Shivahn wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Six pack of Hot Ones Fiery Chipotle has finally shipped. Soon I will re-enact the ending scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Oh yes. Much regret will be had.

you will find it is very warm, but highly enjoyable.

Like I said before, this sauce is not a bullshit pain competition sauce, it is the real deal in terms of balancing heat and flavor.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll like it, but my threshold isn't super high. Like, Frank's Red Hot is a comfortable level of heat for me, but much higher than that becomes trouble, and I know Frank's is very low on the scoville scale.

The good news is a good friend of mine loves ghost peppers, so I'll give her at least one bottle, probably more, since she's likely to go through it faster than I am.

Yeah, umm... franks is a lot more vinegar than heat... and the heat is cayenne, which is not nothing, but definitely on the low end as you said.

I would ease in to this one, there are a few steps between franks and the hot ones sauce.

My plan is once I get the sauce, to get some wings and have, like, a time set aside to really try it out, with milk and bread available just in case.

Nova_C capsaicin is like seventy six thousand* times more soluble in alcohol than in water. Milk and bread are great, but srsly swishing with like, brandy or rum (or listerine or whatever) will be way better.

i.e., it takes between 1 and 10ml etoh to dissolve 1g capsaicin, meanwhile, it takes 76 liters of water for the same amount.

I will make use of this information!

Yeah, I realized that as an oily substance, it is probably more soluble in less polar molecules, and then looked it up and was like "holy shit," and now use it on occasion when having mala chicken.

..Oh shit, I forgot mala chicken is tonight's dinner, today is suddenly amazing.

Sean from Hot Ones and Michael from Vsauce have a video together where they work out the best possible concoction for neutralizing spicy food

What they come up with is incredible and also they're lunatics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvogZ88qRTk

Is the best way to neutralize spicy a bullet to the skull

milski I'm not cool enough to know if this is a reference or if you want these two lovely men to suffer tragic, violent fates

these violent delights have violent ends

Shakespeare I do recognize!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Six pack of Hot Ones Fiery Chipotle has finally shipped. Soon I will re-enact the ending scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Oh yes. Much regret will be had.

you will find it is very warm, but highly enjoyable.

Like I said before, this sauce is not a bullshit pain competition sauce, it is the real deal in terms of balancing heat and flavor.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll like it, but my threshold isn't super high. Like, Frank's Red Hot is a comfortable level of heat for me, but much higher than that becomes trouble, and I know Frank's is very low on the scoville scale.

The good news is a good friend of mine loves ghost peppers, so I'll give her at least one bottle, probably more, since she's likely to go through it faster than I am.

Yeah, umm... franks is a lot more vinegar than heat... and the heat is cayenne, which is not nothing, but definitely on the low end as you said.

I would ease in to this one, there are a few steps between franks and the hot ones sauce.

My plan is once I get the sauce, to get some wings and have, like, a time set aside to really try it out, with milk and bread available just in case.

Nova_C capsaicin is like seventy six thousand* times more soluble in alcohol than in water. Milk and bread are great, but srsly swishing with like, brandy or rum (or listerine or whatever) will be way better.

i.e., it takes between 1 and 10ml etoh to dissolve 1g capsaicin, meanwhile, it takes 76 liters of water for the same amount.

I will make use of this information!

Yeah, I realized that as an oily substance, it is probably more soluble in less polar molecules, and then looked it up and was like "holy shit," and now use it on occasion when having mala chicken.

