As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm indifferent to the multiplayer stuff myself, but apparently there's also a bunch of new single player content in the beta? Besides putting hats on horses, I mean?

I just started a new farm. Now I really want to play more but also really want to wait until the official release.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

The SDV guide book looks so unbelievably good I can't handle it.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    How do you get into the beta?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Here are the instructions to opt-in to the beta branch. Notice you can either a) start a new farm, or b) create cabins for players to join an existing farm.

Edit - Oops! Posted a concert link instead... Fixed!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Has anything been said about split-screen multiplayer for the Switch version? I'm assuming "no" but it'd probably be the difference between me getting it or not, since I want to play with my GF but she doesn't have her own PC.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Here are the instructions to opt-in to the beta branch. Notice you can either a) start a new farm, or b) create cabins for players to join an existing farm.

I think that is the wrong link sir.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

Here's the real one! Linky

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »

Here's the real one! Linky

Lol, oooops!

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    captaink wrote: »

It is really good. I got it for my daughter for xmas the other year and it was her favorite gift.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

It is really good. I got it for my daughter for xmas the other year and it was her favorite gift.

How old is your daughter? I was thinking about introducing my daughter to Stardew Valley (but shes only 3), she loves books though so I think she would get a bigger kick out of a guidebook than playing the game with me haha

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

I've wanted to get it for my friend's kids, but their Canadian shipping prices succccck.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I've been eyeing this game for a while, and now that it's on the Switch and I'm wrapping up Breath of the Wild, I think this will be my next perpetual, time-consuming game. However, I have a few concerns about how much there is to do in the game and getting overwhelmed or frustrated when things aren't perfectly efficient (I've got a bit of a completionist problem).

I'm a few months behind on my gaming podcasts, so I just got to the Waypoint episode where they talk about how Rob's partner min-maxed Stardew Valley so much it started to affect her enjoyment of it. Patrick and Austin then mentioned that they bounced off SDV because the efficiency in the game is relatively visible, and that made them almost paralyzed on playing it and possibly "playing it wrong". I can definitely relate to these feelings.

I don't know much about how SDV is actually laid out... is it like BotW where everything (relationships, sidequests, collectibles, whatever) in this big game would be open to me eventually, even if I'm making mistakes or learning as I go? Or, is it more like I've heard Persona games described (never played one, so I may be off base), where if you're not basically following the optimum path, there will be things that are unobtainable at the end because of lack of resources or because I missed my window? If given the choice between missing parts of the game along the way and playing the game with a guide to get/see everything, I'll normally go the guide route. That's how I play the Souls games, with a strategy guide open in my lap the entire time (I know this probably makes people cringe, but it works really well for me).

I see that days/years pass in this game. If I don't do a certain sidequest or hit a certain mark by a certain in-game date, will I miss out on things? If the only penalty for inefficiency is my own time (I could have gotten married within 1 year but it took me 3 or whatever), that's fine. I just don't like missing out on chunks of the game, and I normally would rather follow a guide to see everything instead of stumbling around and seeing only half of it.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    Nothing in this game gets closed off in the passage of time. You do get rated on how well your farm is doing after the first two years, and the game 'ends' (meaning credits roll) but you can continue playing on your farm forever, unlocking new stuff, leveling up your farmer, and marrying people. I do not believe this is like Dark Souls where one action locks out chunks of gameplay, everything is doable forever. You can go freely at your own pace.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    There is nothing* you can miss. There is a way to play optimally, if you feel like it, and be hyper-efficient, if you really must, but you can also just take it as it comes. It'll be fine. You have infinite time.

I think people are more stressed out about turning their farms into absolutely perfect money-making machines, when you really don't need to do that.

OK, there is one (1) event you can miss. But it's not exactly a huge deal.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    bficky wrote: »
    I've been eyeing this game for a while, and now that it's on the Switch and I'm wrapping up Breath of the Wild, I think this will be my next perpetual, time-consuming game. However, I have a few concerns about how much there is to do in the game and getting overwhelmed or frustrated when things aren't perfectly efficient (I've got a bit of a completionist problem).

