Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I managed to beat porygon after three tries. And by i I mean someone joined in the third round. Why are fighting types so rare? My best fighting type is that bear.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    I managed to beat porygon after three tries. And by i I mean someone joined in the third round. Why are fighting types so rare? My best fighting type is that bear.

Look for a nest near you. We had a Makuhita nest near my work really recently for example. Also try to look for Machamp raids I suppose, though I haven't seen one around here in awhile :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Look for a nest near you. We had a Makuhita nest near my work really recently for example. Also try to look for Machamp raids I suppose, though I haven't seen one around here in awhile :(

it might have rotated out of the possible raids

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have seen ma champ but I doubt I could take it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have seen ma champ but I doubt I could take it.

Needs 6 high powered psychic types.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've got a Mewtwo, a Lugia and four Alakazams, all powered up to level 31 with high IVs and all-psychic moves, and I generally beat Machamp with only seconds to spare.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Well I walked my Eevee 10km and got a flare on. Is it just a chance to get esp umber at ten k?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Well I walked my Eevee 10km and got a flare on. Is it just a chance to get esp umber at ten k?

No, it should be Umbreon or Espeon at 10K. Either it wasn't walked that far or something went wrong.

• Options

Happened to me too once. I walk 20 now just to be sure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I think it also needs to be your buddy at evolve time

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »

This could be it, pretty sure I had prewalked it and evolved it as part of a lucky egg spree.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Caught a shiny Wailmer this morning, which brings my total of shinies to 8. Not going to evolve him yet though, in case one of the Celebi research quests needs me to evolve another Pokemon with ridiculous candy requirements.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I'm going to be in Edinburgh with my mom and some knitting buddies August 18-20 (Saturday through Monday). Any forumers in the area? We could meet up and knock out the trading distance badge (I live in Wisconsin).

My friend code is 9619 8008 7517 (Calica86)

• Options
    Oh, forgot to post this. Picked it up yesterday from a research quest:
    r4ty2l5tp5yl.png

Thank you Mareep research quest for helping poor people like me that missed your community day :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Wait, why does yours show the IV? This is an android only thing isn't it?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Wait, why does yours show the IV? This is an android only thing isn't it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.opensource.goiv

There is probably something available for iOS too.

• Options
    iOS needs to take screenshots and use pokegenie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    lol @38thDoe 's buddy

• Options
    edited August 2018
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Grobian wrote: »

This could be it, pretty sure I had prewalked it and evolved it as part of a lucky egg spree.

Reading the gamepress guide about evolving eevee for community day, yes the eevee has to be your buddy at the time you evolve. You can walk it 10 km, change to another pokemon etc., but you have to change it back when you evolve.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I dunno, it still seems pretty crappy to me, at least on a technical level. Game still runs like shit, has next to no tracking, gps problems, crashes, etc. Don't get me started on Go+ connectivity problems. It's just that they've finally added enough things that are actually interesting to do to it that I'm interested in playing again.

Basically, said it before, but I wish Niantic wasn't running this game. I feel like most other companies wouldn't have such a shoddy product two years after launch, especially with the money it makes them...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    I dunno, it still seems pretty crappy to me, at least on a technical level. Game still runs like shit, has next to no tracking, gps problems, crashes, etc. Don't get me started on Go+ connectivity problems. It's just that they've finally added enough things that are actually interesting to do to it that I'm interested in playing again.

Basically, said it before, but I wish Niantic wasn't running this game. I feel like most other companies wouldn't have such a shoddy product two years after launch, especially with the money it makes them...

See, it has a lot of problems, and definitely should be a lot better.

But have you tried any of the competitors? They're somehow worse!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I hear people say that, and my normal reaction is "Who else could?" If you play any of the other popular AR Games out there, you quickly realize kinda how lucky we are. The Walking Dead game is all about Loot Boxes and has no geographical gameplay. The game plays the same here as it would in Arizona. The Jurassic Park game has plenty of dino variety, but the map data is so bad that it spawns things on the edges of park territory, regardless of if that particular area is even approachable. Draconius is just a straight up Russian rip off of Go, so it's like a weird Upside Down version of Go where the animations are smooth as silk and there's never connectivity problems, but everything is translated terribly and nothing ever spawns around you.

