As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] A Generation of War

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the President can't do things unilaterally.

President wants to install a tariff, he can do so. But if he wants to extend it beyond 60 days, he needs to get Congress to sign off.

Yes, Republicans will be obstructionist assholes. But I'd rather that a Democratic President be hindered (and require Republicans have to defend voting against shit), than Republican Presidents being monarchs because it's too hard to countermand an Executive Order.

Trump's wall funding 'emergency' should be seen as tyranny.

The issue here is that republicans are effectively ignoring the law on a routine basis due to the fact that no one is in a position to stop them so I'm skeptical that adding more laws will do anything beyond crippling democrats further.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the President can't do things unilaterally.

President wants to install a tariff, he can do so. But if he wants to extend it beyond 60 days, he needs to get Congress to sign off.

Yes, Republicans will be obstructionist assholes. But I'd rather that a Democratic President be hindered (and require Republicans have to defend voting against shit), than Republican Presidents being monarchs because it's too hard to countermand an Executive Order.

Trump's wall funding 'emergency' should be seen as tyranny.

The issue here is that republicans are effectively ignoring the law on a routine basis due to the fact that no one is in a position to stop them so I'm skeptical that adding more laws will do anything beyond crippling democrats further.

There are absolutely people in a position to stop them. Lots of people, in fact. They're called voters.

Note I'm not against fixing loopholes and failures in our rules and laws. That is all well and good. Just that those new laws and rules need to be judiciously applied with the knowledge that Republicans will bend and break them if it furthers their agenda, as we have seen.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    The "specific procedure" to remove a sitting President is absolutely broken, since it requires a political party to stab themselves in the back and remove their own power.

But that's really mostly because the Senate itself is broken. The two thirds requirement is absolutely dumb as hell, but even more because you will hardly see any party get 2/3 in the senate, especially with the president being from another party. The Senate by design is meant to hinder democratic rule.

If impeachment also just required a simple majority from the Senate things would be way different.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I mean, the whole fucking system was not designed for the existence of political parties, much less just two political parties.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    The "specific procedure" to remove a sitting President is absolutely broken, since it requires a political party to stab themselves in the back and remove their own power.

But that's really mostly because the Senate itself is broken. The two thirds requirement is absolutely dumb as hell, but even more because you will hardly see any party get 2/3 in the senate, especially with the president being from another party. The Senate by design is meant to hinder democratic rule.

If impeachment also just required a simple majority from the Senate things would be way different.

Yes, Democratic Presidents would get impeached for wearing tan suits.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I mean, the whole fucking system was not designed for the existence of political parties, much less just two political parties.

I mean it is a somewhat expected outcome. Granted, not like this, but in general a two party-ish system is the expectation.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

And when they first emerged, there was a brief window where rather than permanent wide platforms, parties were relatively focused on some specific goal, and once accomplished (or defeated) they dispersed - the first two parties were aligned around the specifics of the constitution and powers of the state, and once that was settled law both parties dispersed and their members realigned around strengthening the executive vs. the president serving at the pleasure of the legislature.

It continued like that with a few different issues, each one either was settled or a durable compromise created and then the whole system realigned, until something resembling the modern system emerged in the mid-1800's where instead of a bunch of diverse individuals with a shared key issue, parties became messy amalgams of loosely aligned (or just conveniently adjacent) special interest glommed together into a monolithic shared platform. Things kind of promptly went off the rails a bit but like a train with just a couple derailed cars it kept going as long as the engine's drive wheels were still lined up.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

I mean it is a somewhat expected outcome. Granted, not like this, but in general a two party-ish system is the expectation.

Yeah well, and they intended the Constitution to be revised as needed.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Ben Jacobs is a senior political reporter for Jewish Insider, quoting a CNN senior national correspondant.

Mike Pence is on a state visit to Ireland since Trump is too busy golfing. Instead of staying at, say, the US embassy in Dublin, a short walk or drive away from all the meetings he's attending, he's staying at Trump's Doonbeg gold resort three hours away, flying to Dublin and back on Air Force Two for those two days and nights, and also the American taxpayers are being charged for Pence's stay at the resort because of course there's grift on top of needless carbon emissions.

