As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Uncanny X-Thread: Now with a helpful OP!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    august wrote: »
    Oh wait, I forgot

Mystique is evil again now again.

For a while.

And Rouge is going to be in a coma for a while I guess.

Edge of my seat over here.

EDIT: Also, I wonder what the count is for the number of times the X-Mansion has been demolished in-continuity?
    Like 5 within the last 3 months.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rogue!!

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Having telekinetics, super strong guys, Forge, and an assload of money at your disposal helps with all of the mansion demolishing.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You'd think it would also help with making the thing harder to destroy the 4th time you rebuild it, but I guess not.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I dunno, guys. I am really not sold on this event. It seems interchangeable with every other event since I stopped reading in the 90s. Gambit is mysterious and maybe a rouge but not really. Cable is mysterious and maybe a rouge but not really. Mister Sinister does mysterious shit for mysterious reasons. And big crowds of semi-entertaining-to-crappy mutants pound on each other for some reason and accomplish precisely dick. Maybe if there's a big awesome reveal at the end or character development or something I'll pick up the trade.

Have you been reading it at all?

The biggest difference is how well its written. And the fact than rather that just be "oh shit time for a crossover" it's a logical extension of storylines that have been building through the X-books for awhile. Thats what makes it stand out.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I dunno, guys. I am really not sold on this event. It seems interchangeable with every other event since I stopped reading in the 90s. Gambit is mysterious and maybe a rouge but not really. Cable is mysterious and maybe a rouge but not really. Mister Sinister does mysterious shit for mysterious reasons. And big crowds of semi-entertaining-to-crappy mutants pound on each other for some reason and accomplish precisely dick. Maybe if there's a big awesome reveal at the end or character development or something I'll pick up the trade.

Have you been reading it at all?

The biggest difference is how well its written. And the fact than rather that just be "oh shit time for a crossover" it's a logical extension of storylines that have been building through the X-books for awhile. Thats what makes it stand out.

Get out of here with your differing opinion. You're getting in the way of the all important bitching about the 90s.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Frankly, the last issue wasn't all that well written to me, but it's still not terrible.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How did Cable get the name Cable? Nothing about him suggests that moniker.

And isn't Mister Sinister a doctor? Why doesn't he go by Doctor Sinister?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember one comic mentioned it might be because he was 'strung together with hi-tech cybernetic cable'. But it's probably just because it sounds cool. I mean, Liefeld created the character all by himself...

From what Wikipedia says, it sounds like Sinister was supposed to be a little kid pretending to be an adult, originally. So putting Mister in front of his name would make him sound more grown up, I guess. Mister Sinister sounds like a name an eight-year-old would think up for himself. Like Ravenshadow.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's odd to name someone after their disability, especially when it has nothing to do with their powers. You might as well refer to Spider-Man as "Everyone He Loves Dies" or Superman as "Mr. Exploding Planet".

I would have liked Mister Sinister more if he had been a kid, I think. I mean a mad scientist pretty much is described as a being with over-developed intelligence and under-developed maturity, what with the way they're always whining about people laughing at them and, "Who's laughing now?!"

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

It's because he's a link/cable from the future to the present. But mostly because it sounds cool.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    You'd think it would also help with making the thing harder to destroy the 4th time you rebuild it, but I guess not.

"Hey guys? Next time, let's just build this place outta Lego."

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shouldn't Rahne have moral objections to X-Force work?
    Rictor's probably gonna die and send her over the edge or something.

Dragging this up from a few pages back because Newsarama has a interview with Yost and Kyle about X-force. Kyle says this:
    Craig Kyle wrote:
    Rahne is not a killer and should not be on this team…
    That said, she has a reason so personal and compelling nothing will keep her from joining them.

The spoiler's not much of one, but better safe than sorry.

Here's a link to the interview.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That's pretty much code for "Someone close to her bites it"

And seeing as how Jamie's still around after all this, that leaves....

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ringo wrote: »

Well, the crystals are gone, and he's been screwing with the bull.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Does Sinister even use the 'Mister' anymore? Everyone just calls him Sinister... I can't remember the last time someone said 'Mr. Sinister.'

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Does Sinister even use the 'Mister' anymore? Everyone just calls him Sinister... I can't remember the last time someone said 'Mr. Sinister.'

I think it was the guy from Papa Johns.

It did not end well.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

That is one peculiar metaphor

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Well, you've heard the saying "screw with the bull, you'll get the horns"?

The crystals are a separate thing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

teen2.jpg

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

teen2.jpg

vernon.jpg

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The newer pic (first posted) is from Not Another Teen Movie, unless I'm mistaken.

(which is hilarious, btw)

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The newer pic (first posted) is from Not Another Teen Movie, unless I'm mistaken.

