As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Thanks For The Deal, I Hate It

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

On the one hand: registration wall.

On the other hand, this is the first paragraph, available for free:
    When Boris Johnson resigned as foreign secretary last month, he accidentally created a small piece of history. His departure means that, for the first time ever, we have a Conservative Cabinet with no Old Etonians in it.

So no, haven't changed my mind on registering, thanks though Telegraph!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I have no idea what an old etonian is but if he's a good example the cabinet is likely better off?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Fuck Eton and all that over-privileged "I want my kids to be able to coast through life no matter how mediocre they are so to hell with social mobility" bullshit wealthy conservatives are so fond of. That's how we end up with tools like Johnson and Trump.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Fuck Eton and all that over-privileged "I want my kids to be able to coast through life no matter how mediocre they are so to hell with social mobility" bullshit wealthy conservatives are so fond of. That's how we end up with tools like Johnson and Trump.
    What would we do without Bear Grylls though?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I have no idea what an old etonian is but if he's a good example the cabinet is likely better off?

Eton is basically "yes, I am a rich white dude" school

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Why is a no deal brexit sounding more and more like the start of mad max?

Sometimes people forget that there was a more or less operational urban society in Mad Max.

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular

Eton is the most famous and prestigious of the the public schools in the UK (private schools to the rest of the world). It's also an all boys school.

It's emblematic of an entrenched class system - 19 out of 54 prime ministers were educated and many editors, business leaders, journalists and actors were educated there. The rich receive the best education and establish networks, so that even the most feckless can succeed in life.

Of course ends up being a self-propagating system due to their hold over most of the institutions in Britain (not including the other public schools). 75% of judges went to private schools, half of solicitors and journalists and a third of MPs.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I can play a microwave-oven by ear, how hard can radiology be?

PLA on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    PLA wrote: »

Sometimes people forget that there was a more or less operational urban society in Mad Max.

Yeah. To slightly misquote Deus Ex, it wasn't the end of the world, but you could see it from there.

The sequels, well, by then you were there.

Jazz on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Don't worry we'll soon by able to get rid of those pesky EU rule (which don't actually exist) that mean doctors have to train for too long!

I for one look forward to lower Medical standards.....

How the fuck is this being spun as a positive by the Leavers??!?

Worth pointing out that this isn't actually true, and it isn't clear whether leave.eu have just flat made this up or have misunderstood the Bologna process for qualification portability.

Four year accelerated medical degrees are a thing (albeit are usually graduate entry), and there's no barrier to practicing in the UK with a four year medical degree.

The Bologna process governs automatic recognition of professional qualifications, and specifies a minimum length of five years for medical degrees in its regulations, but that's only relevant if you want to train in the UK and practice elsewhere in the EU without further study or professional examination.

tl;dr: the UK can recognise whatever length of medical degrees it likes, other EU states only have to recognise it if it meets minimum criteria, but this is only relevant for people training in one state and practicing in another

japan on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Because you haven't read V for Vendetta

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Bethryn wrote: »
    What would we do without Bear Grylls though?

We would probably watch Ray Mears instead and not be overly focused on drinking our own piss.

Not to say that drinking your own piss isn't a genuine survival trait in certain limited environments and situations.

Its just... how relevant is that in relation to Brexit?

Don't answer that!

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The obvious answer to the article's 'question' is "From people with actual talent hopefully". The current cabinet aren't an example of this unfortunately.

Eton is the most famous and prestigious of the the public schools in the UK (private schools to the rest of the world). It's also an all boys school.

It's emblematic of an entrenched class system - 19 out of 54 prime ministers were educated and many editors, business leaders, journalists and actors were educated there. The rich receive the best education and establish networks, so that even the most feckless can succeed in life.

Of course ends up being a self-propagating system due to their hold over most of the institutions in Britain (not including the other public schools). 75% of judges went to private schools, half of solicitors and journalists and a third of MPs.

