As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread needs a reboot

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm looking for movies that feature Mazes or Labyrinths in them. Google is reporting the same five or six (labyrinth, dark city, inception) but I know there have to be more, especially ones before 1980. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dungeons & Dragons. Which, for all its (many) faults, does what it says on the tin.
    As far as I can work out, the alleged "maze" in that movie is three rooms in the basement of a pub with the roof knocked out so the pub patrons can watch.

And one of those "rooms" is the connecting corridor.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Dark City is a fantastic movie

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Pan's Labyrinth!

It's not pre-1980, but that movie is effing good.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Archangle wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm looking for movies that feature Mazes or Labyrinths in them. Google is reporting the same five or six (labyrinth, dark city, inception) but I know there have to be more, especially ones before 1980. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dungeons & Dragons. Which, for all its (many) faults, does what it says on the tin.
    As far as I can work out, the alleged "maze" in that movie is three rooms in the basement of a pub with the roof knocked out so the pub patrons can watch.

And one of those "rooms" is the connecting corridor.

I dunno, it's been a long, long time. The only other thing I remember about it was that the CGI orcs in the tavern - why were there orcs in a tavern anyway? - looked pretty good for the time. And Jeremy Irons just going into full-on ham.

In the realms of fantasy movies, it really is amazing that there was all of a year - a year! - between D&D and The Fellowship of the Ring. They couldn't be much further apart in every other respect.

Jazz on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Mazes and Monsters is a far out game

holy god what is this

A Jack Chick style alarmist anti-DnD made-for-TV movie that starred Tom Hanks.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I rewatched the two good Indiana Jones movies last night. We were actually only going to watch 1, but we forgot which one Sean Connery was in, so it turned into a night for both Raiders and Last Crusade

Raiders actually aged worse than I had expected it to. The sets and especially the lighting is kind of cheap-looking now, the action sequences are just OK, and Marian is just a mess. The movie can't really seem to decide if she's cool or just another useless dame, and so she ricochets all over the place, a rough-talking, cynical woman in one scene, to a useless sheltered damsel in the next scene. Also the movie is clearly trying to do a noir-ish thing where Indy broke up with her once and it broke her heart, but the way the scene is written it sounds way more like Indiana Jones is a pedophile who preyed on Marian as a teenager. They just don't really seem to know what they want her character to be.

Also, and this is a theme that'll continue through Lost Crusade, Indiana Jones is terrible at his job. All of his plans suck! When he discovers that the nazis are digging in the wrong place for the arc, his plan is... Sneak into their camp and dig in the RIGHT spot, only for Indy to be somehow surprised when the nazis wake up in the morning and immediately spot that someone is clearly digging shit up over on that nearby hill. Like... Dude, really?

The joke that I totally missed as a kid: that all of Dr. Jones' college students are staring dreamily into his beautiful eyes. Which is mostly young blond women, but there's a couple of male students and one leaves an apple on Indy's desk for him.

Last Crusade is pretty great though. For one thing it easily has the best female character of the trilogy - even if she is a nazi. But she actually makes decisions that are understandable based on her characterization right on through the whole movie. Also Sean Connery is amazing. Like just watch a clip of Connery walking around as Bond, and then watch his body language as Indy's dad, it's such a wonderful difference. Also damn is Dr. Jones a shitty dad.

Also by far the most underrated sequence is in the library tomb with the rats. I'm not even freaked out by rats, but I can totally see that sequence giving you issues about rats! It's great!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I saw Raiders for the first time all the way through five or six years ago, and when I tried to say it wasn't that great, Jeffe infracted me. Zero points, but still.

His plans *are* half-baked and the action sequences *are* mostly just okay. He had zero impact on the bad guys ultimately being defeated and only knew how not to get melted himself because ????. I just didn't know what to make of it.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    If bad taste was infractable I would have powerbombed the report button through the pavement on those two posts.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Also the movie is clearly trying to do a noir-ish thing where Indy broke up with her once and it broke her heart, but the way the scene is written it sounds way more like Indiana Jones is a pedophile who preyed on Marian as a teenager.

That's one of the biggest WTF moments in the franchise, where I'm puzzled why Lucas and/or Spielberg thought it was a good idea to put that in. They're lucky that didn't impact Indy's influence on pop culture, or how the audience saw the character itself. Things were problematic back then, but I don't recall the public being cool with pedophile heroes.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Also the movie is clearly trying to do a noir-ish thing where Indy broke up with her once and it broke her heart, but the way the scene is written it sounds way more like Indiana Jones is a pedophile who preyed on Marian as a teenager.

