As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breathtaking [jobs]

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey I watched that video today! Good job to you and your team!

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Hey, NYC voted to establish a minimum hourly wage for ride service (Uber, Lyft, etc.) drivers (~$17.50 net/hr), in addition to capping the total number of drivers on the road (to ensure that drivers actually have enough business to make a living).

Now everywhere else needs to get on board.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    normally I wouldn't ask, but as I would actually like to buy from y'all, would you mind saying who you work for?

no pressure, obviously

No worries, I work for MAINGEAR. It's not something I have to avoid talking about online for job reasons, I just usually don't talk about it in specifics because I hate to feel like a shill.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Hah! I shudder to think about what YouTube choices you've made that threw up that video. Thanks.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

Hah! I shudder to think about what YouTube choices you've made that threw up that video. Thanks.

Well then I was talking to Minor Incident but yikes to your story

• Options
    edited December 2018
    That's better for everyone involved!

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't tell if this email is a recruitment email or an attempt to start a collaboration. But it's funky stuff so I'm cool either way.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Today a gigantic YouTube channel posted a secret shopping video of various companies in my industry they shopped and went over their experiences buying from all of us.

Let me tell you, I was sweating bullets as I watched this, as my official title is something to the effect of "Sales Director & Support Manager", so the results of this video that will end up getting millions of views will fall entirely in my yard. All I was told as they posted the video was that we were one of the companies they shopped and we're in the video. They're also notoriously cynical hardasses with zero patience for incorrect information and bullshit.

Standing there next to the CEO watching this 25 minute video, waiting for our segment to come up was a form of stress I've never experienced.

Welcome to the party, amigo. Most of us drink whiskey, and if you're in the LA area or a PAX then the first round is on me.

And congrats on your dude killing it!

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So there's been a festering anal fissure calling himself a "first amendment auditor" who has been visiting the libraries in my system. Judging from his Youtube channel, his hobbies are taking guns where they're not allowed and posting outraged videos when he's kicked out of those places and going into "government buildings" with a GoPro strapped to his chest and posting outraged videos when he's kicked out of these places for filming people because these buildings have policies about filming people without prior consent. It's some profoundly stupid sovereign citizen creamy bullshit, and somehow he's targeted public libraries as one of the government buildings that is infringing his first amendment rights.

He recently got kicked out of our central library for filming children in the children's area because of course he did, and he's posted five 20-50 minute videos about how he was assaulted by the jackbooted thugs that are our security guards. There are some videos of some extremely reasonable librarians explaining to him why he can't do the stupid shit he's doing, and the comments from other sovereign citizens are just the most hateful, sexist things you can imagine.

Fuck this guy, in hell, forever. What a goddamn waste of carbon.

Sovcits are a special kind of awful person. They're so obsessed with their own rights that none of them seem to realize that others also have rights.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    There was joy today as I refuted my fiercest critic in management with our CIOs own words when they tried to critique my entire domain (analytics and measurement).
    On the positive side, interview tomorrow for a really cool gig!

• Options
    So there's been a festering anal fissure calling himself a "first amendment auditor" who has been visiting the libraries in my system. Judging from his Youtube channel, his hobbies are taking guns where they're not allowed and posting outraged videos when he's kicked out of those places and going into "government buildings" with a GoPro strapped to his chest and posting outraged videos when he's kicked out of these places for filming people because these buildings have policies about filming people without prior consent. It's some profoundly stupid sovereign citizen creamy bullshit, and somehow he's targeted public libraries as one of the government buildings that is infringing his first amendment rights.

He recently got kicked out of our central library for filming children in the children's area because of course he did, and he's posted five 20-50 minute videos about how he was assaulted by the jackbooted thugs that are our security guards. There are some videos of some extremely reasonable librarians explaining to him why he can't do the stupid shit he's doing, and the comments from other sovereign citizens are just the most hateful, sexist things you can imagine.

Oh, and his reaction to all of this was to get his too-numerous Youtube followers to flood the library with phone calls griping about him getting kicked out. Since we have a central department with four phones routing all our calls to the various branches, this essentially shut down our phone system for the past two weeks.

Fuck this guy in hell, and this is very important, forever.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Oh, and his reaction to all of this was to get his too-numerous Youtube followers to flood the library with phone calls griping about him getting kicked out. Since we have a central department with four phones routing all our calls to the various branches, this essentially shut down our phone system for the past two weeks.

Fuck this guy in hell, and this is very important, forever.

Um, excuse me, what do you think gives Satan the right to his SOVEREIGN SOUL? He does not recognize Satan's domain of hell and possession of his eternal soul! Nowhere in the constitution does it say Satan may own souls!

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    3clipse wrote: »

Sovcits are a special kind of awful person. They're so obsessed with their own rights that none of them seem to realize that others also have rights.

Here's a fun fact. More police officers have been killed by sovereign citizens and militia members than any other organized group. Luckily the feds are spending their time focusing on radical islam.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Here's a fun fact. More police officers have been killed by sovereign citizens and militia members than any other organized group. Luckily the feds are spending their time focusing on radical islam.

Feds spend a ridiculous shitload of soul-sucking time dealing with sovereign citizens.

