As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Conflict starting in August

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's just difficult for me to be in a position where I think "Helping her people evacuate" is poor writing

The in-game stuff, sure, that's got all the classic problems. But the big picture stuff is...fine?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    A wizard shitty writer did it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    It's just difficult for me to be in a position where I think "Helping her people evacuate" is poor writing

The in-game stuff, sure, that's got all the classic problems. But the big picture stuff is...fine?

I dunno. It feels a little sexist. Tyrande's story generally makes me pretty squicky thinking about it.

• Options
    I mean I'll happily say they continually bungle a lot of Tyrande's writing, especially the continued emphasis on showing that she loves Malfurion by saying "I LOVE YOU" really loudly, but this feels more like their continued struggle to reconcile that she's both a general and religious leadership. Much like Legion had "Oh here she is in the temple praying about Ysera" at launch and "here she is at Suramar shooting people" later, this just feels like they're leaning into the religious leadership part again. Compared to Hush Tyrande and Thanks For Explaining War To Me High King, this hardly even rates :P

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I don’t play much Alliance, but people’s issues with Tyrande seem to go further back than the past two weeks

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    None of the faction leaders have badass moments in WoW. That is a long standing issue.

They're always getting fucked, and the players are always bailing them out of trouble.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    There are tons of badass faction leader moments!

Varians last stand?1

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Here's one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeib65efotE

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Javen wrote: »
    There are tons of badass faction leader moments!

Varians last stand?1

I don't know, that whole scenario was about our faction leaders getting crushed by the Legion. Which is the problem I have with how Blizzard uses the characters.

I'm still salty about Vol'jin getting killed after doing nothing for an expansion.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What Jephery probably meant was that there aren't really badass Horde leader cinematics.

Which, there kinda aren't. The Alliance get to do all the cool shit and be the good guys. Whoo. Go team.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    There weren't many memorable moments in warlords of draenor for me, but I did like Velens.

I'm really interested in seeing the mag'har recruitment quests.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    MuddBudd wrote: »

But don't you know, the Light is just another kind of evil, because WOW is all edgy and shit.

In all seriousness, yep, that's exactly the kind of Big Damn Hero moment I love to see. Not "so and so has been corrupted and turned evil version 616."

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I'm not sure if it counts since its the alternate Velen.

That cheapens it for me.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    What Jephery probably meant was that there aren't really badass Horde leader cinematics.

Which, there kinda aren't. The Alliance get to do all the cool shit and be the good guys. Whoo. Go team.

Oh, then yeah that’s true

• Options
    The light itself might not be evil. But it can drive people to a zealotry that makes them do morally grey deeds for what they believe is the greater good.

I kinda like that, feels more realistic to me.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The light itself might not be evil. But it can drive people to a zealotry that makes them do morally grey deeds for what they believe is the greater good.

I kinda like that, feels more realistic to me.

Depends if you consider the naaru to be embodiments of the Light, or whether they are just another adherent to it. If the latter, you might be right, but if the former, it's pretty clear the naaru do whatever they want.

• Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    On a non lore subject:

3/7 characters cleaned out and ready for BFA. I'm just prepping all of them since I still haven't decided what to play.

I'm also debating about finishing up the legion mount quests. 3/7 on those as well.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Tyrande is leader of the Sentinels though. Who you'd think would be primarily in charge of defending Teldrassil.

i mean if we're going to be analogous to the real world, the leader of an army traditionally is at a safe place where they can direct orders, not in the front lines

obama didn't go down to iraq with an AK

Depends on which point in time in the real world you mean. For a lot of history, yes, military leaders really did lead from the front despite how stupid that might seem to us.

Despite being a priestess, Tyrande is and always has been the leader of the Night Elven military and Malfurion is more of a spiritual figure. The roles should have been reversed.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Tyrande is leader of the Sentinels though. Who you'd think would be primarily in charge of defending Teldrassil.

i mean if we're going to be analogous to the real world, the leader of an army traditionally is at a safe place where they can direct orders, not in the front lines

obama didn't go down to iraq with an AK

Depends on which point in time in the real world you mean. For a lot of history, yes, military leaders really did lead from the front despite how stupid that might seem to us.