..Oh shit, I forgot mala chicken is tonight's dinner, today is suddenly amazing.

there is a reason hot wings and booze are such a beloved combo by folks, even people not really into spicy foods.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    also we've been on a six month audit schedule for ten years now even though after year two we were supposed to move to annual audits

but they cost us like a few thousand dollars a pop and there's nothing we can do about it, so they know what they're doing

They? Who's they?

the lizard people who run ISO

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    It's a hot one.
    Like seven inches
    From the
    Midday
    Sun

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Is the process ISO 9001:2015 certified? Otherwise don’t trust it.

and honestly

we're ISO 9001:2015 certified and

well

Yeah the whole thing has always seemed pretty weird to me. Like I don't know more than what they ask, but I don't know that I feel a certificate like that says a lot.

i don't know if everyone runs the same way we do, but we have our ISO manual, and we ignore it for five months and three weeks, and then the week before our audit we scramble to clean everything up and invent documentation for the last five months of business and "meetings" that we "had" and then after the auditor leaves we go back to not actually doing anything properly

I don't even know what you're really supposed to do for the certificate, my boss just tells me to search our wiki in front of the auditor if they ask something I can't answer.

Most of our people probably do use pretty solid processes but my dept has begun actually making processes just this year. We usually do it live for all types of work though.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    also we've been on a six month audit schedule for ten years now even though after year two we were supposed to move to annual audits

but they cost us like a few thousand dollars a pop and there's nothing we can do about it, so they know what they're doing

They? Who's they?

They're bird people now, FYI

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    It's a hot one.
    Like seven inches
    From the
    Midday
    Sun

actually, it would be hot even on a winter's night if you're only seven inches from the sun

- neil degrasse tyson

• Options
    I do like the process creation work because I'm just writing down what I already know, so it's pretty mindless and a nice morning activity to do once a week.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    My apartment has a leak. There's water in an electrical outlet outside the bathroom which we found due to the crackling noises and the wall above the shower is damp and has a little bit of a bulge at the bottom, as if water is collecting behind it. Turned off the breaker last night and noises stopped except for the dripping noise in the ceiling. This morning the dripping has upgraded to a light drizzle sound instead of a slow dripping. Called maintenance last night of course and they're supposed to come out this morning but man I hate that I have to be at work while my apartment is maybe flooding.

So maintenance came by and I talked to them. Apparently the people that live above us fucked with their pipes and caused a leak. Maintenance was like "We fixed the leak, all good" but didn't do anything about our power outlet making crackling noises. They assure me that if there's a risk of fire the breaker would automatically trip and stop, but since the outlet is full of water and making crackling noises I don't know that I believe that? They did say they're going to replace the outlet but I had to return to work so hopefully that's getting done. (When I came back in they had just looked at it and turned the breaker back on, so it was making those crackling noises when I came in to the empty apartment)

But they also said that since the leak is stopped, once the water drains out we should be good, but the area above the shower is still pretty damn and the wall is soft and bulging outwards at the bottom where the wall meets the shower tile at the top of the shower. I hope that makes sense.

Waffles is concerned that if they just let it drain out and that's it that it will mold and be rather unhealthy. I'm concerned the wall is gonna cave in on me in the shower. Are these reasonable concerns that we should fight the apartment to fix?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/02/tesla-stock-drops-as-elon-musk-gives-bizarre-earnings-call.html
    Shares in Tesla took a nosedive in after-hours trading today as Elon Musk cut off analysts during a first-quarter earnings call. He dismissed a question about gross margins from Bernstein senior analyst Toni Sacconaghi as "boring." Instead, Musk and other executives answered multiple questions from a Tesla enthusiast and Youtuber named Gali Russell.

The 25-year-old retail investor tweeted at Elon Musk on Monday, seeking to ask him a "crowdsourced" question during Wednesday's conference call. Instead of a single question, Russell was able to ask several.
    hahahaha

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    only when the lizard people and the mole men end their war with mutual destruction will mankind truly be free

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

They? Who's they?

They're bird people now, FYI

who can keep up

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    My apartment has a leak. There's water in an electrical outlet outside the bathroom which we found due to the crackling noises and the wall above the shower is damp and has a little bit of a bulge at the bottom, as if water is collecting behind it. Turned off the breaker last night and noises stopped except for the dripping noise in the ceiling. This morning the dripping has upgraded to a light drizzle sound instead of a slow dripping. Called maintenance last night of course and they're supposed to come out this morning but man I hate that I have to be at work while my apartment is maybe flooding.

