As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Dropping 4 hostage takers against a tribal knigut deck thats trying desperately to ramp might be one of my favorite games Ive had in months.

"Oh yes that one is nice, Ill have that too"

Yesterday I got trounced by a "Nice permanent, I'll take it" deck that I kind of want to make now, except there's some stuff that'll rotate out.

Is that the agent of treachery deck? I've run into dozens of that.

It was a mono-blue deck with AoT, Switcheroo, Eyes Everywhere and a bunch of other weird shit.

Well, I threw together this janky pile of filth.

Won my first game after thoroughly confusing the opponent with my shell game of switching shit around.

Just five rares, the rest is common/uncommon. Could probably drop something for more Entrancing Melodies if you have rares to spare, but it's an Ixalan card.
    4 Scholar of the Ages (M20) 74
    24 Island (M19) 266
    4 Switcheroo (M19) 78
    4 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
    4 Eyes Everywhere (RNA) 38
    4 In Bolas's Clutches (DAR) 54
    4 Kasmina, Enigmatic Mentor (WAR) 56
    4 Mirror Image (M19) 61
    4 Omenspeaker (M19) 64
    1 Entrancing Melody (XLN) 55
    3 Moat Piranhas (M20) 67

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    No Mass Manipulation?

• Options
    Oh yeah, got a few of those to toss in there.

• Options
    This is absolutely not a good deck, but it is hilarious.

• Options
    Okay, that's a bug. 2/2 Dreadhorde Butcher died, I targeted their 2/2 amass token, nothing happened.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Okay, that's a bug. 2/2 Dreadhorde Butcher died, I targeted their 2/2 amass token, nothing happened.

Did it die to a moment of craving/disfigure?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Ooh, that's possible, yeah. Didn't pay much attention.

edit: I got the target thingie and all when it died though, hence the confusion. But yeah, then it was 0/0 when it died.

Echo on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Yeah, targeting with a 0 damage ability occasionally matters if there's like a Phantasmal Bear out or something.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Has someone put together an Oops, All Chandras! deck?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    You ever have an "oh shit why did I do that?" moment while playing? I think my last opponent did.

He was running green/blue/white Nissa proliferate, I was running my elves and dinos. I manage to get Etali out in play, sit on him for a turn. He takes another turn, I manage to drop Ilharg, keep sitting on my attack.

He gets his turn, and he blows up- pretty much all he needs is a land, and he's got his win, so he drops the last card in his hand- Nissa, Who Shakes the World.

I figure I have one shot at this, and throw three creatures at Nissa- Ilharg, Etali, and a 2/4 dino. Etali triggers, and what does it grab off my opponent's library?

Single Combat. Each player chooses one creature or walker they control, sacrifice the rest of them. I keep Ilharg, he keeps... Nissa. For some reason. And as a result, Ilharg goes on over and destroys it. His board is cleared.

I beat his head down, I get him to four life- and then I forget he has that blue leyline down, the one that gives all his creatures flash. He drops a Gargos, Vicious Hydra, which noms my pig, and then the next turn, I attack with a pair of 2/4s, trying to end him- he drops the Aggressive Mammoth.

My last turn, I end up drawing Chandra, Fire Artisan, and figure I'll drop her and hope for a face nuke with her draw. Lightning Blast- straight to his face. One life left. The only things on my board are a Goreclaw, a stack of lands, and Chandra. If this guy attacks me all out, he'll have me, because both his creatures have trample (thanks to the mammoth). I figure I'll let him have this win, and pass my turn.

He draws. Launches his attack, sending just his mammoth...

...at Chandra.

Block? Nope.

Knocks five counters off Chandra. Her ability triggers, and he takes five damage. I win.

I have to admit, I was dumbfounded. Why attack her when you could have beaten me with just a straightforward attack? Did he not read the card or something? Or was he just not paying attention?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

I have to admit, I was dumbfounded. Why attack her when you could have beaten me with just a straightforward attack? Did he not read the card or something? Or was he just not paying attention?
    I have found that a problem I have is to become too focused on the board state and not asking myself at the beginning of turn, "Do I have lethal?"

