Options

[Hearthstone] Reveal stream live now! Expansion drops April 9th!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    Weren't people super mad about Destiny 2's cash shop?

Yep. That first year of D2 was pretty awful, but they've really righted the ship with Forsaken. There's quite a lot to do.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Roz wrote: »
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm also getting tired of the constant bashing for something like nerfing while that's so incredibly hard to get right in a constantly changing meta.

I'm not against nerfing, nor am I bashing Blizzard for trying to fix their game. Their first priority should always be to health of the game as a whole. However, I think it's a fair criticism as to whether or not their approach to nerfing is the proper one. Would nerfing King's bane have been a better alternative? I'm not sure, but certainly it would have been more generous to the people who spent dust to build that deck. They gutted the druid class completely, leaving Tagwaggle and Ultimate Infestation alone. The late game Druid decks would have still been harmed, but the players who spent dust to craft those decks wouldn't feel their investment ruined.

For me, there's a bigger concern about what the philosophy is around nerfs. Why should I spend thousands of dust to make a tier 1 deck if it could capriciously be nerfed on a whim? This was ameliorated in the past because the nerfs were usually obvious problems and Blizzard was fairly generous with the cards they refunded. Now, I have no idea.

Calling cards being nerfed on a whim is just not fair. Nerfs are done to handle problematic cards or decks. That distinction is what made them nerf cards and they explain the reasons why. Sometimes a card is powerful only in a certain kind of deck and fixing a key card pulls it back in line. I agree we don't know in what way they address the problem, and that it leads to (expensive) decks becoming useless, this is something that cannot be helped and inherent as is in card games.

Yes, a nerf to Kingsbane would have helped into making another deck, as you can dust him for a new legendary, but the deck contains a lot of (specific) epics as well and you can see they are trying a new approach with nerfing. In the old days, nerfing legendaries usually meant they became unplayable, and people getting them after the dust upgrade just got a useless legendary. As it is now with Kingsbane and Shudderwock there can still be useful in a (new to be discovered) deck, without being unfun to play against. Maybe this does not happen every time, but their reasoning with the lifegaining being the problem was exactly right.

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm also getting tired of the constant bashing for something like nerfing while that's so incredibly hard to get right in a constantly changing meta.

I'm not against nerfing, nor am I bashing Blizzard for trying to fix their game. Their first priority should always be to health of the game as a whole. However, I think it's a fair criticism as to whether or not their approach to nerfing is the proper one. Would nerfing King's bane have been a better alternative? I'm not sure, but certainly it would have been more generous to the people who spent dust to build that deck. They gutted the druid class completely, leaving Tagwaggle and Ultimate Infestation alone. The late game Druid decks would have still been harmed, but the players who spent dust to craft those decks wouldn't feel their investment ruined.

For me, there's a bigger concern about what the philosophy is around nerfs. Why should I spend thousands of dust to make a tier 1 deck if it could capriciously be nerfed on a whim? This was ameliorated in the past because the nerfs were usually obvious problems and Blizzard was fairly generous with the cards they refunded. Now, I have no idea.

honestly the idea that druid in particular was 'capriciously' nerfed is difficult to take seriously, especially since many of the ramp-oriented druid concepts still work just fine

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

honestly the idea that druid in particular was 'capriciously' nerfed is difficult to take seriously, especially since many of the ramp-oriented druid concepts still work just fine

Play rates and win percentages seem to put late game Druid decks in tier 4 at best in standard and completely extinct in wild. I'm open to data that suggests otherwise, but I would not call that fine.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    @Dibby, I could not possibly agree more with every SINGLE statement in your rotation comments from yesterday. Ridiculous how on-point you are on every point. And actually, your post is pumping me up for the rotation. I, too, am sad to see Tar Creeper rotate out, but losing all of the other auto-include and OP bullshit is going to be a good thing, and I think that these more recent sets will encourage more creative deck-building once they have room to breathe.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    So an interesting Hunter deck I saw while streaming Nicholena. It's basically a control Hunter deck. Control board as best you can, try to get Rexxar out, build zombos that have lifesteal, rush, or whatever you need at a given point, dire frenzy your big beasts if you can.