I'm a few months behind on my gaming podcasts, so I just got to the Waypoint episode where they talk about how Rob's partner min-maxed Stardew Valley so much it started to affect her enjoyment of it. Patrick and Austin then mentioned that they bounced off SDV because the efficiency in the game is relatively visible, and that made them almost paralyzed on playing it and possibly "playing it wrong". I can definitely relate to these feelings.

I don't know much about how SDV is actually laid out... is it like BotW where everything (relationships, sidequests, collectibles, whatever) in this big game would be open to me eventually, even if I'm making learning as I go? Or, is it more like I've heard Persona games described (never played one, so I may be off base), where if you're not basically following the optimum path, there will be things that are unobtainable at the end because of lack of resources or because I missed my window? If given the choice between missing parts of the game along the way and playing the game with a guide to get/see everything, I'll normally go the guide route. That's how I play the Souls games, with a strategy guide open in my lap the entire time (I know this probably makes people cringe, but it works really well for me).

I see that days/years pass in this game. If I don't do a certain sidequest or hit a certain mark by a certain in-game date, will I miss out on things? If the only penalty for inefficiency is my own time (I could have gotten married within 1 year but it took me 3 or whatever), that's fine. I just don't like missing out on chunks of the game, and I normally would rather follow a guide to see everything instead of stumbling around and seeing only half of it.

Nothing is ever fully closed to you. It's all in the category of needing to spend more time instead. The only exception I can think of is one minor scene with a character that only can trigger in the first year where he talks about his dad being away because after that year his dad returns home from abroad.

Even the assessment by your grandfather's ghost can be redone after the automatic one that triggers after two years.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    There is one choice that locks out content, but it's minor. You can choose to have your cave house bats which gets you free random fruit, or you can make it house mushrooms which gets you free random mushrooms.

Both the fruit and the mushrooms can easily be obtained other places.

That's pretty much the only 'closed off' choice I can remember from the entire game.

Well that and the Joja Mart/Community Center.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Awesome. That's what I was hoping for: playing the game naturally, looking up tips and guides when I want to, but not stressing about having a perfectly optimized farm or hitting earning milestones along the way.

That guidebook in the link above looks awesome. I think I'm going to order it too when I get the game.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

How old is your daughter? I was thinking about introducing my daughter to Stardew Valley (but shes only 3), she loves books though so I think she would get a bigger kick out of a guidebook than playing the game with me haha

She is 9. She's played the game a bunch more than me at this point.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Has anything been said about split-screen multiplayer for the Switch version? I'm assuming "no" but it'd probably be the difference between me getting it or not, since I want to play with my GF but she doesn't have her own PC.

Quoting myself here, but I've discovered a blog post where the devs specifically state that split-screen support for consoles is currently not planned, so that's a shame.

Also, some clever soul discovered that the multiplayer code doesn't actually lock you to a set number of players; it'll allow however many players to join as there are cabins for them, and the number of cabins you're allowed to place is the limiting factor. Which can be bypassed with some save file editing...

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/8gmtii/so_with_a_bit_of_save_editing_you_can_have_more/

• Options
    Also, a quick bug note for beta branch, furnaces and recycling machines lag during night time. They have some kind of memory leak that makes the room they're in slow down exponentially. Meaning that during night it's almost impossible to smelt stuff. The quick work around is to put all your furnaces into one of the houses and then sleep in your neighbors bed. Kinda promiscuous but you know... whatever you gotta do to farm efficiently. My group has labeled a house as haunted and we don't dare go in it at night because the frames will get you.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    My furnaces are outside in the yard.

I am now the master of Time itself.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    you can also build a shed

• Options
    You know, I have no problem with the idea of building a house for pam.

But why does she gotta have a better one than mine? Not to mention poor old homeless guy still living in a tent in the winter. Least pam had walls before.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

But why does she gotta have a better one than mine? Not to mention poor old homeless guy still living in a tent in the winter. Least pam had walls before.

Pretty sure it is implied by dialog that Linus is homeless by choice, rather than by circumstance.

