, which I want to present at the end of this month and need to get to my committee two weeks before presentation, or else graduation is delayed by maybe 6 months.

Advisor: Wait let's look at your other data from the part of your proposal that I want you to do that is unrelated to the rest except tenuously.

Advisor: Yes you need this, I will look at your revisions after you add in all the preliminary data for the second project.

Me: :rotate: I don't think I can do this this month, so fuck me I guess

D:

are you sure it's non-negotiable?
    Do you still have to collect the preliminary data or does it exist but un-analyzed?

It exists, thankfully. Because of the machine I fkin designed for the lab, that I should have delayed implementing, because it's the only reason I have like twenty experiments done instead of ten.

I am just sufficiently out of fucks that I don't think I can get it together in a week, which it'd need to be. Especially given how fiddly this data is, and the outliers needed to remove.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Oh, okay, you CAN add other outgoing servers in the GMail app.

Its a pain though right? I like that Apple breaks it all into separate connections in a clean way.

Actually, no, it was very easy, and the gmail app let me edit any settings I wanted.

The Apple method is fine, except that it is constantly misleading customers with the "Optional" already filled in to the outgoing settings.

It's totes not optional in our case.

Ahh cool. I will admit its been awhile since I have looked at the android updates for it as I dont need exchange on my personal phone and we dont run android here at the Tribe as we had to choose one or the other.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Don't split the party also means not eating the rogue halfling chanus

Kruite on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Oh, speaking of my phone, the Samsung Tab S3 I got came with a USB A to C cable, so I was able to connect my phone to my PC. It looks like the Ringtones directory doesn't actually allow you to put anything in it, but I saw a post that had you add a Media directory to the Android directory, and then a Ringtone directory from there, and put a sound file in there, and it populated the Ringtone setting with the sound file, so I was able to finally set up a custom ringtone.

But it was a super convoluted way to go about it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    oh what's that you say

[chat]'s talking about a thing that's relevant to one of my secretly favorite youtube videos?

DON'T MIND IF I DO

I make it a point to look those videos up once a year just to remember the best of times.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    VH that's what I thought animojis were before the commercial with the singing unicorn head.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

that's small enough that it could look neat, depending on the nature of the image

even better, make it into a mini art quilt with like 1x1 inch pixels

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

that's small enough that it could look neat, depending on the nature of the image

ok that would be super cool actually

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    a 48x48 jpg is almost certain to look like complete nonsense blown up because the format wasn’t really designed for patches that small

a gif or png though, that would look like a nice mosaic

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hm I need to figure out what resolution I should work at digitally to make prints that are, say, 8.5 by 11 and look nice

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

The way fabric is, you could go for a very clean pixel sprite look or for a totally different look where each pixel actually contains some variance and internal structure by using fabrics with patterns or shading.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Touch screens didn't exist for me until ... the Nintendo DS.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    People who paste pictures into word documents and use word to resize the photo and then email
    that document in place of a picture should be sent to solitary for 20 years.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I just always assume any free utility app will
    1. somehow crater my battery life and use gigabytes of storage
    2. collect a shitload of data and send it to shady ad aggregators
    3. mine bitcoin in the backgroud
    4. 1-3 at once

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I’ve been using Image Size as well on my iPhone. It’s aces.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Hm I need to figure out what resolution I should work at digitally to make prints that are, say, 8.5 by 11 and look nice

300 dpi minimum, 600 dpi looks good and will be close to the bleed limit on conventional matte photo paper, and 1200 dpi is the theoretical max, not worth targeting, for most conventional printers.

5100x6600 is ideal for detailed work.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    VH that's what I thought animojis were before the commercial with the singing unicorn head.

i don't actually care about this distinction, i just love the dance that all six of them do in sync together at the chorus

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    "suck a fuck" is a good insult because
    1. rhymes
    2. not gendered or implying homophobia
    3. inherently baffling

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    well, that and everything else about the video

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

The way fabric is, you could go for a very clean pixel sprite look or for a totally different look where each pixel actually contains some variance and internal structure by using fabrics with patterns or shading.

i'm in let's go to ben franklin and pick out some fabric

• Options
    Geth roll 4d4 for how rich am I

how rich am I:
    4d4 10 [4d4=1, 2, 3, 4]

• Options

Work on a larger art board (like 17x22) at 300dpi

You can always compress/make something smaller, so the rule of thumb is go as big as your computer feels comfortable chugging at.

I like to ART
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I have found an instant-happy video. Bookmarked for rainy days.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

300 dpi minimum, 600 dpi looks good and will be close to the bleed limit on conventional matte photo paper, and 1200 dpi is the theoretical max, not worth targeting, for most conventional printers.

5100x6600 is ideal for detailed work.

perfect, thank you. i'll talk to the printer about what's useful, but when doing digital art you might as well work at the highest DPI that isn't cumbersome i suppose

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    oh what's that you say

DON'T MIND IF I DO

"secretly"

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    oh what's that you say

DON'T MIND IF I DO

"secretly"

Yeah, that's true, it's right there on my favorites list.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I have a 129GB photoshop file with a 300dpi 16 bit 5 meters by 2 meters or something poster.

That's not what was printed but I run a ship of always keeping the theoretical max detail in a file somewhere even though it'll never be used again.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    I have a 129GB photoshop file with a 300dpi 16 bit 5 meters by 2 meters or something poster.

That's not what was printed but I run a ship of always keeping the theoretical max detail in a file somewhere even though it'll never be used again.

There is no reason for this, but I totally understand why you have it.

Anything that big is almost certainly going to be printed at 150dpi anyway isn't it?

I like to ART
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't even have 129 gb of free space on my hard drive

This discussion has been closed.