It's pretty fun, 5-0 so far though I am only rank 23.

### deathstar v3
    # Class: Hunter
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Candleshot
    # 2x (1) Dire Mole
    # 2x (1) Hunter's Mark
    # 2x (1) Springpaw
    # 2x (1) Timber Wolf
    # 2x (1) Tracking
    # 2x (2) Crackling Razormaw
    # 2x (3) Animal Companion
    # 2x (3) Kill Command
    # 2x (3) Master's Call
    # 2x (3) Unleash the Hounds
    # 2x (4) Dire Frenzy
    # 2x (4) Flanking Strike
    # 2x (4) Lifedrinker
    # 1x (5) Tundra Rhino
    # 1x (6) Deathstalker Rexxar
    #
    AAECAR8CuwWG0wIOjQGoArUD3gSXCNsJjsMC3dIC4eMCi+UC7/ECyfgCoIUDpIgDAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    @Dibby, I could not possibly agree more with every SINGLE statement in your rotation comments from yesterday. Ridiculous how on-point you are on every point. And actually, your post is pumping me up for the rotation. I, too, am sad to see Tar Creeper rotate out, but losing all of the other auto-include and OP bullshit is going to be a good thing, and I think that these more recent sets will encourage more creative deck-building once they have room to breathe.

I really hope this is true, but I am very worried that odd/even decks are going to make up the entirety of tier 1 and 2. Looking at the VS list the only non even/odd decks that will survive rotation somewhat are Secret Hunter and Resurrect Priest. The Cube decks are losing too much to be viable I think, and the others rely on death knight. I think the first expansion of the new year is either going to have to be really high powered to stop even/odd from taking over completely and that will come with it's own set of problems.

Edit: Also RIP to the Quest Mage who just had his Deck of Wonders cast Book of Spectres which in turn managed to discard both his Molten Reflections. Yog was not with him today.

Neaden on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    So an interesting Hunter deck I saw while streaming Nicholena. It's basically a control Hunter deck. Control board as best you can, try to get Rexxar out, build zombos that have lifesteal, rush, or whatever you need at a given point, dire frenzy your big beasts if you can.

It's pretty fun, 5-0 so far though I am only rank 23.

### deathstar v3
    # Class: Hunter
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Candleshot
    # 2x (1) Dire Mole
    # 2x (1) Hunter's Mark
    # 2x (1) Springpaw
    # 2x (1) Timber Wolf
    # 2x (1) Tracking
    # 2x (2) Crackling Razormaw
    # 2x (3) Animal Companion
    # 2x (3) Kill Command
    # 2x (3) Master's Call
    # 2x (3) Unleash the Hounds
    # 2x (4) Dire Frenzy
    # 2x (4) Flanking Strike
    # 2x (4) Lifedrinker
    # 1x (5) Tundra Rhino
    # 1x (6) Deathstalker Rexxar
    #
    AAECAR8CuwWG0wIOjQGoArUD3gSXCNsJjsMC3dIC4eMCi+UC7/ECyfgCoIUDpIgDAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
    That looks like midrange Hunter, which the latest VS report noted as being a Hunter deck that seems to be improving a lot in potential. It was the second most played Hunter archetype in that snapshot. They also listed it in their Meta Breaker section.

Token-Midrange-Hunter.png

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I'm sitting at 14-4 with it. 1 loss was to a friend quest, 1 to mechathun druid, elemental reveal spell mage (oh was that annoying), and 1 to secrets hunter who was just getting all the spells.

Depending on draws and how you manage your resources, it isn't too bad. Supposedly it is about 57% winrate with only hunter and warrior under 50% matchup.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Neaden wrote: »

I really hope this is true, but I am very worried that odd/even decks are going to make up the entirety of tier 1 and 2. Looking at the VS list the only non even/odd decks that will survive rotation somewhat are Secret Hunter and Resurrect Priest. The Cube decks are losing too much to be viable I think, and the others rely on death knight. I think the first expansion of the new year is either going to have to be really high powered to stop even/odd from taking over completely and that will come with it's own set of problems.