So maintenance came by and I talked to them. Apparently the people that live above us fucked with their pipes and caused a leak. Maintenance was like "We fixed the leak, all good" but didn't do anything about our power outlet making crackling noises. They assure me that if there's a risk of fire the breaker would automatically trip and stop, but since the outlet is full of water and making crackling noises I don't know that I believe that? They did say they're going to replace the outlet but I had to return to work so hopefully that's getting done. (When I came back in they had just looked at it and turned the breaker back on, so it was making those crackling noises when I came in to the empty apartment)

But they also said that since the leak is stopped, once the water drains out we should be good, but the area above the shower is still pretty damn and the wall is soft and bulging outwards at the bottom where the wall meets the shower tile at the top of the shower. I hope that makes sense.

Waffles is concerned that if they just let it drain out and that's it that it will mold and be rather unhealthy. I'm concerned the wall is gonna cave in on me in the shower. Are these reasonable concerns that we should fight the apartment to fix?

It probably won't collapse and kill you, and since you are leaving soon anyways, just say fuck it, but welcome to shitty people running apartments? My friends had a similar problem, and had to fight with management for months to get them to finish the repairs to their kitchen, during which my friend did not have a working sink.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Is the process ISO 9001:2015 certified? Otherwise don’t trust it.

and honestly

we're ISO 9001:2015 certified and

well

Yeah the whole thing has always seemed pretty weird to me. Like I don't know more than what they ask, but I don't know that I feel a certificate like that says a lot.

i don't know if everyone runs the same way we do, but we have our ISO manual, and we ignore it for five months and three weeks, and then the week before our audit we scramble to clean everything up and invent documentation for the last five months of business and "meetings" that we "had" and then after the auditor leaves we go back to not actually doing anything properly

I don't even know what you're really supposed to do for the certificate, my boss just tells me to search our wiki in front of the auditor if they ask something I can't answer.

Most of our people probably do use pretty solid processes but my dept has begun actually making processes just this year. We usually do it live for all types of work though.

as i understand it it's mostly just defined process, tracked metrics, and displaying "continuous improvement" by constantly refining your processes so they have a reason to keep coming out and charging you for an audit

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/02/tesla-stock-drops-as-elon-musk-gives-bizarre-earnings-call.html
    Shares in Tesla took a nosedive in after-hours trading today as Elon Musk cut off analysts during a first-quarter earnings call. He dismissed a question about gross margins from Bernstein senior analyst Toni Sacconaghi as "boring." Instead, Musk and other executives answered multiple questions from a Tesla enthusiast and Youtuber named Gali Russell.

The 25-year-old retail investor tweeted at Elon Musk on Monday, seeking to ask him a "crowdsourced" question during Wednesday's conference call. Instead of a single question, Russell was able to ask several.
    hahahaha

Mostly the last second is the relevant part of this video, but still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8uyilHatBA

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    31886536_1813163992078018_3197100026518044672_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=be4a4dfedd28e124582d6f8459f67b7e&oe=5B5DCEA4

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Why do shoebills look like animatronics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noF-CLNSUZU

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

It probably won't collapse and kill you, and since you are leaving soon anyways, just say fuck it, but welcome to shitty people running apartments? My friends had a similar problem, and had to fight with management for months to get them to finish the repairs to their kitchen, during which my friend did not have a working sink.

We're hoping to move out at the beginning of July so yeah, not too long of a concern.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Eh, long as Musk keeps launching rockets I'm don't care how weird his meetings go or what he does in them.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ZEcn3vF.png

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Eh, long as Musk keeps launching rockets I'm don't care how weird his meetings go or what he does in them.

