As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old [Movies] Are Best

19495969798100»

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    I was genuinely not aware that was a thing people is bothering to remember.

I could recite the routing number and account number for my checking account, as well as the numbers, expiration dates and CVV codes for several of my credit cards. I don't want to have to pull something out or look something up every time I need some of that information. I definitely don't want to either carry a check with me at all times in case I need my bank info, or save that info on my phone.

that is fine but it's not remotely the norm

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I was genuinely not aware that was a thing people is bothering to remember.

I could recite the routing number and account number for my checking account, as well as the numbers, expiration dates and CVV codes for several of my credit cards. I don't want to have to pull something out or look something up every time I need some of that information. I definitely don't want to either carry a check with me at all times in case I need my bank info, or save that info on my phone.

that is fine but it's not remotely the norm

I think there are more than enough people who can that saying it's stupid that a movie character could is a bit ridiculous, especially when hers was just 5 digits.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like someone knowing their own five digit bank account number is not so outlandish or unheard of a thing as to break the suspension of disbelief.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    After watching it again, I think Valarian is a good movie. The lead being a little carboard is the only problem, which made me realize Besson doesn't know how to actually make a propagandist charismatic, he usually just has someone in the lead that is good enough to carry it on their own.

I was 100% there for the first hour, but it felt like it couldn't hold its own weight up for the full run.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I feel like someone knowing their own five digit bank account number is not so outlandish or unheard of a thing as to break the suspension of disbelief.

I know I always surprise a bank person when I know mine. Then again they are probably surprised to see a real human being 9 times out of 10.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I can remember my personal id number of the top of my head, My main card pin number and few major passwords I use every day. Not sure I could remember them under pressure though.

As for a 4th movie, it was written by a ghost author based on note left behind by the original author after he died. Tricky bit is that the Authors girlfriend or common law wife was cheated out of the rights by the authors family. Her and the Author not having married to keep their privacy due to a rule stating that you have to give your address on the marriage certificate. The Author was a noted anti-nazi reporter with numerous death threats hanging over him.

So the family took the rights and sold them for cash, despite everyone knowing that the author would have wanted his wife/GF to have them

Count me out on seeing the 4th one as a result.

Also suggestion for the next thread title: New [movies] are usually remakes or sequels.

because the day when most movies where original is long passed.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Ararat

Egoyan's last weird one before he started making prosaic sex/political thrillers, and it might be more interesting than it is engaging. At first it isn't even clear how its many characters, places, and timelines fit together, and I'd argue that Egoyan's visual presentation is bland and matter-of-fact which doesn't help. Still, it's an interesting way of making a film about a genocide, by framing it with a film within a film, by discussing film's failure to represent truth, especially when that truth is so often denied. It's a strange, personal work with some really standout sequences. I just wish it had a little more verve.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm going to caution people who are interested in Hereditary to temper their expectations a bit. It sounded like the majority of the audience at the showing I went to tonight were disappointed. Multiple people joked about wanting their money back, and there was a sizable group of teenagers standing outside talking about moments from the film and literally laughing out loud. If that crowd was anything to go by, there is going to be a wide gulf between critic ratings and audience ratings on this one.

I liked it a lot. I can also understand why it didn't work for many though. It's not what you'd expect from something being labeled as the scariest movie of the year, or in years, by so many critics. I did find it incredibly tense at times and there were times that I was utterly horrified, but not in a way that I would necessarily describe as scary. I don't think I can really explain more without getting into spoilers though, and you are likely best served knowing as little as possible going in.

Ketar on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    How to Be A Latin Lover (Amazon Prime) was a really good movie and a comedy that actually made me laugh quite a bit, a nice surprise to keep for a background or a lazy weekend watch. Ditching shitty improv, it's your standard character growth comedy from the 80's or 90's with some nice writing without being totally generic, and lands a few more jokes than I expected. We follow Maximo, not the Capcom character but a near 50 former Rico Suave ladykiller who was content with riding the easy life with his 75 year old millionaire sugarmomma, only to have it all taken away from him by Scott Pilgrim. Now with his looks diminished he finds himself living with his sister, a widowed Santanico Pandemonium and her 10 year old son. And in order to get back his cushy man candy life, he teaches his nephew to be a ladykiller just like him (so that he can also get close to seducing another rich grandmother he saw at his school).

Looking up Eugenio Derbez, he's actually been in a few movies I'd already seen.....but none of them good and nothing that really made him stand out or take notice. But he's really good here as being able to walk the line between showing he still has seduction skills (and being somewhat believable) while also being a pampered brat who has no idea how the real world or actual relationships work. There's a believability to him here that would have been lost were the actor someone more cartoonish or dashing. And what's funny is Rob Lowe is also in the movie as a fellow cabana boy living off of his own sugar momma and channels a similar attitude (and nailing it like he's Chris Traeger again) and I almost wonder if maybe more older 80's hearthrobs were on tap for this, like John Stamos or Scott Baio and doing what they would have likely done were they not celebrities. But the cast is solid and full of people you know, From Hayek to Veronica Mars and The Three Robs (Riggle, Huebel, and Corddry) and a few others and even Raquel Welch and Linda Lavin bring their A-game to film. Plus, the kid actors aren't crap and don't bring their scenes down.