It just doesn’t make the news.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Job Thread. Some of you know I work for a custom PC manufacturer. Today a gigantic YouTube channel posted a secret shopping video of various companies in my industry they shopped and went over their experiences buying from all of us.

Let me tell you, I was sweating bullets as I watched this, as my official title is something to the effect of "Sales Director & Support Manager", so the results of this video that will end up getting millions of views will fall entirely in my yard. All I was told as they posted the video was that we were one of the companies they shopped and we're in the video. They're also notoriously cynical hardasses with zero patience for incorrect information and bullshit.

Standing there next to the CEO watching this 25 minute video, waiting for our segment to come up was a form of stress I've never experienced.

We ended up being the last company featured after every other one featured in the video crashed and burned pretty badly, and when I heard which of our people answered their call my heart sank a little. He's a great dude, but he's relatively new, and a little shaky on the phone with customers. He's good and he's smart, but out of all my people, he's the person I've spent the least time coaching and the one I'd be most nervous about taking a BIG DEAL sales call.

He fucking killed it. Absolutely nailed everything I would want him to on the call, recommended exactly the right product, and the guys in the video were floored and said we "ran away with it" in terms of the sales experience.

I am so fucking proud of my dude I'm bringing him a cake in the morning. I'm immensely proud of my team and the work they do, and it's kind of amazing to see them get recognized as being the best.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate in your office culture, but I've rewarded stellar work with treats and beer. The six-pack of good beer sitting on the guys workbench with "Excellent job on <blah>" seemed way more appreciated than a personally tailored dozen doughnuts.

I think it's because the six-pack goes in the car and isn't shared.

That said, the fact that new doesn't mean inept makes you look pretty damn good. I hope your CEO noticed how sharp you hire and how quickly you train.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Feds spend a ridiculous shitload of soul-sucking time dealing with sovereign citizens.

Resources meant to track them were diverted to focus on "foreign threats," and the last time the FBI tried to do a comprehensive study of white hate groups in the country, the research was kneecapped and the findings buried.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Woke up to see message from boss explainging free pass on work tonight, with multiple routes uncovered.

Basically full ass one area and half ass another with other people half assing it at the same time.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I feel somewhat bad.

So, I got hired for a new job recently and I feel like I have been kicking all sorts of butt. Like a fish into water. People call in and I get to remotely pilot their computers to answer their tech problems about a specific piece of hardware? Why yes I am a former teacher, barista, and total tech nerd that has spent tons of time building my own PCs, tinkering with dumb janky programs, dabbling in coding. And I run a dual monitor set up at home and am way too used to juggling multiple voice and chat lines from being an industrialist in EVE (never say you can't learn skills from videogames kids!)

But, I also got hired at the same time as another new guy. And he is great, sweet kid, but he is not tech savvy. We were doing back and forth fake practice calls today and like, I'm creating custom iPad forms for a fake customer and he's getting hung up on how to connect his machine remotely to someone else. And with time I honestly think this guy could be really good, but I can tell he keeps comparing what he is doing to what I am doing and is getting frustrated with himself, apologizing a bunch to the people teaching us, etc etc.

I hope he picks it up quick, like I said, he's a real nice guy.

But I guess better this than the inverse.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Today, shortly after noon, I caught two guys trying to cram a backpack full of tallboy cans of limerita. I paged our security code, our former night crew lead who works days and has seen some grocery shit was the first to show, as he was right around the corner stocking eggs. Our armed security was there next, followed by the basically the 1st officer of corporate management.

The two guys tried to bait everyone into a fight in aisle, but we got them to leave the store.

So they went outside, walked around the corner, and decked some random dude walking down the street so hard in the face that ended up in the hospital.

SPD came and got all of our footage and security bodycam stuff, won't know until tomorrow if they picked the guys up or not.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    The US visa application websites have always been kind of buggy, but they now officially will not run at all on any browser that isn't Internet Explorer. (Which, additionally, is no longer available for macs)

I suspect this is mostly from cost cutting and incompetence, but I'm still going to blame Bill Gates.

edit: actually it's possible (though I cannot yet confirm) that the website is simply thoroughly broken.
    oh boy.

tynic on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Resources meant to track them were diverted to focus on "foreign threats," and the last time the FBI tried to do a comprehensive study of white hate groups in the country, the research was kneecapped and the findings buried.

Can you share a source? I'm not questioning your statement - I'm legit interested in reading more about it.

That said, it doesn't negate my previous statements. There are thousands of federal law enforcement agents that are not employed by the FBI, and for any law enforcement officer to draw the short straw and end up having to deal with a sovereign it can be a real nightmare. These people are the living embodiment of the worst internet trolls you've encountered. Pair that with the fact that they're more willing to shoot a cop than the vast majority of actual violent criminals. It's a really unpleasant combination.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    The US visa application websites have always been kind of buggy, but they now officially will not run at all on any browser that isn't Internet Explorer. (Which, additionally, is no longer available for macs)

I suspect this is mostly from cost cutting and incompetence, but I'm still going to blame Bill Gates.

edit: actually it's possible (though I cannot yet confirm) that the website is simply thoroughly broken.
    oh boy.