Until Ingress2 or whatever comes out, Pokemon is still the best game in this weird ass genre. Unless of course there's a game I don't know about.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I don't ever even have the AR on because depth of field is fucky as hell and makes me waste a bunch of balls.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    I hear people say that, and my normal reaction is "Who else could?" If you play any of the other popular AR Games out there, you quickly realize kinda how lucky we are. The Walking Dead game is all about Loot Boxes and has no geographical gameplay. The game plays the same here as it would in Arizona. The Jurassic Park game has plenty of dino variety, but the map data is so bad that it spawns things on the edges of park territory, regardless of if that particular area is even approachable. Draconius is just a straight up Russian rip off of Go, so it's like a weird Upside Down version of Go where the animations are smooth as silk and there's never connectivity problems, but everything is translated terribly and nothing ever spawns around you.

Until Ingress2 or whatever comes out, Pokemon is still the best game in this weird ass genre. Unless of course there's a game I don't know about.

Ingress2 is Harry Potter: Wizards Unite!.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

"Pokemon GO without the Pokemon" is a hard no for me. And I ran a Harry Potter club for two years.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »

"Pokemon GO without the Pokemon" is a hard no for me. And I ran a Harry Potter club for two years.

It sounds like "Pokemon Go but everyone's fighting the same monsters"

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Spoit wrote: »

See, it has a lot of problems, and definitely should be a lot better.

But have you tried any of the competitors? They're somehow worse!

I mean, they aren't Pokemon though. I would hold such a successful franchise to a higher standard, especially given the Money Bin levels of cash this app is making. I feel like Nintendo would be embarrassed if they released a console game this broken, let alone left it that way for 2 years...

And I've used this comparison in the past, but look at Fire Emblem Heroes - another Nintendo mobile title. They had like 10 minutes of network problems at midnight PST on a random night (wasn't even like the major release of a new summoning banner or anything) and they're giving everyone 5 free orbs as an apology. In fact they do this anytime there is even the slightest bug or problem discovered.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    It seems like a real stretch to call Pokemon Go "broken." I mean, it runs fine for me 99 percent of the time. Widespread outages are extremely rare, and Niantic has stretched out community days to compensate. And I do miss the pinpoint tracking, but I don't miss how buggy it made the game run.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It seems like a real stretch to call Pokemon Go "broken." I mean, it runs fine for me 99 percent of the time. Widespread outages are extremely rare, and Niantic has stretched out community days to compensate. And I do miss the pinpoint tracking, but I don't miss how buggy it made the game run.

I dunno, I frequently have to restart the app (often several times before it stops hanging at login) because it has locked up or gone into some endless spinning pokeball cycle where it won't do anything (or sometimes I'll click a gym and nothing will happen but the game thinks I'm looking at the gym so all my buttons are gone and I can't do anything). GPS is still an absolute mess. Network is better but still has bad spikes at times (I remember the network actually went down in the middle of my first Regice raid). You have stupid things like visual bugs all over the place (literally half of the gyms I click on get messed up backgrounds), a berry not-disappearing bug that shouldn't have made it out of basic testing, and then a fix that causes the game to actually crash if you run away from a berried pokemon and re-click.

Don't get me wrong, I am actually enjoying the game again. But that doesn't stop it from continuing to be a buggy mess and from Niantic to continue to make stupid decisions (how do you add friend sorting and somehow make it WORSE than it was?).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I dunno, I frequently have to restart the app (often several times before it stops hanging at login) because it has locked up or gone into some endless spinning pokeball cycle where it won't do anything (or sometimes I'll click a gym and nothing will happen but the game thinks I'm looking at the gym so all my buttons are gone and I can't do anything). GPS is still an absolute mess. Network is better but still has bad spikes at times (I remember the network actually went down in the middle of my first Regice raid). You have stupid things like visual bugs all over the place (literally half of the gyms I click on get messed up backgrounds), a berry not-disappearing bug that shouldn't have made it out of basic testing, and then a fix that causes the game to actually crash if you run away from a berried pokemon and re-click.

Don't get me wrong, I am actually enjoying the game again. But that doesn't stop it from continuing to be a buggy mess and from Niantic to continue to make stupid decisions (how do you add friend sorting and somehow make it WORSE than it was?).

