As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] NEVER NEVER NEVER ok

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    This is sure to help in negotiations!

DUP lawmaker slams ‘nutcase’ Irish prime minister

Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar was accused on Wednesday of being naive, inexperienced and arrogant for siding with European Union negotiators in Brexit talks.

Sammy Wilson, Brexit spokesman for the Democratic Unionist Party’s 10 MPs in Westminster, branded the prime minister a “nutcase” and claimed there had been a change of tone from Dublin since Varadkar took office last June.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Member of the EU sides with the EU. That's shocking, that is.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Oh, forgot to say Varadkar at one point said “All European countries are small on the world stage, even if some don’t know it yet.”

He was also asked about the current status of Catalonia and said he hoped Spain would engage with the current Catalonian government as dialogue was the only way to resolve the issue.

Overall his speech was very pro-EU with a distinctly center right flavour once you got into the detail.

Hasn't the EU always been a bit centre right anyway?

The EU itself? yes. It's easy to forget that there's a very wide spectrum of economic and social polities within the EU, and the average EU citizen's day to day life is far more directly involved with their local and state government. The EU is much more about inter-state economic co-ordination, with a bracing seasoning of very liberal social policy co-ordination.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

To be fair, for half the UK it is a bit shocking.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

To be fair, for half the UK it is a bit shocking.

What planet are these people on and how do I get there? I'd love to take a weekend trip or something just to see what its like.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It's another drop in the bucket of British people thinking they're owed something on the basis of "we're British." Why would he expect Ireland to have Britain's back?

Edit - Brexit-aligned British people, sorry, meant to make that distinction.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

But the Irish traditionally loved doing what the British wanted them to do!

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Yes, as I recall the Irish Question was famously the people of Ireland asking “what do you want us to do, beneficent overlords?”

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    It's another drop in the bucket of British people thinking they're owed something on the basis of "we're British." Why would he expect Ireland to have Britain's back?

Edit - Brexit-aligned British people, sorry, meant to make that distinction.

This guy is a member of the DUP, it's an article of faith for him that the Irish are the enemy, so it's genuinely perplexing to me that he's shocked they didn't take his side.

Or he's not at all and is just using it as an excuse to yell at the Taoiseach.

Probably option number 2 now i think of it.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Well they've stopped giving us 12 points at Eurovision so clearly that special relationship has had its day!

• Options
    Oh, for Christ's sake:

Boris Johnson suggests 'bridge' between UK and France
    Boris Johnson has floated the idea of new crossing between the UK and France, tweeting that the Channel Tunnel could be "just a first step".

The UK foreign secretary reportedly raised the idea of a new "fixed link" between the two countries during a summit with the French President.

The idea was greeted with some scepticism. Labour's Emily Thornberry said she assumed it was "not real".

While others used the contentious £350m claim used by Vote Leave during the EU Referendum campaign against Mr Johnson or compared it to Donald Trump's famous campaign promise to build a wall between the US and Mexico.

Just give Boris a copy of Sim City (4, not the remake. Actually, he deserves the remake), and tell him it's linked to the real world somehow.
    Then lock the door.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Big idea, no detail, something he can slap his name on and maybe distract from anything else that might be going on, designed mostly to raise his own profile, old buddies at the Telegraph sticking it on their front page. Yep, this is a patented Boris Idea.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Big idea, no detail, something he can slap his name on and maybe distract from anything else that might be going on, designed mostly to raise his own profile, old buddies at the Telegraph sticking it on their front page. Yep, this is a patented Boris Idea.

See also: Thames Estuary Airport

• Options
    I imagine the main reason is to distract from Macron's speech, and the Tory press are only too happy to oblige.

It's especially annoying when considering the last bridge Boris tried to slap his name on was such an unmitigated and now cancelled disaster.

• Options
    Boris wrote:
    "Our economic success depends on good infrastructure and good connections."
    Well, he's got a point there.
    I mean, how stupid would we have to be to do something that threatens our good connections with Europe?

• Options
    I wonder how hard Boris has thought about the customs and security the bridge will need to have. We apparently can't search what comes through the channel tunnel thoroughly enough to please his own party, now he wants another way in for foreigners to steal our benefits and also simultaneously take our jobs?

• Options
    edited January 2018

The twitter account of the UK trade association for shipping. No doubt Boris has thought all this through and anyone saying different is a damn remoaning naysayer

Bogart on
  • Options
    He means an Einstein-Rosen bridge, to allow for travel through a wormhole

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    As already said, it amazes me he has the balls to suggest a bridge over the Channel, when he ended up wasting how much money in trying to get the public to build a bridge over a bit of the Thames that didn't need it (with other parts in desperate need) that would then be given to a private company to run (and fucking charge people to use).

