As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who, of these, is the scariest video game character to be chased by?

WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPEDRegistered User regular
edited February 2019 in Social Entropy++
You know what's scary? Getting chased in video games. That can take a game from spooky to terrifying, or from innocuous to also terrifying.

Of these four video game baddies what can chase you, who is the worst to be chased by?

Contestant Number 1: Mr. X (Resident Evil 2 Remake)

TMSozh0.jpg
"Man, fuck the police." -Mr. X, probably

Mr. X is the big bruiser who originally debuted in Resident Evil 2 about a thousand years ago. He recently re-appeared about a half-thousand hours ago in the remake of Resident Evil 2. Depending on whether you're doing an initial run or a second run, and whether you play Claire or Leon, he'll be an either short-lived or nearly constant presence in your trip through the Raccoon City Police Department and beyond.

Mr. X is on this list because of his incarnation in the remake, where he will prowl the police station, searching for the heroes so he can beat them to death. Trying to fight him is pointless; unlike the original version of the character, putting him down does not grant you any ammunition, and he takes a few bullets to stagger. 10 seconds after that he'll be back on his feet, and he'll be more aggressive if he ever gets into melee range with you.

The thing that makes Mr. X really scary is a combination of the sound design around him and how he functions in the design of the game. Since he's so big and wears heavy boots, you can hear him from multiple rooms away, or even on different floors. His presence is a constant source of stress until you reach a point in your playthrough where he leaves, one way or another. The thing is that if he does spot you, he's not that dangerous on his own, but he will force you to make mistakes to get away from him. He serves as a threat multiplier for anything else you're in range of, and if you get too caught up in other problems then he might get his hands on you, and if you can't get away he will literally pop your head like a grape. If you're in a room with a Licker and Mr. X opens the door, you are going to be having an unhappy evening.

Contestant Number 2: Nemesis (Resident Evil 3: Nemesis)

eCxKWfa.jpg?1
"Stars!" -Nemesis, canonically

Nemesis is kind of the OG iteration of the archetype that the latter-day version of Mr. X would build on. Mr. X in OG RE2 would feel sort of like he's chasing you—Nemesis has the audacity to actually chase you. In 1999! What a jerk!

Nemesis is basically Mr. X taken to greater extremes. He has a rocket launcher, he's hugely ugly, he actually vocalizes, and there's no path through the game where he won't dog your ass to the end of the Earth and back. He's so baked into the iconography of the Resident Evil series that he's the reflexive pick for number 1 monster, for a lot of fans.

He's pretty spooky.

Contestant Number 3: SA-X (Metroid Fusion)

loaJtiT.png
"I love your outfit." SA-X, basically

The SA-X is what happens when your protagonist has the mechanism by which she moves through the setting—her armor, her weapons, her very body—taken from her. It is Samus: perfect anonymity, almost limitless firepower, seemingly invincible, able to reshape the environment around her by virtue of the destruction she can wreak. And unlike Samus, there is no hint of humanity.

The SA-X mostly appears in very specific, scripted sequences before you gather up enough power to actually throw down with it and attempt to reclaim your arsenal. It serves as the endpoint of your progression, the place where you can take your power back for yourself. You know you will claw your way toward it; you know that, eventually, you will have to kill it. There will come a time when it is not beyond you.

But you can never be sure of when that moment will come. And before then, you have but one recourse: run.

Contestant Number 4: The Ghost Lady (Evil Within 2)

MpUWvo6.jpg
"*horrible wailing*" -The Ghost Lady, when she sees you

"*panicked screaming*" -me, confronted with The Ghost Lady

Getting chased in video games is scary. Of all these, who would you least want to be chased by?

dN0T6ur.png
Wyborn on

Who, of these, is the scariest video game character to be chased by? 65 votes

Mr. X (Resident Evil 2 Remake)
16%
A duck!Houk the NamebringerrhylithLibrarian's ghostKing RiptorDaebunzFawstBlankZoeSorceWheatBun01A Kobold's Kobold 11 votes
Nemesis (Resident Evil 3: Nemesis)
10%
NothingMulysaSemproniusMarathonani_game_bumMoridin889DoobhBear_thescond 7 votes
SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
44%
HenroidDarmakMunkus BeaverButlerAshcroftGarthorKnobMai-KerobowensarukunSilverWindOlivawgtrmpdarunia106JimothyPeewiSpeed RacerMortal SkyJoolanderPlaty 29 votes
The Ghost Lady (Evil Within 2)
27%
SyphonBlueKadithWeaverSonelanBahamutZEROkriegsdurandal4532Grey GhostWybornRorshach KringleMedium DavemxmarksPeenRadiusmasterofmetroidbalerbowermageormikeDalantia 18 votes

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
    I knew I was voting for the SA-X even before I opened the thread

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Scariest creature to be chased by in a video game?

