As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Be careful what paints you're using when brush-licking as some of those are... very bad for you.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Silver Knights done, pretty much.
    424zHw5.jpg

The first one I did I did drybrushing on but I barely noticed any effect and the other five look fine without it so i'll probably just pass on that. If I didn't know which was the first practice one i'd probably not be able to tell the difference between them.
    It's the front middle one.

Since they are board game pieces I should probably get some kind of varnish or sealer just to make them handleable. It went pretty well, didn't take very long once I had the system down and did them all in batches. It helped it was only two colors I was working with but I had fun doing it.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Yeah, definitely seal them.

Might benefit from a bit of a wash first?

• Options
    Like, soap and water wash or watered down dark paint wash? I already did the latter, it's just directly under a lamp on the table so everything dark is brightened up.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Like, soap and water wash or watered down dark paint wash? I already did the latter, it's just directly under a lamp on the table so everything dark is brightened up.

The dark paint one - the lighting, I guess, makes it look like it hadn't been done yet. :)

It's weird - the shields and the maille, at least, should have looked really good with some drybrushing. Maybe the main color is just too bright?

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Are those Gwyn’s Knights?
    I’m tempted to get this Dark Souls game just to get at those miniatures

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Be careful what paints you're using when brush-licking as some of those are... very bad for you.

My mother being an art teacher did not encourage this and made sure we did not do this showing other tricks do to get a brush look

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    But Cadmium Red is just so damn tasty!

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    All the lighting in my house is incredibly shitty so without that desk lamp and just the overheads it instead looks a lot darker, but here's another picture.
    uVD4UgW.jpg

I might give drybrushing a try. I'm just worried about fiddling with them too much when i'm already happy with the current result.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Purple
    Any suggestions on how to achieve an alien planet style of bases for Tyranids?

I've got some Vallejo white pumice (and a darker lava one as well)... do they take washes well or will it just look like orange/green/blue snow?

I plan on grabbing some of that alien looking gamer grass, and maybe some little transparent colored stones to look like crystals, but I'm not sure what to do about the rest of the basing material.

Nevermind... I think I figured it out.

Going to use the volcanic/lava Vallejo basing material I have along with some ground amethyst chunks I just found on ebay to go for a volcanic waste type of base.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    You can get a jar of Vallejo water texture and glop the stuff on bases when they’re finished. Dries hard in any shape, and you can wash them after for slime, ichor, whatevs.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Purple
    Have you tried using water texture with that nurgle texture paint, or are washes better?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Washes work better with the clear nature of the water effects, stuff like Tamiya Clear paints are great with it. The Nurgle slime isn’t really translucent, it dries pretty solid. So if you wanted to use the water effects as a base texture you’d apply it after assembly and just prime the whole thing and paint as normal.

• Options
    Purple
    I've been dreading basing this army as I hadn't been able to figure out what I wanted to do.

Now that I've got an idea I'm pretty excited and I'll definitely be ordering some of that water effect to play with.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    It looks pretty good over other basing too, like resin scenic bases or whatever. This is effects + clear green over some sand and misc skulls.
    vGE5zI6.jpg

Badablack on
  • Options
    Purple
    Vallejo still water, or water texture foam effect?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Either water texture or water effects. I think they’re actually the same thing, but water effects just to be safe. Probably not the foam one, they make another that’s transparent.

Badablack on
  • Options
    Purple
    The feeling of waiting for payday to roll around so you can order more art supplies :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    The feeling of waiting for payday to roll around so you can order more art supplies :lol:

Same, been waiting for today to buy color shifting paints from green stuff world.

Checking out was kind of a pain, had to go through some verification system called arcot to finalize the payment.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Aistan wrote: »
    All the lighting in my house is incredibly shitty so without that desk lamp and just the overheads it instead looks a lot darker, but here's another picture.
    uVD4UgW.jpg

I might give drybrushing a try. I'm just worried about fiddling with them too much when i'm already happy with the current result.

Here's a thing I've learned in my painting over the last couple years:

If you're happy with it, stop. It's all too easy to fall down a rabbit hole of doing too much to your models, and then getting unhappy with the result, and then getting discouraged and quitting altogether.
    You're painting for you, and presumably not a Golden Demon award or something. So when you like the look of a thing, just be done with it.

I'll also say, having gone back and looked at some pics of Silver Knights, they're pretty monochromatic to begin with. I think you did a good job with them!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Yeah i'm trying to replicate the look from the game. I could have made their capes blue or done a different shade of silver for their weapon and shield from the armor, but that would have made it more complicated and I picked them because they would be easy.

It only gets more complicated from here, since the hollow soldiers have actual leather/chain/zombie skin and then there's the player models and then all the bosses.

Guess i'll spray on the varnish then think about the colors for the next set.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    I have very little experience working around white as a main colour rather than "that thing you put in eyes" or "that sweet decal line colour", so anyone with more experience please chime in here.
    I want to actually paint things again, and I've amassed a sizable chunk of Dropfleet Commander stuff that I want to enjoy working through. Reference ...
    o4kpbzsm165k.jpg
    489dap89m2g1.jpg

I'm going to do some tests with approximately this blue/white combination, but I've never really "worked up" white before and don't know if I want to be starting with a particular sort of grey (assume I'm airbrushing layers) or mostly working around the main white I want to use or some other surprise base. I also planned to do some small red detailing like is visible on that source image, which makes me feel like my process is going to be: prime white, paint red, mask off red, base black, zenith white, paint white (??), mask white, paint blue, hand-paint greys. Path to success or disappointment?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That look could be done mainly with oil washes over white base colour, I think.