I request that Ireland please nationalize the golf resort as soon as Trump is no longer in power.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    its worth remembering that pence was basically a broke (and deeply in debt) ex radio host before all this, he is completely beholden to trump

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

And when they first emerged, there was a brief window where rather than permanent wide platforms, parties were relatively focused on some specific goal, and once accomplished (or defeated) they dispersed - the first two parties were aligned around the specifics of the constitution and powers of the state, and once that was settled law both parties dispersed and their members realigned around strengthening the executive vs. the president serving at the pleasure of the legislature.

It continued like that with a few different issues, each one either was settled or a durable compromise created and then the whole system realigned, until something resembling the modern system emerged in the mid-1800's where instead of a bunch of diverse individuals with a shared key issue, parties became messy amalgams of loosely aligned (or just conveniently adjacent) special interest glommed together into a monolithic shared platform. Things kind of promptly went off the rails a bit but like a train with just a couple derailed cars it kept going as long as the engine's drive wheels were still lined up.

I think maybe an even bigger thing than the party thing (although it was related) was the total irrelevance of individual state politics on a national level. I think they sort of assumed the US would work more like the EU where senators and representatives would basically get marching orders from governors and state legislatures and that didn’t happen for a number of reasons. I think they would be pretty shocked by a republican from Alabama , upstate New York, and western Oregon voting essentially in lockstep in the house, but by the middle 1800s the only thing that mattered about what state you came from was whether it was a slave state or not, and fifty years after the civil war that wasn’t important either.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    its worth remembering that pence was basically a broke (and deeply in debt) ex radio host before all this, he is completely beholden to trump

At that moment he was picked as the running mate, Pence was the highly unpopular governor of Indiana who was sure to lose reelection. Before that he had been a right-wing radio shock jock, with his show described as "Rush Limbaugh on decaff" (just as shitty and reactionary, but less exciting) and his family had left multiple Superfund sites across Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois where their shitty gas stations had contaminated soil and groundwater. They escaped from paying the bills by going bankrupt and making the government pay for the millions in cleanup which still isn't done.

So the full reminder that Mike Pence is garbage.

• Options
    America is like a failing upwards engine for rich white dudes

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Not just us, unfortunately.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Not just us, unfortunately.

Not uniquely. But not quite as spectacularly and to the same heights as they do in the US.

American exceptionalism!

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Not content with having Pence stay at Trump’s country club and commute the three hours to Dublin every day, the White House deputy press secretary decided to use the fact that Pence *gasp* shared a meal with An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and his same sex partner as “proof” that Pence is not in fact a raging homophobe.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Ben Jacobs is a senior political reporter for Jewish Insider, quoting a CNN senior national correspondant.

Mike Pence is on a state visit to Ireland since Trump is too busy golfing. Instead of staying at, say, the US embassy in Dublin, a short walk or drive away from all the meetings he's attending, he's staying at Trump's Doonbeg gold resort three hours away, flying to Dublin and back on Air Force Two for those two days and nights, and also the American taxpayers are being charged for Pence's stay at the resort because of course there's grift on top of needless carbon emissions.

I request that Ireland please nationalize the golf resort as soon as Trump is no longer in power.

Washington Post reporter:

Just one of those troublesome priests that someone needs to be rid of.

• Options
    The lazy PR is a brown M&Ms thing for me.

Orange white green: Côte d'Ivoire
    Green white orange: Irish flag
    I don't have a mnemonic device for it, but come on.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

If this were another administration I would think this is fine

Like if Biden had family in Indonesia and Obama offered him use of his madrassa

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It’s almost quaint to see such a small mistake compared to the usual foreign policy disasters.

Edit: In reference to the flag color tweet, not the travel plans.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular

And charging the goverment standard rates for that stay?

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Vox reporter:

Not even the end of WW2 went well for Poland, much less the start. I get nonsensical statements from Trump are probably now tedious to foreign leaders, but it is amazing how bad he is at even the easy parts of foreign relations.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Vox reporter:

Not even the end of WW2 went well for Poland, much less the start. I get nonsensical statements from Trump are probably now tedious to foreign leaders, but it is amazing how bad he is at even the easy parts of foreign relations.

