Options

[Marvel]Thread:From Miniscule Arthropods, Murderous Tex-Mex lovers, and Marvelous Captains

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    There was a storyline in Secret Invasion where one of the heroes was a Skrull infiltrator who had completely had a change of heart and was just legitimately being a hero. At the end of the story, the Skrull Kill Crew detected that Skrull hero right after the hero had done some really great work and mercilessly killed him, on the assumption he was just another one of the infiltrators.

There's also Superior Spider-Man, which has many of the qualities requested above. Peter Parker's original mind criticizes Doc Ock's efforts a lot and Ock ends up being shocked in good and bad ways by Peter's true power and the humble state of his life and etc. In the end, Ock admits that Peter is better at being a hero and voluntarily dies to save his loved ones.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Feige confirms more woman-led Marvel films are in the works https://ew.com/movies/2018/09/06/kevin-feige-captain-marvel-female-led-marvel-movies/
    “With [Ant-Man and The Wasp] and now with Captain Marvel and many movies to be announced in the near future, I’m anxious for the time where it’s not a novelty that there is a female-led superhero movie, but it is a norm,” Feige told EW. “And it is less a story of, ‘Oh, look, a female hero,’ and it’s more a story of, ‘Oh, what’s this about? Who’s this character? I’m excited to see that.’ And I think we can get there.”
    So, um, what took so long?

“I think there are a lot of reasons,” Feige said, “not the least of which was fighting for many years the erroneous notion that audiences did not want to see a female-led hero [film] because of a slew of films 15 years ago that didn’t work. And my belief was always that they didn’t work not because they were female-led stories — they didn’t work because they were not particularly good movies.”
    “I’ve always said, I root for all genre movies because the success of those movies helps us,” Feige says. “Because not everybody knows the difference between what studio makes what movie or what comic book company what character comes from. So I’m very pleased when any film in our genre [does well] — not just superheroes, but action or sci-fi or anything. The success of Wonder Woman made me very happy because as I’ve said before in the press, I’d much rather the question be, ‘Oh gosh, what did you think about that successful female-led hero that came out a few years ago?’ Rather than the question I used to get, which was, ‘Are you afraid that people don’t want to see a female hero?’”

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I was thinking about spider gwen because of the sp//dr stuff

Man they should just make a spider women ongoing. Grab Silk and Spider Woman and throw them in gwens universe and have a grand ol time

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to cool on the idea of "all women" media. I think it's leading to a precedent where they're just shunting the responsibility of including women into niches instead of integrating them.

Like, instead of hiring more women generally to crew movies or represent in media, they do a handful of "oops, all women" productions and call it progress.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I was thinking about spider gwen because of the sp//dr stuff

Man they should just make a spider women ongoing. Grab Silk and Spider Woman and throw them in gwens universe and have a grand ol time

The prominent female characters shouldn't be shuffled off into their own universe.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I mean yeah that can be bad, but when their three books did a crossover event it was great

Plus who else do you throw in there without it just turning into a grab all of spidey side characters

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Good that he's verbally on board

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    With how MCU movies like to do a twist i want the secret skrull reveal during a major battle and right as the skrulls are gaing the upper hand it camera shifts to all the heroes its been hinting at being skrulls when it shifts to a random background skrull.

Who pulls off his skrull mask and reveals himself as Captain America then they kick the skrulls ass.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I wasnt fully on board with DotIH until this issue but the combo of
    Black Bolt having his throat fucked up so he can't do the big booms anymore but is now basically Solid Snake in the Kree HQ whispering death phrases into people's ears and scrambling their brains, and Beta Ray Bill entering the picture pissed off they killed Lockjaw

I am into it now
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Black Bolt having his throat fucked up so he can't do the big booms anymore but is now basically Solid Snake in the Kree HQ whispering death phrases into people's ears and scrambling their brains, and Beta Ray Bill entering the picture pissed off they killed Lockjaw

I am into it now
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!
    To be fair

It is literally titled Death of the Inhumans

You get what's on the tin

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

I am into it now
    Noooooooooooooooooooo!
    To be fair

It is literally titled Death of the Inhumans

You get what's on the tin
    I’m still sad about it

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    If they're gonna go imposter thing do what they did in the Lucifer comic and have:
    the imposter kill the original, and end up cursed to live out their life exactly like the original would have, totally unable to ever reveal in anyway that they are a shapeshifting fake, just always screaming silently in their mind.

