As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] 2 More Legolas's Pineapples

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    The more I learn about the Jewish religion and morality and the afterlife the more I'm convinced they have way better ideas on how to live life.

Also their weddings are fucking dope.
    True that, Jewish weddings are A+ It's like tradition dictates everyone takes a shot to start the event. What? ok let's get weird.

Other than my own wedding, there are 2 weddings that I've been to that I consider the best I've ever attended. 1 was my brothers wedding at a bowling alley, the other was a Jewish wedding I accidentally attended while I was at an Art gallery and the really drunk father of the bride mistook me for someone else.

zepherin on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm also a fan of jewish theology + philosophy (and theodicies) and food and also the women

There's absolutely no way you can portmanteau 'weeaboo' and 'jew' without sounding unbelievably offensive but yeah

I feel like weeabrew is solid

do you or have you ever collected ww2 memorabilia 'purely out of historical interest'

are you extremely interested in the history of the tank

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    There's a interesting symbolic power to the idea of bureaucracy in some societies. Part of the king and his government being invested by god, i guess. Also ok too hard to phone post this one nvm.

Interesting though.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    For all the Jewish lawyer jokes there is a part of Judaism that purposely avoids solid answers and encourages argument and discussion

The Talmud is pretty much just a collection religious chat threads from thousands of years ago

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    The more I learn about the Jewish religion and morality and the afterlife the more I'm convinced they have way better ideas on how to live life.

True that, Jewish weddings are A+ It's like tradition dictates everyone takes a shot to start the event
    Other than my own wedding, there are 2 weddings that I've been to that I consider the best I've ever attended. 1 was my brothers wedding at a bowling alley, the other was a Jewish wedding I accidentally attended while I was at an Art gallery and the really drunk father of the bride mistook me for someone else.

The Catholic ceremonies are fucking terrible.

Everyone picks the long one too.

Oh my god, it is the worst.

Gotta find a nice Jewish girl to settle down with I think.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm also a fan of jewish theology + philosophy (and theodicies) and food and also the women

There's absolutely no way you can portmanteau 'weeaboo' and 'jew' without sounding unbelievably offensive but yeah

I feel like weeabrew is solid

do you or have you ever collected ww2 memorabilia 'purely out of historical interest'

are you extremely interested in the history of the tank

those armbands are valuable collectors items that are important to preserve, lest we forget the past

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    glory of the aryan nation

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Uh. Dk?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    For all the Jewish lawyer jokes there is a part of Judaism that purposely avoids solid answers and encourages argument and discussion

The Talmud is pretty much just a collection religious chat threads from thousands of years ago

I had a long talk with SKFM about this many moons ago - and yeah, the "stereotype" is born out of an honest thing where arguing your case, playing devils advocate and pushing right up against the boundaries of rules while still staying to the letter of the law fosters minds that are well suited for the trade. And it is not a bad thing at all except for the fact that endemic and omnipresent racism has made it so.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

True that, Jewish weddings are A+ It's like tradition dictates everyone takes a shot to start the event

Even Half mast is rough.

Full mast it's like you hate everyone don't you? Even the Priest doesn't want to do a full mast.

When are you having your wedding in this church with insufficient AC? Oh you always dreamed of being a June bride, fantastic. My wife (GF at the time) was handing me a full flask before we started for us to make it through to the reception.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I have to to work but also it is v nice under the blankets here and I am reluctant to move.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    We are no longer going to use the kilogram as the true unit of measurement for kg any more. Come the 16th, we will rely on pure math instead of the physical object.

Fun sidenote: USA sort of uses the metric system whether it wants to or not, it just slaps imperial units on top of metric definitions.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i don't agree with their stances, but you gotta hand it to the nazis, those uniforms were fashionable

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the nazi party. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    moderate judaism has some solid theology

more hardline believers have some weird, troubling pillars of belief, as always

but the metaphysics, afaik, aren't plagued by the same problems as the other abrahamic faiths

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »
    We are no longer going to use the kilogram as the true unit of measurement for kg any more. Come the 16th, we will rely on pure math instead of the physical object.

Fun sidenote: USA sort of uses the metric system whether it wants to or not, it just slaps imperial units on top of metric definitions.

But with this change, that will no longer be true!

There will not be an international standard derived from a physical object - they will be relegated to the history books and museums.