That's one of the biggest WTF moments in the franchise, where I'm puzzled why Lucas and/or Spielberg thought it was a good idea to put that in. They're lucky that didn't impact Indy's influence on pop culture, or how the audience saw the character itself. Things were problematic back then, but I don't recall the public being cool with pedophile heroes.

How old was she supposed to have been? Because well that was pretty “normal”.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    I saw Raiders for the first time all the way through five or six years ago, and when I tried to say it wasn't that great, Jeffe infracted me. Zero points, but still.

His plans *are* half-baked and the action sequences *are* mostly just okay. He had zero impact on the bad guys ultimately being defeated and only knew how not to get melted himself because ????. I just didn't know what to make of it.

Googling... he knew not to look at it actually because Bible says so:
    1 Samuel 6:19:
    And he smote the men of Bethshemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the Lord, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men...

also there was some dialogue earlier about it that was cut from the final version.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Got the bluray of Blade Runner 2049. Still good, but not as breathtaking as it was in the theater. I probably won't be watching it in a regular basis but I'm glad to have it around.

Something bugged me this time around that I hadn't noticed before. How does the Wallace organization know about the existence of the child? K doesn't say anything to them about it afaik. I guess they could have been listening through the emanator, or they have a snitch in the police station.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    On the one hand, that's cool, but it's a failure of the movie that it's not made explicit.

On the other, Dr. Jones is a skeptic at the start of the movie and he's not shown to change nor have any reason to over the course of the film. Which is another failure.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Raiders is a masterpiece, and you guys are on crack.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Raiders is a masterpiece, and you guys are on crack.

THANK YOU

• Options
    If you can explain how my last post isn't bad filmmaking, I'd be happy to reconsider my opinion.

If it is bad filmmaking, I'm unsure how you can call it a masterpiece.

• Options
    edited January 2018

She says "10 years ago", and while I'm not sure how old Marian is supposed to be, she only looks like she's in her 20s

She also says "I was a child!"

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Let me tell you about the sublime masterwork that is Indiana Jones and the Something of the Crystal Skulls.

One scene leads to the next effortlessly, it's like the character hasn't been gone from film for 20 years. The CGI is so good I couldn't tell where the real monkeys and ground squirrels ended and the fake ones began.

Casting Shia the Beef as a greaser as well as Indy and Marion's son was an inspired choice that will go down as the greatest casting decision of the 21st century.

The bold choice to stray from Judeo-Christian relics and Nazi villains, as in the previous masterwork Temple of Doom , lends the film a certain je ne sais qua rarely seen in films of this nature.

In the hands of lesser mortals, this film could have been seen as a disaster, a naked cash grab by aging auteurs desperate to wring one last paycheck out of a dead IP. I'm just glad that isn't the case. 5 crystal skulls out of 5.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Also btw lets not forget that the principal villain for the first half of Raiders is an evil nazi monkey spy.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

She says "10 years ago", and while I'm not sure how old Marian is supposed to be, she only looks like she's in her 20s

She also says "I was a child!"

So a mid-teenager, high school age?
    Looking at the dialogue, it sounds like she flirted with a cool friend of her dad's (late twenties?), he took her up on it, and neither of them were as emotionally prepared to deal with the result as they thought they were going in. (The burden definitely falls on Indy, though, who should have known better.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    I believe it's implied he was a grad student and she was probably a teenager so probably a ten year age difference and a decade since they split with him now in his mid 30 s and she in her mid twenties

• Options
    Super gross.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Young people are dumb, hormonal, and make bad choices. But I repeat myself.
    (And from my own observation/recollection of my school years, it's not uncommon for teenaged girls to crush on and show interest in older men - most of whom, one hopes, have the good sense not to take them up on it - because the boys their own age are idiots.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Like I definitely think the script meant to just make it sound like he broke up with her as he left on some cool adventure, and she was pissed at him over it. It seems like a half thought out throwaway line to establish that they've got a bit of history.

But it comes across like Indy screwed a teenager, left, and now he's coming back and is just smirking about it.

It's kind of awkward

• Options
    If you can explain how my last post isn't bad filmmaking, I'd be happy to reconsider my opinion.

On the contrary, I think your last post is bad filmmaking.

• Options
    (And from my own observation/recollection of my school years, it's not uncommon for teenaged girls to crush on and show interest in older men - most of whom, one hopes, have the good sense not to take them up on it - because the boys their own age are idiots.)