That doesn't explain why he suicided necessarily, but it's a thing.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Has someone put together an Oops, All Chandras! deck?

yeah
    https://youtu.be/a-MzCvJTOko

• Options
    anyone excited for new Commander decks?
    https://youtu.be/aJUEH4aA_DM

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I'm all over the morph deck, good reprint value in it which is good. I've already picked up a few cards to replace things that I don't want in there and need 2-3 more as well which are low in stock.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    yeah seems like great value this time round.

I'm kind of interested in the Naya Commander, i'm a sucker for tokens and mirror march jank.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I never got into Commander until now and I see they jacked the price up $10 already. Too bad.

• Options
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    but why did you take a picture of your monitor.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    but why did you take a picture of your monitor.

Eh, screen grabs need to be cropped.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Snipping tool!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i just threw together all the green 1 drops for a green spells and an attacks with x creatures quest and played full mono red in the casual queue

some people have no respect.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Snipping tool!

That just makes me think of that smug little paperclip and I want none of that mess

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    If you're using Windows, Window + Shift + S is a built in snipping tool that copies your selection to the clipboard. You can paste images from your clipboard directly into these here forums.

• Options
    http://www.mythicspoiler.com/c19/cards/atlapalaninesttender.html

oh man... I want to make an egg tribal now.

xildxoxmjowf.jpg

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Mirror Entity, X = 0, let's fucking gooooooooooooo!

H5UgqNALw2.jpg

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Getting really tired of all these Risen Reef decks everywhere.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hey I reached vault unlock threshold but I might hold off on opening it. I'm not going to use the wilds till rotation and I like seeing the progress % actually in game

• Options
    Woah, first time I've seen anyone else play Journey to Eternity!

...it was a Risen Reef deck.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

gotta get those Reefs back

Time for maindeck Tocatli Honor Guards maybe. I hope something equivalent comes in when it rotates.

• Options
    speaking of Reef decks, I've been having fun with a Scapeshift-less Field of the Dead deck. It's really just UG land-ramp into Agent of Treachery and besides the Reefs and Cavalier of Thorns I don't think there are any other elementals, but it feels nice to play a synergy deck that isn't all-in on Scapeshift or on Reef, it can progress on multiple axes. It's tied together with Quasiduplicate, which works well at the ramp stage (on a Reef or a Rejuvenator) or at the end stage (on an Agent), and you can dump it in the yard with Cavalier and cast it the next turn. All with incidental zombaes.

• Options

It's Reefer madness I tells ya!

• Options
    This deck looks fun, and I just need two rares! (except for some lands, those I treat as pleasant surprises if I end up having spare wildcards for)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLSHL65v1Vc

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Hot tip: don't ever combine Spark Double with Dragon-God Bolas.

Especially if you have multiple other walkers in play.

And if you do, especially especially don't do it more than once.

The game, uh...does not like it. I imagine there's a recursion in the game logic where each Dragon-God has the other Dragon-God's abilities...which includes each other Dragon-God's abilities...which includes each other Dragon-God's [scannersheadexplosion.gif]

Regardless of cause, at a certain point the game just goes "nope, can't deal, this is a draw".

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Things wot are fun: using the same Hostage Taker to yoink three Rekindling Phoenixes thanks to Kaya's Ghostform.

• Options
    ...and then using Muldrotha to slap Ghostform on said Phoenixes.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    ...also Ghalta.

Hostage Taker MVP

Echo on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    things you hate to see: Thought Erasure...thinking...scoop rarely happens but it feels so damn good every time

fovl350fsqyx.jpg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Don't know if anyone remembers the other day when I said I would just try forcing U/W fliers in M20 no matter what the other cards are.

Sure enough, my second time getting max wins.

I didn't even have a very good deck. I just decided to take the best white or blue card from each pack no matter what else was in any of them. It was so much worse than my perfect B/G deck.

But I guess the secret to my success is once again on the back of throwing enchantments on the Metropolis Sprite and turning it sideways.

That did get me enough gems for the mastery pass so now I am done drafting until the next set!

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    ...also Ghalta.

Hostage Taker MVP

I played against a Helm Of The Host/Hostage Taker deck last night.

That was...irritating.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    ...also Ghalta.

Hostage Taker MVP

I played against a Helm Of The Host/Hostage Taker deck last night.

That was...irritating.

*heavy breathing*

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg