Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    PSTV is a better investment. You can use Dual Shocks and make smarter game choices than they did.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It's a shame that the hacking scene has ballooned the price on PSTVs a bit.

Though having a PSTV is probably the main reason I have no interest in the PS Classic. The PSC literally only has one game I like, which I already have on my PSTV. And even if you prefer hacking them, a hacked PSTV/Vita is way more useful than a hacked PS Classic.

Even unhacked, the SNES Classic offers some good reasons to choose it over just using the WiiU VC (better save states, and some nice games not available on the eShop).

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    PSX Rearmed is already pretty much the best open source emulator for this hardware. I wouldn't expect anything more than cleaning up the graphics a little.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm wondering if the PSTV was even available in Canada. Never seen one, would have loved one.

And that's before any talk of hacking.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The problem is that my expectation of what I would want on a PSC would be mostly RPGs as the PS1 had a pretty killer RPG collection.

Then again I really regret never grabbing a Vita tv for that specific purpose.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Well, in theory you could get the images of any PS1 RPG you owned onto the thing.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    What's this about a PSTV? I have one sitting in my closet collecting dust.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    What's this about a PSTV? I have one sitting in my closet collecting dust.

If you want to play Ps1 games, it is better than the PS Classic. You can use a Dual Shock, it's not using shitty European emulation, and you can choose what games you want (that are available on the store).

• Options
    More recently, I wound up with a PS3. Any reasons I'd still want a PSTV in that case?

I guess 1 & 2 are that it plays PSP and Vita games, right? Anything beyond that?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think it has support for PS4 remote play still, but that’s kind of a weird use case these days. A used PS4 is probably easier to find at roughly the same price.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I describe my PSTV as my Persona 4 Golden playing device.

(n.b. I have yet to actually play P4 Golden)

• Options
    I think it has support for PS4 remote play still, but that’s kind of a weird use case these days. A used PS4 is probably easier to find at roughly the same price.

Though pausing your game and picking it up in the other room is a lot easier with remote play. With 2 PS4s, you need to save your game, upload your save to the cloud, download it on the second system, boot up the game, load your save. With remote play, you just pause it, then resume it on the PSTV/Vita.

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if the PSTV was even available in Canada. Never seen one, would have loved one.

Oh, it definitely was. I saw it at Target before they closed.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options

Welp

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I absolutely walked into an EB and picked one off the shelf. This was either at launch or maybe a few weeks after, I don't remember.

It's also one of the regretful purchases I've made. I've never really used the dumb thing. It was a piss poor Vita due to the arbitrary blocking of games. The few games I did play I didn't really care for, and eventually game companies picked up on this and most of the good ones also had PS4 releases. And though I personally don't really have a need for the whole PS4 remote play it does, I did try it out for novelty sake... and the performance was god awful. The whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    And though I personally don't really have a need for the whole PS4 remote play it does, I did try it out for novelty sake... and the performance was god awful. The whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not that this really matters now, but the quality of remote play is very dependent on your network setup. When I was using just the router that my ISP provided, I had terrible quality. When I set up a powerline adapter in my bedroom it got better, and when I eventually upgraded to Google WiFi, it became damn near flawless. Another thing that can really mess it up is that I think the "direct connection" option is enabled by default, which is terrible because it will use that direct connection even when its signal is awful. Your PS4 should definitely be wired, and it's even better if you're able to have a wired connection at both ends.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I absolutely walked into an EB and picked one off the shelf. This was either at launch or maybe a few weeks after, I don't remember.

It's also one of the regretful purchases I've made. I've never really used the dumb thing. It was a piss poor Vita due to the arbitrary blocking of games. The few games I did play I didn't really care for, and eventually game companies picked up on this and most of the good ones also had PS4 releases. And though I personally don't really have a need for the whole PS4 remote play it does, I did try it out for novelty sake... and the performance was god awful. The whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

That's informative, thanks--since the main PS4 game I've been playing is cross-compatible with Vita, I gave some serious thought to the PSTV as an option (I cannot into handhelds, despite multiple efforts).

