Options

[Marvel]Thread:From Miniscule Arthropods, Murderous Tex-Mex lovers, and Marvelous Captains

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    But what if

two Rhodeys

Get double the Don Cheadle for your buck. Except the cool Rhodes we know and love is the evil one, and real Rhodes is the kinda sullen jerk from IM2 so you actually end up rooting for Skrull Rhodey.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    make bucky a skrull and keep kicking him getting an actual personality in the present day down the road

(this is kind of a burn but mostly he's spent the majority of the time in the present brainwashed to some degree)
    I would say it's about 50/50 at this point

All of TWS

That one section of Civil War

Vs.

The rest of Civil War and Infinity War

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    make bucky a skrull and keep kicking him getting an actual personality in the present day down the road

(this is kind of a burn but mostly he's spent the majority of the time in the present brainwashed to some degree)
    I would say it's about 50/50 at this point

All of TWS

That one section of Civil War

Vs.

The rest of Civil War and Infinity War

I think that in Civil War, when he's not being brainwashed he's...not really doing much to distinguish himself as a character from everyone else, and a huge chunk of his screen time in Infinity War is him being one not particularly important part of a huge action scene

I'm willing to be sold on Bucky but it absolutely feels like they keep punting on letting him be an actual character rather than a plot device

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    But what if

two Rhodeys

Get double the Don Cheadle for your buck. Except the cool Rhodes we know and love is the evil one, and real Rhodes is the kinda sullen jerk from IM2 so you actually end up rooting for Skrull Rhodey.

Terrance Howard comes back as Skrull Rhody.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    That story feels pretty one sided, I bet Abel was really irritating or something
    According to Lucifer (the TV show), he was!

Basically the worst kind of dude, and Cain was the lucky one that killed first instead of being killed.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Avengers 4 should have characters we thought were gone show up. Not just ones that were lost in Avengers 4, but ones that died in earlier films.
    Start off the movie with a real curveball for anyone who doesn’t know about Skrulls and just have Nick Fury be there right from the start. None of the heroes saw him get dusted so nobody in-movie thinks anything is odd, aside from an awkward moment with Captain Marvel when he seems to not remember paying her.

Things don’t start to get really weird until Quicksilver shows up to help in a major action scene, but the heroes have more pressing concerns than trying to figure out what’s going on and he’s helping fight Thanos so the “why are you alive” conversation can wait.

Fast forward to the end of the movie, and Wanda is the one to seize control of the Soul Stone and restore everyone to life - not just the ones that were dusted, but those that died in the fight against Thanos and his forces... and one other. Presented with the power to bring back her brother and unaware that he was seemingly already back, she resurrects Pietro without any hesitation.

The stinger is when the questions start, as the heroes regroup and realize there’s more of hem than there should be, and Captain Marvel has a pretty good idea as to why.

“The Avengers will return in Secret Invasion: 2 Fast 2 Furies”

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I really really REALLY hope they don't pull a "he was a skrull all along!" with any characters

it's always lazy and stupid. If Cap or whoever was always a skrull, why did he save the team so many times instead of letting them die or surprise killing them earlier?

it's just bad.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also making one of the most prominent black heroes in the MCU into an alien shapeshifter is

Not great

I'd be good with it if the real Rhodey was kidnapped only recently and then he busts out on his own to take down his imposter, cobbling some alien version of the War Machine armor together to blow a massive hole through the Skrull forces keeping him locked up first. Bonus points if it's the MCU version of the Warwear.

NDDaWju.jpg

Then he loses access to it afterwards because part of it goes missing or inert.
    Namely the black undersuit though it soon turns up/comes alive when Peter Parker comes into contact with it. Enter MCU Venom,

Owenashi on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Im sure its been done this way other places, but in a recent arc of the power rangers comics one of the kids is replaced by an impostor, but the reader knows from the very beginning and it swaps between the imposter trying to fool the team and the original trying to escape

thats a good way to do it that doesnt make it feel like a character has been sacrificed just for shock value

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Pre-Iron Man Coulson will be a Skrull in Captain Marvel. Maybe with a rescue of actual Coulson in the movie.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Im sure its been done this way other places, but in a recent arc of the power rangers comics one of the kids is replaced by an impostor, but the reader knows from the very beginning and it swaps between the imposter trying to fool the team and the original trying to escape

thats a good way to do it that doesnt make it feel like a character has been sacrificed just for shock value

That's great. I feel like dramatic irony has been totally sacrificed in the name of reveals.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    the nazis were led by Red Skrull

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »

That's great. I feel like dramatic irony has been totally sacrificed in the name of reveals.

It's even used as a way to actually learn more about the character as the imposter goes through their stuff and tries to peice their personality together

It felt like such a stronger way to do it and I didn't miss the reveal at all?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    skrull storylines are bad

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

Nah, the skrull storyline in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was great.

