Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hmm, 80-90% as effective as Kevlar but 5% of the cost, before industrial process streamlining?
    That’s kind of at the price point where you start looking at personally fitted/tailored hard plates.
    Also the hilarious possibility of (literally) stamping out wooden tank hulls…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I think it's going to come down to weight, flammability, and size for that purpose.
    We're still talking about highly treated wood, so before anyone goes about making a military vehicle out of this stuff it's kind of important to know if it can be set on fire with an incendiary round and if it outgasses toxic chemicals when heated. It's also important to note that Kevlar alone isn't capable of stopping rifle rounds, which is why military and higher classification civilian body armor has hard armor plates.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, I was honestly more interested in, like, scientific and practical applications. If it survives materials testing we could be launching WOODEN ROCKETS.

Or, at least, save some weight on structural components.

But also, every day objects! Barring any super high toxicity or whatever. Cell phone cases, electronics in general, tons of industrial and manufacturing possibilities that don't rely on plastics. That's the exciting bit for me.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Bullet proof shingling will be standard on all houses. Not because you need it, just because it's cheap as hell, and why not?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    God... If we could get rid of rigid plastics even for non-sanitary purposes, that would be amazing.

• Options
    WE COULD BE SPACE ELVES TRAVELLING THE VOID IN LIVING COLONY SHIPS

Not those space elves though, the cool ones.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Only after we get sweet robot bodies.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Wooden robot bodies! I want mine to have oak branches grafted on. I'll just chill and photosynthesize

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So, kinda oddly I'm wondering how much of the carbon is maintained in the treated wood, and if it might act as a form of sequestration.

Also I wonder if the transparent wood still has a visible grain, because I think that'd be awesome.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    wood spacetreeships with bendy homing lasers, I saw that in an anime once
    why does a weapon that travels at the speed of light need to have homing ability, you ask? well you see, shut up

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    why does a weapon that travels at the speed of light need to have homing ability, you ask? well you see, shut up

also: cabbits

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Because when engaging in combat at light minute distances, it would really help if you could bend lasers to follow whatever logarithmic evasion pattern their computers have chosen.
    Wooden robot bodies! I want mine to have oak branches grafted on. I'll just chill and photosynthesize

Like this? CwI6UPLWIAEd1T0.jpg

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Gah! God almighty!

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Because curvature of the Earth. Do you want to have to travel around a planet to hit a target, like some fucking pleb missile? I thought not.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Upon learning that we were the Elves all along, somewhere, a very drunk Tarn Adams is fumbling with a lighter while standing over a symbolic printout of the DF source code and a now-empty can of gasoline.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    So, kinda oddly I'm wondering how much of the carbon is maintained in the treated wood, and if it might act as a form of sequestration.

Also I wonder if the transparent wood still has a visible grain, because I think that'd be awesome.

It’s basically the process of making particle board plus an extra few processes to make hydrogen bonds between fiber strands, so expect cheap IKEA Furniture textures

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Neat interactive data visualisation of every conversation between Earth and Apollo 11's trip to the Moon, including The Eagle has Landed, One Small Step For Man, and Nixon's Phone Call to the Moon.
    GS1ETWeh.jpg

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    That's pretty cool, but I wish they had spaced the bubbles a little better. It's kind of hard at times to follow a string when they overlap.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Where's Stanley Kubrick's directorial notation?

:V

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

I wonder if this technique would work on bamboo too. Bamboo is as hard as many woods but grows much, much faster.

• Options
    I saw a Northern flicker earlier! Maybe two, there was a woodpecker type bird on a telephone pole across the road but it was too far to get a positive id. They're such pretty birds!

And the meadowlarks are back and so are the robins. Spring has sprung!

@Mayabird

• Options
    I saw a Northern flicker earlier! Maybe two, there was a woodpecker type bird on a telephone pole across the road but it was too far to get a positive id. They're such pretty birds!

@Mayabird

We had a Merlin nest in our backyard last year, and I'm hoping they come back. Even if they kind of annoy my wife with their calls.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

@Mayabird

We had a Merlin nest in our backyard last year, and I'm hoping they come back. Even if they kind of annoy my wife with their calls.

Well that's what she gets for giving birds her phone number!

• Options

Yay!

What kind of meadowlarks do you have, eastern, western, both? (For folks who don't know, the best way to tell them apart is their songs, because their ranges overlap pretty significantly in the middle.)

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Mayabird

Well that's what she gets for giving birds her phone number!

Still not sure how they got, after all the work it took to get it myself.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

Yay!

What kind of meadowlarks do you have, eastern, western, both? (For folks who don't know, the best way to tell them apart is their songs, because their ranges overlap pretty significantly in the middle.)

Western, I'm pretty sure!

• Options
    Cool!

