Options

Legacy [Chat]ing

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Bacon-honey-peanutbutter sandwiches?

Mmm

Hm that seems weirdly good??

Fresh red bell pepper, leftover herb chicken breast, cheddar (on a sandwich)!

Pork belly, peanut butter, and banana is the Elvis classic.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The bugs have escaped! Colonists got caught in the tunnels and are down. They've worked there way through the livestock. Blackjack is leading the defense with the incendiary launcher and the militia has retreated through the pass to let the traps take care of the bugs. We're torching the crop fields behind us to try and slow them down. The damage is going to be bad. Parson's may be a lost cause, he's down and trapped in the bug tunnels...

... and it's started raining so the fire defense may be in vain!

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    New POE league drops today! :D

For everyone out of the loop: they stuck Mordor's nemesis system into it

yesssssss

Everybody was so excited about the nemesis system in Mordor and yet it seemed really half baked to me.

True facts

I really liked being able to see their ranks and who they were, and like some were the bosses of others and stuff like that. I liked the whole management aspect part of it.

It totally killed it for me that they resurrected randomly. The first time it happened I assumed the game had bugged out. No joy in killing the same guy three times, didn't even make sense in a fantasy setting that they would be resurrected and that's saying something.

Noooooo, it was great. They only ever died permanently if you cut their heads off. Otherwise they’d keep coming back with more and more damage showing on their bodies. One guy eventually showed up with a bag on their head after i killed him so many times. That’s what makes it awesome!

No it sucked Kamiro listen to me!!

And also, maybe that was patched in - because the first time it happened to me that a guy came back I had specifically decapitated him and watched his head roll down a hill.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    some guy with poor norwegian is calling me saying he has a package for me at Mongstad (refinery/offshore terminal)

trying to give him directions to the construction site I was at proved difficult

he offered to put it at "the main warehouse" at mongstad and I said please do not do that, because 1. I don't know if that is a thing 2. please do not make me go hunting for a small package in fucking Mongstad. Mongstad is gigantic. I also can't give him an address for the construction site, one because addresses are a bit eeeeh inside mongstad base anyway, and also because the address doesn't exist yet, being a construction site

ONDDlME.png

called both the dude who probably ordered it, and the other consultant (the very fit young lady one) and yes it is the hole saws, they must have not gotten the memo that the order was cancelled

so now I'm waiting for it to get back to their warehouse and for it to get from the warehouse to their store and for me to walk over there and get it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    @spool32 I'm feelin very proud

You can reinstall batteries now, so when a psychic ship landed I moved a battery and a couple turrets over

Those died but killed a pair of scythers, and then I kited around the mechapede with three shooters with bolt-action rifles

they all have muscle parasites but the 'pede is pretty slow and I managed to bait it into some marshland

Nobody died!

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    VH did you ever read The Martian? I'm not recommending you read it now, though it's a good book - now I'm recommending you read Artemis, Andy Weir's newer work. It takes place on the moon!

Artemis is good fun and, having read it with a 2-3 week old, I had forgotten entirely that I read it until just now

...what else of my life is missing

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I like that the scientists are basically powerless to affect the situation, they just know it can't be the best thing for the seal's health, and so are just asking them politely to stop doing it <3

• Options
    VH did you ever read The Martian? I'm not recommending you read it now, though it's a good book - now I'm recommending you read Artemis, Andy Weir's newer work. It takes place on the moon!