(which is hilarious, btw)

Indeed. Same line, same actor, two different movies.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    He has the horns out for like 5 mins. if I remember Not Another Teen Movie correctly. Are there any Messiah Complex books coming out tomorrow?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think X-Factor comes out tomorrow.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am going to be so sad when Rictor bites it.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I simply can't keep up with Marvel. Having to read different X-Men magazines in order to follow a story it's nearly impossible with importing. I just read Messiah Complex #1 and I had no idea what was going on.
    I haven't seen forge in a gazillion years, Xavier is back and walking and I don't even know why he was gone the first place, I kinda remember Maddox dying, why the hell is Gambit with Sinister. I gotta see if I get some list with the order of the comics or something.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I am going to be so sad when Rictor bites it.

He's mentioned in the March solicits, so he ain't gonna die for a while.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gambit has been a "bad guy" for like at least 2 years now. Xavier went missing after House of M, which was the big marvel event 2 years ago, he came back powerless but with the use of his legs during the Deadly Genesis miniseries, then regained his powers during the "Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" arc last year.

None of those things really are important for Messiah Complex.

Madrox has never died that I can recall (unless you count a few of his dupes in X-Factor)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't understand why they're so sure that a Madrox who dies in a potential future would be able to transfer his knowledge all the way to the past. Is there some sort of precedent for this?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Gambit has been a "bad guy" for like at least 2 years now. Xavier went missing after House of M, which was the big marvel event 2 years ago, he came back powerless but with the use of his legs during the Deadly Genesis miniseries, then regained his powers during the "Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire" arc last year.

None of those things really are important for Messiah Complex.

Madrox has never died that I can recall (unless you count a few of his dupes in X-Factor)
    Thanks, when the comics were sold here in Portugal we were WAAAY behind, so it's hard to keep up.
    The last I heard of Gambit, they left him in Alaska because they found out what he did. I think.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I don't understand why they're so sure that a Madrox who dies in a potential future would be able to transfer his knowledge all the way to the past. Is there some sort of precedent for this?
    I dunno, because recently, if a dupe died, the knowledge died with him.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    Thanks, when the comics were sold here in Portugal we were WAAAY behind, so it's hard to keep up.
    The last I heard of Gambit, they left him in Alaska because they found out what he did. I think.

That was a very long time ago, and is unrelated to Gambit going bad this time around.
    Gambit was retconned into having led the Marauders into the Morlock tunnels during the Mutant Massacre, and this was the big secret he was always worrying about people finding out back in the day. It came out, the X-Men (ludicrously) dumped him in the Arctic as punishment. This time around he (for no good reason) joined up with Apocalypse as one of his horsemen, turned blue and started shooting poison gas out of his fingertips, then fell in with Sinister, but is possibly a double agent of some kind. He's basically a character badly in need of either death or a complete overhaul.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Cheers Bogart.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:

• Options
    edited December 2007
    To be fair, the current writers had nothing to do with him becoming a Horseman, and the fact that they've already dropped that stupid blue skin poison gas shit is a good thing. Hopefully they keep it up and he's a useable character by the end of the crossover.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I liked the way his last solo book portrayed him - basically without scruples, but not actually evil, and pretty funny to boot. I don't think he ever really clicked as part of the team. About 90% of his X-Men screentime was endless moping and angst about Rogue (and vice versa, before Carey got his hands on her) that interested no-one outside of Rogue & Remy shippers. They might retool him and make him rejoin, but let's be honest, his heyday was fifteen years ago when he was first introduced and everyone loved the mysterious thief guy with the silly accent. Nowadays he's usually first choice in a 'Which X-Man would you push out of a plane first' quiz.

Also, drop the stupid cajun patois (hehehegumbomardigrascheredismystickbangyoudead) and his unbelievably annoying habit of saying things in French and then repeating the English translation (both of which his solo book wisely avoided).

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh I'm not a Gambit fan by any means.

I'm just saying that this is probably the best way he's been used since the Morlock Massacre stuff (which was a great idea in theory but poorly executed)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Ragin' CanadianThe Ragin' Canadian Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This Gambit hate pains me.... as the cajun patois is part of the character. It's like asking a Jamaican to not speak patois when they were raised there. But in any event, I agree, he's always been written better in his solo books. The cliched brooding type, pining for a girl he can't touch that he was written as for years has hurt the character immensely. Hopefully he does turn out to be a double agent, cause he needs something to do to redeem himself. Although I think Brubaker has openly admitted he strongly dislikes gambit, and may just kill him off if he gets his hands on him.

The Ragin' Canadian on
    " You can't say that, you're crazy!"

" No, I'm eccentric... only poor people are called crazy."
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think Carey has said that he is a fan of the character though.. as I'm pretty sure it was his idea to bring him back as a Marauder.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This Gambit hate pains me.... as the cajun patois is part of the character. It's like asking a Jamaican to not speak patois when they were raised there. But in any event, I agree, he's always been written better in his solo books. The cliched brooding type, pining for a girl he can't touch that he was written as for years has hurt the character immensely. Hopefully he does turn out to be a double agent, cause he needs something to do to redeem himself. Although I think Brubaker has openly admitted he strongly dislikes gambit, and may just kill him off if he gets his hands on him.

Yeah, except they've almost universally written his crappy Cajun incorrectly. His language has just been a white, non-Cajun's stereotypical sense of what a Cajun would sound like.

mattharvest on
This discussion has been closed.