Either species, I enjoy how they sing all the time. Might not be able to see them, but if they're around you can always hear them.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

@Mayabird

Great. You know how hard it is to get rid of wizards?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Hey, this might be a question with an obvious answer, but I was reading some Drake Equation stuff in the modern day, and one of the things they were saying was if there had ever been intelligent life in our galaxy before now we should have picked up signals of it, and if we started receiving signals now it would probably be a sign that it was from outside our galaxy. Now I've got a few questions here but here's the one that occurred to me. Given the relative fragility of many radio-broadcast signals, and our own human experience of how information technology develops, couldn't a civilization say, 1,000 light years away have started broadcasting 10,000 years ago, and then stopped broadcasting 1,000 years later, would we reasonably know about it now. Wouldn't any recognizable signals have reached, and then passed, us? Or does that kind of electromagnetic signal last longer, or is it more robust than I would think it is?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    My understanding is that the distance, combined with the time frame, and then compounded by the seemingly limited time frame where radio waves are commonly used makes it unlikely for that to be how we detect a new species. I doubt we will be using high powered radio waves for much longer, the kind with the energy necessary to travel to another solar system. Like in your example it seems really unlikely that any civilization is going to broadcast radio waves for 1000 years. But if another species did broadcast that long, at that high of a power level, we would probably get some signals but they would be difficult to recognize.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I SAW A WAXWING. AAAAH THEY'RE SO COOL

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I thought you witnessed a waxing and I was confused for a second

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    My understanding is that the distance, combined with the time frame, and then compounded by the seemingly limited time frame where radio waves are commonly used makes it unlikely for that to be how we detect a new species. I doubt we will be using high powered radio waves for much longer, the kind with the energy necessary to travel to another solar system. Like in your example it seems really unlikely that any civilization is going to broadcast radio waves for 1000 years. But if another species did broadcast that long, at that high of a power level, we would probably get some signals but they would be difficult to recognize.

Yea, the Drake Equation reliance on radio waves makes the whole thing rather pointless. We've been using radio for, what, a century, and we're supposed to assume that's the communications we'll be using for the rest of our civilization? There could be alien communications all around us right now, just of a type we don't have the science for yet.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

Yea, the Drake Equation reliance on radio waves makes the whole thing rather pointless. We've been using radio for, what, a century, and we're supposed to assume that's the communications we'll be using for the rest of our civilization? There could be alien communications all around us right now, just of a type we don't have the science for yet.

And the Drake Equation relies on the relative lack of received Radio Waves to mean that A. Those radio waves would survive in a coherent form long and far enough for us to receive them and B. As I was saying, in the specific timeframe for us to now be receiving them. For all we know, Earth was bombarded with semi-coherent radio waves from a nearby star a few centuries ago before we had the technology to receive it, but as far as I understand how this kind of thing works, if those waves stopped coming in before we had receivers up and knew what to listen for, there's basically no way to know.

It could just be that Alpha Centaurians upgraded to fiber optic cables and efficient tight-beamed lasers for communication just in time for us to miss the last of their radio waves in the 19th century. Space is really big, and a lot of civilization's more obvious astronomical markers are harder to see, the further away you get.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Scooter wrote: »

It isn't pointless, the Drake Equation was developed for the first meeting on SETI as a point of discussion for that specific project, not as a general scientific theory. It does not estimate the total number of civilizations in the galaxy, it's an estimate of how many we might be able to see using only radio waves, as that's the detection method SETI had. So of course the equation doesn't account for stuff it was never intended to be used for.
    Given the relative fragility of many radio-broadcast signals, and our own human experience of how information technology develops, couldn't a civilization say, 1,000 light years away have started broadcasting 10,000 years ago, and then stopped broadcasting 1,000 years later, would we reasonably know about it now. Wouldn't any recognizable signals have reached, and then passed, us? Or does that kind of electromagnetic signal last longer, or is it more robust than I would think it is?

Assuming a signal strength high enough to survive 1000 LY travel, broadcasting begins at 8000 BC, and the signal arrives at earth at 7000 BC. It continues for 1000 years and stops, so the last time it would be detectible on earth is 6000 BC. So no, we wouldn't know anything about it.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I thought the point was that if radio waves were a common or receivable communication method, and that there was extra solar life, the galaxy would almost permanently inundated with radio signals from varying civilizations.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I thought the point was that if radio waves were a common or receivable communication method, and that there was extra solar life, the galaxy would almost permanently inundated with radio signals from varying civilizations.

It very well may be awash with signals, but radio signal power is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the transmitter. Without exceptionally powerful transmitters or directional antennas, the signal strength for nearly all of them would be below the general radio background noise of the galaxy and be indistinguishable from static.

Omnidirectional broadcasts using earth equivalent technology is probably only detectable within a few light years. Directional broadcasts (accidentally overheard, not specifically intended for us) are probably detectable at a few hundred to under 1000 light years, but that then has to account for the probability that an alien broadcasting antenna is actually pointed directly at earth and not any other part of the sky.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I, your benevolent stellar God, protect you from the things that live in the depths of space beyond my rays

Rejoice, citizens

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I, your benevolent stellar God, protect you from the things that live in the depths of space beyond my rays

Rejoice, citizens

Thanks fam.

This discussion has been closed.