Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    templewulf wrote: »
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    An old poverty game I still play occasionally called WeaponLord had my favorite fatality system. If you won the game with a combo ending in a specific special, you'd decapitate your opponent or disembowel them or things like that. But you could chain them together for custom fatalities. Like, you could disembowel your opponent, then behead them, then split their head in half as it falls. They were hard to do, customizable, only performable in a specific circumstance like brutalities, and didn't add much filler time to the end of the match. Personal expression + being difficult to set up makes them amazing. If you get fatalitied in WeaponLord, you feel it in your soul.

Weaponlord was great. It also had an interesting input system: instead of doing a quarter circle then pressing X, you held x, did a quarter circle, then released.

That was the Primal Rage method, right?

I loved Weapon Lord! It was the first game I ever played with a parry and probably led directly to my love affair with Soul Calibur.

I hold it up in my Pantheon of underrated fighters I love anyway, like Fighters Destiny, Mace, and Bleach DS

now I just wanna play primal rage with someone

my talon will fuck you up

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Knob are you playing anything recently

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    An old poverty game I still play occasionally called WeaponLord had my favorite fatality system. If you won the game with a combo ending in a specific special, you'd decapitate your opponent or disembowel them or things like that. But you could chain them together for custom fatalities. Like, you could disembowel your opponent, then behead them, then split their head in half as it falls. They were hard to do, customizable, only performable in a specific circumstance like brutalities, and didn't add much filler time to the end of the match. Personal expression + being difficult to set up makes them amazing. If you get fatalitied in WeaponLord, you feel it in your soul.

Weaponlord was great. It also had an interesting input system: instead of doing a quarter circle then pressing X, you held x, did a quarter circle, then released.

I loved Weapon Lord! It was the first game I ever played with a parry and probably led directly to my love affair with Soul Calibur.

I hold it up in my Pantheon of underrated fighters I love anyway, like Fighters Destiny, Mace, and Bleach DS

Man, Dinosaur Fighting Game was such a genius idea. So pure.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Knob are you playing anything recently

I think the only videogames I've touched in the last several months are RDR2, Tekken, vsav, and SamSho5S. I guess sometimes I play a little SC6 at the weekly but I don't actually own it.

• Options

Man, Dinosaur Fighting Game was such a genius idea. So pure.

come at me in jurassic park warpath

I know all the shitty dinosaur fighting games

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Do you know Dino Rex though

• Options
    I've played it briefly on the japan only taito memories II collection

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    MK11 may bring me back into the fighting fold.

I think the last time I participated in virtual fisticuffs was the Street Fighter 30th collection. It decided that I was never allowed to stay in a lobby so I took the hint.

But MK has so much content and such a good story mode that it will be hard to stay away.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    MKX still has the best fighting game story mode

Didn't like Injustice 2's nearly as much as the first game for whatever reason. Maybe because we only got the characters from the asshole universe. And their version of Damian was shit. And that thing where you always picked from 2 characters was kind of lame too.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHNS4sELA1o

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    MKX still has the best fighting game story mode

Didn't like Injustice 2's nearly as much as the first game for whatever reason. Maybe because we only got the characters from the asshole universe. And their version of Damian was shit. And that thing where you always picked from 2 characters was kind of lame too.

making it the universe where everything went to shit only really made it a lot more exhausting and less optimistic even thought it was all still very optimistic, mostly

i just really wasn't interested in watching superheroes be dicks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

Oh dangit I'll need to do a Ryu Costume.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    holy shit those are awesome

but I dont wanna do extra battle I just wanna buy em

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    The fights themselves ain't hard. It's just remembering to log in during each piece's time period.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    yeah im just lazy and dont wanna keep firing up sfv for the thing

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its stadium rock ryu

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Fun fact: WeaponLord was created by 2 guys who worked on Super Turbo. One of them was on the team who did the new Killer Instinct. They wanted to make a game just for hardcore fans of fighters. It was published by Namco. Shortly after release, Namco knifed the franchise and released Soul Edge. Rock has a costume in SCIII that is Bane's outfit from WeaponLord.

Dear Namco Bandai or whoever owns the rights, please do WeaponLord 2

I’m pretty sure both of them went on to work on KI, and some months ago I realized that one of them (James Goddard) was not just on the SF team, he was responsible for the SF character Dee Jay, and involved in Captain Commando, Saturday Night Slammasters, and the Alien Vs Predator arcade game. Essentially, a big chunk of my childhood game playing.

