Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Here's a (somewhat) direct link to the spot on NGNG to grab the files:
    http://www.nogutsnogalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=4709.msg26810#msg26810

Downloading now. Will update with status once I've got it working.
    I never played those! Where do you get the base game nowadays and what eldtrich god must be beseached in a dead and forbidden language to get it to run on modern hardware?

Since the modder rebuilt the game from the released code (as I understand it), it should just run on modern systems. Will let you know.

Also, yes, MCG is totally worth playing. It's really good, and holds up. My only gripe is the key bindings come from an era prior to RTS standardization, so there's some funky button settings.
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Hoo boy, gonna have to get that. It's going to look so awful on my TV...

The modder included up-rezzed settings, if not sprite work as well. Again, will update in a few minutes.

It has been a few minutes. Where's my update????

Maybe it’s imitating the old installation experience and taking forever.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I got it working long enough to figure out that I need to go watch a tutorial and/or read the manual.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

I never played those! Where do you get the base game nowadays and what eldtrich god must be beseached in a dead and forbidden language to get it to run on modern hardware?

Since the modder rebuilt the game from the released code (as I understand it), it should just run on modern systems. Will let you know.

Also, yes, MCG is totally worth playing. It's really good, and holds up. My only gripe is the key bindings come from an era prior to RTS standardization, so there's some funky button settings.

The modder included up-rezzed settings, if not sprite work as well. Again, will update in a few minutes.

I have been waylaid by Baby Nips. Update in....whenever she settles down for a nap! Soon(tm).

I did manage to get it downloaded, and unpacked. You need a way to mount CD images, so I grabbed a util to do that. Now (because I'm on Win7, ofcourse), I'm running into some possible DirectPlay/system configuration issues.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Maaaaaaan my Battletech career was going well, but for the first time ever my game has started crashing. I've attempted the same mission twice and it crashed in the middle of the mission both times.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I have been waylaid by Baby Nips. Update in....whenever she settles down for a nap! Soon(tm).

I did manage to get it downloaded, and unpacked. You need a way to mount CD images, so I grabbed a util to do that. Now (because I'm on Win7, ofcourse), I'm running into some possible DirectPlay/system configuration issues.

Sure. Blame your inability to install on the baby. How big was the download?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Maaaaaaan my Battletech career was going well, but for the first time ever my game has started crashing. I've attempted the same mission twice and it crashed in the middle of the mission both times.

Try repairing your install. I've had a random 100 KB file get corrupted because reasons and a repair fixed it. First game in a loooong time I've had that happen. SMART says everything is fine but...

• Options

Sure. Blame your inability to install on the baby. How big was the download?

1.2 gig

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    So this re-release of MCG is an "all my dicks" moment, right? COS THEY ARE.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    So, do we need to start compiling a Shame List for those of us preordering to get beta access to MW5? Y'know, for online co-op science?

I'm tempted to throw the $50 bucks at it, since I'm 100% likely to buy it anyway.

Nips on
  • Options
    I mean, the preorder bonus stuff is really solid if you play MWO. I'm not even ashamed. Battletech/Mechwarrior is probably my favorite gaming IP of all time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Dang it, they got me considering paying full price for a video game.
    A few free little light mechs would be more appealing than an assault, to me though.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Two thoughts:

1. I really like the 5A
    2. Between Marauders, Marauder IIs, Marauder IICs, and Madcat MK IIs it’s going to be interesting watching people try to identify mechs over comms.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It took me way too long to notice a couple key things about the Marauder II:

1) It looks just like a regular Marauder but with wings!
    2) oh...and 25 more tons

...and 3) well lookit that...and ECM

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »

Damnit... I don't care about the Marauder II (never played BT long enough to get to them) but beta access???? Oh man...
    So, do we need to start compiling a Shame List for those of us preordering to get beta access to MW5? Y'know, for online co-op science?

I'm tempted to throw the $50 bucks at it, since I'm 100% likely to buy it anyway.

Yeah I'm going to shamefully do it. Just to get the beta... Damn them....

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    It took me way too long to notice a couple key things about the Marauder II:

1) It looks just like a regular Marauder but with wings!
    2) oh...and 25 more tons

...and 3) well lookit that...and ECM

Yeah, it's like...just a bigger, meaner, jumpier, Marauder. And PGI, as usual, fucking nails their artistic rendition of it.

• Options
    Man, $70 to get the ECM version is a bit too spicy for me. But it’s basically an IS MAD-IIC-D with jump jets...