Edit: Also RIP to the Quest Mage who just had his Deck of Wonders cast Book of Spectres which in turn managed to discard both his Molten Reflections. Yog was not with him today.
    I'm not sure Secret Hunter will survive rotation without Spellstone and Rexxar. It's also losing powerful tools like Candleshot and Flanking Strike. It also loses some of its critical board presence traps like Wandering Monster and Venomstrike.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Losing dk rexxar it's losing any chance of winning a control matchup imo; think spell hunter is going to require another big tempo spell like call of the wild that you could potentially copy with zuljin

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »

I'm not sure Secret Hunter will survive rotation without Spellstone and Rexxar. It's also losing powerful tools like Candleshot and Flanking Strike. It also loses some of its critical board presence traps like Wandering Monster and Venomstrike.

Yeah, I think the secret part will be dropped for a more traditional aggressive build. It's quite possible that odd Hunter will end up as the most powerful Hunter deck though, which would just make the odd/even dominance even worse.

• Options
    Well, today was just horrible for Odd Rogue. Played it for a quest and then just got a slew of bad matchups and/or hopeless hands. Odd warrior, Spell Hunter (with unbeatable turn 5 4-wolf spellstone, turn 6 To My Side, turn 7 Rhok), Control Warlock. Odd Rogue doesn't feel very Tier 1 when all the matches are counters, or I get the vaunted double Vilespine + Baku opening hand.

Yet another season that has it out for me.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    When is VS updating their wild report? I'm enjoying wild right now and I'd like to see a snapshot of where things are.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    They only do Wild reports every 1-2 months, so we're at least 3 weeks away, probably 4-5.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Beat a Cube Hunter this morning with my tremendously shitty and stupid Thief Priest deck. That was a joy. I even had Dragon Soul running, and was cubing dragons and playing Play Dead on them. I also did the Hunter's Mark + Candleshot combo (had to break my Dragon Soul to do it, but was running out of spells to play anyway).

It was a pretty even game until I got the big Taunt dudes out for 0 mana each, and then the game was just over.

I like that deck a lot. It has a pretty abysmal winrate but I don't mind when I'm trying to just have some fun and finish a Priest quest.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Beat a Cube Hunter this morning with my tremendously shitty and stupid Thief Priest deck. That was a joy. I even had Dragon Soul running, and was cubing dragons and playing Play Dead on them. I also did the Hunter's Mark + Candleshot combo (had to break my Dragon Soul to do it, but was running out of spells to play anyway).

It was a pretty even game until I got the big Taunt dudes out for 0 mana each, and then the game was just over.

I like that deck a lot. It has a pretty abysmal winrate but I don't mind when I'm trying to just have some fun and finish a Priest quest.

Decklist? :D

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I'll try to remember to post it later.

It honestly is so bad it doesn't deserve to have a code.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I'll try to remember to post it later.

It honestly is so bad it doesn't deserve to have a code.

Sure, but Kleptopriest was the first "real" deck I ever made, so I'm nostalgic. :D

• Options
    ColdrazorColdrazor Registered User regular
    Got to rank 1 on eu sunday with odd pala without the 2 creepers(they rotate soon, not wasting dust), then fell down to rank 2 0 star. Been stuck there half the evening, so switched to control priest. 8-3 so far, seems really strong

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Coldrazor wrote: »
    Got to rank 1 on eu sunday with odd pala without the 2 creepers(they rotate soon, not wasting dust), then fell down to rank 2 0 star. Been stuck there half the evening, so switched to control priest. 8-3 so far, seems really strong

Decklists please!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Decklists please!

### Roaster Control Priest
    # Class: Priest
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
    # 2x (1) Power Word: Shield
    # 2x (2) Firetree Witchdoctor
    # 2x (2) Mind Blast
    # 2x (2) Shadow Visions
    # 2x (3) Acolyte of Pain
    # 2x (3) Twilight Acolyte
    # 2x (4) Duskbreaker
    # 2x (4) Scaleworm
    # 2x (4) Twilight Drake
    # 2x (6) Cabal Shadow Priest
    # 2x (6) Holy Fire
    # 2x (7) Crowd Roaster
    # 2x (7) Psychic Scream
    # 1x (8) Shadowreaper Anduin
    # 1x (9) Alexstrasza
    #
    AAECAa0GAsUEkNMCDpACoQTlBI0I1QryDPsM0cEC6NACy+YC/OoCifEC6IkD6JQDAA==
    #

Acolyes feel a bit wierd, but results so far are good
    Edit: acolytes of pain that is

Coldrazor on
  • Options
    That's similar to the deck I've been running, although -2 Acolyte of Pain, -1 Scaleworm, -1 Holy Fire, -1 Crowd Roaster, and +2 Tar Creeper, +1 Omega Medic, and +2 Primordial Drake.

