As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Man I miss spending evenings sat by a fire waiting for coals to cook on. Gonna have to braai when I go camping in May.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I had Greek food yesterday.

Pastitsio. It was tasty. Not what I expected, but good. (I expected it to be more savory)

Also very filling. I was stuffed.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    knitdan wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    The only Hill-To-Die-On Food Opinion I have is that grilling with anything other than charcoal or wood is a waste of everyone's time.
    Sorry I don’t have 4 hours to babysit the coals to get them just right

I know you're just doing a bit, but I'll start the chimney about 30 mins before I want to cook, and other than just glancing at it to make sure it didn't tip over, no babysitting needed.
    But since I'm 'cooking' during that time, I get left alone with my whisky so yeah I'll stick with charcoal... 8-)

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Look at all these bad scientists making claims about how there's no way that can be true without trying to reproduce the experiment

Check out this internet science guy.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Grilling with propane has some advantages

Wood or charcoal are fun too

I want to do some grilling soon

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I cooked up some bratwursts in the kitchen last night

Is there anything worse then bratwurst farts

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Grilling with propane has some advantages

Wood or charcoal are fun too

I want to do some grilling soon

Taste the meat not the heat

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Heat tastes good though.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    Heat tastes good though.

Im going to have to ask you politely but firmly to leave

• Options
    Heat tastes good though.

Im going to have to ask you politely but firmly to leave

I’m gonna have to politely but firmly ask you to eat my butt.

My butt does not taste as good as heat.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I never understood "taste the heat"

the flavor from hickory isn't spicy

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

It's not referring to spicyness

it's implying that you can taste the heat that cooked the food. It's a poetic way of saying that cooking over wood tastes better.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Personally I'll eschew the barbecue altogether for the stove because I don't like char on my food

• Options
    What about that odd flavor when you cook something too long over charcoal?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What about that odd flavor when you cook something too long over charcoal?

the taste of cancer

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The only Hill-To-Die-On Food Opinion I have is that grilling with anything other than charcoal or wood is a waste of everyone's time.
    Sorry I don’t have 4 hours to babysit the coals to get them just right

Y'all if it takes more than about a half hour for your coals to be ready to go you're doing something super wrong.

15 minutes in the chimney (20 if it's a windy day), 10-15 minutes in the drum of the grill, and you're all set.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Then of course once the food's on the grill it'll cook in less than 30 minutes pretty much always. Start to finish grilling takes less than an hour (excluding prep and cleanup). I really don't know where the idea that this process takes longer than roasting something in the oven came from!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

The joke is Hank is a bland dude and doesn't quite get seasoning food.

• Options
    A charcoal chimney is helpful, I encourage everyone to try one out

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    charcoal chimney is the ONLY way to charcoal grill, this is known

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

the only down side is if you have a big grill and a lot of people. Unless they make extra large chimneys. I've never seen one though.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    yeah that can get a little tricky for sure, but honestly it'd probably be fairly trivial to make your own at home if one were so inclined. i bet you can special order biguns too, just because barbecue is such a big thing in some parts of the country.

• Options
    I really want to make a larger smoker from a 50gal drum or old file cabinet or something. The one I have is incredible, but it's also a bit small. .... my smoked meats are much in demand after last christmas when I gave out sample packs to several people

• Options
    see i've always felt like the filing cabinet style smokers are such a brilliant innovation, like, obviously you can't go wrong with just a big ol' drum smoker/grill what have you, there's a reason people been using em for such a long time, but the first time i saw a converted filing cabinet i was like THIS IS WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN FOR ALL ALONG FUCK FILES

• Options

...it's a thing to not use one? That seems like madness.

• Options

Different people do things differently and the snarky half serious elitism in these threads is tedious and off-putting

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    some people use briquettes and just put them in a big pile in the grill

• Options
    edited April 2019
    oh yeah there are other ways, i've just found that a charcoal chimney is like, by far the simplest and best way. no chemical starters involved, etc, they're great!

edit: my family always called charcoal lighter fluid or whatever you wanna call that stuff "white guy juice" and i have no idea where that term came from and now that i'm remembering that i have some questions about it's origin.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    some people use briquettes and just put them in a big pile in the grill

so they cook as a team!

• Options

Different people do things differently and the snarky half serious elitism in these threads is tedious and off-putting

Doug I genuinely did not know that anyone grilling wouldn't use one because I have never encountered that in my life and was always taught that it's a required piece of equipment when grilling.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    oh yeah there are other ways, i've just found that a charcoal chimney is like, by far the simplest and best way. no chemical starters involved, etc, they're great!

edit: my family always called charcoal lighter fluid or whatever you wanna call that stuff "white guy juice" and i have no idea where that term came from and now that i'm remembering that i have some questions about it's origin.

that's pretty disquieting!

• Options

Doug I genuinely did not know that anyone grilling wouldn't use one because I have never encountered that in my life and was always taught that it's a required piece of equipment when grilling.

I didn't think you were being actively malicious, but it's hard to read tone in text, I guess

I think I have lived a fairly privileged life and I had never heard of the charcoal chimney device until a few years ago

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

that's pretty disquieting!

yeah, like... i have no clue. and googling around it seems like it's for sure just either, like, my family had an inside joke or something? or maybe it was all my punk friends, barbecues tend to blend together for me... either way, :confused:

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I didn't think you were being actively malicious, but it's hard to read tone in text, I guess

I think I have lived a fairly privileged life and I had never heard of the charcoal chimney device until a few years ago

Where I grew up you would get some serious side-eye and be treated as a lesser man if you broke out a charcoal chimney when grilling.

To be clear, I am not saying that is in any way a good or correct attitude. Just that in some parts of the country, in some time periods, that's seen as every bit as much of a fake grilling shortcut as propane.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Men (and plenty of women, in my experience) will seize every opportunity to look down their nose at someone.

I do it constantly and it is a shameful practice.

• Options

Where I grew up you would get some serious side-eye and be treated as a lesser man if you broke out a charcoal chimney when grilling.

To be clear, I am not saying that is in any way a good or correct attitude. Just that in some parts of the country, in some time periods, that's seen as every bit as much of a fake grilling shortcut as propane.

Huh.

This explains a lot.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Men (and plenty of women, in my experience) will seize every opportunity to look down their nose at someone.

I do it constantly and it is a shameful practice.

cases in point
    Look at all these bad scientists making claims about how there's no way that can be true without trying to reproduce the experiment

Check out this internet science guy.

what a bunch of assholes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Look, I think we're missing the important part where grilling lets me drink whisky out of a coffee mug appropriately sized vessel.

At least we can all agree that Scotch whisky is the best, obviously.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Look, I think we're missing the important part where grilling lets me drink whisky out of a coffee mug appropriately sized vessel.

At least we can all agree that Scotch whisky is the best, obviously.

They can't even spell 'whiskey' correctly.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Making sure nobody's feelings are getting hurt when nobody has indicated that their feelings are getting hurt is maybe kind of unnecessary? I think an amount of ironic aggressive hyperbole is the norm around here, I think most of us know that.

Also lighter fluid tastes bad, use a chimney chumps.

This discussion has been closed.