Options

Fallout 3 == Oblivion?

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I became honestly scared of anything that comes from NMA the moment I read this...

3a1b535bf522b87a7c9f678d99bbf518c99.png

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I became honestly scared of anything that comes from NMA the moment I read this...

3a1b535bf522b87a7c9f678d99bbf518c99.png

This can't be real. If it is, Bethesda is going to get suicide bombers lining up at the gates. Like, a fucking Jihad is going to happen, with NoMA Bin-Fanbitch at the helm of it.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This can't be real. If it is, Bethesda is going to get suicide bombers lining up at the gates. Like, a fucking Jihad is going to happen, with NoMA Bin-Fanbitch at the helm of it.

There was another post somebody copied here from NMA in a really old thread where somebody called Fallout "The game I lost a wife, and three jobs for," and there was another one about shouting at a GameStop employee for suggesting that Fallout 3 might have potential. Maybe it's an inside joke, a Roman poking fun his own depravity.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    You can beat Morrowind in 7 minutes and have multupule thousands of points of intelligence, or strength. You can hit so hard that you will break any weapon in the game hitting someone. And Oblivion was supposedly easier?

Well, to their credit, I'm just going off of a generalized memory I have from visiting there briefly and knowing someone on a different forum who touts their virtues. I'm sure there's been something lost in the translation from their page to my brain. :D

Skexis on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hevach wrote: »

There was another post somebody copied here from NMA in a really old thread where somebody called Fallout "The game I lost a wife, and three jobs for," and there was another one about shouting at a GameStop employee for suggesting that Fallout 3 might have potential. Maybe it's an inside joke, a Roman poking fun his own depravity.

Man I hope so.

Although I think the key thing to remember is that this does not make the Romans any less depraved.

subedii on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You guys do know Tube gets angry when we dwell on NMA right? Because it might not be best to go dwelling on NMA. They're largely an inbred retard party who don't need any attention. Best just to draw a line under it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Garu wrote: »
    Making a game that is not an exact copy of the original Fallout will piss off the dedicated fanbase. Many of the "hardcore" fans don't even acknowledge Fallout 2 as a true sequel, and some even refuse to accept it as canon. Does anyone have the quote from the developer in which he lays into those fans for complaining every damn little thing?

Personally, I loved the original Fallout games, and even enjoyed Tactics. I also love Oblivion, and I have very high hopes for this game.

I think Bethesda fully intends to alienate any dedicated fanbase who considers Fallout 2 to not be a true sequel.

Because there's only ten of them and they wouldn't buy a new fallout even if it was just the old one copied onto a new CD with $50 packaged in the box.

And they're fucking retards.

So any business proposal involving a new fallout would almost certainly exclude them as a target audience.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just because Fallout 3 will use the Oblivion engine doesn't mean that it is in any way related to Oblivion the game. It is just an engine, appearantly versatile enough to be used for other games than Oblivion. This is actually good news, if it means that Fallout 3 will be as mod-friendly as Oblivion is. I wasn't extatic about Oblivion either, but the countless mods has righted most wrongs.

As for Fallout 3 being fun and entertaining, isn't this something we want? Or does some twat out there want it to be dull and boring?

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Roshin wrote: »
    Just because Fallout 3 will use the Oblivion engine doesn't mean that it is in any way related to Oblivion the game. It is just an engine, appearantly versatile enough to be used for other games than Oblivion. This is actually good news, if it means that Fallout 3 will be as mod-friendly as Oblivion is. I wasn't extatic about Oblivion either, but the countless mods has righted most wrongs.

As for Fallout 3 being fun and entertaining, isn't this something we want? Or does some twat out there want it to be dull and boring?

TBH, I'd be quite happy if fallout 3 was very similar to Oblivion. Oblivion was a great game, but the swords and sorcery leaves me flacid so I didn't really get into it all that much, but the whole time I played it I kept thinking 'Man, if I had a chaingun and that troll was a nuclear zombie, I'd be having so much fun right now'. If they simply take Oblivion and give it a Fallout skin, I'll be lapping that shit up. Anything else will be a bonus.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just because Fallout 3 will use the Oblivion engine doesn't mean that it is in any way related to Oblivion the game. It is just an engine, appearantly versatile enough to be used for other games than Oblivion.

Very versatile.

And for those who don't automatically trust the infallible wikipedia, the developer's site mentions both Civ4 and Oblivion, which is already enough versatility that I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see it doing Pong.

Hevach on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TBH, I'd be quite happy if fallout 3 was very similar to Oblivion. Oblivion was a great game, but the swords and sorcery leaves me flacid so I didn't really get into it all that much, but the whole time I played it I kept thinking 'Man, if I had a chaingun and that troll was a nuclear zombie, I'd be having so much fun right now'. If they simply take Oblivion and give it a Fallout skin, I'll be lapping that shit up. Anything else will be a bonus.

