As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread: Where the term "projection" is A-OK!

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I didn't find Hereditary scary at all. Most horror isn't really scary to me (with a few exceptions, like The Ring and Blair Witch and Poltergeist because I saw it when I was like 7 fucking years old, thanks mom), so I more go for tense or atmospheric or unsettling or filled with dread.

I really want to see Suspiria. I expect my wife will hate it.

What did you think of the autopsy of Jane Doe?

@ElJeffe

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Hereditary’s genius is the way it switches perspective/focus from one family member to the next. This allows it to prevent the viewer from puzzling out just what kind of horror movie this is, what exactly is going on that is precipitating these upsetting events. But it also represents how the family is divided from one another, unable to communicate properly (because, we come to find, the things they’re not communicating are horrible). It’s a thrilling mixture of grief, guilt, and horror that’s unlike any horror movie I’ve seen before. Really tremendous, innovative stuff. Scary might be the wrong word for it, but I found it both upsetting and extremely tense.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    With both Hereditary and Suspiria I very much want to watch these films while also having a very strong impulse not to watch them, because I don't want certain images (or sounds, for that matter) to be burnt into my synapses. It's a bit of a conundrum.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Hereditary’s genius is the way it switches perspective/focus from one family member to the next. This allows it to prevent the viewer from puzzling out just what kind of horror movie this is, what exactly is going on that is precipitating these upsetting events. But it also represents how the family is divided from one another, unable to communicate properly (because, we come to find, the things they’re not communicating are horrible). It’s a thrilling mixture of grief, guilt, and horror that’s unlike any horror movie I’ve seen before. Really tremendous, innovative stuff. Scary might be the wrong word for it, but I found it both upsetting and extremely tense.

a great review of it said it was 'emotional terrorism' which feels accurate

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Rchanen wrote: »
    I didn't find Hereditary scary at all. Most horror isn't really scary to me (with a few exceptions, like The Ring and Blair Witch and Poltergeist because I saw it when I was like 7 fucking years old, thanks mom), so I more go for tense or atmospheric or unsettling or filled with dread.

I really want to see Suspiria. I expect my wife will hate it.

What did you think of the autopsy of Jane Doe?

@ElJeffe

I haven't seen it yet, but it looks right up my alley, and it's on my to-do list.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    What was the verdict on the Suspira remake?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    What was the verdict on the Suspira remake?

A++

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This is classy quality and probably what Jay was doing while Mike was melting toys with Acetone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVC5n6hYTFY

They have been consistent with classy 80's movies being Re:vi:ew:ed:.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

The dinner scene was one of the most tense things I've seen in a horror movie in a while. It felt uncomfortably real.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The Oscars nominated fewer films this year than they have in at least a decade:

v6hbvjado8r7.jpg

I did some math to figure out why.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    You have my vote for "Best Use of Pie-Charts In an Awards Season Blog Post".

As well as my ax for trying to get the Academy to spread the love to as many deserving works and artists as possible.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm getting an appropriately-used-graphs stiffy.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I'm getting the urge to see Spiderverse again. Wait, how'd that ha... oh who cares.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »

blah blah, what ever. who's gonna play the Pug? Danny Devito?

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Just got back from seeing Isn't it Romantic with a date. I normally don't like romantic comedies but this one was really fun and meta. There were also a lot of blink and you'll miss it background gags with the rom-comified city.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Just got back from seeing Isn't it Romantic with a date. I normally don't like romantic comedies but this one was really fun and meta. There were also a lot of blink and you'll miss it background gags with the rom-comified city.

Can you spoil the ending for me? It's the one thing I was worried about in the well-made trailer and my paying to see it is dependent upon it.
    they don't make it so she embraces the bullshit of the movie world in her own world or whatever, basically it doesn't kiss moviemaking's ass and the power of film making the power of love possible, etc etc.

• Options
    I was finally able to escape the confines of my house without children in tow and say Into the Spiderverse.

On of the best movies I've seen recently. Just goddamn amazing on every front.

One of the last movies I saw in theatres was Solo. Disney must be kicking themselves.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    At this point there's no way the Dune movie lives up to the hype.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I was finally able to escape the confines of my house without children in tow and say Into the Spiderverse.

One of the last movies I saw in theatres was Solo. Disney must be kicking themselves.

I somehow don’t think Disney is too stressed about 2019.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

My strategy is that I don't really care one way or the other, so I am immune to hype!

Yay, apathy and cynicism!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

My strategy is that I don't really care one way or the other, so I am immune to hype!

Yay, apathy and cynicism!

Eh, I think that tone is played out.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular

You went to see Spiderverse without your kids? What kind of monster are you? (unless they're like under 5 or whatever...)

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

I somehow don’t think Disney is too stressed about 2019.