Narbus on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Feige's latest comments about Catain Marvel makes it sound like she is
    Spock and the Kree are Vulcans.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

What does this mean?

I don't know Star Trek

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »

What does this mean?

I don't know Star Trek

It means
    KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

• Options

What does this mean?

I don't know Star Trek
    Apparently he told Entertainment Weekly that Captain Marvel is half Kree and half human and the Kree side is her unemtional side and her emotional human side gets inconflict with that.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »

What does this mean?

I don't know Star Trek

It means
    Oh sweet, I love Benedict Cumberbatch!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

What does this mean?

I don't know Star Trek

It means
    Oh sweet, I love Benedict Cumberbatch!
    STRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGE!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

What does this mean?

I don't know Star Trek
    Apparently he told Entertainment Weekly that Captain Marvel is half Kree and half human and the Kree side is her unemtional side and her emotional human side gets inconflict with that.

Literally?
    as in, born a hybrid like Quill and lives off Earth? Cause that sounds like a fairly different origin for her!

Oh brilliant
  • Options

What does this mean?

I don't know Star Trek

Literally?
    as in, born a hybrid like Quill and lives off Earth? Cause that sounds like a fairly different origin for her!
    I don't actually know much about her origin in the comics and I don't think he revealed why she's half/half in the MCU.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I'm starting to cool on the idea of "all women" media. I think it's leading to a precedent where they're just shunting the responsibility of including women into niches instead of integrating them.

Like, instead of hiring more women generally to crew movies or represent in media, they do a handful of "oops, all women" productions and call it progress.

On the one hand, this is a pretty valid concern. On the other, I'm to the point where I don't give a shit about so many male characters. Just give me a Marvel movie where it's a bunch of women superheroes doing shit, with cameos from Thor, Black Panther and Cap who are just there to look hot for a couple of minutes, and, I dunno, maybe Spider-man can be there as like the kid on the team. I think that's all the male character I really need to see from

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

What does this mean?

I don't know Star Trek

Literally?
    I don't actually know much about her origin in the comics and I don't think he revealed why she's half/half in the MCU.

Comic Cap Marvel origins and recent events
    she was a regular human who hung out with a Kree dude, they were caught in a magic science explosion that grafted alien DNA onto her, made her super.

The whole Vulcan mentality thing is all new for the MCU, far as I know! But a few years back she had a storyline where her brain was damaged by excessive use of her powers and she lost all her memories, made her weird for a while. Maybe that's what they're going for?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Apparently Iron Fist season 2 is out now. I don't actually see this fact advertised on Netflix and only saw a random tweet about it.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    never enough Spiders-Man

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09/07/superior-spider-man-marvel-christos-gage-mike-hawthorne/
    The new series sees Octavius leaving behind the Doctor Octopus name once more to prove that he is the greatest superhero in the Marvel Universe. Of course, Octavius’ definition of what a good superhero should be is a bit different than most others.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1
    CHRISTOS GAGE (W) • MIKE HAWTHORNE (A)
    COVER BY TRAVIS CHAREST

Otto Octavius leaves the moniker of Doctor Octopus behind and once again becomes THE SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN! If you think you’ve already read the most intense and surprisingly heartbreaking Superior Spider-Man story, prepare to be wrong. Otto is going to prove to the world that he’s the most effective and (to him at least) the best super hero in the world. But when a villain that overpowers him by so much shows up in San Francisco, there’s no way Ock can win, right? Can you see Otto smirking from where you’re reading this?