It's not her fault she was a dumb teenager, Indy was the adult in that situation - what's his excuse?

• Options
    Raiders is so good Steven Soderbergh removed the colour, music and sound and put that version on his website and invited people to watch it and see whether they could follow the story. Invariably, they could. It's lit beautifully, staged amazingly well, has one of the best chase sequences in movies, impressive real stunts, genuinely funny jokes (Indy getting hit with the mirror makes me laugh every time) and has not once failed to entertain me for the whole length of its running time. It's full of beautiful moments: the one shot where Marion wins the drinking contest, the whole opening scene, the bit where they explain what the ark is to the two government stooges and get across practically all the exposition the movie has, the fine supporting cast, the glorious score, the sheer storytelling deftness Spielberg has, the bit in the marketplace, and on and on and on.

If you don't like it, godspeed, but I doubt I'm ever going to be convinced it's 'bad film-making'.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The fact that the exposition takes place in a literal lecture setting is great.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Got the bluray of Blade Runner 2049. Still good, but not as breathtaking as it was in the theater. I probably won't be watching it in a regular basis but I'm glad to have it around.

Something bugged me this time around that I hadn't noticed before. How does the Wallace organization know about the existence of the child? K doesn't say anything to them about it afaik. I guess they could have been listening through the emanator, or they have a snitch in the police station.

They probably had a hunch about it when the number got flagged, and could have confirmed it with the remains right?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »

They probably had a hunch about it when the number got flagged, and could have confirmed it with the remains right?

I'd assume they thought there was something hinky about Rachel since they broke into a cop station and killed a person in order to obtain her remains.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Having liked The Lobster a lot, I wasn’t prepared for disliking The Killing of a Sacred Deer quite a bit. It’s an effective piece of filmmaking, but I don’t particularly like what it does nor do I see the overall point. It improves as it goes on IMO, but the first half hour and the utter disdain it seems to have for all its characters (which I didn’t feel to be the case with The Lobster) hobble the film fatally, as far as I’m concerned.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I've honestly never really thought about the (unknown?) age difference in Raiders; I don't know if it's because I'm from the UK and that someone in school, could be 18, while someone finishing University can be 22. I knew plenty of people in my first year, who had girlfriends back home who were still at school.

Also, there's about a 10 year age difference between my dad and my mum and they're still together after 40 years (I guess she would have been really early 20's when they first started going out).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Going by their actual age - she was 19, he was 28.

• Options
    One thing about the Indy films, and about Spielberg in general, I guess, is that even the bad or not-as-good ones (KotCS aside, though it does have some nice shots) have absurdly good storytelling. It's something you don't notice in a movie until it's not there, but at no point in any of the first three Indy films am I in any doubt who is where, what is happening, the important features of the environment or how this shot links to the last shot.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

It's not her fault she was a dumb teenager, Indy was the adult in that situation - what's his excuse?

He's a fictional character written a certain way to create friction between two main characters with a 2 minute scene that references events and that doesn't state that they fucked and he might have just lead her on and then dumped her to go off and see the world?

There are things to be mad about in the world, this is not one of them.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

He's a fictional character written a certain way to create friction between two main characters with a 2 minute scene that references events and that doesn't state that they fucked and he might have just lead her on and then dumped her to go off and see the world?

There are things to be mad about in the world, this is not one of them.

Fictional characters are allowed to be scrutinized for weird or atrocious behavior, you may not agree with this specific instance but it is a thing that audiences do with fiction. Further still this was a character who was, and is, an icon to millions to the present day. Under the best of circumstances Indy still comes off looking like an ass, and this is where ambiguity hurts rather than helps. That's why it's such a bizarre choice for Lucas and Spielberg to green light, I'm curious what there comments have been about why they put the scene in for context off screen.

I'm not mad exactly, but I'm not happy with it either.

Nor is this the only time an iconic character has done something which hasn't aged well with underage characters. For example, in the 60's Reed Richards was an old man when he knew Sue as a child in Fantastic Four, and in the original X-men run Xavier had a crush on Jean Grey.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Remember, this is in the past where some people marry sixteen years olds.

The Indy thing is not that shocking in context.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Ooh we're talking about Raiders? I get to post a thing!

http://extension765.com/soderblogh/18-raiders

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    retroactively scouring great older movies for things to be upset about in our modern context is a thing you can do but it sure seems like a fast track to hating everything and shooting fun in the head.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I imagine their relationship got revealed to her dad/his prof like that scene in 22 Jump Street.

This discussion has been closed.