Considering their reaction to Solo's performance was to kill all their Star Wars character spin-offs, I think the idea that they didn't stress that decision is not well supported.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    They Shoot Pictures recently updated their Top 1,000 films of the 21st Century So Far (as they do every year). It's an unwieldy amount of films for such a small period of time, which I appreciate because 'best of' lists are rarely so overstuffed. The reason I bring it up is because 2019 spells the end of another decade, which means a whole bunch of reassessment and 'best of the decade' lists are going to be everywhere come December, and they're going to massively reshift the entire list, as every film on it will be directly weighed against one another. So in a way, this might be a final look through a window of critical consensus on film from the early 21st century. Looking at it, especially at the stuff really high up can be a bit puzzling. I can't imagine, for example, WALL-E retaining its position in the top 15 or Get Out remaining outside of the top 100.

One thing that interests me is how popular and critical opinion can drastically change over time for just about any reason, and there are some lingering phantoms of previous opinion that haunt the list in its current form.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'll take a Dune movie that's beautifully shot as a visual spectacle in the very least, and I'll probably get it

Dune is a good story with an extremely inventive and interesting world behind it; it just needs someone to embrace it and make it with loving craft. I think if anyone did, it'd be Villeneuve

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Watching the latest Robin hood. Man, this is a bad Robin hood movie. There's some cool action scenes, and maybe if it wasn't a Robin hood movie it'd be ok, but it's just boring and bad. I hate the origin story in this one. If there had never been a Robin hood movie maybe it'd be good.

But we've had the Disney and costner version (I stand by it) , and even men in tights

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Watching the latest Robin hood. Man, this is a bad Robin hood movie. There's some cool action scenes, and maybe if it wasn't a Robin hood movie it'd be ok, but it's just boring and bad. I hate the origin story in this one. If there had never been a Robin hood movie maybe it'd be good.

But we've had the Disney and costner version (I stand by it) , and even men in tights

IMO, the only good one.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Can you spoil the ending for me? It's the one thing I was worried about in the well-made trailer and my paying to see it is dependent upon it.
    they don't make it so she embraces the bullshit of the movie world in her own world or whatever, basically it doesn't kiss moviemaking's ass and the power of film making the power of love possible, etc etc.
    She learns to love herself.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

IMO, the only good one.

Men in tights and the Costner version have the best versions of the Sheriff

• Options
    Tenzytile wrote: »
    They Shoot Pictures recently updated their Top 1,000 films of the 21st Century So Far (as they do every year). It's an unwieldy amount of films for such a small period of time, which I appreciate because 'best of' lists are rarely so overstuffed. The reason I bring it up is because 2019 spells the end of another decade, which means a whole bunch of reassessment and 'best of the decade' lists are going to be everywhere come December, and they're going to massively reshift the entire list, as every film on it will be directly weighed against one another. So in a way, this might be a final look through a window of critical consensus on film from the early 21st century. Looking at it, especially at the stuff really high up can be a bit puzzling. I can't imagine, for example, WALL-E retaining its position in the top 15 or Get Out remaining outside of the top 100.

One thing that interests me is how popular and critical opinion can drastically change over time for just about any reason, and there are some lingering phantoms of previous opinion that haunt the list in its current form.

I 'member this list! It hurts my heart!

I understand it's about weak minded critics shifting opinions based on their twitter feeds a zing and weighs more to newer things and you all know I was going to go here but come on, Paddington 2 at 871, about three hundred below the newest stupid A Star Is Born? And Paddington 1 not even on the list, the same with Your Name?

IGvXAE7.jpg

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    jimb213 wrote: »

blah blah, what ever. who's gonna play the Pug? Danny Devito?

Hugh Jackman. People will complain that he's too tall, but he'll win you over.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I want Sean Bean to play Jamis.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Robert Shaw is a great Sheriff and the best Robin Hood is Sean Connery.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I saw Alita: Battle Angel last night.

It was a lot of fun and the CG was amazing. Great performances mixed with an anime as fuck asthetic.

While not high-art, it's probably the best live-action anime movie ever made, and I'm a big fan of how goofy Speed Racer is.

It's a shame it's going to bomb super hard.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Patrick Stewart was a good Robin Hood.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »

It was a lot of fun and the CG was amazing. Great performances mixed with an anime as fuck asthetic.

While not high-art, it's probably the best live-action anime movie ever made, and I'm a big fan of how goofy Speed Racer is.

I've been shitting on it because it looked stupid and generic but everyone is saying it's good and essentially Hansel and Gretel certified and now I feel like I should see it.

• Options

I've been shitting on it because it looked stupid and generic but everyone is saying it's good and essentially Hansel and Gretel certified and now I feel like I should see it.

/looks at RT

It does not look like most people are saying it's good. It's barely scrapping 60%.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart was a good Robin Hood.

So was Rik Mayall.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular

/looks at RT

It does not look like most people are saying it's good. It's barely scrapping 60%.
    Check the audience score

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
This discussion has been closed.