There was one mod that planned to drop tanks and modern firearms into Oblivion and the guy making it took a ginormous amount of flak on the forums from the Oblivion traditionalists. I don't know if it ever reached release, but I thought it sounded great. The idea of tanks rolling around the landscape and shooting wizzards with automatic weapons sounded awesome.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    Very versatile.

And for those who don't automatically trust the infallible wikipedia, the developer's site mentions both Civ4 and Oblivion, which is already enough versatility that I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see it doing Pong.

Bethseda is going to just ruin Pong. I'm no fanatic or anything, but I don't think that Bethseda is really capable of creating a decent successor to Pong.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I used to be a dedicated poster on NMA... a decade ago, before moving on to Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate forums. They could be... unnecessarally harsh.

Anyway, everything I've seen on Fallout 3 has been pretty positive. The descriptions of the plotlines sound like appropriate stuff for a Fallout game, and they've even taken some of the lessons from the first two games when designing their real time combat system. I'm a turnbased fan myself, but I can see how it might be an issue with engines like this one and with new series converts. The fact that Mass Effect managed to be successful with RPG fans despite the real time combat leads me to believe that FO3 could be just fine.

I've also read that there won't be the ridiculous level of scaling that they use in the Elder Scrolls games... there will be places you can't go when you first start off because you will get annihilated by Super Mutants or whatnot.

The interviews with the Bethesda team leads me to believe that they liked Fallout the way it was, and are desperately trying to re-create their original experience, when they were just fans themselves.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't give a shit if Bethesda goes real-time, turn-based, or turns it into a Eye of Judgement clone. All I know is that as long as I can walk through the wasteland with my dog by my side and my rifle in my hand, listening to the Ink Spots on my radio, I'll be content.

That and, really, after "Fallout: Piece of Shit" for the X-Box, it's hard to see where the series could go anywhere but up.

My one disappointment: they got rid of targeted groin shots :(

My squee moment that offset my disappointment: you'll apparently be able to take targeted shots on enemy guns, recover broken guns for parts, and use them to tweak and upgrade your existed weapons. :)

Besides, you just know someone's gonna mod the damn game and bring back groin shots sooner or later :P

themocaw on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I know this a little off-topic, but I don't understand all the hate for Oblivion. I sank a lot of time into it, and I enjoyed playing through the game. In fact, all the people that I personally know that played it enjoyed it as well (there are only four).

My friends all played it on 360, and I played it on PS3. Also, none of us ever played Morrowind. Perhaps these factors have something to do with it.

Stylistically, Oblivion isn't the kind of RPG I enjoy. It comes down to quest design, characters and the dialogue system. Turn based versus real time I don't care about. Levelling systems I have no preference, though I don't like levels in pen and paper games.

But the quests...ye gods, the quests were so damn boring. Above all, I want options in how I resolve a quest- not just options in how I go about succeeding (stealth, diplomacy, cunning, combat, etc) but choices I can make as to how to resolve a situation. The Dark Brotherhood quests were the only ones with any flavor whatsoever, and even they were pretty basic as far as choices went.

Oblivion had no real characters. Oh sure, there were a couple NPCs who get more than a little bit of development, but no one memorable. Not really. And without party members to make up the gap...the Fallout games, Torment, BG2 Mass Effect, etc, and those kinds of RPGs had memorable characters who develop. I love that stuff.

Last, I like good dialogue. I like dialogue trees. I've just started playing Mass Effect and I'm quite enamored with that system. The chat wheel in Oblivion...good god, how boring can it be?

I'm hoping Fallout 3 will have the wonderful atmosphere of the original games and at least Mass Effect level quest/character design, though in my heart of hearts I really hope for something on the level of Torment.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I know this a little off-topic, but I don't understand all the hate for Oblivion. I sank a lot of time into it, and I enjoyed playing through the game. In fact, all the people that I personally know that played it enjoyed it as well (there are only four).

My friends all played it on 360, and I played it on PS3. Also, none of us ever played Morrowind. Perhaps these factors have something to do with it.

Stylistically, Oblivion isn't the kind of RPG I enjoy. It comes down to quest design, characters and the dialogue system. Turn based versus real time I don't care about. Levelling systems I have no preference, though I don't like levels in pen and paper games.

But the quests...ye gods, the quests were so damn boring. Above all, I want options in how I resolve a quest- not just options in how I go about succeeding (stealth, diplomacy, cunning, combat, etc) but choices I can make as to how to resolve a situation. The Dark Brotherhood quests were the only ones with any flavor whatsoever, and even they were pretty basic as far as choices went.