Artemis is good fun and, having read it with a 2-3 week old, I had forgotten entirely that I read it until just now

Did you just read a synopsis and realize "Wait, much of this sounds ... strangely familiar"? :P

• Options
    but I went to ahlsell and got our drills, put my shirt to the wash, got my hair cut, got a parking ticket, picked up more work clothes, put the shirt back in the wash to get the lint out, next on the docket is head back to ahsell for the hole saws, hang my shirt up to dry, buy groceries, put on suit, go to christmas party

I am greatly enjoying this day of many errands (and all of them within 4 minutes' walk from my apartment except for victoria, the shop for the work clothes, which is a drive, but which I did for free because it was the very pretty consultant who asked me to do it)

enjoying it enough that my parking ticket just made me laugh

fair cop anyway, all the one way streets around here meant I needed to make a really annoying round trip swinging by the main road and enjoy 200 metres of rush hour jam, and instead I just left it parked along the street pointing the right direction while getting my hair cut thinking I'd risk parking attendants not coming by just this residential area in this exact hour

but they did so now I have an early yellow christmas card from Bergen kommune

how nice of them

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I love the idea of She Hulk lawyering on behalf of superheroes, and her actual superpowered confrontations being a secondary consideration

She will defeat injustice through her super strength properly and timely filed motions under the rules of civil procedure

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    +spool32 I'm feelin very proud

You can reinstall batteries now, so when a psychic ship landed I moved a battery and a couple turrets over

Those died but killed a pair of scythers, and then I kited around the mechapede with three shooters with bolt-action rifles

they all have muscle parasites but the 'pede is pretty slow and I managed to bait it into some marshland

Nobody died!

I'm still trying to figure out how to best deal with these ships. Since I cannot build IEDs directly next to them anymore and then shoot at it from a distance, they're a lot more difficult.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    well my job disappears on monday

also i have a conference call on monday with my boss and my new boss

so

hopefully that's the hey here's a new job call and not the come into work on monday just so we can all get together on the phone to lay you off call

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    The bugs have escaped! Colonists got caught in the tunnels and are down. They've worked there way through the livestock. Blackjack is leading the defense with the incendiary launcher and the militia has retreated through the pass to let the traps take care of the bugs. We're torching the crop fields behind us to try and slow them down. The damage is going to be bad. Parson's may be a lost cause, he's down and trapped in the bug tunnels...

I read this as "it's started raining fire" at first

So at least things aren't THAT bad

Though it still sounds like things are pretty bad, ELM!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

so

hopefully that's the hey here's a new job call and not the come into work on monday just so we can all get together on the phone to lay you off call

:bro:

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

so

Yeah man, that's a bit of a nail biter. We're rooting for you!

• Options

Did you just read a synopsis and realize "Wait, much of this sounds ... strangely familiar"? :P

No, just hearing "Artemis" and I had perfect recall of it like I was a Soviet sleeper agent

• Options

so

If you don't get to stick around how will you continue with your office flirtations?

No, no, I'm afraid there's only one way Monday is allowed to play out.

Let me make a few calls.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Oh hey the BBC Radio have done a modern day retelling of The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward in ten episodes. I do believe I will give this a try.

The story where most of the prejudice is aimed at Hungarians.

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Boney M's Rasputin is a fantastic song.
    He ruled the Russian land and never mind the czar
    But the cassock he danced really wunderbar
    In all affairs of state he was the man to please
    But he was real great when he had a girl to squeeze
    For the queen he was no wheeler dealer
    Though she'd heard the things he'd done
    She believed he was a holy healer
    Who would heal her son

I mean come on those are A+ lyrics.

another german classic

Boney M, Dschinghis Khan, E and the mauser bolt action are the best things to come out of germany

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    vh, read some Jeeves and Wooster. They're as light as gossamer and very, very funny.
    Better yet, watch some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYf5YPNnfRY

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

so

If you don't get to stick around how will you continue with your office flirtations?

Let me make a few calls.

But narwhal, they’re long distance. Do you even have that in your cell phone plan?

I'm not going to use my own phone to make long distance calls, that's just irresponsible!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @spool32 I'm feelin very proud

Nobody died!

yes fantastic!

kiting a mechapede with bolt-action rifles must have taken forever... list time I had to fight four of them and I just gutted it out behind rows of sandbags, then got the bionic factory humming again...