On the other hand I have played consistently since launch, and really don't experience those things.

It only hangs on login if I move out of range of wifi while it is loading. If I load on wifi, or on my phones data, it'ss fine. The transition mid-load freezes it.

GPS decides to wander sometimes, but I just see that as free distance for eggs and buddy. Most of the time it is pretty solid for me.

I suspect specific phone used and local signal strength have far more to do with whether or not people have those troubles. I won't debate whether or not that makes the game bad.

As a point of reference, I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S6 in Orange County CA, although I've also played fine in Salt Lake, Utah, and a couple different Hawaiian islands.

Edit: Want to make sure it's clear. I'm not trying to discount your experience at all. If the game ran like that for me, I'm sure I'd be calling it broken too. Just saying my user experience is not the same as yours. Neither is my wife's on her ancient iPhone 5s? The last generation before they started making the Android sized phones. she has more issues than I do, but her phone is pretty much garbage at this point, and still doesn't experience what you describe.

Leeks on
  • Options
    No, I know you're not. And I understand not everyone has the same issues. But still, as I've often said, it often feels like the game was developed with San Francisco (or <insert big, populous city>) in mind and they've rarely bothered to venture out of that bubble to realize the game doesn't work quite the same for those of us not in range of 50 pokestops at all hours :P

In any case, GPS is what it is, but I never experience problems with any other GPS app. It's specifically Niantic's implementation that causes issues. And egg distance doesn't really help if the game thinks everytime GPS causes me to move even a little bit, I'm in a car and despawns everything around me. And the load problems aren't related to wifi, though I've had that problem before (that's not their fault tho, not going to blame them because I drove too close to a McDonald's and my phone auto-connected to the wifi that requires you to click a button).

I guess my biggest gripe is that a competent company would have coded for weak signals or any number of problems. Instead of Pokemon Go which just seems to freak out and not know what to do and puke all over itself :P

• Options
    IIRC they weakened the signals deliberately to try to combat some sort of spoofing/cheating or something?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock's situation is the thing that most fascinates me about any sort of AR/MR/Location game, is how well does thing thing do if you're not in a city. Every game I've ever played works fine and I've taken them all over this dumb state, but I'd love to know how you folks in Ohio and Nebraska and Oklahoma (where I heard something about the wind.) have this game running for ya. Cause I know during the few times they'd get an article about em, the Jurassic Park developers were very adamant about making sure this game worked in Kansas as well as it did in Manhattan, but the size difference between the two games almost makes the point moot.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    woot woot

nj4o2dtxckl6.png

My second shiny.

e: oh, there's an event on. I feel less special now.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got a shiny Eevee, then found a gym which had a shiny Vaporeon and Jolteon and figured it was Eevee season

The “catch 3 Eevees” quests I kept getting were super easy to complete, though

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Warlock's situation is the thing that most fascinates me about any sort of AR/MR/Location game, is how well does thing thing do if you're not in a city. Every game I've ever played works fine and I've taken them all over this dumb state, but I'd love to know how you folks in Ohio and Nebraska and Oklahoma (where I heard something about the wind.) have this game running for ya. Cause I know during the few times they'd get an article about em, the Jurassic Park developers were very adamant about making sure this game worked in Kansas as well as it did in Manhattan, but the size difference between the two games almost makes the point moot.

I'm in Oklahoma and the game works just fine for me. :p

And my experience is pretty much like Leeks. Granted I'm on an iPhone X. Maybe Warlock is just unlucky?

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I live in Northern Michigan and it works fine. I occasionally have loading issues, but I also have a crappy LG and use Straight Talk.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    It's still dangerous to go outside here in northern CA, so I roosted up in a starbucks yesterday and caught some 50 Eevee, and no shinies. Alas. Another day.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    My daughter is the luckiest of people. She didn't play yesterday (admittedly I didn't get to play all that much either), and within the first hour had like 4 shinies.

I think she got like 6 total, so could've been better.
    I got 2.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Guys I had such a great day today.
    I've never seen so many people playing this dumb game for babies, it was like the first few months. I guess Eevee's pretty popular? But yea, there were enough people playing that we even took down a Registeel and I caught it on first throw!
    Guys, I think I like this game? Like, alot?