As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breathtaking [jobs]

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Talking to people while they're doing their private toilet business is a crime, sir

It should be punishable by death only because a worse punishment has not been invented yet

I regret nothing.

I’d do it to all of you!

Without incentive or even thinking twice about it!

Congratulations, you're my toilet now

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Talking to people while they're doing their private toilet business is a crime, sir

It should be punishable by death only because a worse punishment has not been invented yet

I regret nothing.

I’d do it to all of you!

Without incentive or even thinking twice about it!

Congratulations, you're my toilet now

I consider it my solemn doodie.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    My work has started using MS Teams for some stuff, and something about the way it displays text in the conversations on the website gives it the appearance of a scanned page instead of actual clickable text. It's very disconcerting.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Convincing workers that it's a priviledge and good thing when a company holds after work hour events for "fun" is one of the cruelest tricks that capitalism played.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Convincing workers that it's a priviledge and good thing when a company holds after work hour events for "fun" is one of the cruelest tricks that capitalism played.

Im happy that my work doesn't really do after hours shit, we all have shit to get back to. It is wonderful.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    My work has started using MS Teams for some stuff, and something about the way it displays text in the conversations on the website gives it the appearance of a scanned page instead of actual clickable text. It's very disconcerting.

Try the Dark theme. Click your icon -> settings.

Also if you need to paste in pre-formatted text (console messages, etc), start your message with ```

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    lmao thought i like lost my laptop on my commute or something like it fell out of my bag but i just forgot to bring it home from work

brief moment of panic

poo
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Im happy that my work doesn't really do after hours shit, we all have shit to get back to. It is wonderful.

My work does them occasionally, but we're also a huge company so not attending them never has any social/work repercussions.

I def known people at smaller places were they felt obligated to put in face time at those, and I feel so bad for them.

• Options

My work does them occasionally, but we're also a huge company so not attending them never has any social/work repercussions.

I def known people at smaller places were they felt obligated to put in face time at those, and I feel so bad for them.

On the other hand Dream works in an industry where you're not just expected to do after work events, you also need to do trips and stuff to go learn stuff from people at other companies, and to foster relationships with architects and equipment companies to get jobs and improve collaborative effort... also so you can expense or be gifted golf outings and ridiculous bar tabs.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Why do I need a stupid job to make money?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Booking train tickets for a trip to London. I can get two singles for £32 (combined), or a return for £61.

What are you doing trains?? That makes no sense.

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »

Capitalism

• Options

Capitalism

Sounds like bullshit to me.

• Options
    Booking train tickets for a trip to London. I can get two singles for £32 (combined), or a return for £61.

What are you doing trains?? That makes no sense.

You have to choo-choo-choose.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Bahahaha, in retrospect, it may not have been the smartest idea to get the person whose English wasn't their first language to get cream for coffee, because we ended up with Baileys instead

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a win-win-win in my book.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    even as a (non-american) english speaker, Bailey's is the first thing I think of if someone says "coffee cream"

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Gotta drink it from a shoe

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Don't worry, I have a cunning plan.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Don't worry, I have a cunning plan.

https://youtu.be/AsXKS8Nyu8Q

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Once, one of my circ clerks brought an apple cake with bourbon sauce to a library potluck. The sauce was basically bourbon, brown sugar, and butter, and there was a large cup of it so you could drizzle it over your slice of cake. I don't know if the recipe was meant to cook the alcohol out, but in this case it absolutely did not.

Most of the sauce was left over after the cake was gone, so we put it in the staff room fridge and just added some to our coffee for the next week.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Biking to work has halted my pooping at work completely, only because I need to poop at the slightest anticipation of exercise. I get it all out before the day begins.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I am not sure what jobs you people have where drinking on said job is okay.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I work software QA I can basically do my job shatter faced. There's literally a beer tap in the kitchen of our we work space. Were I not allergic to beer I'd be drinking right now.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    When I worked at best buy they had guidelines in the handbook about drinking 1 beet on your lunch break. (we never actually got to take lunch breaks, even on 10+ hour shifts because fuck laws right?)

• Options
    At the time? Branch manager of a small library.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

the trick is to do it when no one's looking

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    One of my clients had a rule where you cannot drink at all. If you had a beer at lunch you were not allowed back at work and had the rest of the day off as PTO or whatever. Our team went to the bar next door, with the manager and lead and all that, and the manager was throwing the stink eye at everyone when we were ordering our drinks. I almost did order a beer because I didn't know about the rule, but didn't because no one else was.

We used to have Beer Thirty on Fridays, but I don't really think we do that any more. And our salespeople and managers would have their windows lined up with various bottles of almost-turpentine that they had drank.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It's not uncommon at our office for teams to have a glas of wine, sparkling wine or a maybe a shot after finishing a project phase. The competition department might have a few beers when they're making a lot of overtime before a deadline. Big competition wins and special occasions might see the bosses hand out a glass of sparkling wine to everybody.