Oblivion had no real characters. Oh sure, there were a couple NPCs who get more than a little bit of development, but no one memorable. Not really. And without party members to make up the gap...the Fallout games, Torment, BG2 Mass Effect, etc, and those kinds of RPGs had memorable characters who develop. I love that stuff.

Last, I like good dialogue. I like dialogue trees. I've just started playing Mass Effect and I'm quite enamored with that system. The chat wheel in Oblivion...good god, how boring can it be?

I'm hoping Fallout 3 will have the wonderful atmosphere of the original games and at least Mass Effect level quest/character design, though in my heart of hearts I really hope for something on the level of Torment.

The problem is Bethsoft has never demonstrated any ability to deliver any of this. They have some of the worst RPG writing around.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If it's even vaguely influenced by the guy that headed up shivering isles, it'll be awesome. Memorable characters there and good writing.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bethesda hasn't produced a quality game since Wayne Gretzky Hockey 2.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2007
    Oblivion is one of the most unfairly maligned games of the last five years. I can see why people don't like it, but nerds seem unable to say "yeah I didn't like that game", or to express any kind of accurate account of the games quality. No, it has to be "this game made me sick, literally sick, I vomited blood and hatred. It's the worst game in the world". Professor Phobos up above is an example of someone actually giving a decent account of why they don't like it without shrieking geeky hyperbole.

For instance, accurate account of radiant AI would be "the AI was sometimes dissappointing, as the conversations were repetitive and sometimes comic" rather than "good day!" "AAAIIIII" which never actually happened. You'd maybe get "good day" "go away" "goodbye". It's like people saying "OMG THE LEVEL SCALING WAS SO BAD AT LEVEL 30 I WAS GETTING KILLED BY RATS" no, you weren't, because the level scaling doesn't work that way.

Hell, I could write you an essay on the things I don't like about Oblivion. It's absolutely true that there isn't as much to do as there was in Morrowind, but there's still 80+ hours of stuff to do. The story and dialogue weren't very good, but the guy saying "bethesda write horrible dialogue" obviously never got to Vivec in Morrowind.

If you don't like it, fair enough, I can see why. Don't turn into fucking Comic Book Guy over it though, and try and keep your criticisms vaguely in the realm of fact.

Tube on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, I liked some of the bugs in Oblivion that I came across. It's still a good game. :|

Ever cast Paralysis on the mailman's horse? This is comedy at its finest.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think I complained loudly about it looking awful on standard TV, but I can't complain all that much about the gameplay. Its not amazing, but I got my money's worth, easily. Bought it twice, for PC and 360 and beat it twice. I had fun beating the game at level 1. I also really liked Morrowind, moreso than Oblivion.

Bethesda's said straight up that Fallout 3 is not going to be Oblivion. I've been a fan of Fallout since it first came out, like 10 years ago, but I played them to death ages ago, and I'll be happy just to see another good game set in the universe.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Morrowind has some of the most impressive world-building I have ever seen in a game. The moral ambiguity of a colonized society that has become part of the Imperial hegemony was by itself impressive. And there's some great writing in the main plotline. But I guess it isn't good writing unless you can get ass-raped by a super-mutant or some shit.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think the real weakness of Oblivion's dialogue was that they tried to voice over everything. You can't do it with a game that size and still have a lot of good dialogue. You just can't. In Morrowind if they had a big bit of dialogue, they VO'd a little bit of it and then you read the rest. Same with Planescape.

Tube on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the real weakness of Oblivion's dialogue was that they tried to voice over everything. You can't do it with a game that size and still have a lot of good dialogue. You just can't. In Morrowind if they had a big bit of dialogue, they VO'd a little bit of it and then you read the rest. Same with Planescape.

It would probably have helped if they had more than like ten voice actors too. Come on, Bethesda, you've basically got Microsoft footin' the bill, spend a little more. Focus less on celebrities and more on just getting everyone to actually sound distinctive.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Furu wrote: »

It would probably have helped if they had more than like ten voice actors too. Come on, Bethesda, you've basically got Microsoft footin' the bill, spend a little more. Focus less on celebrities and more on just getting everyone to actually sound distinctive.

Except Ron Perlman. A Fallout Game without Ron Perlman is like a Sam Raimi movie without Bruce Campbell: travesty incarnate.

themocaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Absolutely. They certainly shouldn't have gotten Patrick Stewart. What was the point? You could probably hire ten voice actors for the price of him alone. Sean Bean was great though, and Terence Stamp would have been great if it was a better character.