Again, because they revealed the skrull infiltrator early, and used that to build tension.

You can do good skrull stories!

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i want a story where it's an impostor, we know it's an impostor, and they are in way too deep and desperately trying to escape

and every time they go home, the original, whom they captured, shit talks them for being so bad at this.

i am sure this has happened before, but this may be the only time i will say i think a long version of this idea would be dope.

i also want a story about a doppelganger who becomes despondent after killing and replacing someone, after realizing that person's life suuuuucks

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    i want a story where it's an impostor, we know it's an impostor, and they are in way too deep and desperately trying to escape

and every time they go home, the original, whom they captured, shit talks them for being so bad at this.

i am sure this has happened before, but this may be the only time i will say i think a long version of this idea would be dope.

i also want a story about a doppelganger who becomes despondent after killing and replacing someone, after realizing that person's life suuuuucks

My favorite version of this is "Im being sent in to kill this group. Oh wait, they're great, I love being part of this." But then instead of coming clean, power of friendship etc, they kill the original so they can permanently replace them

So they're a "good guy" and actually want to be with the group, but did some completely fucked up shit to get there

• Options

I will have to consult with skrull cow burger story before I can agree.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    big armand tamzarifan huh zack

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

I don't

I don't think principal skinner murdered the original principal skinner

• Options
    Doctor Who had a Zygon become besties with the person she was mimicking and initially trying to kill.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    they also had a pet loch ness monster and that was pretty dope

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Doctor Who had a Zygon become besties with the person she was mimicking and initially trying to kill.

I loved the follow up to this episode
    where one of the twins had been murdered, the Doctor works with the survivor to keep the peace between the two races and spends much of the story interrogating her to figure out if she's human or Zygon.

And he's not playing around! He lies so hard about how it might be important to know, and she gives away nothing. Osgood da bes. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    There was also that Doctor Who where the dopplegangers and the people they mimicked had to team up to fight capitalism. That was pretty neat too.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Captain Marvel: Infernal Skrullfairs

• Options

I don't

stop bringing reality into my very good wordplay

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

I don't

stop bringing reality into my very good wordplay

it was very good

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I think the Skrull design looks too much like the Dark Elves design and that is bad.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I really liked the Hank Pym Skrulls constantly having breakdowns and either losing it or thinking they are the real Hank Pym due to Pym's unique combination of neuroses ego and sense of heroism

They went through like a dozen of them!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i love them pym skrulls so much

i loved that era of hank pym a lot, though

bring back the scientist supreme

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    though i think the best bit of that era, still in mighty avengers, is quicksilver blaming all the shitty things he'd been doing to the inhumans on a skrull, since secret invasion had just happened.

it is my favorite pietro moment.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    though i think the best bit of that era, still in mighty avengers, is quicksilver blaming all the shitty things he'd been doing to the inhumans on a skrull, since secret invasion had just happened.

it is my favorite pietro moment.
    And absolutely no one actually believed him but they couldn't actually prove him wrong

Dan Slott fuckin' brought it on that book

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

it's not exactly the same as your second wish, but Hank Pym's skrull in secret invasion essentially has that arc in spirit.

edit oh i'm extremely beaten

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    There was also that Doctor Who where the dopplegangers and the people they mimicked had to team up to fight capitalism. That was pretty neat too.

is that the one where the crew make doppleganger bodies of themselves every day because their job is so dangerous, and then those bodies die every day but on one day they revolt?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Man, "Death of the Inhumans" is bleak.

It's very good, it's just also bleak as hell. Also, I'm not entirely sure where it's set in the Marvel chronology.

I have never given a shit about the Inhumans, but Donny Cates is making me want to read the book about them.
    Likewise I have never given a shit about Venom, but Cates is making me want to read the book about him.
    Likewise likewise I have never given a shit about the Hulk, but Ewing is making me want to read the book about him.

(I originally wrote "making me care about Venom/Hulk", but that's strictly speaking not true; I still don't really care about the characters, but I'm really liking in the way Cates is tying Venom into the Marvel mythology, and the way Ewing is using Hulk as a horror-story monster slash karmic retribution given physical form.)

• Options
    I wasnt fully on board with DotIH until this issue but the combo of
    Black Bolt having his throat fucked up so he can't do the big booms anymore but is now basically Solid Snake in the Kree HQ whispering death phrases into people's ears and scrambling their brains, and Beta Ray Bill entering the picture pissed off they killed Lockjaw

I am into it now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I fuckin' loved Season 3 of Fringe

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    God im still angry about that Sp//dr issue

Maybe 50% of that is the name VEN#m

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »

is that the one where the crew make doppleganger bodies of themselves every day because their job is so dangerous, and then those bodies die every day but on one day they revolt?

Yup! The Rebel Flesh and the Almost People.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I

Don't see how that is any better or worse than sp//dr

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.