Tesla is how we get consumers to pay for autonomous rover development though!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The videos from the eruption in Hawaii of the volcano are amazing.

https://youtu.be/ahxuK5JI20M

edit: Skip to 3:50 or so in the video.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    @Bogart @Tav

Was it one of you asking for evidence of Patton Oswalt being kind of a mean asshole? The first few seconds of this clip is him making fun of gay people with Down’s Syndrome

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R69_mZj6YWo

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

The entire financial industry controls basically everything, but produces nothing. I would like more people to shut them out like that.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

The entire financial industry controls basically everything, but produces nothing. I would like more people to shut them out like that.
    Except he has a financial and legal obligation to his shareholders and those that invest in his company.

• Options
    I took a video last night of the outlet and the noise it was making, then moved the camera over to get audio of the dripping sound in the bathroom.

The maintenance guy told me the outlet should trip the breaker if there's a risk of fire, but there's no buttons on the outlet like it's one of those GFCI outlets, so I think he's wrong about this one?

https://youtu.be/DgtWrr2t7PI

But hey they're fixing this outlet I guess, I'm just worried about the water damage on the wall. I guess if the landlord doesn't wanna fix it we just buy some mold reducing candles for a month or something. Do those exist? Something like that probably exists.

• Options

Except he has a financial and legal obligation to his shareholders and those that invest in his company.

Yep, he totally does.

Just as do most companies.

Which is why short term gains by pillaging a company is so common. And the business dies, and the people lose their jobs, and the financiers who ran the company just move on to the next place to pillage.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Certainly we should regulate and tax the financial industry more, but Musk is a clown and shouldn't be permitted to do his fun boondoggles with anybody's money but his own. If he doesn't want to answer boring questions why is he even still running Tesla.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Why do shoebills look like animatronics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noF-CLNSUZU

it's too big to really give a damn about predators, can fly from those it has to give a damn about, and mainly eats fish that swim right up to it without realizing

so it is mainly very, very good at not moving, or moving in short jerks, and without transmitting any of that movement to its legs

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Enter the Sandman Bagpipes, yes I think I will.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I already didn't like Musk for basically using his PR as a way to massively underpay and overwork his engineers, so the fact that he's also arrogantly bad at managing his business is a one-two punch of crappiness.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Volcanoes are the zits of the earth.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Our cafeteria has a cashier in stormtrooper outfit. There are cardboard props of droids, and the CCTV has Darth Vader on it.

Its always like this here I figured more places made a deal out of May 4th.

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    I already didn't like Musk for basically using his PR as a way to massively underpay and overwork his engineers, so the fact that he's also arrogantly bad at managing his business is a one-two punch of crappiness.

I've never liked him because of his involvement with Paypal, but come on.

"Oh, that self made billionaire is clearly no good at making profitable businesses."

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

yeah it's a weird sitch where you find me taking the side of a financier but

(worth noting that the nebulous big "investors" who get in on management calls often include, e.g., Calpers, the fund that pays for the retirements of every state employee in California, and other similar entities that, when you think about it, you don't actually want getting ripped off)

• Options

Yep, he totally does.

Just as do most companies.

Which is why short term gains by pillaging a company is so common. And the business dies, and the people lose their jobs, and the financiers who ran the company just move on to the next place to pillage.

But that's not even what's happening here. Musk is selling investors on blatant overpromises of his competency while failing to deliver and (for safety violations at least) actively covering up issues.

This isn't corporate suits asking to loot Tesla, this is corporate suits asking why the fuck Musk keeps making Molyneux level hype promises he can't deliver.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

I've never liked him because of his involvement with Paypal, but come on.

"Oh, that self made billionaire is clearly no good at making profitable businesses."

He's bad at running Tesla. Which was what I said.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Basically, the absolute worst thing that could happen to American corporate governance structure would be if executives somehow got ~even more~ power to tell shareholders to fuck off

Shareholders are the little people!

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Lavar Burton saying Kanye has brain chemistry issues was my favorite snip this week.

This discussion has been closed.