Options

[WoW] Conflict starting in August

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wow apparently something I've had on one of my Dark Iron characters is worth nearly 200k gold now.

Damn. Was it the necklace from the BC launch event? That's the only thing I can think of.
    Nah it's a piece of armor valued for transmog I guess. I also have a couple of 10k+ recipes. ALL NOW FOR SALE BUY NOW SO I CAN GET MY HEIRLOOM SHIT IN ONE SWOOP.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Making Unholy DKs ranged, outlaw rogues ranged, and adding a third spec for DH as a ranged DPS would go a long way to alleviating some of the melee bloat that they've built up with all of the new melee classes.

I have to say that is keeping me from playing/making more classes.

I don't want yet another melee DPS spec, etc.

Bigity on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Nyht wrote: »
    Man this whole past week or two I've been on this lonely island where I still like Malfurion AND Tyrande

My big problem with Malfurion is his voice acting is super-cringey. Like... his homeland is being invaded and he's trying to lead the counterattack but he sounds like in just a moment he's going to remind us all of the true spirit of Christmas. That, or teach us which letters are the vowels.

There's just no urgency or aggression in Malfurion's voice performance at all.

htm on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Got 2 mechanical wolfs on my hunter. I was extremely disappointed I could not name them Black and Decker. I would have both out at the same time with the BM talent.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    A Good War and Elegy are out for those that want more details on the War Of Thorns.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I wish they put half of whats in those novellas into the actual goddamn game. Would have been pretty great.

Re: Tyrande - I mean, if that's what you want to believe in your headcannon you do you, @Nyht. I think that's a cool story. I don't see it that way myownself, but if they wrote Tyrande to actually show any of this she would be a pretty cool character.

I like Malfurion. Never had a problem with him aside from the whole "spend most of his time sleeping in the dream instead of helping his people" thing, but its been shown how important the dream is so honestly I don't blame him much.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Man this whole past week or two I've been on this lonely island where I still like Malfurion AND Tyrande

My big problem with Malfurion is his voice acting is super-cringey. Like... his homeland is being invaded and he's trying to lead the counterattack but he sounds like in just a moment he's going to remind us all of the true spirit of Christmas. That, or teach us which letters are the vowels.

Ok this one I get. Honestly I do feel the VA for Malfurion could use a shake up. They gave Illidan over to Liam O'Brien which I think went a long way. I wouldn't hate Malfurion going to someone else OR whoever the VA is to add some more depth. That being said, I also do get maybe it's purposefully trying to be calm and in control at all times, which for a 10000 year old druid that believes in peace, I can get. But still some of his lines fall flat and don't sound so much calm and comforting as they do ... bland.

As for @Enc , they showed a small little scene and that's all. It's all any of us had to go off of and I tried to dissect it as best I could to try and understand it. I like doing that sort of thing so I will do me, sure.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Same here! I just don't see it adding up that way when you look at everything else in the cannon.

Though, those two novellas today do paint the entire war of thorns in a much better light.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »

Ok this one I get. Honestly I do feel the VA for Malfurion could use a shake up. They gave Illidan over to Liam O'Brien which I think went a long way. I wouldn't hate Malfurion going to someone else OR whoever the VA is to add some more depth. That being said, I also do get maybe it's purposefully trying to be calm and in control at all times, which for a 10000 year old druid that believes in peace, I can get. But still some of his lines fall flat and don't sound so much calm and comforting as they do ... bland.

As for @Enc , they showed a small little scene and that's all. It's all any of us had to go off of and I tried to dissect it as best I could to try and understand it. I like doing that sort of thing so I will do me, sure.

Personally, I don't like Malf's visual design. Dude has wings on his elbows and that's gross. I also don't like the part he had to play in some of the night elf/high elf origin story (assuming what I remember is even cannon at this point), or the way he handled illidan. Him (and the rest of the night elf leadership) come off as pretty racist, which I can't get behind.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I do appreciate that at least they were showing that Malfurion was wrecking Sylvannas’ shit during that fight before Saurfang intervenes. Wish we could’ve seen that, or the Saurfang/Malf fight from the book where Saurfang realized what bad of a idea it was to fight a Druid in a forest.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hey so I forgot about the reagent bank being a thing.

