Options

[Steam] Thread: Halfway through the year already? Backlog down or growing?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Welp. The big yuge Conan patch I've been waiting for has arrived. So much new stuff.

Guess I know what I'll be doing later...

Walking around like a lewd nude crude dude?

Minus the "dude" part, that's fairly accurate...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Welp. The big yuge Conan patch I've been waiting for has arrived. So much new stuff.

Walking around like a lewd nude crude dude?

BANGARAAAANG!

(...it was close enough)

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

So maybe you can answer my question before of "how has EA treated Conan?", I mean, after you've played the new patch, that is.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a Battletech demo?

Probably not, but one can hope. Otherwise how am I going to know if the game will run on my old toaster of a laptop/desktop?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

So maybe you can answer my question before of "how has EA treated Conan?", I mean, after you've played the new patch, that is.

You'd have to be more specific about what you mean, I guess. But...

I played Conan wayyyy back when it first hit Steam. It was rough. Very rough. I did not play long. I loaded it up again a few months ago and fell in love and played the shit out of it for a bazillion hours. Then the kids and I decided to put the game on hold and wait for this patch because it includes a much-desired combat overhaul (but we've kept our private server up and running so we keep our base).

So I'd say EA has treated it well? It consistently got better and is headed for an actual release in about 3 weeks (at which point, by the way, the price goes up, so if one is interested now is the time to buy!).

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Probably not, but one can hope. Otherwise how am I going to know if the game will run on my old toaster of a laptop/desktop?

Just get a refund if it doesn't run to your liking.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Man, what an epic few days. Battletech, God of War, Frostpunk, and Swords of Ditto.
    ...so much for me not buying any new games for a while.

wmra87xhf2hr.jpg

vamen on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Just get a refund if it doesn't run to your liking.

<smacks head> of course!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Finally dove back into Ys SEVEN. The last time I played it was at the end of September, and I had put 22 hours into it. And I saved right before a boss, which is probably not the best way to relearn how the combat system works, especially when it's in a location that doesn't let you go back to areas with regular enemies until you kill said boss.

The good news is that I did defeat the boss without dying, and according to a FAQ I only have four bosses left in the game! After this, the only games in the Ys series I still haven't played through are:

Ys III (released in the early 90s on various home consoles, then remade as The Oath in Felghana for PC which I have played)
    Ys IV: Mask of the Sun (Super Famicom)
    Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PC-Engine CD, apparently a completely different game from the Super Famicom Ys IV)
    Ys V (Super Famicom, I've not heard great things about this one but I intend to play it one day)
    Ys: Memories of Celceta (another Ys IV, basically, except it was released relatively recently and is coming to Steam)
    Ys VIII (sounds like I'll need to get a console to play this one properly)

...jeez, that's more than I realized. I probably won't play Ys III, though.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I refunded it already once back when it first came out. Maybe I'll give it a go again, I do like those kinds of games generally. Although I'm not a fan of the multiplayer aspects usually.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    vamen wrote: »
    Man, what an epic few days. Battletech, God of War, Frostpunk, and Swords of Ditto.

wmra87xhf2hr.jpg

And Yakuza 6.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dan's Gaming is currently preview streaming Frostpunk and it's definitely a game that doesn't go easy on you. I like how it looks so far, though being the fiscally responsible(barf) person I have to be this week means I'll just be getting God of War for now.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

wmra87xhf2hr.jpg

You can't fool me, it's BATTLETECHS all the way down!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I want God of War but Amazon seems to be having a spat with Sony and it's listed as unavailable.

Figures I see a game with what looks like an amazing, character-driven story with NORSE MYTHOLOGY and the one place I have credit + 20% discount is being difficult.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular

wmra87xhf2hr.jpg

For the King (4/19) and The Forest (4/30) also leave early access.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Madican wrote: »
    I want God of War but Amazon seems to be having a spat with Sony and it's listed as unavailable.

Figures I see a game with what looks like an amazing, character-driven story with NORSE MYTHOLOGY and the one place I have credit + 20% discount is being difficult.

I don't think it's a spat so much as reviews dropped and were effusively positive and the game immediately sold out.

I also had to wait for a restock that very quickly sold out again. Luckily I got my order in.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Thanks for a fantastic two days off work, you guys. It was a blast alas I must now begin the work week anew. Keep the gifting shenanigans going! Pixie needs more!

• Options
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Thanks for a fantastic two days off work, you guys. It was a blast alas I must now begin the work week anew. Keep the gifting shenanigans going! Pixie needs more!