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ok fine. You can all thank me for buying mine at $49.99.

Walmart has it now for $39.99.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-PlayStation-Classic-Console-Gray-3003868/659739661

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Amazon too.

…guess we can cross off any possibility for a sequel with games released later in the PlayStation's life.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Yowza. I can't imagine this whole endeavor has been all that profitable for Sony. At $40 those things are probably going out for below manufacturing cost now.

• Options
    Kinda glad something this bad failed, but this sheer degree of failure makes me wonder if even a properly done one would've had a chance.

• Options
    The key points in an emulation machine are:
    - How does it look? I would argue the original Playstation controller wasn't beloved (unlike the NES and SNES controllers) so few were happy to see it return over the obviously superior in every way Dual Shock. Like if they did an Xbox Classic and launched with the Duke instead of the actually usable S controller. I'm not nostalgic for things that were bad.
    - What games are on the thing? Speaking of bad, literally no one was excited by the full list. The SNES Classic is a list curated by enthusiasts. The Playstation Classic is a grocery list of what would be the least troublesome to grab. This alone killed it.
    - How does it play? And somehow they even screwed the pooch here. Thinking the PAL versions were fine alternatives shows what an utter lack of care went into this POS.

The correct price for a Playstation classic is whatever the recycling plant wants for the lot of them.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Kinda glad something this bad failed, but this sheer degree of failure makes me wonder if even a properly done one would've had a chance.

It definitely would have, because Nintendo has several cases you can point to.

It’s not a failure of library, which means it’s a failure of execution.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    And though I personally don't really have a need for the whole PS4 remote play it does, I did try it out for novelty sake... and the performance was god awful. The whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not that this really matters now, but the quality of remote play is very dependent on your network setup. When I was using just the router that my ISP provided, I had terrible quality. When I set up a powerline adapter in my bedroom it got better, and when I eventually upgraded to Google WiFi, it became damn near flawless. Another thing that can really mess it up is that I think the "direct connection" option is enabled by default, which is terrible because it will use that direct connection even when its signal is awful. Your PS4 should definitely be wired, and it's even better if you're able to have a wired connection at both ends.

The big important thing is to make sure the PS4 is wired in. The wifi card that's built in is garbage, even on a poor internet connection you'll run better on ethernet.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Jeez $40? That might be a good enough price for me to jump in and hack the hell out of it. Puzzle Fighter HD is $10 alone on XBL.

• Options
    Jeez $40? That might be a good enough price for me to jump in and hack the hell out of it. Puzzle Fighter HD is $10 alone on XBL.

Be warned it's probably not as hackable as you're hoping for. I'd definitely be aware of its capabilities/lack thereof before biting.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The only game on the bunch I would play is MGS and I can just grab that for the PS1 if I wanted.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    - How does it look? I would argue the original Playstation controller wasn't beloved (unlike the NES and SNES controllers) so few were happy to see it return over the obviously superior in every way Dual Shock. Like if they did an Xbox Classic and launched with the Duke instead of the actually usable S controller. I'm not nostalgic for things that were bad.
    - What games are on the thing? Speaking of bad, literally no one was excited by the full list. The SNES Classic is a list curated by enthusiasts. The Playstation Classic is a grocery list of what would be the least troublesome to grab. This alone killed it.
    - How does it play? And somehow they even screwed the pooch here. Thinking the PAL versions were fine alternatives shows what an utter lack of care went into this POS.

The correct price for a Playstation classic is whatever the recycling plant wants for the lot of them.

I would want a Duke with an Xbox Classic.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Be warned it's probably not as hackable as you're hoping for. I'd definitely be aware of its capabilities/lack thereof before biting.