There's uh. Wow. There is a TON of goods on my main character. Um. Holy moly.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Man this whole past week or two I've been on this lonely island where I still like Malfurion AND Tyrande ...

I will admit maybe I'm just biased to night elves and the story in WC3 but I really don't think that's the sum of it.

So people beef with Malfurion; Full stop I do not get. He's never done anything super irritating? And the one thing EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER mocks him for "TYRANDE MY LOVE" ... wasn't even him? Like it's now just this friggen echo chamber that everyone does and finds funny to keep it alive without calling out "oh and yeah, that was Xavius basically full on mocking Malf so maybe we shouldn't mock HIM for that?"

Otherwise Malfurion has just an all around good guy trying to save his people, ALL people really with trying to keep the Nightmare out of the Emerald Dream and our world. So like ... yeah, I guess he sucks for being so nice? I really want him to get a FULL ON front row seat in the narration. Not the side seat he got in Legion but something with HIM in it showing off what HE can do. Maybe people will calm down or maybe they'll double down, I don't know, but Malfurion is 100% my favorite lore character in the game. Followed up by Genn and Illidan in even second (Jaina's climbing too).

Now looking at Tyrande in the situation she was in. I think people are giving her WAAAAAAAY more shit than is deserved. So here's her husband, literally bleeding out and probably dying in front of her. Her home is under attack and Saurfang isn't lying; you go home to the city we're about to claim, and you and you're husband are dead. Both Saurfang and Tyrande believe that the city can't hold the attack but that the horde mostly just plans to occupy it. Malfurion might be down for the count for some time and other night elf forces exist in the world that Tyrande can still try and rally to reclaim her home. So she makes a tough call to save her husband and regroup to work with the Alliance to reclaim her city instead of being used as a toy for Sylvanas to crush her people.

Now of course we find out that in hindsight, if she had gone to the city, she could have helped evacuate and tend to her people before leaving as well but she didn't know THAT'S what was going to happen. She was operating under the belief that Sylvanas and the horde would kill her for display and demoralize her people. Given that Lady Mia Greymane was already helping to somewhat evacuate people, there was probably a plan already in place to try and do that kind of thing even without Tyrande there.

So no, I don't think Tyrande made the bad move here. I think she made the right one.

people just hate malf ironically/faction RP-ily I think
    tyrande had a very irritating characterization in Legion though

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Read through the two novellas there. This commentary is a bit out of order, but some stuff I found interesting...

The initial plan for winning was based on Sylvanas NOT destroying Darnassus, and a split forming between the Worgen and the Night Elves over who gets helped by the Alliance first.
    Again. She had done it again. She had opened his mind to a new possibility, and the world shifted under his feet. The strategic implications spun out before him like the Maelstrom. “It will take years before they can even consider retaking Darnassus.”

“You understand, High Overlord,” Sylvanas said. “Think it through. What happens next?”

“They might try to conquer the Undercity . . . but Darnassus becomes our hostage against that. The night elves will not allow your city to fall if they fear it means you will destroy theirs. The same goes for a strike against Silvermoon.” Saurfang’s thoughts raced. She’s right. This could work. “And even if the Alliance agrees to retake Darnassus . . . The Gilneans!”

Sylvanas’s eyes disappeared beneath the edge of her hood. “They lost their nation years ago. The Gilneans will be furious if the Alliance acts to help the kaldorei first,” she said. “The boy in Stormwind will have a political crisis on his hands. He is smart, but he is not experienced. What happens when Genn Greymane, Malfurion Stormrage, and Tyrande Whisperwind all demand differing actions? He is not a high king like his father. The respect the others give him is a courtesy, not an obligation. Anduin Wrynn will rapidly become a leader who cannot act. If the Alliance will not march as one, each nation will act in its own interest. Each army will return home to protect their lands from us.”

The Alliance side of the story shows that her plan wouldn't work. The Worgen had no intention of not helping the Night Elves, even at the cost of delaying the recovery of Gilneas.
    “That’s what this action is intended to do, Genn. Not just to take Darnassus. But to use it against us, striking at the very heart of what makes our kingdoms the Alliance. Sylvanas is going to turn us against one another. That’s the grand plan.” He shook his head, his eyes on the small figures on the table. “I was a fool not to see it earlier.”