• Options

Linus can't be caged. He needs to be free like the wind. The wind which blows through his crappy tent.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    you can also build a shed

If I build a shed it's getting filled with kegs

• Options
    So I'm curious. Can a neighbor screw up your stuff? I've got a greenhouse full of ancient fruit that i turn into jelly for about 200k a week income, and the entirety of my yard is basically available for anything to be done but i really don't want someone i invite to have the ability to chop up my ancient fruit farm.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    So I'm curious. Can a neighbor screw up your stuff? I've got a greenhouse full of ancient fruit that i turn into jelly for about 200k a week income, and the entirety of my yard is basically available for anything to be done but i really don't want someone i invite to have the ability to chop up my ancient fruit farm.

Yeah they can kinda screw you up.

Like dropping bombs in your farm will still ruin your crops, but you can just quit out of the game without saving, so you'll lose a day or so worth of progress, but not all of your built up work.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

Like dropping bombs in your farm will still ruin your crops, but you can just quit out of the game without saving, so you'll lose a day or so worth of progress, but not all of your built up work.

Yeah but if they can drop a bomb and hurt/kill your character, wouldnt that force a save of your character since you appear in the hospital?

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

Yeah but if they can drop a bomb and hurt/kill your character, wouldnt that force a save of your character since you appear in the hospital?

The bombs actually do very little damage, and someone passing out no longer ends the day in multi-player. You'd need to be really creative to force a situation where you griefed someone's farm and then made them save.

• Options
    What kind of friends do you guys have on your farms?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Back when we had Animal Crossing on the Gamecube my SO was living with her brother and we had a town for my SO and I and one for her brother and his girlfriend at the time which we could travel and visit. One of our favorite hobbies was to go to her brother's town and bury garbage, so he would think he's digging up some new piece of furniture but he'd get trash. Took us a while to tell him we were doing it. :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm about to end my first summer and the only issue i'm having is friendship with the town not being all that high i have Willy and Robin almost maxed out but everyone else is at only 1-2 hearts from some help wanted quests and the town wide boost i got for giving up my only gold sturgeon that i was going to use in the community center because i had nothing else for the potluck

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »
    I'm about to end my first summer and the only issue i'm having is friendship with the town not being all that high i have Willy and Robin almost maxed out but everyone else is at only 1-2 hearts from some help wanted quests and the town wide boost i got for giving up my only gold sturgeon that i was going to use in the community center because i had nothing else for the potluck

You can go to the Saloon on friday nights, and buy beers for everybody at $400/Beer. It's a universal like for everyone at the Saloon.

People at the Saloon on a Friday ~5:00 PM:

Gus
    Emily
    Clint
    Pam
    Marnie
    Lewis
    Willie
    Pierre
    Leah
    Robin
    Demetrius
    Shane
    Abigail
    Sam
    Sebastian

• Options
    No wonder wine sells so well everyone in pelican town is a drunk!

• Options
    edited May 2018

It gets easier to raise up friendships as you get more set up on the farm and can afford to give out more items as gifts or have more options available as gifts. A few villages like foraged food items and some like flowers but the safest bets are artisan goods and cooked food.

Even Jas and Vincent will gladly take mead as a gift.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options

There's not much to do if you aren't some sort of workaholic like you are.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    The theory that the Player character is some kind of super human worker compared to everyone else in town because Joja works their employees to the bone with soul crushing labor that the farm work and such is actually a refreshing step down kind of holds weight.

Also this game is bleak if you look past the charm.

• Options
    The theory that the Player character is some kind of super human worker compared to everyone else in town because Joja works their employees to the bone with soul crushing labor that the farm work and such is actually a refreshing step down kind of holds weight.

Also this game is bleak if you look past the charm.

One of my favorite things is that it's very aware of how awful life in small towns can be these days and the challenges people there face. Even your efforts to improve the place have some side effects despite generally having a positive impact.

The game makes it pretty clear that your idyllic lifestyle enabled by inheriting an entire farm is set in a place where other people's dreams go to die. All its missing is a narcotic epidemic of some sort.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    All its missing is a narcotic epidemic of some sort.

Eliott is right there.

steam_sig.png