Tube on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The idea of tanks rolling around the landscape and shooting wizzards with automatic weapons sounded awesome.
    Off topic, but at first I thought you meant the tanks would be firing wizards holding AK-47s out of their barrels.

Which would be another kind of awesome.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    themocaw wrote: »
    Except Ron Perlman. A Fallout Game without Ron Perlman is like a Sam Raimi movie without Bruce Campbell: travesty incarnate.

War. War never changes.

Then a little Satchmo: Give me a kiss to build a dream on...

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Furu wrote: »

Like honestly, just get people who work at the office to do some lines.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

War. War never changes.

Then a little Satchmo: Give me a kiss to build a dream on...

The song they're using for Fallout 3 in the trailer is pretty good: "I Don't Want To Set The World Afire" by the Ink Spots.

themocaw on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

:^:

You just couldn't have the Vivec speeches done in 3-4 line bursts like they've done in Oblivion. It would take too long.

Another one of the major beefs I had with Oblivion was that there was no environment variety.

Take your pick: Temperate Forest, Dry Forest, Swampy Forest, Ash-Grounded Forest, or Snowy Forest.

Do you see a pattern?
    THEY'RE ALL FORESTS.

I mean, DAGGERFALL did it better, in my opinion. There were mountainous areas which were always covered with snow, there were deserts that never saw rain except for a single week during the year, and temperate zones shifted, in weather effects and textures, from snow to rain.

And before you say I'm looking through rose colored glasses, I have the game installed. I've been playing it lately. I am acutely aware of the flaws. People who complain about Morrowind's journal have never seen Daggerfalls. D:

MechMantis on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Absolutely. They certainly shouldn't have gotten Patrick Stewart. What was the point? You could probably hire ten voice actors for the price of him alone. Sean Bean was great though, and Terence Stamp would have been great if it was a better character.

The only thing to make Patrick Stewart worthwhile would've been an Extras easter-egg.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Daggerfall did a fucking ton of shit that no game has ever done as well since. You can't compare modern games to Daggerfall. It just doesn't work.

Tube on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You can.

It just doesn't make the modern games look good.

Which is rather silly. Shouldn't they have improved by now?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Daggerfall did a fucking ton of shit that no game has ever done as well since. You can't compare modern games to Daggerfall. It just doesn't work.

The advantage of running a game on an engine that wasn't top of the line even when it came out. Daggerfall isn't even SVGA, is it?

Fallout did the same thing, really. Thats why Fallout 2 was able to be so XBOX HUEG.
    MechMantis wrote: »

They should have, except for the fact that that not many companies are making niche RPGs like Fallout anymore. They all want to make mainstream releases.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the problem is that Brian Fargo and his team stumbled onto something epic, made slight improvements only to fall onto a buyout. That's what I see when I play Fallout, a legacy. How do I put it into words though. How would I translate that to the 3d realm. Well at first I'd say, hey, in that screenshot right there, you can't shoot people in the eyes nor can you aim for the groin. I say this remembering npc's yelling out "My fucking eye!". The fact that they have an aiming system at all shows that they're trying something old, with something new.

Regardless of me nitpicking, I'm still reserving final opinion when it's released.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You can.

xcom-screenie.gif

themocaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You can.

xcom-screenie.gif

You'd think it'd be simple to just translate that directly into 3d. Think Again!

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Daggerfall was awesome. I became a vampire and rocked the house. That said, I never finished the fucker because I lost interest... and I'm not even sure vampires could win the game. Never finished Morrowind either... after I became head of my noble house and got my own evil wizard tower, I was done. Both games I consider great, however, because they gave me what I wanted.

Just because a game is older doesn't mean it was worse or that it couldn't provide something that other games couldn't. Anyone who has played Scavengers of the Mutant World knows that there are some things that game did perfectly that nobody else comes close to now, despite the game being overall a failure.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    I think the problem is that Brian Fargo and his team stumbled onto something epic, made slight improvements only to fall onto a buyout. That's what I see when I play Fallout, a legacy. How do I put it into words though. How would I translate that to the 3d realm. Well at first I'd say, hey, in that screenshot right there, you can't shoot people in the eyes nor can you aim for the groin. I say this remembering npc's yelling out "My fucking eye!". The fact that they have an aiming system at all shows that they're trying something old, with something new.

Eye shots were totally unbalanced from a game perspective, though. Once you got good enough to aim for them and hit consistently, there was no reason to aim for anything else. Groin shots, as much as I miss them, were much the same: they caused knockout almost as consistently as headshots would, and they'd hit much more often.

My big thing is that I hope torso shots get better: in Fallout 1-2-T, there's no reason to aim for the torso at all: you lose 10% to hit and spend an extra AP for a slight improvement in critical chance? Please.

themocaw on