Interesting changes to a familiar shell. I might cut the Primordial Drakes for another Roaster and Scaleform. Worried about having too few dragons though.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

### What's yours is mine.
    # Class: Priest
    # Year of the Raven
    #
    # 2x (1) Crystalline Oracle
    # 2x (1) Mind Vision
    # 2x (1) Psionic Probe
    # 2x (1) Spirit of the Dead
    # 2x (2) Cloning Device
    # 2x (2) Seance
    # 1x (3) Curious Glimmerroot
    # 1x (3) Dragon Soul
    # 2x (3) Thoughtsteal
    # 1x (3) Unidentified Elixir
    # 2x (4) Eternal Servitude
    # 2x (4) Mindgames
    # 1x (4) Shadow Madness
    # 2x (5) Former Champ
    # 2x (5) Holy Water
    # 1x (6) Cabal Shadow Priest
    # 1x (7) Bwonsamdi, the Dead
    # 2x (12) Grave Horror
    #
    AAECAa0GBtwBkALZwQLY4wK/5QKnhwMMHpEBywjVwQLlzAKb5wLm7AL3/ALmiAOwiQPrigOrjAMA
    #

• Options
    Lol, and then I immediately use it against a Hakkar Quest Priest. I don't think they liked that I was shuffling Amara a bunch of times into my deck for 1 mana.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Really enjoying OTK DK Pally at the moment. Built the deck for stall mostly, using 2 shrink rays and no Lynessa. I think I win more games to opponent mistakes compared to well played games on my side, but the deck feels really strong. A couple of faster Mechathun decks have come in and those are pretty much 100% loss. They are just faster.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Made my monthly goal of rank 5 wild on the back of a winstreak from rank 8 with even shaman with small techs for the meta: Golakka crawler for pirates (warrior and odd rogue) and one hex for big priest and other incidental things like lich kings, cheated out void lords, and flamewreathed faceless. Edit: Hex is also good against Barnes/Y’saarj hunter.

### legendshm
    # Class: Shaman
    # Format: Wild
    #
    # 1x (2) Crackle
    # 2x (2) Devolve
    # 2x (2) Flametongue Totem
    # 2x (2) Golakka Crawler
    # 2x (2) Jade Claws
    # 2x (2) Maelstrom Portal
    # 2x (2) Murkspark Eel
    # 2x (2) Totem Golem
    # 2x (2) Windfury
    # 2x (4) Draenei Totemcarver
    # 2x (4) Flamewreathed Faceless
    # 1x (4) Hex
    # 2x (4) Jade Lightning
    # 1x (6) Aya Blackpaw
    # 1x (6) Genn Greymane
    # 2x (6) Thing from Below
    # 2x (10) Sea Giant
    #
    AAEBAaoIBP4F1g+UvQLN9AINM9MB8AeyFLUU96oC+6oCoLYCh7wC0bwC9r0C5MIClO8CAA==
    #

Marty81 on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    You know what card I put into my Wild Even Shaman that seems to win me games? The silly Serpent Ward. That thing either gets off 2-4 shots before dying. I have two of them in there because I only have one Draenei Totemcarver and one Sea Giant.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    That's similar to the deck I've been running, although -2 Acolyte of Pain, -1 Scaleworm, -1 Holy Fire, -1 Crowd Roaster, and +2 Tar Creeper, +1 Omega Medic, and +2 Primordial Drake.

Interesting changes to a familiar shell. I might cut the Primordial Drakes for another Roaster and Scaleform. Worried about having too few dragons though.