Crash-Bandicoot-N.-Sane-Trilogy-Being-Chased-by-Polar-Bear.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    There are very many scary things that chase you in video games; I didn't have room to put all of them. I'm sorry if I left off anyone's favorite, but I hope that the "listed" in the title will let folks know that this is necessarily and practically limited

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The running out of air music from sonic

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    For me it was
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKTuSXca4zg

i only enter another contender because I haven't played the games listed in the OP

Psykoma on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nemesis will try to breach the save room. In 2 remake X will follow you into save rooms if the door isn't closed or you're on B and the secret office doesn't seal up

Gotta go with X

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Nemesis will try to breach the save room. In 2 remake X will follow you into save rooms if the door isn't closed or you're on B and the secret office doesn't seal up

Gotta go with X

I deliberately tested that multiple times and it never happened?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I like SA-X more but the ghost lady's sequences scared me more in practice

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

Gotta go with X

I deliberately tested that multiple times and it never happened?

He definitely followed me into the dark room once. I about shit myself.

I did not stick around in the office but he was at the doorway so I bolted

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    0/10, Alma was not an option. Alma gave me fucking nightmares.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Mr. X'll punch you if you stand in the doorway of a safe room, and will stare at you for a long time while standing on the threshold of the secret room's staircase, but he won't actually enter any room with a typewriter except for the main lobby

If he actually came into the dark room then some goofiness was going down, he doesn't normally do that
    Psykoma wrote: »
    For me it was
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKTuSXca4zg

i only enter another contender because I haven't played the games listed in the OP

The Dahaka is pretty spooky

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I have never played any of these games.

The scariest thing to be chased by in video games is the blue shell

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i also haven't played any of these games, and instead nominate the mummy in Scarab of Ra

also, fuck that monkey
    Scarab_of_Ra-3.jpg

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    RhBmFYk.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
    Of those, I know only SA-X, but the real answer is Eternal Darkness’s bonethieves tied with Wind Waker’s Miniblins

Oh and OoT’s Wall Master

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Of those, I know only SA-X, but the real answer is Eternal Darkness’s bonethieves tied with Wind Waker’s Miniblins

Oh and OoT’s Wall Master

Mantorok is the scariest thing chasing you in that game

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    PMTubbaBlubba.png

Only slightly joking

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
    ypw4rxj3yqp4.png

• Options
    I actually did think of including the Sun (or Sinistar) until SilverWind reminded me that the SA-X exists

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    of the Resident Evils, I've only played number 4, and the most terrifying enemy in that one was the heavy-breathing floppy zombie guy, who slowly stalks toward you with his toothy mouth hanging open. You can shoot his legs off and he'll fall down, and you're safe, right? NO, he hurled himself at you and chomps your neck. And you can hear his breathing from rooms away.

The only thing worse is his identical brother, who is covered in spikes.

• Options
  • Options
    That piece of shit literally gave me nightmares as a kid

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    sinistar is the most time and place horrifying, imo

if sinistar is the first time you heard a game talk to you, holy shit

otherwise, he's just a cool meme

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the ghost lady in the evil within 2 is literally the only time a video game ever scared me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The SA-X is the coolest of these contenders, no bias on my part with that statement

But i'd rather fight any of them other than that fuckin' ghost

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    tbh im more scare of wall masters then I am any of those

fucking creepy ass hands

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    tbh im more scare of wall masters then I am any of those

fucking creepy ass hands

Oh yeah fuck those guys

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    oh shit I forgot wallmasters
    ocarina of time wallmasters made me quit the game for a year when I first got to the forest temple
    redead were a pretty close second for "nope nope nope" enemies, fucking kakariko well, and song of the sun tomb, and adult hyrule village

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Kirby

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    WHY DID YOU REMIND ME ABOUT THE GHOST LADY

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    sebaaastiiiaaannnn

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm trying to think of a scary thing in a video game and I think the last thing in a video game to really freak me out was a skeleton in minecraft

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I know it's cliché but Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2 and Scissor Man from Clock Tower always scared the shit out of me

• Options
    I don't really play scary videogames because I don't really like being scared but I do really enjoy this video by Griffin McElroy
    https://youtu.be/uXf9z689ALA

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    None of them

It's the xenomorph

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
    Shorty wrote: »
    None of them

It's the xenomorph

Yeah that's pretty good.

I liked evil within 2 though.

• Options
    The Xenomorph was scary for like an hour

then it was just annoying for a while

then it was scared of me

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Chainsaw dudes from RE4 for me. Runner-up were the Iron Maidens, which *checks notes* are even more horrifying than I remember.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    SA-X (Metroid Fusion)
    SA-X scared the shit out of me when I played Fusion. The first time you actually encounter it face-to-face there's no warning, no ominous music. You're just walking across some random room and the door opens and whoop there it is, coming at you as fast as possible and filling your face with every laser it has.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    SA-X is just doing her best to imitate what the real Samus would do, and kill this weird new Metroid variant.

The scariest thing chasing me is my own feeling of inadequacy

Oh brilliant