Edit: for the 20th anniversary they did an hour long video dissecting the game and talking about development and stuff.

I forgot WL even had an in-game tournament mode that would let you enter names and auto-keep track of a ladder for you.

https://youtu.be/Sq7hnTnpLjI

Perrsun on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Siegfried is so good

• Options
    Fun fact: WeaponLord was created by 2 guys who worked on Super Turbo. One of them was on the team who did the new Killer Instinct. They wanted to make a game just for hardcore fans of fighters. It was published by Namco. Shortly after release, Namco knifed the franchise and released Soul Edge. Rock has a costume in SCIII that is Bane's outfit from WeaponLord.

Dear Namco Bandai or whoever owns the rights, please do WeaponLord 2

I’m pretty sure both of them went on to work on KI, and some months ago I realized that one of them (James Goddard) was not just on the SF team, he was responsible for the SF character Dee Jay, and involved in Captain Commando, Saturday Night Slammasters, and the Alien Vs Predator arcade game. Essentially, a big chunk of my childhood game playing.

Edit: for the 20th anniversary they did an hour long video dissecting the game and talking about development and stuff.

I forgot WL even had an in-game tournament mode that would let you enter names and auto-keep track of a ladder for you.

https://youtu.be/Sq7hnTnpLjI

I've never seen this video, thank you very, very much for showing it to me.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm really excited about MK XI and I think I actually have an idea of how the Variants from MKX are going to play into this one

Trailer spoilers, in case you haven't watched it yet:
    In the trailer we see some pretty heavy indication of some Time Travel: Two versions of Scorpion, and also at the end a woman who looks like she's from Order Realm standing next to a giant Hourglass

Sooooo I think the 3 Variants from each character are actually going to be the character from 3 different time periods, which sounds REALLY fun and exciting

A reason for you to have Ninja, half Ninja, and Lizard Reptile, each playing differently!

hey @Zonugal I need someone to speculate with

In addition to the thing I posted here, I have been re-playing 9 and X and noticed something:
    in Jade's ending in MK9 there is a shimmering woman figure who says that Raiden's tampering of the timeline to cause the downfall of Shao Kahn will have dire consequences and must be reversed. The figure looks VAGUELY like the lady in the trailer but is definitely not 1:1

she then posesses jade and disappears

Jade was not in MK 10

I know a lot of those endings don't mean anything but that would be sort of a neat direction to take the XI

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'm really excited about MK XI and I think I actually have an idea of how the Variants from MKX are going to play into this one

In the trailer we see some pretty heavy indication of some Time Travel: Two versions of Scorpion, and also at the end a woman who looks like she's from Order Realm standing next to a giant Hourglass

Sooooo I think the 3 Variants from each character are actually going to be the character from 3 different time periods, which sounds REALLY fun and exciting

A reason for you to have Ninja, half Ninja, and Lizard Reptile, each playing differently!

In addition to the thing I posted here, I have been re-playing 9 and X and noticed something:
    in Jade's ending in MK9 there is a shimmering woman figure who says that Raiden's tampering of the timeline to cause the downfall of Shao Kahn will have dire consequences and must be reversed. The figure looks VAGUELY like the lady in the trailer but is definitely not 1:1

Jade was not in MK 10

I know a lot of those endings don't mean anything but that would be sort of a neat direction to take the XI

Ooooooooh, this all would be tremendous!

@Chincymcchilla, do you imagine we are drifting back into how Deadly Alliance played?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Jade was not in MK 10

@Chincymcchilla, do you imagine we are drifting back into how Deadly Alliance played?

No, I don't think we're going to go that far

Like for one I don't think its going to be a 3d fighter. That would require a whole engine rework and I don't think we're there yet

But they DID highlight weapons a lot in the trailer

I don't think they'll do full on stances, but one thing I was wondering if they could get away with is like, a modifier button? Like, if you hold r1 you pull out a weapon, essentially giving every button two moves? I don't know if that would work or not, but I don't think they'll go back to stances, people didn't seem to respond super positively to them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also, Chincymcchilla, you want to speculate about Mortal Kombat?

giphy.gif

Let's do it.