I'm glaring at you right now. Just know that.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

I don't think it's a spat so much as reviews dropped and were effusively positive and the game immediately sold out.

I also had to wait for a restock that very quickly sold out again. Luckily I got my order in.

I've been seeing articles saying that other Sony games, like Spiderman and Detroit, are also being listed unavailable, with the article headlines themselves suggesting something odd happening between Sony and Amazon.

• Options
    2OyjE31.png

@LD50 is Stalin, as you can clearly see. Also "I hope this has an English translation" is never encouraging. :lol:

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That blurb is not indicative of a an English translation.

• Options
    Think I'm about halfway through FF12 now or thereabouts. Basch is the one-man wrecking ball, Ashe annihilates everything that even thinks about looking at the group funny in a fifty foot radius, and Penelo heals whenever something evades the meatgrinder that is the party long enough to deal a decent amount of damage. Usually a Hunt or boss.

When I played this game so many years ago on the PS2 the gambit system was arcane and confusing to the point where I'd manually control everyone and boy it was not fun. Now though, I know the basics of logic and it's kind of like programming in a way. If X happens then do Y, and you can organize them and turn them off and on individually. So for Ashe I can have

If (Enemy: Reflect), Then (Dispel)
    If (Enemy Weak: Fire), Then (This Fire)
    If (Enemy Vulnerable: Dark), Then (Hello Darkness)
    If (Party Leader: Target), Then (Thunder)

So if the enemy is actively weak to Fire then she'll burn it. If it's not, but it can be hurt by Dark, then she'll use that. If for some reason it's neither weak to Fire and it's immune to Dark then she'll use Lightning. I can tell her to blast every enemy she sees, only the enemy I'm targeting, the one with highest HP, when there's 3+ of them, and more. I can also layer a ton more gambits on there so I have an element for every occasion and an answer to every situation. If, for example, that enemy has Reflect on them to bounce my spells back she'll strip it from them before bombarding. So she'll never hit an enemy's strong element or kill the entire party with a misfired blast.

While I originally thought the Gambit system was the game playing itself that hasn't turned out to be the case. Yes, the Gambits can answer a lot of situations and automate quite a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean I can just put it on 4x speed and sit back. Shit happens during a fight. Maybe a boss used a bad ability or I set Gambits up wrong on the healer so she was busy cleansing Poison instead of healing the tank. I will occasionally need to pause things, tinker with Gambits a bit, then "run the program" again to see how things go. I might need to yank someone in who is not Stopped so they can use their Gambit to start cleansing status, or revive the dead losers who bit it to the boss's enrage ability. Sometimes I even need to manually tell a character to do something instead of their Gambit, like steal from the boss before blowing it to kingdom come.

Each fight isn't really the game doing everything without my input because I specifically told the game how I want each person in the party to act. If I set my Gambits up wrong I can get my ass kicked and the game won't prevent that. So even when setting up Gambits all I'm really doing is automating the hundreds if not thousands of button presses I'd normally be doing manually in a turn-based game. It makes things like farming so much easier when I can run around and know my characters will make the enemies dead, keep themselves alive, and act exactly as I told them to do so.

So, yeah, having a pretty good time with FF12 now as compared to when I was a kid. Even Vaan and Penelo are more tolerable now. Vaan grows as a character, imagine that!

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    That blurb is not indicative of a an English translation.

I'd imagine the people buying that game don't read the text

• Options
    KHnhhXN.png

So it continues.

@KoopahTroopah makes a compelling argument, though, so who am I to say no?

Thanks! <3<3<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Think I'm about halfway through FF12 now or thereabouts. Basch is the one-man wrecking ball, Ashe annihilates everything that even thinks about looking at the group funny in a fifty foot radius, and Penelo heals whenever something evades the meatgrinder that is the party long enough to deal a decent amount of damage. Usually a Hunt or boss.

When I played this game so many years ago on the PS2 the gambit system was arcane and confusing to the point where I'd manually control everyone and boy it was not fun. Now though, I know the basics of logic and it's kind of like programming in a way. If X happens then do Y, and you can organize them and turn them off and on individually. So for Ashe I can have

If (Enemy: Reflect), Then (Dispel)
    If (Enemy Weak: Fire), Then (This Fire)
    If (Enemy Vulnerable: Dark), Then (Hello Darkness)
    If (Party Leader: Target), Then (Thunder)

So if the enemy is actively weak to Fire then she'll burn it. If it's not, but it can be hurt by Dark, then she'll use that. If for some reason it's neither weak to Fire and it's immune to Dark then she'll use Lightning. I can tell her to blast every enemy she sees, only the enemy I'm targeting, the one with highest HP, when there's 3+ of them, and more. I can also layer a ton more gambits on there so I have an element for every occasion and an answer to every situation. If, for example, that enemy has Reflect on them to bounce my spells back she'll strip it from them before bombarding. So she'll never hit an enemy's strong element or kill the entire party with a misfired blast.

