Options

The Snake Pit will decide if you got the [job] or not

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I had enchiladas tonight.

So got into an argument with a coworker today who brought his self-made lunch in. He called them "enchiladas" but I had a feeling that something was amiss. Thereupon I asked him: "Oh! And have they been made with a corn tortilla or a flour tortilla?" and he replied: "flour" and I replied: "then they are not enchiladas!" and he replied: "they are" and I then hovered above him and his lunch while I googled "enchilada" which brought me to a wikipedia page about enchiladas where it clearly says "corn tortilla" and I told him this and he told me "no" and then I argued with him for 7 minutes.

The question is...

How much of an asshole am I exactly? It's hard to tell if it's a 9 or a full on 10 sometimes.

Approximately 3/5 on the asshole scale.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That hits at least an 8 on an academic scale, which means it's probably closer to an 11 on a normal person scale.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    50 is a pretty sizable amount unless you live in like NYC or something.

The application process is pretty grueling for the most part since you have to spend like 45 minutes pressing buttons and copying your resume to little boxes so their HR can dismiss it 9 times out of 10. Or if you're lucky it's a 15 minute online application process.

I could see doing 50+ if you're driving around giving out resumes like you're a baby boomer in the 1960s.

I was unemployed for ~2 years.

I was sending out job applications like it was a full-time job. Some days when I was really struggling hard, I'd only manage to get one application done and dusted. Other days I'd fire off 10+.

Over the course of those two years I must have applied to at least a thousand jobs, easy.

Fuck, I'm back at it now because this gardening thing just isn't making me any real money, I don't want to be broke forever.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I’m not sure it’s ever worth arguing with a coworker over what an enchilada is. Unless you work in an enchilada restaraunt, I guess.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah pretty high, let the man enjoy his nearly enchiladas

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    If someone hovered above me to correct what I was calling my food while I was trying to eat, they would end up wearing a portion of my lunch I think.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It would have been better if you had said “I think your enchilada is an enchilnotda.” and just left it at that, tbh.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Y'all making me wanting an enchilada and I ain't even that hungry.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Me to C-Suite on Monday: Our planning process for changing our company KPIs should go something like:
    • Step A: Wednesday
    • Step B: Two Weeks
    • Step C: Two Weeks
    • Step D: Two Weeks

C-Suite to entire leadership team today, Wednesday: Your homework for next week is to complete Step D.

Me, in response: nodding and smiling

In their defense I also said "everyone's going to be a little uncomfortable with the outcome of this process, that's how we know it worked" so here's my helping of uncomfortableness as I try to do in four days what I said would take four weeks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I'm sure to them they thought "boy, what good managers we are. look at us manage!"

Hoping there isn't too much backlash if you aren't able to hit that mark. I fucking hate people who completely misinterpret KPIs and how damn complex they can be to gather, let alone setup. I've been where you are now.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Lot of nice looking jobs at the University of Hawaii. Maaaaaan.... It's hard when you're trying not to upend your children's life, but sometimes I wonder what else is out there.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Y'all making me wanting an enchilada and I ain't even that hungry.

This was my secret agenda. Wearing an enchilada made by a coworker is on my bucket list.

Unfortunately he didn't bite.

Pun intended.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Since moving to LA my taco consumption has gone up so much. It is a very good thing.

See also:
    Avocado
    Ramen
    Wine
    Korean

LA, best food city in America or best food city on Earth?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

I’ma go get Mexican food today.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Since moving to LA my taco consumption has gone up so much. It is a very good thing.

See also:
    Avocado
    Ramen
    Wine
    Korean

Strong contender for best in America from a sheer volume of amazing options and diversity. Honestly, yea, probably the number 1.

In the world? Clearly you've never been to Singapore

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Lot of nice looking jobs at the University of Hawaii. Maaaaaan.... It's hard when you're trying not to upend your children's life, but sometimes I wonder what else is out there.

They would have to be very high paying jobs for an academic institution to make living there remotely affordable.

• Options

See also:
    Avocado
    Ramen
    Wine
    Korean

Weird way to spell Chicago. LA is up there sure, but their pizza is how deep? Not deep enough in LA.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    As someone who's lived most of my adult life in the LA/OC area I'm plenty biased but yeah, sooo many amazing food options it's ridiculous. I've never actually been to NYC so if someone made a case for that I could definitely see it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

See also:
    Avocado
    Ramen
    Wine
    Korean

Strong contender for best in America from a sheer volume of amazing options and diversity. Honestly, yea, probably the number 1.

I've heard that LA and most of the rest of the west coast has shit pizza selections.

That's a deal breaker.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    How good are the Greek joints in LA is my question

NY is great, obviously, and I'd figure Chicago has good ones too.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm fine giving up pizza for literally everything else

• Options
    How good are the Greek joints in LA is my question

NY is great, obviously, and I'd figure Chicago has good ones too.

The city does and like...half? The suburbs do. Like my buddy moved out to Plainsfield and can't find a descent bowl of Lemon Rice to save his Lemon Life

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I'm fine giving up pizza for literally everything else

Chicago has good everything else too, in addition to the amazing pizza.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    It was a weird sort of heartwarming to find out Avgolemono is a dish people actually know about.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    I go to the snake pit. Wish me well my dudes.