• Options
    I dunno if you meant just white or the weathering too, but it would probably require a differing type of weathering for dropfleet, considering that’s a much smaller scale than those gundams or even 40k. You’re not gonna have big visible dings and scratches so much as a general dinginess to the paintjob.

Oil washes are still good for that though.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    No, the reference really was to just show that it wasn't a perfect white and leaned cooler. Looking for good colors for a nice gradient that's a bit more dynamic than "flat colour plus wash"

• Options
    So I got a bunch of heresy era marines over the summer
    But looking at the painting guides on Warhammer Tv I noticed there was nothing about the imperial fists so the news they are pushing forward with the Horus Heresy story into the actual siege and the Imperial Fists were a large part of the defenders I do hope they show it then.

So yeah cutting up the head to get the tyrant look I am kind of copying I feel I should dig out the head again and see what it looks like with the jaw since I feel I messed up with this one

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    No, the reference really was to just show that it wasn't a perfect white and leaned cooler. Looking for good colors for a nice gradient that's a bit more dynamic than "flat colour plus wash"
    Right, painting white 101: don’t use white. In the citadel range the recommended steps are Celestra Grey, Ulthuan Grey, White Scar. Of course you can blend between those for smoother transitions as you please. You can also add watered down¹ blue shade to cool it a bit but that will take some experimentation to get right.

¹ Actually this is one of those times where medium is definitely better than water so use that if you have it.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    For painting "white" Doctor Faust has some good tutorials.

Warm/reddish
    Cool/blueish

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Right, painting white 101: don’t use white. In the citadel range the recommended steps are Celestra Grey, Ulthuan Grey, White Scar. Of course you can blend between those for smoother transitions as you please. You can also add watered down¹ blue shade to cool it a bit but that will take some experimentation to get right.

¹ Actually this is one of those times where medium is definitely better than water so use that if you have it.

Aka
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRR7W5-F15c
    With a explanation by the robot of why not just white

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I picked up my light box today! It's not quite right yet, but for $11 I can make some modifications. The current LEDs are top mounted without any diffusing, so I can fix that without too much issue, and I'm going to get a small diffused LED light aim upwards to help get rid of shadow. Also a non-reflective backing. Still though, pretty happy with it besides the fact it shows me all my mistakes that I can't see just holding it.

m3kk1b3mf1ck.jpg
    jj4e7epfajbo.jpg
    fkff1q3ikl7u.jpg
    ivx80va5ct2h.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I have very little experience working around white as a main colour rather than "that thing you put in eyes" or "that sweet decal line colour", so anyone with more experience please chime in here.
    I want to actually paint things again, and I've amassed a sizable chunk of Dropfleet Commander stuff that I want to enjoy working through. Reference ...
    o4kpbzsm165k.jpg
    489dap89m2g1.jpg

I'm going to do some tests with approximately this blue/white combination, but I've never really "worked up" white before and don't know if I want to be starting with a particular sort of grey (assume I'm airbrushing layers) or mostly working around the main white I want to use or some other surprise base. I also planned to do some small red detailing like is visible on that source image, which makes me feel like my process is going to be: prime white, paint red, mask off red, base black, zenith white, paint white (??), mask white, paint blue, hand-paint greys. Path to success or disappointment?
    Badablack wrote: »
    I dunno if you meant just white or the weathering too, but it would probably require a differing type of weathering for dropfleet, considering that’s a much smaller scale than those gundams or even 40k. You’re not gonna have big visible dings and scratches so much as a general dinginess to the paintjob.

Oil washes are still good for that though.

Sir! That's a Super Valkyrie from Macross/Robotech and I'll thank you to remember it. It's like calling the Millennium Falcon the Enterprise. :P

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I hate painting in batches and am also an idiot

fgehowecxkre.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My D&D group is going to be starting up Storm King's Thunder in a few weeks so I'm going to paint up some Giants for my DM. Should be a fun exercise. I have an awesome hill giant to start off with, from Reaper.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    It is I the bigger idiot
    My dusty ass keyboard and the crap I put together this week
    6c279iawxmoy.jpg

It's just a few degrees too hot to primer :( and I don't want to do it at night because my neighbors

• Options
    Jesus Christ I can feel my allergies acting up just looking at that thing.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Good god man how does your keyboard still work?!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Jeebus man, do your prime ON your keyboard? :biggrin:

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Very realistic weathering on that keyboard. MIG pigments for a desert themed table?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    It is I the bigger idiot
    My dusty ass keyboard and the crap I put together this week
    6c279iawxmoy.jpg

It's just a few degrees too hot to primer :( and I don't want to do it at night because my neighbors

Papa Nurgle would be proud.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    @Brainleech are you... Do you want to talk maybe? We're here for ya, man.

This discussion has been closed.