While I originally thought the Gambit system was the game playing itself that hasn't turned out to be the case. Yes, the Gambits can answer a lot of situations and automate quite a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean I can just put it on 4x speed and sit back. Shit happens during a fight. Maybe a boss used a bad ability or I set Gambits up wrong on the healer so she was busy cleansing Poison instead of healing the tank. I will occasionally need to pause things, tinker with Gambits a bit, then "run the program" again to see how things go. I might need to yank someone in who is not Stopped so they can use their Gambit to start cleansing status, or revive the dead losers who bit it to the boss's enrage ability. Sometimes I even need to manually tell a character to do something instead of their Gambit, like steal from the boss before blowing it to kingdom come.

Each fight isn't really the game doing everything without my input because I specifically told the game how I want each person in the party to act. If I set my Gambits up wrong I can get my ass kicked and the game won't prevent that. So even when setting up Gambits all I'm really doing is automating the hundreds if not thousands of button presses I'd normally be doing manually in a turn-based game. It makes things like farming so much easier when I can run around and know my characters will make the enemies dead, keep themselves alive, and act exactly as I told them to do so.

So, yeah, having a pretty good time with FF12 now as compared to when I was a kid. Even Vaan and Penelo are more tolerable now. Vaan grows as a character, imagine that!

I also remember not liking the gambit system but imo the monster hunts really made it shine because you had to change your strategies away from the normal world baddies and start changing up the gambits. I still remember when it clicked and I set up gambits that were basically
    If dead->potion
    Attack
    And that was it because the baddie was hitting so hard that literally nothing else mattered than staying up and hitting him.

Also I still hate that whiny kid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I hadn't actually realised Neon Drive was going to be so much of a music/rhythm game, doing that synesthesia thing (if I'm using the term even close to correctly) of blending its gameplay, sound and visuals. It took me a minute before I realised the game was having me match parts of the music, anything from the beat to the lead, with my movements dodging the encroaching obstacles. And it made a lot of sense. It's incredibly simple - your three controls are left, right and pause - and naturally, it starts out not too challenging but soon gets pretty hard and requires precision and pattern recognition, feeling sublime when you're in the zone, but frustrating if you slip out of it. That said, there are also free run and practice modes; the former raises the camera and has you aiming to hit squares on the road rather than dodging obstacles, and the latter dials down the neon and runs through a CRT-warping VHS style filter, which is a trip.

If you like that distinctive retro '80s neon look, gorgeously executed (with nods to various icons of the time, a particularly lovely one being Blade Runner mashed up with Back to the Future, although the last part of that level is high on the frustration factor) and a perfectly-matching, driving synthwave soundtrack, it's worth a look when it's on a discount (which it currently is but it's had bigger ones). Pop on headphones and turn it up for the best experience. It's not a game to drop a hundred hours into but for what it is, it's a lot better than it might seem. Grab the soundtrack DLC as well; that music is definitely going in my car.

Also, if you get all the achievements and tell the dev on the Steam forum, they'll make you a personalised "Certificate of Superhuman Abilities", which is frankly awesome.

Jazz on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I ended up refunding Divinity 2. After several attempts, including Wasteland 2 and the Shadowrun games, I think text heavy cRPGs just aren’t for me anymore.

Xcom 2 Collection is now downloading.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/830980/Doodle_Date/

header.jpg

Here's an interesting one coming out in a few hours. A dating sim where you draw your date from scratch.

Given my artistic capacity it would be perfect for me if I wanted to date a Cronenberg flesh horror, but it's an interesting concept regardless.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I hadn't actually realised Neon Drive was going to be so much of a music/rhythm game, doing that synesthesia thing (if I'm using the term even close to correctly) of blending its gameplay, sound and visuals. It took me a minute before I realised the game was having me match parts of the music, anything from the beat to the lead, with my movements dodging the encroaching obstacles. And it made a lot of sense. It's incredibly simple - your three controls are left, right and pause - and naturally, it starts out not too challenging but soon gets pretty hard and requires precision and pattern recognition, feeling sublime when you're in the zone, but frustrating if you slip out of it. That said, there are also free run and practice modes; the former raises the camera and has you aiming to hit squares on the road rather than dodging obstacles, and the latter dials down the neon and runs through a CRT-warping VHS style filter, which is a trip.