Despite being a priestess, Tyrande is and always has been the leader of the Night Elven military and Malfurion is more of a spiritual figure. The roles should have been reversed.

They very clearly did not reverse it because they didn't want Saurfang to hit a woman in the back with an axe

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Really I feel the story they are trying to tell here should have happened between Pandaria and Legion as the stuff Garrosh was building up it's as if someone just turned off the faucet and went on forgetting to clean up.

Well, you know, they didn't have any story ready when they made the part between Pandaria and Legion, so we got WoD instead.

I don't think they have a story for wow just self contained arcs
    The whole exp a year is biting them in the ass

• Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

If the in-game content had any of this, people would have freaked out a bit less. Or at least understood what was happening. But clearly Sylvanas wants this to be the FINAL war between the factions. I suspect that Blizz is going to do just that. I dunno what's going to happen by the end, but pretty sure the status quo is going to change.

I think the explanation for Sylvanas' action just makes it worse. At least impulsive decision is understandable, this is Sylvanas (who had already apparently been doing some plotting around Saurfang) throwing a tantrum because she couldn't wait 5 seconds to see if Saurfang would kill Malfurion or not. Part of her whole character before now was doing everything she could to save the Forsaken regardless of the cost but then she goes and intentionally puts the situation in a victory or death scenario, by her own words. Nothing in the book justifies the fact that she's ignoring the history of Horde/Alliance conflicts and basically going to war because she expects the Alliance to retaliate for her own bad deeds against the Alliance, so this whole thing still feels like a madwoman's power play.

nessin on
  • Options
    nessin wrote: »

If the in-game content had any of this, people would have freaked out a bit less. Or at least understood what was happening. But clearly Sylvanas wants this to be the FINAL war between the factions. I suspect that Blizz is going to do just that. I dunno what's going to happen by the end, but pretty sure the status quo is going to change.

I think the explanation for Sylvanas' action just makes it worse. At least impulsive decision is understandable, this is Sylvanas (who had already apparently been doing some plotting around Saurfang) throwing a tantrum because she couldn't wait 5 seconds to see if Saurfang would kill Malfurion or not. Part of her whole character before now was doing everything she could to save the Forsaken regardless of the cost but then she goes and intentionally puts the situation in a victory or death scenario, by her own words. Nothing in the book justifies the fact that she's ignoring the history of Horde/Alliance conflicts and basically going to war because she expects the Alliance to retaliate for her own bad deeds against the Alliance, so this whole thing still feels like a madwoman's power play.

She went to war because she was anticipating eventual alliance conflict. With Jaina swearing vengeance and Genn's attack on the broken isles it seems like a pretty safe assumption.

It's an odd power play to put your power base in direct danger...and your own existence.

• Options

She went to war because she was anticipating eventual alliance conflict. With Jaina swearing vengeance and Genn's attack on the broken isles it seems like a pretty safe assumption.

It's an odd power play to put your power base in direct danger...and your own existence.

The problem is that the Alliance has had opportunties to crush the Horde and not done so. Saurfang even admits to this in A Good War. The idea that the a peaceful Alliance leader after a period of peacefully working with each other towards a common goal is going to go to war is ridiculous (also referenced in A Good War). It's not like everything is rosey on the Alliance side, and there are plenty of war hawks who hate the Horde, but all of them are past the stage (at least pre-Darkshore) of wiping the Horde off the planet. That includes Jaina who definitely wasn't happy with the world but by Legion/Before the Storm was more focused on getting her anger under control and not crushing the Horde.

And the "Stormheim" response, how something so small and largely ignored/contradicted in the actual lore gets picked up by players as the ultimate whataboutism is mind numbing. To avoid a derail Sylvanas may believe that Genn will drag the Alliance into war (which the natural response is where are the Gnomes, Night Elves, Dwarves, Draenei, and even Humans in this picture) , but that's one facet of an otherwise long list of stuff that either hasn't happened or stuff Sylvanas herself has actually done and expects the Alliance to respond to. I get Sylvanas' reasoning, I have a problem with the way it was written when it could have been so much better and the way players try to justify it in the face of the actual written lore. At the end of the day it's World of Warcraft and we've got a war, that doesn't mean you have to be happy about the way it's written.