Really? I already read that you can change the Hz to 60 from 50 from the Debug menu, and you can side-load your own PSX games onto it. That's probably enough for me. I would just change out Twisted Metal for TM2, and something else for Breath of Fire 3/4. I would toss Year of the Dragon and Crash Warped on there too if I already didn't have the re-releases. Truth is the only thing I would really want is MGS, Puzzle Fighter, and Breath of Fire. Maybe Dragoon.

Like, it's a decent box that comes pre-packed with two PSX controllers. It's honestly not bad at $40 if you want to put in some extra work to make it awesome.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Is the 50 vs 60 Hz the only technical issue? I thought there were other emulation issues as well? Maybe I made that up.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Couldn't they pretty much just put the entire Xbox Classic inside the Duke? Like a more up-to-date version of those Atari 2600 joysticks that plug directly into your TV?

• Options
    What's the state of oXbox emulation? I figured the NES, SNES, and PS1 were easy since emulation on those have been damn near perfect for years, even on weak hardware. Last time I looked into oXbox emulation, it ran like shit even on beast machines.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

If Nintendo had successfully released an N64 at $100 you'd have more of a point. I'm a bit more skeptical of 5th gen early 3D, not only looking bad but being mostly early iterations of the same genres that have dominated in recent times, and needing slightly more expensive hardware to emulate decently.

I have no doubt it would've sold better if done better, but not sure about the NES/SNES levels that Sony was apparently banking on.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

Couldn't they pretty much just put the entire Xbox Classic inside the Duke? Like a more up-to-date version of those Atari 2600 joysticks that plug directly into your TV?

I don't think so--maybe if you wrote off the online functionality (since the original Xbox was the first consume with an integrated modem out of the box). The Duke is big, no doubts, but even looking at something like the Xbox One-compatible "Duke"--removing the memory cards, obviously, relying on some solid state storage, an external power supply, the necessary HDMI output, with the necessary air ventilation and cooling....hmm.

The original Xbox was notably more powerful than the other two consoles in the same generation. And on top of that, there's no way you put out an "Xbox Classic" without support for four-player multiplayer, many of the console's most beloved games (including Halo CE) are famed for their local four-player multiplayer. So you have to come up with some way to link the four controllers together in one master unit, wirelessly or wired.

Still, I would not mind being proven wrong. Bringing over original Xbox games to Xbox One has been slow (we've got more than three hundred Xbox 360 games...and about a dozen original Xbox games), I'd definitely consider buying one depending on the titles.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Funny enough, you can actually buy an officially licensed Duke controller for the Xbox One, and use it to play the oXbox games that are backwards compatible (though it's not cheap).
    It's also compatible with every game on the Xbox One and works with PCs as well, but I think it's no coincidence that it was announced not long after they brought in oXbox backwards compatibility.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    No doubt cashing in on nostalgia, as all of these things are.

Appearances aside, it's just a wired Xbox One controller that (like all XB1 controllers) is compatible with PC...and happens to feature a nifty formfactor and nostalgia-provoking circular screen.

I've thought about buying one, but I think I'm hoping they put out the same thing that's a Controller S.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I mean, yes? Obviously?

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

I mean, yes? Obviously?

I wasn't trying to be argumentative-though I have heard some people argue that the original NES Classic had less to do with nostalgia and more to do with accessing a library in a more efficient matter that was currently available (at a higher cost).

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

If Nintendo had successfully released an N64 at $100 you'd have more of a point. I'm a bit more skeptical of 5th gen early 3D, not only looking bad but being mostly early iterations of the same genres that have dominated in recent times, and needing slightly more expensive hardware to emulate decently.

I have no doubt it would've sold better if done better, but not sure about the NES/SNES levels that Sony was apparently banking on.

Not to mention most of the 3D games that generation had serious camera issues and other problems that would be considered nigh-unplayable nowadays.

It's true that much of the N64/PS games that remain reasonably good today are clustered on the N64, though an N64 classic would suffer greatly without the Rare library.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    though an N64 classic would suffer greatly without the Rare library.

My experience with Rare Replay taught me that their entire back catalog outside of DKC is nigh unplayable trash by modern standards.