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Man, $70 to get the ECM version is a bit too spicy for me. But it’s basically an IS MAD-IIC-D with jump jets...

Yeah, but if I'm doing my math right, $65 gets you MW5, the bonus stuff, the basic pack, and the reinforcements pack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Yeah, but if I'm doing my math right, $65 gets you MW5, the bonus stuff, the basic pack, and the reinforcements pack.

Base preorder and then a add-on pack on top?

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Looks like you can do this the other way around.... preorder MW5 directly and get some Marauder II shit.

https://mw5mercs.com/#preorders

You know what, I think something in all the nested links confused. I thought at some point if you preordered the Marauder II they gave you beta access?

Namrok on
  • Options

Base preorder and then a add-on pack on top?

Yup. You can get reinforcements packs/Heroes for $15 each if you just preorder a basic pack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Plus you immediately get your money's worth in MC, so, if there were any other 'mechs you were looking at that are behind the paywall, well, there ya go.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Ah, I wasn’t sure if you could do the reinforcement/hero pack if you’re doing the MW5 preorder

• Options
    Ah, I wasn’t sure if you could do the reinforcement/hero pack if you’re doing the MW5 preorder

Yeah, I wasn't sure either, but I've won mech packs from streams and it gives me the option when I go to the store pages for those mechs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Namrok wrote: »
    Looks like you can do this the other way around.... preorder MW5 directly and get some Marauder II shit.

https://mw5mercs.com/#preorders

You know what, I think something in all the nested links confused. I thought at some point if you preordered the Marauder II they gave you beta access?

Can look at it this way. Buy MC, get mechs, MW5, MW5 beta access and Marauder IIs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Plus you immediately get your money's worth in MC, so, if there were any other 'mechs you were looking at that are behind the paywall, well, there ya go.

And, if you're a MWO Founder, you'll get double the MC.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Don't remind me that I missed being a founder ...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    kDWRbau.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    So buy privateer and get the MII standard pack with it?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Privateer or Mercenary are the best value/dollar.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    This franchise is allergic to information design

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    This franchise is allergic to information design

Have you seen how many rule books the tabletop game has?

Absolutely.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    One of the Marauder II variants has a theoretical 400 point alpha

The heat will kill you, but man that would be a sight to see.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    One of the Marauder II variants has a theoretical 400 point alpha

The heat will kill you, but man that would be a sight to see.

B33f is going to have fun...

• Options
    kDWRbau.png

So... How many are going to admit to buying the Mercenary level?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

I play HBS BattleTech and not MWO, but that a single player MechWarrior definitely interests me.

That being said... the giant stompy robots don't look nearly stompy enough in that footage. They should be smashing and cracking pavement when they walk on it and throwing up divots and leaving huge footprints on unpaved ground. They move like they're weightless.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

I wish there was a way instead that I could just pay less as a founder and they can keep the MC instead...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    So I've gone down the mod rabbit hole with HBS BattleTech and there are quite a few pretty good ones. There's a huge consolidated mod pack of things that are popular in the community: dZ Consolidated Company Commander. I read over the list of mods that it contains and tried out a few that seemed like they weren't exercises in grognard masochism:

Attack Improvement Mod (AIM): vastly improves the HUD and reduces the amount of weird RNG fudging the game does by default for hit calculations. Really nice set of QoL improvements regardless of how you feel about RNG fiddling.

Better AI: supposedly makes the AI the smarter. I'm not sure the AI with this mod is smarter, but it's definitely more dickish. In the light/medium game, it will, if it can, punch the hell out of any of your mechs with high evasion rather than shoot at them uselessly. I'm going to find a way to change the Career Mode starting lance to include a Hatchetman and then start a fresh career with this mod. Chop ALL the Locusts!

JK Variants: adds something like 60 new mech variant models to the game and alters enemy lance composition to combinations that are appropriate for the various factions, based on the lore. TBH, I know nothing about the lore, but if you're sick of seeing the same two dozen enemy loadouts, then this is the mod for you. That being said, be warned that the official mech of the Aurigan Directorate is apparently the Firestarter. The Directorate has so many Firestarters.

Adjusted Mech Assembly: this allows you to assemble base mechs from the parts of different variants. You need this one if you have JK Variants installed and you ever hope to salvage another mech.

Melee Mover: lets you reposition a mech for a melee attack if it's already adjacent to its target. No idea why this isn't the base game, but it makes melee much more viable and interesting.

Retrainer: lets you respec your pilots once you've reached a certain level of progress in a campaign/career.

• Options
    Somebody's going to make a Marauder II HP with 9 LRM-5s.