• Options
    Dream returning characters:

Fujin, Rain, Frost

Also, the Time Lady from the trailer sort of looks like she's from Order Realm, which is fine but I hope they re-do that aesthetic because I did NOT like how order realm characters used to look

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Can I get some fighting game design opinions?

What are the preferred terms for moves and movesets in fighting games? We usually say "moves", but that's ambiguous with "movement" in the general sense. Like in a turn-based game you have "Standard Action" and "Move Action".

Are there other standards I'm missing? Any better suggestions?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options

Jade was not in MK 10

No, I don't think we're going to go that far

Like for one I don't think its going to be a 3d fighter. That would require a whole engine rework and I don't think we're there yet

But they DID highlight weapons a lot in the trailer

I don't think they'll do full on stances, but one thing I was wondering if they could get away with is like, a modifier button? Like, if you hold r1 you pull out a weapon, essentially giving every button two moves? I don't know if that would work or not, but I don't think they'll go back to stances, people didn't seem to respond super positively to them

Oh yeah, I'd agree with a lot of this.

When I referenced Deadly Alliance it was regarding weapon-use.

Hmm...

• Options
    OH MAN, CHINCY.

What if this game is you having to chase Evil Raiden through time and stopping him from assassinating past figures?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Dang y'all

Playing ranked matches sucks sometimes. But then you get to a guy with a nazi reference in his username playing as ivy and get to kick his ass.

As siegfried btw

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    maybe they are an unfortunate soul born on a 14th in 1988 who never got the memo

(sc6 ranked sucks because i lose to people)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OH MAN, CHINCY.

What if this game is you having to chase Evil Raiden through time and stopping him from assassinating past figures?

You're DEFINITELY going to be time hopping

At the end of MK X, Raiden says he's going to "actively seek threats to earth realm and destroy them"

If he gets access to time travel I think you could absolutely see him travelling through time and trying to stop big events from happening

I wonder if we'll see him go to pre MK1 times?

• Options
    OH MAN, CHINCY.

You're DEFINITELY going to be time hopping

At the end of MK X, Raiden says he's going to "actively seek threats to earth realm and destroy them"

If he gets access to time travel I think you could absolutely see him travelling through time and trying to stop big events from happening

I wonder if we'll see him go to pre MK1 times?

I'm more interested in any antagonists from the future.

Who is left to challenge Raiden and Earthrealm?

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    maybe they are an unfortunate soul born on a 14th in 1988 who never got the memo

(sc6 ranked sucks because i lose to people)

I usually lose too, but some greater force guided my thumbs this day.

And I dunno. It was an misspelling of Naziboy then the 88... Not very subtle.

• Options
    CHINCYMCCHILLA, WAIT!

What if this game is you having to race Raiden in recruiting your own Mortal Kombat team to defend against his own team of Earth-realm warriors?

What if you recruit from throughout the entire MK time-line?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

What are the preferred terms for moves and movesets in fighting games? We usually say "moves", but that's ambiguous with "movement" in the general sense. Like in a turn-based game you have "Standard Action" and "Move Action".

I mean we usually say moves and movelist.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

Maybe I'm having a brain fart, but in thinking about regular conversation I swear I don't hear anyone say "moves". "Attacks" and "Specials" rings much clearer in my head. But maybe I'm fundamentally missing the thing you're actually referring to here?

• Options
    CHINCYMCCHILLA, WAIT!

What if this game is you having to race Raiden in recruiting your own Mortal Kombat team to defend against his own team of Earth-realm warriors?

I basically expect this

I want young Sonya to meet Cassie

Who is like mom what the hell are you wearing

• Options
    CHINCYMCCHILLA, WAIT!

I basically expect this

I want future Scorpion to have to talk to demon-skeleton Scorpion.

I want future Scorpion to be disappointed and try to talk him down.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    even bo3 (which isn't guaranteed) isn't enough to learn some basic matchup stuff and its frustrating losing to clearly dumb stuff but idk voldo is a jerk and there's a bunch of characters i need to grind against

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Voldo is the worst. I hate fighting voldo

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    CHINCYMCCHILLA, WAIT!

I basically expect this

I want future Scorpion to have to talk to demon-skeleton Scorpion.

I want future Scorpion to be disappointed and try to talk him down.

Future Scorpion and Future Sub-Zero try to talk down Past Sub-Zero and Past Scorpion by showing them what good friends they are

This discussion has been closed.