Actually I'm betting somewhere some GOP person cut funding for development on the site or specifically created policy that it only works in really shitty ways. Back in "the day" I had go a hidden VA office in the local federal building to fill out paperwork with a clerk to get posted an access code to create an online account for my VA benefits.

• Options
    My armchair diagnosis is massive JavaScript issues, so it's 50/50 whether it's incompetence vs malice. But for sure it's not likely to be a funding priority for this govt.

• Options
    Also this is now making me mad that my parent company, Kroger, doesn't have single sign on. I log into Citrix. Open a module, log into that, open a sub module, sign into that, now I can order pens.

• Options
    Also it's been 60/30 lately at work opening my email, if I actually get my inbox or the Outlook 2010 set-up wizard.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I have an interview this week. Meeting the recruiter first, then the HRBP and manager right after. According to someone who’s been a recruiter there it’s apparently pretty rare that they book both interviews right away. Normal procedure is that the recruiter filters people in first interview.

So either a very good sign that they like my profile, or they’re just running out of time on the process and like me enough to at least put me in it.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    I'm going to be a fire marshal.

Oh man. Ive always wanted to rock the yellow high-vis tabard and clipboard look. So jealous

I am legit excited about that bit.

What you really need is a stick-on moustache and a pair of aviators

https://youtu.be/gHGB1wODkIs?t=30

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Colleague: So what broke yesterday?

Me: A core part of the network.

Colleague: So what does a hard change freeze mean?

Me: Fuck your project plans, fuck your installs, fuck your customers. No provisioning until TCAB lift the freeze.

Colleague: So what do we do?

Me: Admin

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    We were 32 people in the kitchen today at our weekly all-hands Monday morning meeting. Yeah, moving to a bigger office this weekend.

And we'll probably be too big for those all-hands meetings soon.

My wife worked for a 9000-employee software company that still did an all-staff meeting once a month, attendance mandatory. It was just as stupid as you would imagine.

Did they rent stadiums?

They have a ridiculous auditorium on campus pretty much just for that. It's an odd place.

Man, I want to know how much time is spent just getting 9k people into/out of that place.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Pooping on company time can have some awkward side effects.

Like you might hear a coworker have a breakdown on the phone in another stall. I'm glad for both of us that they used their mothertongue, so I don't know what it was about.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Pooping on company time can have some awkward side effects.

Like you might hear a coworker have a breakdown on the phone in another stall. I'm glad for both of us that they used their mothertongue, so I don't know what it was about.

I find it awkward when coworkers say hi in the bathroom. Or the people that listen to music loudly on the phone while taking a dump.

But like I said earlier since last summer I have seen a great number of people on their phone taking a leak. THe true depraved thing one was doing a facetime conversation while doing that.
    There is a time and a place for that and it's not in there doing that

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I went to take a leak at the same time my boss did.

I usually stay silent or keep things at a minimum if spoken to, but that man wanted CONVERSATION. If that happens again I'm going to demand a raise.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    One time while I was getting paid to poo, a guy came into the bathroom at basically breakneck speed.

He made ton of noise, banging the door open and slamming it closed, and sounded an awful lot like he was in a race against time.

I couldn’t help myself and made comment to that effect.

This put him completely off, and his reaction was extremely over the top, which made the whole situation funnier to me. Which I also commented on.

He pleaded with me a handful of times to be silent, but I eventually wore him down and we ended up having a pleasant, relaxing conversation side by side, taking our respective dumps.

It’s one of the funniest situations I’ve ever been in, and I think about him from time to time, and how good of a sport he was for hanging in there.

sarukun on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    One time while I was getting paid to poo, a guy came into the bathroom at basically breakneck speed.

He made ton of noise, banging the door open and slamming it closed, and sounded an awful lot like he was in a race against time.

I couldn’t help myself and made comment to that effect.

This put him completely off, and his reaction was extremely over the top, which made the whole situation funnier to me. Which I also commented on.

He pleaded with me a handful of times to be silent, but I eventually wore him down and we ended up having a pleasant, relaxing conversation side by side, taking our respective dumps.

It’s one of the funniest situations I’ve ever been in, and I think about him from time to time, and how good of a sport he was for hanging in there.

You're a monster

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Gah. There's some sort of maintenance work going on in the building that seems to cause electrical interference, and it's making my headphones crackle like heck.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Talking to people while they're doing their private toilet business is a crime, sir

It should be punishable by death only because a worse punishment has not been invented yet

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Solar wrote: »
    Talking to people while they're doing their private toilet business is a crime, sir

It should be punishable by death only because a worse punishment has not been invented yet

I regret nothing.

I’d do it to all of you!

Without incentive or even thinking twice about it!

sarukun on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Sin boldly, @sarukun !

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I regret nothing.

I’d do it to all of you!

Depending on my mood I'd either kill the lights on the way out or straight up fling as much toilet paper into your stall as I could.

Interrupting someone when they are just trying to take a badly-needed shit is fucking barbaric.

Have some respect for your fellow man.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

I regret nothing.

I’d do it to all of you!

So, so brave. Can we get this man a round of applause?

This discussion has been closed.