Dude's never had to give a shit about anyone else in his entire life so it's unsurprising that he's clueless about this kind of shit now.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I take some small measure of joy in that some member of his team has to watch that and think to themselves “god damnit, we talked about what to say an hour ago”, and it’s all for nothing because he’s an idiot who won’t listen to anyone and is seemingly incapable of learning.

• Options
    Tarantio wrote: »

If Trump had let Pence stay for free wouldn’t that have been bribery of an elected official?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Congratulations to a country that lost 10% of its population in WWII, jesus

• Options

In the interests of fairness and full disclosure I should point out our Taoiseach picked the wrong one to tweet too once, most likely because côte d’Ivoire’s flag appears on the list before the Irish flag when you scroll through the flag emojis.

I should also point out that Varadkar has never been allowed to live this down.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    I take some small measure of joy in that some member of his team has to watch that and think to themselves “god damnit, we talked about what to say an hour ago”, and it’s all for nothing because he’s an idiot who won’t listen to anyone and is seemingly incapable of learning.

Trump seems to have learned all that he (as it directly, personally effects himself) he needs to to be a success and even win the presidency.

Which is absolutely horrifying.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Vox reporter:

https://youtu.be/PfyL4uQVJLw

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

In the interests of fairness and full disclosure I should point out our Taoiseach picked the wrong one to tweet too once, most likely because côte d’Ivoire’s flag appears on the list before the Irish flag when you scroll through the flag emojis.

I should also point out that Varadkar has never been allowed to live this down.

He'd be justified in doing it again now with Pence, and whenever Trump is in his country.
    Cause the Cote d'Ivoire flag is pretty much the Irish flag upside down.
    And an upside down flag has a specific definition that applies.
    That being "a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property".

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    American English betrays a deep love of the pseudo-portmanteau I've noticed

It's the German influence, I suspect. Just start sticking bits together, like LEGO.

LEGO is a pseudo-portmanteau of the Danish phrase Leg Godt (pronounced lie-godt) which means play well.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Sure, I think the standard rate is pledging an oath to the radical Islamic terrorists to be trained as a Muslim sleeper agent from the age of 6 to become president and institute sharia law in the US

Since Biden would be too old, I think he just needs to like bring in a canned good for donation?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    I’m cross posting this from the Hiberno-Brittanic politics thread but I forgot to mention that yes, obviously, the people of my nation did indeed protest Mike Pence’s visit to Ireland.

Did we march? Chant? Wave signs?

Heck no.

We held a gay disco outside government buildings.

RTÉ News is Ireland’s public broadcast news service.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Not content with having Pence stay at Trump’s country club and commute the three hours to Dublin every day, the White House deputy press secretary decided to use the fact that Pence *gasp* shared a meal with An Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and his same sex partner as “proof” that Pence is not in fact a raging homophobe.

"I'm not X-ist, I have X friends!"

These fucking people.

...and how much are we paying in fuel costs to ferry Pence across the country every day because Donald needs to grift us? How many rooms a night is he filling and charging the country for?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Pence isn't homophobic! He didn't stand on a chair and scream at the sight of the Taoiseach.

... Oh wait, that's arachnophobic.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Translation: Yes, the idea of the Vice President dining with a gay man prompted internal discussion about the possibility of not doing so; but he's still willing to do it, so there!

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And he didn't even excuse himself to go vomit or scrub himself clean!

• Options
    trump isn’t islamophobic cos he meets with the saudis!

The thing is they aren’t trying to convince us pence isn’t a homophobe, it’s just a common rhetorical out for his supporters.

It’s the “being called a racist is worse than racism” kind of bullshit.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Republican denials of shitty behavior are stuck in 80s/90s level because that was then they worked really fucking well.

9/11 changed a lot of shit.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

If Trump had let Pence stay for free wouldn’t that have been bribery of an elected official?

No. Pence wasn't paying, the govt was. What it would actually have been is “not fraud”. I dont think you can get impermissible gifts from your boss.

Also there is no way it was a suggestion. The denials are too specific. Trump 100% said “this is not a request its a command”

wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.