I can't help but notice that nearly all of the example's you have given are careers that don't necessarily require any degree of talent, intelligence or capability for a degree of success. Simply blundering into most of them with enough connections (or money) to carry on will get you entrenched at the top echelons easily enough. Doing a bad job doesn't really matter in half the cases - particularly for MPs and journalism. Those with actual talent will be obviously better, but they'll have to fight through dreck to get there. Ares like, for example, almost any STEM discipline, where capability is an explicit requirement of the job, are not as vulnerable to this (not saying it's entirely clean I might add - just that you will not survive without talent. Who wants an aeronautical engineer who can't really do their job?). The legal profession should be different, but I'm really not so sure anymore.

I'd also extend the general principle to Oxford and Cambridge as well. Both universities received special treatment in application processes, rely heavily on interviews and recommendations from schools like eton and then claim it's fair when about 40%+ of their applicants are from public schools (and higher in some cases). Their reputation and special treatment is unwarranted considering that other universities (e.g. London universities) are in many cases better.

All of this just illustrates how little chance you really have if you aren't born into wealth. You can reach the top, sure, but it's going to be much harder to get there and you'll have to fight through those that ended up there by default.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I think it's kind of alarming how porous the line between journalists and politicians seems to be getting. It seems like a massive conflict of interests for people to be freely transitioning between the two career paths.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    It's kind of impressive how much two years of the Brexit process and other conservative politics has de-romanticized the UK in my mind. Not that my view of the place was flawless, but at least three years ago I still had rich fantasies of getting a cute cottage in the English countryside with an herb garden, a little vintage Triumph, and such. Most of my perceived flaws with English society were leftovers from Thatcher that at least might get fixed in my lifetime

Now 95% of my internal dialogue about the UK is screaming about how y'all have several opposition parties that are absolutely asleep at the wheel (though I know you know that, and I know you know that I know you know that) and repeating John Oliver's line about how Theresa May is a Thatcher-in-the-Rye. Not to mention a lack of appropriate response to Grenfell and other failures of the social safety net

Of course I say all this, but then if things do recover from this and the left sorts itself out, I may just go full Britaboo again
    I still want that vintage Triumph

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My feelings are complex

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    My feelings are complex

Does "what a dumb asshole" count as complex?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    My feelings are complex

Does "what a dumb asshole" count as complex?

Dumbness comes in many flavours

• Options
    I know the rat bastard is trying to be satirical but yes, I would like that future, give it to me you mean old Tory

Happy thoughts, Greg, happy thoughts
    Triumph%20Trident%20150%20US%2074.jpg
    mm yes, three cylinders of English steel, much better

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

This is 100% my mid-life crisis plan.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options

This is 100% my mid-life crisis plan.

A buddy of mine in the states got his hands on an old Norton racer recently and is currently restoring it. I am rather jealous

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018

look this is all well and good but it is possible to achieve such a divine level of fecklessness you can defeat even etonian privilege. never underestimate the lack of feck of a sufficiently determined... uh..

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    It's kind of impressive how much two years of the Brexit process and other conservative politics has de-romanticized the UK in my mind. Not that my view of the place was flawless, but at least three years ago I still had rich fantasies of getting a cute cottage in the English countryside with an herb garden, a little vintage Triumph, and such. Most of my perceived flaws with English society were leftovers from Thatcher that at least might get fixed in my lifetime

Now 95% of my internal dialogue about the UK is screaming about how y'all have several opposition parties that are absolutely asleep at the wheel (though I know you know that, and I know you know that I know you know that) and repeating John Oliver's line about how Theresa May is a Thatcher-in-the-Rye. Not to mention a lack of appropriate response to Grenfell and other failures of the social safety net

Of course I say all this, but then if things do recover from this and the left sorts itself out, I may just go full Britaboo again

I mean you probably weren't paying attention: an entrenched upper class that value chuminess over competence and small town myopia severely hindered British competitiveness back in the second industrial revolution of the 19th century. As in so many countries the two world wars were abberations and we're returning to underlying trends (American robber barons and idiots in Westminster).

• Options
    Who wants a fascinating history lesson to distract from the awful?