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

so

Let me make a few calls.

clearly if i get laid off on monday i go in for the big dramatic romantic gesture and the kiss that gets me imprisoned as a sex offender

• Options

No, just hearing "Artemis" and I had perfect recall of it like I was a Soviet sleeper agent

Lots of it I liked, a few things I didn't like, but per usual Andy Weir is pretty good at largely sticking to realism while creating something fantastical, and I appreciate that

• Options
    i am 100% going to yell YOU KNOW I LIKE A GUY TO BUY ME DINNER BEFORE I GET FUCKED if i get laid off

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I read this as "it's started raining fire" at first

So at least things aren't THAT bad

Though it still sounds like things are pretty bad, ELM!

We've started an emergency triage hospital in the rec room. The fires have caught the carpet underground and temperatures are spiking. The tides are turning, but Parson's fortunately perished - we just couldn't reach him.

It looks like we're going to lose the entire domitory to a firestorm, but the danger is passed...

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

so

very cool of them to keep you in the dark about this until the last possible moment

• Options
    i am 100% going to yell YOU KNOW I LIKE A GUY TO BUY ME DINNER BEFORE I GET FUCKED if i get laid off

EXTREMELY INAPPROPRIATE AND GENERALLY NSFW SOUTH PARK SCENE IN SPOILER:

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Nobody died!

I'm still trying to figure out how to best deal with these ships. Since I cannot build IEDs directly next to them anymore and then shoot at it from a distance, they're a lot more difficult.

a half dozen mortars and a big half-circle of ranged combat soldiers with a few melee folks ready to absorb the scyther charge

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    SO Summary the real question is who gets those sytcher arms to become a murder machine

• Options
    shit chanus I'm sorry

• Options
    shit chanus I'm sorry

one outside possibility is i get this new position but i have to move to NJ

then who's gonna be sorry

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bethryn wrote: »
    vh, read some Jeeves and Wooster. They're as light as gossamer and very, very funny.
    Better yet, watch some.

The Fry & Laurie TV series is very good but the books are their own, and to my mind superior, delight.
    It was my Uncle George who discovered that alcohol was a food well in advance of modern medical thought.
    I turned to Aunt Agatha, whose demeanour was now rather like that of one who, picking daisies on the railway, has just caught the down express in the small of the back.
    I once got engaged to his daughter Honoria, a ghastly dynamic exhibit who read Nietzsche and had a laugh like waves breaking on a stern and rockbound coast.
    'Yes, sir,' said Jeeves in a low, cold voice, as if he had been bitten in the leg by a personal friend.
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.
    Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror.

• Options

Nobody died!

Set up a firing line at max range with some decent-ranged weapons (i.e. bolt, sniper, or assault rifles, LMG will work but kiting is a pain due to cooldowns. Charge rifle is too short.) Turrets help, mortars are too innacurate. Sangbags are good, but unless they've buffed them single-square walls are superior. Setting a fire near it and/or between your firing line as a screen would help the scyther charge, so long as you cut a firebreak so it doesn't blow back on you.

Scythers go down pretty easy, and then from there you can kite the centipede - i.e. hover over its cannon and make sure you're riflemen are out of range. If you've got EMP grenades you can more or less chain-stun anything robotic.

• Options
    shit chanus I'm sorry

one outside possibility is i get this new position but i have to move to NJ

then who's gonna be sorry

the state of NJ is sorry enough already

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Wait storm light archive isn't finished? Isn't a trilogy? Didn't I read those?

• Options
    My knowledge of Russian history comes from Boney M and Pig With the Face of a Boy, the guy who made this:

https://youtu.be/hWTFG3J1CP8
    I am the man who arranges the tanks
    that will make the nazis keep away
    the fuhrer is dead, and europe is red!

the fuhrer is dead, and europe is red! is my favourite line in this

anyway made me think of how churchill said we should have kept marching until we reached moscow

which I mean, yes, I do see your point, but I wonder how much of that was like argh, if only we could have, or if he genuinely thought let's go to war with the USSR now

because the latter would be... like, okay, you've just won the war and spirits are high

but the balance of forces in europe between the red army and everybody else put together is three to one

so maybe not

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.