If you like that distinctive retro '80s neon look, gorgeously executed (with nods to various icons of the time, a particularly lovely one being Blade Runner mashed up with Back to the Future, although the last part of that level is high on the frustration factor) and a perfectly-matching, driving synthwave soundtrack, it's worth a look when it's on a discount (which it currently is but it's had bigger ones). Pop on headphones and turn it up for the best experience. It's not a game to drop a hundred hours into but for what it is, it's a lot better than it might seem. Grab the soundtrack DLC as well; that music is definitely going in my car.

Also, if you get all the achievements and tell the dev on the Steam forum, they'll make you a personalised "Certificate of Superhuman Abilities", which is frankly awesome.

I got that in a Humble Monthly a while back and while I liked the look, it was just a tad too difficult for me.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

I got that in a Humble Monthly a while back and while I liked the look, it was just a tad too difficult for me.

It does get bloody difficult, no question.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I ended up refunding Divinity 2. After several attempts, including Wasteland 2 and the Shadowrun games, I think text heavy cRPGs just aren’t for me anymore.

Those are some good games, so it sounds more like RPG's are the problem. Xcom 2 should pass, though, you don't need to read anything but % chances!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Those are some good games, so it sounds more like RPG's are the problem. Xcom 2 should pass, though, you don't need to read anything but % chances!

I have a problem with RPG's myself, they're too big. I know many of the things to do in them are optional, but I often feel the need to do many of the sidequests, and get burned out a few hours into them. I don't know how many times I've started the Baulders Gate series, and haven't even really gotten into the story proper. I play a mage every time, so before I go to the inn, I need to do some serious leveling. Then I forget about it, lose my save, and just never play it. I own all of the games from that era, even the aweomse planescape torment. Just never can commit the time.

I think the last RPG I played all the way through was FF7. Even though I put over 40 hours easy into 8, never actually finished it.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    ...I really ought to keep my thoughts to myself, sometimes. Thou shalt not tempt the Isy, because then things like this happen:

vufb3qpc29go.png

@Big Classy outdoes himself again with a copy of FFXV. To be honest, this was one I was going to pick up in a week and a half for myself with birthday Steam credit. Many thanks, and this ought to be getting an install before much longer! I actually have a machine that can finally play stuff like this!

...now that I think about it, this also gives me as complete a set of mainline Final Fantasy games as I'm liable to get, even if they're spread over a couple of systems. I think the only ones I'm missing are III and XI, and I don't really have much interest in XI (seeing as how everybody might have just deserted it for XIV.)

Though yes, this one will be answered for in due time.

Thank you again!

Wait, does this mean that Jayson's birthday is in a week and change?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Not RPGs in general. I’ll happily play Dragon Age 2 or Inquisition, or Mass Effect. I think I’m just over RPGs where I have to read a lot and most of the interactions are *character does something* in a text line.

Nothing against the games, the craftsmanship in all of them is impressive. Just seems like they’re not my niche of the genre anymore.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Tried out Neon Drive after @Jazz 's recommendation (and because it's cheap as all hell so why not).

The straightforward driving segments are fun, but my god do the gimmicks for some levels suck my balls.

Jazz already dumped on that BTTF / Bladerunner hybrid level, but the flying level after that one really aggravated me. By the time I got to the last arcade machine I wasn't enjoying myself and just wanted to complete all the normal levels for some closure. Definitely not subjecting myself to the Hard/Insane modes. Devs aren't making a superhuman certificate for me, that's for damn sure.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    It's not a game for everyone, that's for sure. I slip into the same sort of mindset with it as when I'm playing a shmup. And some bits of it do leave me wondering. I haven't taken on every level/machine yet, still got the last few to do; I found myself replaying earlier ones to regain my mojo when later ones got aggravating. (I often have that issue with shmups, where early levels are a perfectly balanced pleasure and by about four levels in, I'm totally out of my depth, but I'll still go back to them.)

Still, if you got it in a bundle or keep it inside the refund time limit on Steam, I'd still say it's worth a look at least.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Let me guess, 100 Sams are dropped onto an island...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Yo, this looks Heckin Rad, Folks.

Monster Prom is a competitive Dating Sim where everyone's a monster.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yo, this looks Heckin Rad, Folks.

Monster Prom is a competitive Dating Sim where everyone's a monster.

Monstergirls? Monsterbois? They made a game for me <3

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.