• Options
    The drug and alcohol policy at my library is very carefully worded to forbid coming to work under the influence to the extent that it interferes with your job duties (unless you drive a library vehicle, in which case you're subject to randomized drug tests and any sign of intoxication at work is grounds for immediate termination.)

My regional director is taking the managers from my region out to lunch next week in lieu of our usual quarterly meeting, and I fully anticipate most of us having a beer with our lunch.

One of my library aides spent five years convinced that nobody noticed that she came to work stoned every day. When in fact her direct supervisor and I had discussed it and decided that it wasn't hurting her performance. If anything, she'd generally spend the first couple of hours straightening shelves with an intensity that I wish I could instill in my current crop of aides.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

When I used to work for a tour operator, the head of the company would send someone to a nearby store to buy a few bottles of wine and some cheese and snacks for the office for Friday afternoon any time we'd had a good week or if morale seemed low. Everyone there either did tour planning and sales, or administration, so it really didn't matter at all unless someone got so drunk that they said something offensive to a client on the phone (and that never actually happened).

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The drug and alcohol policy at my library is very carefully worded to forbid coming to work under the influence to the extent that it interferes with your job duties (unless you drive a library vehicle, in which case you're subject to randomized drug tests and any sign of intoxication at work is grounds for immediate termination.)

My regional director is taking the managers from my region out to lunch next week in lieu of our usual quarterly meeting, and I fully anticipate most of us having a beer with our lunch.

One of my library aides spent five years convinced that nobody noticed that she came to work stoned every day. When in fact her direct supervisor and I had discussed it and decided that it wasn't hurting her performance. If anything, she'd generally spend the first couple of hours straightening shelves with an intensity that I wish I could instill in my current crop of aides.

I love that last bit.

My previous finish man (the guy who prepares parts for finish and sprays/applies it) came to work baked so thoroughly everyone just called him Loaf (not even close to his given name), a nickname he adored and took great pride in. I'd catch him taking naps every now and then, or clocking in and almost instantly falling asleep at his workbench. He had my old chair at his bench, since it was desk height instead of standing height. I'd just give it a tap as I walked past, and he'd pop awake and set to work. Most time's you'd find him part in hand, sandpaper halfway through a motion, conked out.

But this wasn't really a problem. It amounted to about a half an hour on the worst days. When Loaf was on his feet in the spray booth, he produced nothing but glass. No matter how strange the part or how many weird edges and holes it had, by the next day you'd have something with a perfect coat of varnish or clearcoat on it. I think his fail/redo rate was something like 3%, which is amazing for finish.

He also never made any noise about his relatively low pay (he couldn't get raises because he never took on more responsibility and... Well, he took naps).

As a stoner I find it morally impossible to get stoned and go to work, some people make it work, though. It does limit your upwards mobility. People know.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Where I work it would be a very poor idea to drink alcohol. Not that it keeps some from trying I'm sure.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Where I work it would be a very poor idea to drink alcohol. Not that it keeps some from trying I'm sure.

People do all the time. Before it was locked up and kept in the hallway to dairy you would find bottles of rum or the top shelf liquors people sampled. To prove it I once marked a bottle of VSOP with a marker where the liquid was. come back the next day and it's lower. The manager was blaming I and another for drinking it since we had access and not the day people.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I can tell you from experience that finding a talented paint and finish guy who isn't a total burnout, unreliable mess, or violent asshole is one of the most herculean tasks imaginable. If the only issue someone had was being a little stoned and taking a catnap occasionally, that's still a solid net win right there.

You keep that friendly, competent stoner and you treasure him.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    When I worked for Volvo one of the other mechanics was a stoner, dude did his time in the Navy and came out qualified, then got himself a job fixing trucks. He never came to work stoned, or even drank many beers at year-end work barbecues or down the pub after work on a lazy Saturday afternoon. He'd punch a couple of cones every night when he got home from work though, and go into his shed and get to work on restoring his Torana. Dude is an excellent Dad, his missus loves him to death, and he's a great mechanic.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    When I worked shitty retail jobs the only thing that ever stopped me from showing up stoned was not being able to afford pot on my shitty retail wage.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I could go and have a beer at lunch if it were possible to go and get lunch at the office without owning a car

there's literally no food or drink within walking distance

fucking Redmond

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, no one gives a shit at my work if you’re high, as long as you do your duties.

And also unsurprisingly, most of the employees at my work are high at work

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Tomorrow night is the department Christmas party so obviously I get to have a few drinks with coworkers (usually two tickets plus whatever you can swindle out of team leaders or folks that can't drink for various reasons). I have to be good though, I have another party immediately afterwards. I am not a big social person so I'm thinking that 5 hours surrounded by holiday spirit might be the death of me.

Never showed up stoned though - but that's because I've never actually partaken in that particular substance. I think once it's fully legal here (meaning sold at retail) I'll probably give it a shot once just to say I did though.

This discussion has been closed.