• Options
    Giving Otto an ongoing again before Miles gets another one is fuckin' dumb

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also and I know this is a futile complaint when it's Marvel, but Superior Spider-man had such a nice end and I really really really wish they'd just let it be the end.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Also and I know this is a futile complaint when it's Marvel, but Superior Spider-man had such a nice end and I really really really wish they'd just let it be the end.
    To be fair, Slott is the one who ended up bringing him back again

But yeah I agree

If you're gonna bring him back, make him Ock again, but let Superior Spider-Man rest

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

But yeah I agree

If you're gonna bring him back, make him Ock again, but let Superior Spider-Man rest

At least having him go back to being Doc Ock and trying to figure out what his identity even is after that experience would be an interesting way to go with the character and one that builds on Superior Spider-man without cheapening it

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

But yeah I agree

At least having him go back to being Doc Ock and trying to figure out what his identity even is after that experience would be an interesting way to go with the character and one that builds on Superior Spider-man without cheapening it
    It seemed like that was what they were doing, because they announced THE SUPERIOR OCTOPUS from that same creative team

But it turned out to be a one-shot and then two months later whoops Superior Spidey again

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    never enough Spiders-Man

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/09/07/superior-spider-man-marvel-christos-gage-mike-hawthorne/
    The new series sees Octavius leaving behind the Doctor Octopus name once more to prove that he is the greatest superhero in the Marvel Universe. Of course, Octavius’ definition of what a good superhero should be is a bit different than most others.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1
    CHRISTOS GAGE (W) • MIKE HAWTHORNE (A)
    COVER BY TRAVIS CHAREST

Otto Octavius leaves the moniker of Doctor Octopus behind and once again becomes THE SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN! If you think you’ve already read the most intense and surprisingly heartbreaking Superior Spider-Man story, prepare to be wrong. Otto is going to prove to the world that he’s the most effective and (to him at least) the best super hero in the world. But when a villain that overpowers him by so much shows up in San Francisco, there’s no way Ock can win, right? Can you see Otto smirking from where you’re reading this?

I do like that they're not resetting Doc's character growth completely to zero (though he did lose some for plot reasons) but I can't help wondering how long this will last before Peter or someone else makes their way to San Francisco over taking up the Spider-Man name.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    plus, just aesthetic wise, doc ock in an alfred-molina esque costume running around and fighting crime is a hell of a pitch.

just a big ass trench coat and tentacles

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Didn't Otto just get a series? Or am I making that up?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Didn't Otto just get a series? Or am I making that up?

A 'series' called Superior Octopus.

• Options
    So uh

Iron Fist Season 2 apparently does some fuckin SURPRISING STUFF in the finale which I am incredibly interested in
    Danny loses the Iron Fist earlier in the season to Davos

And instead of demanding it back

He convinces Colleen Wing that she should be the new Iron Fist and the season ends with her having the power (which glowed white with her using it) and being the Iron Fist of NYC

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So uh

Iron Fist Season 2 apparently does some fuckin SURPRISING STUFF in the finale which I am incredibly interested in

He convinces Colleen Wing that she should be the new Iron Fist and the season ends with her having the power (which glowed white with her using it) and being the Iron Fist of NYC
    that is one way to write yourself out of the finn jones corner

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    So uh

He is still around, apparently, but his leg is fucked up from Davos and he just realizes he is not the right choice for Iron Fist given his anger issues and injury and general problems

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So uh

He is still around, apparently, but his leg is fucked up from Davos and he just realizes he is not the right choice for Iron Fist given his anger issues and injury and general problems

fuck

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So uh

Taking the one part of the show that worked and making her the focus is certainly a way to get me to keep watching

I was not intending to watch this season at all, but I might watch the finale before season 3 (assuming we get a for real "Colleen as the lead" season, or better yet, from here on out)

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So uh

Taking the one part of the show that worked and making her the focus is certainly a way to get me to keep watching

I was not intending to watch this season at all, but I might watch the finale before season 3 (assuming we get a for real "Colleen as the lead" season, or better yet, from here on out)
    I do worry that this will lead to Colleen sacrificing herself or dying in battle in a bad attempt to show Danny how he should use his power.

I can't imagine they would be THAT tonedef but....

This discussion has been closed.