Without the extra draw from the pains you might be hurting for dragons. The list I run feels almost midrange at times. Let us know how it works out.

• Options
    edited January 2019

Without the extra draw from the pains you might be hurting for dragons. The list I run feels almost midrange at times. Let us know how it works out.

I'm currently 7-3 (70% wr) with the deck in the new season and 9-4 (69% wr) last season. Draw doesn't feel like much of an issue since I'm Priest and naturally play slow. Plays better vs control since I won't hit fatigue as fast. I don't know, I'll see how it goes.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    vfgpvs7l1ss0.png

UGH! Fine game, I get it! I'll take my measly 50g. Grumble, grumble....

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    vfgpvs7l1ss0.png

UGH! Fine game, I get it! I'll take my measly 50g. Grumble, grumble....

What? Go get your 3 monster hunt bosses! That's dust. Dust is so valuable right now, with every deck being Leggo heavy.

• Options
    I'm needlessly stubborn about Classic packs vs gold.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Especially because classic packs are mathematically, provably better than anything short of 100g :D

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Especially because classic packs are mathematically, provably better than anything short of 100g :D

I need to see the math vs a new expansion pack.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Legendaries are a 1/20 drop chance and epics are 1/5 (source is Blizz given drop rates for Asian countries where they must disclose this data by law).
    We'll assume packs are either 1L/4C, 1E/4C, or 1R/4C for simplicity (primary error in this assumption will be in rare count vs common count which will introduce only minor error in dust counts).
    So 20 packs will contain an average of 1L, 4E, 15R, 80C.

So 20 packs will have a disenchant value of 400*1+100*4+20*15+5*80 = 1500 dust or 75 dust per pack.

If we make the assumption that any legendaries or epics that you pull are valuable and not worth disenchanting versus keeping, while all rare and commons will be disenchanted:
    Then your dust value would be 1600*1+400*4+20*15+5*80 = 3900 dust or 195 dust per pack.

If we instead make the assumption that only half the epics are worth keeping or only half the epics we open are ones we don't have yet, then we have:
    1600*1+400*2+100*2+20*15+5*80 = 3300 dust or 165 dust per pack.

If we instead make the assumption that all useful epics have been acquired and all legendaries have not, then we have:
    1600*1+100*4+20*15+5*80 = 2700 dust or 135 dust per pack.

So, if we care about every epic or legendary we open then a Classic pack is worth 75/195 of a new pack or ~38 gold.
    If we only care about half of the epics that we open then a Classic pack is worth 75/165 of a new pack or ~45 gold.
    If we don't care about any of the epics that we open then a Classic pack is worth 75/135 of a new pack or ~56 gold.

So 50g should be a better quest reward than a pack until you own all legendaries or a solid chunk of the epics (that you care about) from every set.

Yilias on
    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I saw a good game with Viper running an interesting Odd Warrior against a Mecha Druid. It boiled down to Druid having the cards in his hand for the combo but Viper dropping Leeroy and then shield slamming it. Druid had no way to kill off two minions and C'Thun so lost in fatigue.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Just came up against a Shudderwock Shaman in Standard.

Combined the following key battlecries to basically win the game
    - Stealth
    - 2 damage to the board
    - Restore 3 health to your hero, do 3 damage to enemy hero
    - Freeze an enemy

Now he has a stealthed Shudderwock waiting for the next turn when he played the guy that returns minions to your hand and makes them cost 1. And just repeat that combo forever.

If I had board clear big enough for that I guess I'd be fine, but I was playing Whizzbang's Attack Druid which had no way to deal with the turn Shudderwock came down.

Still felt bad, though.

Toast made this deck and posted a video on it. It didn't work great, but it still worked. Still there will probably be an uptick in it for the next day or so.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Betrayal of the highest order! I saw this deck a couple of days ago in a Kibler video. Once I recognized what it was, it was just a matter of figuring out what he had left in his hand and how to make it impossible for him to win. Although to be fair, he lost the game on turn 11 by holding on to that spellstone. I can't think of a reason to hold onto it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I Went Full Northshire And Lived To Tell The Tale

https://hsreplay.net/replay/iuFXtb7z2pCBmHs3dLoTSo