I'd ask what could Boris point to, that he did as London mayor, but he'd probably point at everything. I can't think of anything.

What a complete and utter oxygen parasite.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Here's an article from August on his personal projects

By the busload: £940m bill for Boris Johnson's mayoral 'vanity projects'

The figure is the total spent on eight projects closely associated with the former mayor, including the pedestrian bridge for the Thames that was abandoned this week, which either failed or whose value for money has been questioned.
    Three Johnson projects ended in failure at a cost of more than £57.5m: the Garden Bridge; the purchase of water cannon; and the Thames estuary airport.

Five others: the new Routemaster bus; hire bikes; the Emirates Air Line cable car; the conversion of the Olympic stadium and the ArcelorMittal Orbit helter-skelter, all did go ahead at a combined cost of more than £900m. They have run into problems after turning out to be far more expensive than promised.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I imagine the main reason is to distract from Macron's speech, and the Tory press are only too happy to oblige.

It's especially annoying when considering the last bridge Boris tried to slap his name on was such an unmitigated and now cancelled disaster.

Just another in his proud line of innovations, along with those new busses that were too hot to ride were supposed to have two conductors, but don’t because that’s obviously twice as expensive.

And that cable car thing that was built on a route no-one wants to use.

And the Olympic stadium that loses a bunch of money despite supposed to have been profit earning.

• Options

The twitter account of the UK trade association for shipping. No doubt Boris has thought all this through and anyone saying different is a damn remoaning naysayer

I am not an expert in either shipping or engineering and this is literally the first thing that came into my head when I read the news headline.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I am not an expert in either shipping or engineering and this is literally the first thing that came into my head when I read the news headline.

That's the plan! Now ships can't get to North sea ports so will have to trade with brexit Britain instead!

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »

That's the plan! Now ships can't get to North sea ports so will have to trade with brexit Britain instead!

More likely they'll land in France and do overland transit to another port.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Just another in his proud line of innovations, along with those new busses that were too hot to ride were supposed to have two conductors, but don’t because that’s obviously twice as expensive.

And that cable car thing that was built on a route no-one wants to use.

And the Olympic stadium that loses a bunch of money despite supposed to have been profit earning.

To be fair the cable car was sold more as a tourist attraction at the time. Of course even tourists could see that taking the tube at half the cost was a better option.

The stadium was an interesting one. Spurs wanted to use it but then said that they would have to tear it down and build a new one. This did not sit well as the legacy of the Olympics (and the people responsible for it) was tied to the stadium itself. This left West Ham as the only serious option and the government were so scared of the stadium becoming a white elephant that they agreed to just about everything West Ham demanded.

The less said about about the garden bridge the better, Boris should have taken the hint when no corporate sponsorship came in but no, he carried regardless.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Now that's just talking britain down! They'll unload at the south coast facilities prior Tory governments let rot and drive Overland' to the bridge, stopping for innovative jams at our service stations.

Dis' on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

It even undermines places like Hull and Newcastle. Contempt for everything north of Oxford? Perfect!

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Now that's just talking britain down! They'll unload at the south coast facilities prior Tory governments let rot and drive Overland' to the bridge, stopping for innovative jams at our service stations.

Unless those jams are 50% cocaine, they're not innovative enough to make it worth going through that.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Unless those jams are 50% cocaine, they're not innovative enough to make it worth going through that.

Boris is probably using up all the cocaine himself.

• Options

Don't tell people the secret ingredient of our innovative jams!

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Dude is definitely snorting something.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Boris is getting high on his love for Britain and all you lot talking him down are just remoaners.

aaaaand scene.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Dude is definitely snorting something.

Maybe he read about when Ozzy Osbourne snorted a line of ants, and was all "hold my champers".

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What on earth is an ArcelorMittal Orbit helter-skelter

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    This thing. A £22MM slide which costs £16.50 to go down, with each additional ride after that £5.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    This thing. A £22MM slide which costs £16.50 to go down, with each additional ride after that £5.

First sentence from the wiki link there:
    The ArcelorMittal Orbit (often referred to as the Orbit Tower or its original name, Orbit, and, humorously, as Boris's Johnson) is a 114.5-metre-high sculpture and observation tower in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford, London.
    Good times.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

First sentence from the wiki link there:
    The ArcelorMittal Orbit (often referred to as the Orbit Tower or its original name, Orbit, and, humorously, as Boris's Johnson) is a 114.5-metre-high sculpture and observation tower in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford, London.
    Good times.

I legit lol'd.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I can't tell if that's one of those Wiki snipe edits or an actual name people called that thing.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I can't tell if that's one of those Wiki snipe edits or an actual name people called that thing.

I am 100% certain it's real.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Hmmm

I vaguely recall there being a feasibility study on this a long time ago, when the nation was gripped by channel tunnel mania

This discussion has been closed.