• Options
    It's not whataboutism...it's an action that directly leads to Sylvanas' actions.

Ignoring it completely and pretending that the attempted assassination of a warchief was...What a minor thing?

That's pretty ridiculous.

• Options
    sylvanas is the bad guy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    It's not whataboutism...it's an action that directly leads to Sylvanas' actions.

Ignoring it completely and pretending that the attempted assassination of a warchief was...What a minor thing?

That's pretty ridiculous.

I can't remember a single point where Sylvanas has even mentioned it (edit, outside of the actual Stormheim zone that is). The closest you get is a single line from A Good War about Genn having Anduin's ear. And ultimately it's not different than any other faction conflict across WoW. All the relevance put on it beyond just another example of a conflict zone between Alliance and Horde is put on by the players, and none of it makes sense.

- Genn broke a truce? Not according to any lore, and explicitly contradicted in A Good War.

- Genn wasn't punished? Only mentioned in passing thought by Saurfang, and as a overall lore item you can compare it to Sylvanas going against Garrosh in Gilnaes. At least Genn got a stern talking to and showed a lesson learned, Sylvanas got to be Warchief.

- Genn attacking the Horde when there is a bigger threat? Like the Sha? Like Deathwing? I'd argue you could even fit Garrosh into this as well. (To be clear, I'm referring to the fact that one side attacking another while a bigger threat looms has never been as big of a deal as Stormheim is held up by players, despite being something that has happened every expansion with aggression on both sides)

I'd actually agree that maybe a full blown fight between a Alliance leader and the Horde warchief should have more significance but it just doesn't. The writers wanted to tell a conflict story and they wanted to use the Genn/Sylvanas dynamic to do it, that's all it is.

Edit:
    I did forget, Sylvanas does mention Genn in Before the Storm, but from what I remember it's basically just frustration that he ruined her plans.

nessin on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

That whole episode seemed highly out of character for Sylvanas, she who has typically loved to get her hands dirty personally. She just chased after Arthas, recently killed Calia, etc.. Hell, she's IN DARKSHORE HERSELF. Even Garrosh wasn't actually in Pandaria ever, as far as I can remember.

Again, I thought that was some sort of writing by committee nonsense. Somebody wanted to kill Malfurion and somebody else said no. I think.

hippofant on
  • Options

That whole episode seemed highly out of character for Sylvanas, she who has typically loved to get her hands dirty personally. She just chased after Arthas, recently killed Calia, etc.. Hell, she's IN DARKSHORE HERSELF. Even Garrosh wasn't actually in Pandaria ever, as far as I can remember.

Again, I thought that was some sort of writing by committee nonsense. Somebody wanted to kill Malfurion and somebody else said no. I think.

I'd say that's just the general writing style for Blizzard. They setup this situations to tell a story but forcibly avoid killing off main characters for the most part. For example, Garrosh was in Pandaria and even had a direct fight with Anduin (well, "fight" was actually just him destroying the divine bell and have it collapse on Anduin). Story wise he thought he'd actually killed Anduin, but it turns out he just barely survived and Garrosh didn't bother to check. On the Alliance side you were spared to tell Varian that his son had been killed, on the Horde side you just stand there and not finish the job (you basically take the role of Saurfang in Saurfang v Malfurion).

Just think of all the times you face a future Dungeon/Raid boss in the open world, it's beat them down but get stunned at the last minute while they call in something to kill you, at which point someone saves you the last minute, or they run away while your stun wears off.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Yeah the setup is obvious - Saurfang kills Malfurion and Tyrande arrives to take his corpse away, just like Saurfang did with his son's corpse.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The thing is, they have written themselves into a corner with Sylvanas's actions. The WC3 Night Elf response is pretty much full on jihad/holy war of extermination of the horde. Think Minbari from Babylon 5 after Dukhat is killed by Earthforce. If they settle for anything less, then they are not matching the characterization of the Night Elves. One way or another, there is going to have to be massive changes to the game world political setup in response. Returning to the status quo would be a laughable failure in storytelling.