You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • Options

See also:
    Avocado
    Ramen
    Wine
    Korean

I have.

It’s ai’ite, I feel like maybe you just wanted to use this Jack Sparrow line.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Bucketman wrote: »

See also:
    Avocado
    Ramen
    Wine
    Korean

Weird way to spell Chicago. LA is up there sure, but their pizza is how deep? Not deep enough in LA.

Chicago is not the best anything.
    Shadowfire wrote: »

See also:
    Avocado
    Ramen
    Wine
    Korean

I've heard that LA and most of the rest of the west coast has shit pizza selections.

That's a deal breaker.

Slander! Calumny! Demonstrably false!

sarukun on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    you can't get two slices of pizza and a can of coke for $2.50 in LA so New York wins.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    But then, inexplicably, you can't get good Mexican food in New York, so I don't know. Maybe there is no right answer.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    There has to be!

We must do more research.

Edit: holy shiiiiit, this dude’s carnitas are legit.

sarukun on
  • Options
    bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    That went pretty well I reckon. I'll know for sure in a few days.

You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I'm studying for a PhD at the moment, but after I finished my Masters and I was job hunting for a while it was a special flavour of hell knowing that:

1. There were virtually no jobs in my field.

2. What jobs there were had extremely specific requirements, because the people hiring already had someone picked out and were just going through the motions by listing the job at all.

3. My applications to jobs outside my field were likely getting binned because the people hiring saw my qualifications and assumed that if they did hire me I would immediately jump ship soon after for one of those science jobs that don't exist.

4. If I lied on my resume by omitting my qualifications and the study I did to get them, I would then have to account for an employment history with more holes than a slice of delicious ciabatta.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Yes coworker, boss can be an ass sometimes. But what I'm not saying is that i heard you making excuses to other boss when you didn't read schedule or check email.

So maybe this boss is not an ass and you need to be mindful of the data you collect and make sure it does not portray you as a lazy sumbitch?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The best city for food in the world is likely New Orleans, based on the bazillion people I've heard say that, and those people have traveled all over the world.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    you can't get two slices of pizza and a can of coke for $2.50 in LA so New York wins.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TRgEeDR98X8

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My job hunt is over officially. I went with the SBIR company that does a lot of innovative research and has spun off about $4 billion in shareholder value. Their benefits weren't quite as good as another company in some ways, like the 401k match is anemic and the health plan is significantly more expensive; however, the opportunity to work on some really cutting edge stuff in a variety of fields was too attractive for me to pass up. Also, although I didn't count it towards my decision, I was granted shares in the company that are used to determine shares in spin-off companies that can be fairly lucrative. And every grant won results in a $1,500 bonus. Hopefully I can make it rain there, demonstrate my value with eery speed, and get paid.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    My job hunt is over officially. I went with the SBIR company that does a lot of innovative research and has spun off about $4 billion in shareholder value. Their benefits weren't quite as good as another company in some ways, like the 401k match is anemic and the health plan is significantly more expensive; however, the opportunity to work on some really cutting edge stuff in a variety of fields was too attractive for me to pass up. Also, although I didn't count it towards my decision, I was granted shares in the company that are used to determine shares in spin-off companies that can be fairly lucrative. And every grant won results in a $1,500 bonus. Hopefully I can make it rain there, demonstrate my value with eery speed, and get paid.

Getting paid is a noble goal. Good work.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    50 is a pretty sizable amount unless you live in like NYC or something.

The application process is pretty grueling for the most part since you have to spend like 45 minutes pressing buttons and copying your resume to little boxes so their HR can dismiss it 9 times out of 10. Or if you're lucky it's a 15 minute online application process.

I could see doing 50+ if you're driving around giving out resumes like you're a baby boomer in the 1960s.

I was unemployed for ~2 years.

I was sending out job applications like it was a full-time job. Some days when I was really struggling hard, I'd only manage to get one application done and dusted. Other days I'd fire off 10+.

Over the course of those two years I must have applied to at least a thousand jobs, easy.

Fuck, I'm back at it now because this gardening thing just isn't making me any real money, I don't want to be broke forever.

It's also entirely dependent on where you live and how far you can feasibly go. Not everyone has the ability to find employment more than 45 minutes away from where they live. 50ish might be like, all of the businesses in that area. I just wouldn't poo-poo it so easily, it's a pretty large number but likely to not result in many bites.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Since nobody visits Houston for tourism we get to keep the secret that we’re the best food city to ourselves

Wait shit ummmmm hey how’s the weather today?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    But then, inexplicably, you can't get good Mexican food in New York, so I don't know. Maybe there is no right answer.

I've had better luck stumbling on random, small delicious Mexican places in the Northeast than I ever have finding even halfway decent pizza on the west coast.

Also the east coast has better burgers, don't @ me.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

I've had better luck stumbling on random, small delicious Mexican places in the Northeast than I ever have finding even halfway decent pizza on the west coast.

Also the east coast has better burgers, don't @ me.

I remember watching a show about pizzas across the US and when they got to california some dude was taking like mozz kraft singles and slapping them on a pizza.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.