Genn was silent for a long time. “When did you learn so much about strategy?”

Anduin laughed humorlessly. “I was reading when I should have been sparring.”

“Well, you are a fool.” Anduin turned to regard him, surprised by the words. “A fool to think for a moment that I would withdraw my support because you are helping the kaldorei. Do I want my kingdom back? My people to return to their homes? Of course I do! Do I want it badly enough to allow innocent night elves to suffer, when they so generously have helped the Gilneans these last few years? When they mitigated the worgen curse, so we could hang on to ourselves and not get lost in madness? When they fed us, sheltered us, and offered us their home when we had nothing?”

Genn made a dismissive noise, somewhere between a huff and a snarl. “No. I would never betray that kindness by turning my back on them now. Sylvanas doesn’t understand that about the living. And she certainly doesn’t understand the Alliance. She is in for a rude awakening, and you can mark my words.”

Sylvanas also 100% knew that destroying the city might turn Saurfang against her.
    Honor was all Saurfang had left. Honor and the Horde. She did not know what he would do if either were taken from him.

He would become my enemy, a terrible one.

Fortunately for him, honor and restraint were exactly what she needed now. Perhaps he would find a glorious death on the battlefield before he ever had to face a choice that would destroy him.

Or maybe the old orc will surprise me, she thought. Maybe he will face the world as it is and choose to fight onward at my side. If he doesn’t, well . . .

That can wait.

Meanwhile, the events in Astranaar that were confusing to the player are apparently just as confusing to Saurfang.
    A lake lay before him. An island was in the middle of it, splitting the waters nearly in two, and upon that spit of land stood a small kaldorei village. Astranaar. One of the last night elf strongholds on the way to the coast. Water on all sides, only two bridges allowing access—perfect as a staging ground. If the night elves had already lost it, that was an astonishing victory for the Horde.

“They didn’t defend Astranaar?” Saurfang asked.

Morka shrugged. “The night elves were dead before we got here. Our scouts say their bodies show signs of poison. Our infiltrators must have been . . . productive.”

Impressive. Saurfang would need to learn which rogues had done such a thorough job. “Sweep the town one more time for saboteurs, and then bring everything to the inn. Astranaar is the last command post we need to secure Ashenvale,” he said. Perhaps he would even get to sleep in a bed for a few minutes, instead of a wooden cart rolling over a bumpy path.

My initial instinct was that Sylvanas secretly killed the remainder of Astranaar while we were flying to Krom'gar, but...
    Malfurion had been on the northern border of Ashenvale for a while, and then he had traveled south. Sylvanas was certain of it. For some reason, he had not passed by this thicket. What had drawn his attention?
    There weren’t many possibilities. There were no sounds of battle to the south. Astranaar was that way. It should have been a war zone. If it was not, that was by design.

She left the thicket, traveling south. Her instincts were calling her to Astranaar.

Maybe I have the timing of this wrong... is this supposed to be a reference to how the players help take Astranaar, or were there other forces at work while we were doing our errand? Something never quite matched right there, for me.

Meanwhile apparently part of her decision to burn the tree was because they didn't kill Malfurion and she wanted some other way to devastate the Elves.
    “They will come for us now. All of them!” he said.

“I know.” She was calm, as though nothing were wrong. “They will attack the Undercity in retaliation. You will need to plan our defenses. Begin evacuating my people.”

He struggled to form words. Finally, pure hatred made him spit out a condemnation. “You have damned the Horde for a thousand generations. All of us. And for what? For what?”

Her expression didn’t waver. “This was your battle. Your strategy. And your failure. Darnassus was never the prize. It was a wedge that would split the Alliance apart. It was the weapon that would destroy hope. And you, my master strategist, gave that up to spare an enemy you defeated. I have taken it back.

When they come for us, they will do so in pain, not in glory. That may be our only chance at victory now.”

He wanted to kill her. He wanted to declare mak’gora and spill her blood in front of Horde and Alliance alike.