I'm expecting to laugh a lot.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Helping the other half try to get to 110 to get the hippogryph before it goes away on a Blood Elf hunter.

I'm somewhat amused that Vereesa is pledging the Silver Covenant to support a Blood Elf.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    The thing is, they have written themselves into a corner with Sylvanas's actions. The WC3 Night Elf response is pretty much full on jihad/holy war of extermination of the horde. Think Minbari from Babylon 5 after Dukhat is killed by Earthforce. If they settle for anything less, then they are not matching the characterization of the Night Elves. One way or another, there is going to have to be massive changes to the game world political setup in response. Returning to the status quo would be a laughable failure in storytelling.

I'm expecting to laugh a lot.

Yeah at this point there is no way to get back to even "uneasy cooperation" any more.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

ywiibwrmjho0.jpg

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular

The problem is that the Alliance has had opportunties to crush the Horde and not done so. Saurfang even admits to this in A Good War. The idea that the a peaceful Alliance leader after a period of peacefully working with each other towards a common goal is going to go to war is ridiculous (also referenced in A Good War). It's not like everything is rosey on the Alliance side, and there are plenty of war hawks who hate the Horde, but all of them are past the stage (at least pre-Darkshore) of wiping the Horde off the planet. That includes Jaina who definitely wasn't happy with the world but by Legion/Before the Storm was more focused on getting her anger under control and not crushing the Horde.

And the "Stormheim" response, how something so small and largely ignored/contradicted in the actual lore gets picked up by players as the ultimate whataboutism is mind numbing. To avoid a derail Sylvanas may believe that Genn will drag the Alliance into war (which the natural response is where are the Gnomes, Night Elves, Dwarves, Draenei, and even Humans in this picture) , but that's one facet of an otherwise long list of stuff that either hasn't happened or stuff Sylvanas herself has actually done and expects the Alliance to respond to. I get Sylvanas' reasoning, I have a problem with the way it was written when it could have been so much better and the way players try to justify it in the face of the actual written lore. At the end of the day it's World of Warcraft and we've got a war, that doesn't mean you have to be happy about the way it's written.

Of course it gets referenced by players because they were there for that whole thing. At this point I'm just rolling with the idea that there are two narratives being played out, we have the official "government sanctioned" version that is being put into books and what-nots and is essentially a cleaned-up version of events for consumption of the Azerothian peasantry and then we have what actually happened as experienced by you the player.

Officially we are denying that anything took place in Stormheim, but unofficially beasts in hats are still beasts.
    Sylvanas officially burns the Teldrassil for Reasons, but first person accounts is that she lost her shit after being sassed by some elf.
    On Darnassus daytime tv Tyrande comes across as a leader with her heart in the right place and Malfurion as powerful but likeable demigod, in person she is turns out to be a massive asshole and he is just annoyingly dumb and useless.
    The players are saviours of azeroth, champions of a bunch of things and all around awesome but behind that nice facade lurks loot-crazed murderhobos.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey guys in a few hours us Horde get to
    Spray a murderous plague across an open battlefield killing friend and for alike!

Isn't that exciting?!

• Options
    I'm just ready for this damn expansion to launch. I've had nothing to do for the whole prepatch except spin my wheels. All four of my primary 110s are 250+ ilvl, so there wasn't anything to improve on their gear for levelling.

Basically all I've done for three weeks is farm transmog, and I've done so much of it.

I have a spreadsheet that I maintain for plate and leather, and when I find an item I like I add it to the spreadsheet so that when I'm mog farming, I can decide what to do based on the list. I've farmed so much transmog that I cleared the entire thing, and it was 100+ items.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I've been farming sets on my warrior. Its nice doing it on my warrior because I get pretty much all weapon transmogs except wands

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Spray a murderous plague across an open battlefield killing friend and for alike!

Isn't that exciting?!

What, again?

Murderous plague must be like Forsaken duct tape.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Isn't that exciting?!

You mean you get to do it again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    so uh... they nerfed kara leveling.... do i have to go to cata :O ?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
This discussion has been closed.