It uses visual jokes with solid punchlines at regular intervals as well, and gets actual laugh out loud moments that are always a big plus (there's a shoe polish joke that was perfectly executed and filmed and one of the rare times I've seen an actual text message joke actually work and not just feel dated or lolz hip). Ken Marino is always a solid supporting comedic actor but he's really earned some goodwill with this directorial debut, much much better than what Rogen's currently producing. And more than anything I appreciate how the ending isn't a complete character rewrite and that makes it all much more enjoyable.

Crass, but not going all the way to crude. Schmaltz, but never dipping into sappy. The movie has a confidence about what it can deliver and does so in a very classy manner. Highly recommended, and now I need to check out Durbez's other lead movie Instructions Not Included.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm going to caution people who are interested in Hereditary to temper their expectations a bit. It sounded like the majority of the audience at the showing I went to tonight were disappointed. Multiple people joked about wanting their money back, and there was a sizable group of teenagers standing outside talking about moments from the film and literally laughing out loud. If that crowd was anything to go by, there is going to be a wide gulf between critic ratings and audience ratings on this one.

I liked it a lot. I can also understand why it didn't work for many though. It's not what you'd expect from something being labeled as the scariest movie of the year, or in years, by so many critics. I did find it incredibly tense at times and there were times that I was utterly horrified, but not in a way that I would necessarily describe as scary. I don't think I can really explain more without getting into spoilers though, and you are likely best served knowing as little as possible going in.

I can only say that what a group of teenagers finds scary is probably not what I find scary anymore.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    You know what was unbelievable? Ethan Hunt memorizing hundreds of bank accounts in a half an hour.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

I can only say that what a group of teenagers finds scary is probably not what I find scary anymore.

I dunno, if it's anything like The VVitch, then I'm going to be very disappointed. That movie is critically praised as a very scary horror movie, but I laughed in the theater A LOT. The ending of The VVitch is the only good thing about that movie IMO.

• Options

If it were just that group of teenagers I wouldn't have said anything. There were a lot of vocal adults around me who the film clearly didn't work for.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I dunno, if it's anything like The VVitch, then I'm going to be very disappointed. That movie is critically praised as a very scary horror movie, but I laughed in the theater A LOT. The ending of The VVitch is the only good thing about that movie IMO.

Found The VVitch scarier, but it is a scary horror film which has great swerves. There are various scenes where my audience laughed, I think that was intended in the film itself. Every actor was on point, excellent direction and a solid script.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    So hereditary: I agree that you should go in blind. I went in knowing it was about a family matriarch dies and everyone is sad about it. It’s about grief.

it's also goddamn terrifying. i would be shocked if a better horror movie came out this year. It may be premature to say so, but I think this a potentially classic horror movie that just came out.

I did laugh through parts of it because parts of it were genuinely quite funny, in a black comedy kind of way. Like, it almost goes gonzo with some of the horror elements. The comparison to the vvitch isn’t that good, as the vvitch was much more understated and a slow burn. pretty early on Hereditary involves a shocking death that lets you know the kinds of things that are going to occur in this movie, whereas the vvitch was content to gradually let things unspool.

I think a better comparison is It Follows, not for plot or anything like that, but because it's a kind of re-imagining of classic horror movie tropes with a great deal of care put into the end results.

This has plenty, plenty of classic horror aspects, like things lurking in the background that the character doesn't notice, creepy insects, etc. what's different is that some of the things you see and experience are not so much scary as they are profoundly disturbing.

the soundtrack is invaluable in adding a sense of creeping dread and alienation, as is the cinematography. the acting, too, was top rate.

I also encountered people after the movie saying they were disappointed or they didn't find it scary. I was also in a full movie theater where I could hear just about the entire theater groaning in dread/anticipation of something the character sees but we haven't seen yet. also that shocking thing I mentioned just had people say 'oh shit' over and over again.

so, overall, I didn't read much hype about it but came away extremely pleased/frightened. AV club's review gives you relatively few details while explaining what makes the movie effective. It also states the movie is 'pure emotional terrorism' which I absolutely agree with.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Casual Eddy’s review makes me want to see a horror film, which is something that happens once every decade.

Someone make a new movie thread. Make sure it pays homage to old movies, which are objectively better than new ones. Also ffs check before hitting post that someone else hasn’t beaten you to it.

Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.