This means that the constants of nature will define weight, and therefore all units of measurement derive from that, not a "kilogram"

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

There will not be an international standard derived from a physical object - they will be relegated to the history books and museums.

This means that the constants of nature will define weight, and therefore all units of measurement derive from that, not a "kilogram"

um.... not quite? The artifact is gone but the kilogram's measure is still what you derive a pound from.

• Options

There was a push to use Metric in the 60s and 70s (I'll have to double check that timeframe, I'm going off memory) and no one really wanted to commit full steam because everything was so entrenched.

You can see the remnants of it. Soda is in liters. School science courses are taught in metric (the ones in non garbage areas anyways). Medicine, races, some roadways, food labels all usually contain a lot of metric components.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Even Half mast is rough.

Full mast it's like you hate everyone don't you? Even the Priest doesn't want to do a full mast.

When are you having your wedding in this church with insufficient AC? Oh you always dreamed of being a June bride, fantastic. My wife (GF at the time) was handing me a full flask before we started for us to make it through to the reception.

The only Catholic wedding I attended had the groomsmen as me (a nihilist), a Jewish guy, a Greek Orthodox guy, and two also-Catholic cops.

The groom gave us loaded flasks before we got in the limo to go to the church, and I don't think it was accidental. We got to watch him death-stare the priest for a lot of the ceremony.

• Options

But until an inch is redefined, an inch is still 25.4 millimeters etc.

• Options
    I'll take a baptist wedding over a catholic wedding any day.

They are more to the point of let's get these unwilling teenagers married so we can get drunk at the reception. Everyone's getting pregnant tonight.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    more hardline believers have some weird, troubling pillars of belief, as always

disgusting to read this in 2018

• Options
    Also as a person who used to play the trumpet fairly well, and was also super Catholic, I participated in Catholic weddings of all manner of mass length (not mast).

They are beautiful ceremonies with tons of history that run waaaaaaay too long.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

There was a push to use Metric in the 60s and 70s (I'll have to double check that timeframe, I'm going off memory) and no one really wanted to commit full steam because everything was so entrenched.

You can see the remnants of it. Soda is in liters. School science courses are taught in metric (the ones in non garbage areas anyways). Medicine, races, some roadways, food labels all usually contain a lot of metric components.

I mean..... can you even do science with inches and stones?

• Options
    Also as a person who used to play the trumpet fairly well, and was also super Catholic, I participated in Catholic weddings of all manner of mass length (not mast).

I'm on a nautical kick. I'm leaving the typos in.

Fite me.

• Options

actually, if you're pirate-catholic like i was raised, it is half-mast mass.

• Options
    A half mast wedding sounds only slightly arousing?

Pass.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    @21stCentury just made me chortle.

10 points for Gryffindor.

• Options

I've seen some of the chemistry stuff in imperial.

It... it is... well.

I mean you can but it's a lot of shitty math.

• Options
    A half mast wedding sounds only slightly arousing?

Pass.

get off the stage

• Options
    21stCentury just made me chortle.

Why does everyone assume i'm Gryffindor!

i'm totes Slytherin!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Hugo Boss is always a good choice.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yup. Since like 1948 the inch is, by definition, 25.400 millimeters. If a millimeter somehow changed size so would the inch.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    21stCentury just made me chortle.

Why does everyone assume i'm Gryffindor!

i'm totes Slytherin!

Where did pottermore sort you 21st, this is important.

• Options
    When the Us goes facist and tries to take over the world will we hire the Gap to make our uniforms?

• Options

Yup. Since like 1948 the inch is, by definition, 25.400 millimeters. If a millimeter somehow changed size so would the inch.

You could base imperial on physical constants as well... but metric is right there already having done it for you.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Toilet fixed. He was on time, fast, left zero mess, didn't try to chat for too long, when he did it was a brief one about my guitars and his Clash cover band. 5 stars.

• Options

I've seen some of the chemistry stuff in imperial.

It... it is... well.

I mean you can but it's a lot of shitty math.

Yes, try to measure how many drachms of a basic salt you need to put in that many fluid scruples of acid...

that sounds like heck to me.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    When the Us goes facist and tries to take over the world will we hire the Gap to make our uniforms?

Big and Tall.

• Options
    Toilet fixed. He was on time, fast, left zero mess

Good of him to test-drive the toilet for you.

This discussion has been closed.