I remember wanting to go see the Blackadder film

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I remember watching the cranes slowly seem to maybe be doing something on the Big Breakfast

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    All I remember about the dome was the Blackadder episode and the heart room with weird pulsing walls

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I remember its cameo in the Bond flick The World is Not Enough as well.

Thankfully the Blackadder film later was viewable elsewhere, but initially they'd said it would only ever be shown at the Dome, IIRC.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    I remember its cameo in the Bond flick The World is Not Enough as well.

Thankfully the Blackadder film later was viewable elsewhere, but initially they'd said it would only ever be shown at the Dome, IIRC.

The whole manufactured scarcity thing was dumb in hindsight

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, we're in the process manufacturing scarcity right now.
    I'm sure it'll all work out this time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    And they said there was no way we'd be able to reboot the manufacturing sector! Project Fear indeed!

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »

I mean you probably weren't paying attention: an entrenched upper class that value chuminess over competence and small town myopia severely hindered British competitiveness back in the second industrial revolution of the 19th century. As in so many countries the two world wars were abberations and we're returning to underlying trends (American robber barons and idiots in Westminster).

Oh yeah I am most definitely willing to own up to a degree of myopia around having a very specific idealization of England in particular, which has probably never existed except in odd isolated moments. There's any number of threads to be pulled on to unravel that most comfortable sweater. Heck, right now I live in an former African colony and I know what all Rhodes and his ilk were up to around that era of industrialization

• Options
    Liam Fox: No deal most likely Brexit outcome for UK
    Damn Project Fear Remoaners, trying to sabotage- wait, who?
    Liam Fox says the chance of a no-deal Brexit is growing, blaming the "intransigence" of the European Commission.

The international trade secretary and Brexiteer put the chance of failing to come to an agreement at "60-40".

He told the Sunday Times that Brussels' chief negotiator had dismissed the UK's Chequers proposals simply because "we have never done it before".

The UK and EU say they want agreement before the exit on 29 March 2019.

Mr Fox told the paper that he had not thought the likelihood of no-deal was higher than 50-50, but the risk had increased.

He said the EU had to decide whether to act in the economic best interests of its people, or to go on pursuing an approach determined by an obsession with the purity of its rules.

"I think the intransigence of the commission is pushing us towards no deal," he said.
    Ah yes, of course it's all the EU's fault.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    He said the EU had to decide whether to act in the economic best interests of its people, or to go on pursuing an approach determined by an obsession with the purity of its rules.

*spit's coffee* Liam, my dude, you have this backwards. The UK needs the EU more than the EU needs the UK.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Liam Fox: No deal most likely Brexit outcome for UK
    Damn Project Fear Remoaners, trying to sabotage- wait, who?
    Liam Fox says the chance of a no-deal Brexit is growing, blaming the "intransigence" of the European Commission.

The international trade secretary and Brexiteer put the chance of failing to come to an agreement at "60-40".

He told the Sunday Times that Brussels' chief negotiator had dismissed the UK's Chequers proposals simply because "we have never done it before".

The UK and EU say they want agreement before the exit on 29 March 2019.

Mr Fox told the paper that he had not thought the likelihood of no-deal was higher than 50-50, but the risk had increased.

"I think the intransigence of the commission is pushing us towards no deal," he said.
    Ah yes, of course it's all the EU's fault.

It's just as the Remoaners said it'd be all along! Wait a minute, by Jove, they're in cahoots!

• Options
    This is perfectly simple to solve. The EU just needs to agree to become part of the British Empire.

• Options
    This is perfectly simple to solve. The EU just needs to agree to become part of the British Empire.

The depressing thing is I think there is a non-zero amount of people who are all about this.

• Options
    I like the weird double-standard he has going on, the EU must not put matters of policy & principle above their peoples' economic interests, but the UK must do the exact opposite.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I like the weird double-standard he has going on, the EU must not put matters of policy & principle above their peoples' economic interests, but the UK must do the exact opposite.

I don't like it. At all.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Sorry, I figured the sarcasm would be clear. Fox's perspective is absurd.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
This discussion has been closed.