But she was right.

A wound that can never heal. That had always been the plan. And Saurfang had failed to inflict it.
    She had sent a message. This was not a war that would end in a stalemate. Not now. The Alliance and the Horde would both understand that the only choices were victory or death. Lok‐tar ogar.

If the in-game content had any of this, people would have freaked out a bit less. Or at least understood what was happening. But clearly Sylvanas wants this to be the FINAL war between the factions. I suspect that Blizz is going to do just that. I dunno what's going to happen by the end, but pretty sure the status quo is going to change.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

old crafting materials are not in VERY high demand but some of the rare ones like titanium or titansteel from wrath do still sell well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Where is that stuff from @MuddBudd ? It certainly provides more context but doesn't necessarily make things any better

• Options
    Where is that stuff from @MuddBudd ? It certainly provides more context but doesn't necessarily make things any better

It is from the novellas, which Blizz posted on their site for everyone. Links were in this post:
    Owenashi wrote: »
    A Good War and Elegy are out for those that want more details on the War Of Thorns.

It definitely doesn't justify Sylvanas genocide, but it does at least explain WHY she made the decision. In-game it just looks like she got angry at a dying elf and burned the tree in a fit of rage. There was a bit more to it, as despicable as it was.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    EDIT: Beaten.

Owenashi on
  • Options
  • Options

old crafting materials are not in VERY high demand but some of the rare ones like titanium or titansteel from wrath do still sell well

Sumptuous fur.

Hexweave bags are still the biggest bags in the game.

You can sell almost any old world material, but you probably can't sell very much of it. The trade volume for those old goods is just super low. Sumptuous fur though, I sell more of that shit than I do the current tier of cloth.

• Options

I'm on a high population server and there's a good mix of completionists and RP transmog folk surrounding me. So yeah I can definitely sell all of this swag.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I feel the story they are trying to tell here should have happened between Pandaria and Legion as the stuff Garrosh was building up it's as if someone just turned off the faucet and went on forgetting to clean up.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Sumptuous fur.

Hexweave bags are still the biggest bags in the game.

You can sell almost any old world material, but you probably can't sell very much of it. The trade volume for those old goods is just super low. Sumptuous fur though, I sell more of that shit than I do the current tier of cloth.

Old trade goods sold for a lot more before the pre-patch. Or before BFA profession changes were announced anyways. Now nobody really wants that stuff for leveling any more. (Not that they really should have anyways, since the Draenor stuff was so cheap.)

Sumptuous fur still sells well but I heard there's a 32-slot bag in BFA from basic cloth. So I dunno how long it'll continue being in demand. It'll still be the biggest bag, I guess, so demand won't totally dry up, but not nearly the maker it is now.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Really I feel the story they are trying to tell here should have happened between Pandaria and Legion as the stuff Garrosh was building up it's as if someone just turned off the faucet and went on forgetting to clean up.

Well, you know, they didn't have any story ready when they made the part between Pandaria and Legion, so we got WoD instead.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Wait what? Reagent bank? I know about the void storage and the regular bank, where's the reagent bank?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Wait what? Reagent bank? I know about the void storage and the regular bank, where's the reagent bank?

It's a tab in your bank interface.

-edit-

Anything in it will also count as available for crafting purposes, no matter where in the world you are.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    The reagent bank is the best.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    She had sent a message. This was not a war that would end in a stalemate. Not now.

This is the dumbest possible story they can tell for an MMO with two player factions opposing one another because you can't ever actually resolve it, since it's not like you can arbitrarily choose a faction to "lose". And players know you can't, so any story attempts to do so feel flat.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    She had sent a message. This was not a war that would end in a stalemate. Not now.

This is the dumbest possible story they can tell for an MMO with two player factions opposing one another because you can't ever actually resolve it, since it's not like you can arbitrarily choose a faction to "lose". And players know you can't, so any story attempts to do so feel flat.

assuming they have no intention of ever dissolving the factions i agree. if that option is on the table then maybe

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    iirc part of the reason tyrande comes across rough in-game was that in-story, she's intentionally staying in stormwind while malfurion handles the warfront because she's taking an active role in getting all the refugees sorted - getting them housing etc. but of course, this is world of warcraft, so we're not shown any of the actual management that goes into something like that, instead she just doesn't show up until they can remind us that she loves a man

so, blame blizzard's inability to put a single line of dialogue explaining what she's up to for two weeks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Also that doesn't make any sense. Tyrande isn't he queen of Stormwind. That is very firmly in the hands of Anduin and his advisors. It would be like Trump going to germany or france to 'sort out the refugee problem'. Well, a more orthogonal example would maybe be Obama going to the EU. It still doesn't make sense.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    iirc part of the reason tyrande comes across rough in-game was that in-story, she's intentionally staying in stormwind while malfurion handles the warfront because she's taking an active role in getting all the refugees sorted - getting them housing etc. but of course, this is world of warcraft, so we're not shown any of the actual management that goes into something like that, instead she just doesn't show up until they can remind us that she loves a man

so, blame blizzard's inability to put a single line of dialogue explaining what she's up to for two weeks

This is also exactly what she did in Legion. (Well, maybe. We don't know where she was initially before Malfurion got his dumb ass kidnapped.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    i don't think that's a good analogy because the refugees in your analogy aren't americans

tyrande is going as a representative of her people, to work with the local government to ensure her people are looked after

probably aided heavily by graymane, who is going through the same process with the worgen refugees leaving darnassus

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Tyrande is leader of the Sentinels though. Who you'd think would be primarily in charge of defending Teldrassil.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Also that doesn't make any sense. Tyrande isn't he queen of Stormwind. That is very firmly in the hands of Anduin and his advisors. It would be like Trump going to germany or france to 'sort out the refugee problem'. Well, a more orthogonal example would maybe be Obama going to the EU. It still doesn't make sense.

They were refugees from her own city. Evacuating Ashenvale, Darkshore, and Darnassus in preparation for what they knew would at be a successful occupation. (so they assumed, at the time) They were literally her own displaced people, and she knew more were coming from Darnassus because the portals only move so many people at a time.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »
    Tyrande is leader of the Sentinels though. Who you'd think would be primarily in charge of defending Teldrassil.

i mean if we're going to be analogous to the real world, the leader of an army traditionally is at a safe place where they can direct orders, not in the front lines

obama didn't go down to iraq with an AK

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

i mean if we're going to be analogous to the real world, the leader of an army traditionally is at a safe place where they can direct orders, not in the front lines

Obama wasn't also the military, political, and religious leader of America all at the same time. Nor was he, as far as I am aware, friends with the MOON.

Azeroth works a little differently.

• Options
    edited August 2018

On defense they do. Because you can't issue orders to Sentinels in Darnassus from Stormwind. And because morale is important.

Obama's not actually a general, whereas Tyrande is. Tyrande's got Trueshot Aura and Starfall! They need that +30% ranged damage out there!

MuddBudd wrote: »
    Obama wasn't also the military, political, and religious leader of America all at the same time. Nor was he, as far as I am aware, friends with the MOON.

Azeroth works a little differently.

In 'dem olden days, a lot of kings would take the field too. Not always, but often.

hippofant on
  • Options
    I don't really want to play a game of what-ifs, but wouldn't having had the priestess of the literal fucking moon on the front lines maybe have changed the tide of battle? Malfurion and his forces almost stopped the invasion, and probably would have if saurfang hadn't found a way to flank via felwood. If Tyrande was there to command on the second front, sylvanas might have never taken darkshore.

In any case, you would think it would have made more sense for her to be the general she is and command troops now, and maybe negotiate refugee stuff tomorrow.

• Options
    Possibly, but they seemed to be under the impression that, at best, they were going to lose control of the city, no matter what.

They seemed pretty sure of that.

• Options
    Even still, assuming that losing the city is a guarantee, why not be there on the front lines to make that loss take longer and cost the horde more? More time in the offensive in darkshore means more time to evacuate the citizens of the city.

I know this sounds like an attack on her character, but it's really not. It's more of an attack on the writing. WC3 tyrande would have never let the responsibility of defending darnassus up to someone else when she was fit to fight.

This discussion has been closed.