As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Horror Movie Month, Brought to You by SHUDDER®™©

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I watched the original The Hills Have Eyes last night I did not know that was a Wes Craven movie, I think that was the least likeable victim lineup in the history of movie victims

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not a big fan of either of The Hills Have Eyes movies

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    that wastes Linda Blair

that would be quite an achievement considering her level of acting

Hey, she's great in Exorcist 1 and 2 (which also had good set design, but was awful). She was also fun is Repossessed.

I cannot agree! That her performance was good in the Exorcist was thanks strictly to the director who, of course, was abusive as hell. Everything else was high school drama quality at best which, honestly, is totally serviceable.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I watched the original The Hills Have Eyes last night I did not know that was a Wes Craven movie, I think that was the least likeable victim lineup in the history of movie victims

This is completely by design since the point is that the "civilized" family just needs a nudge to become just as savage as the desert mutants terrorizing them.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Okay horror movie thread I’m having real troubles here

There was this haunted house movie from a few years back, it was on Netflix but wasn’t an original, I think it might have been foreign? British or Irish or something, I dunno

It was about a guy cleaning out or renovating his dead mother’s (grandmother’s?) home and being haunted by stuff, and I remember there being a surprisingly scary monster or ghost-thing in it, but I can’t for the life of me remember the title because it was among the most generic titles at the time

It definitely had a lady’s name in it, as in “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” or some such, and I wanna say the name began with an E, like Elizabeth maybe? The cover/poster had a stone statue of an old lady on it, and it might have included the words “House” or “Haunting” or something to that effect

I’d like to revisit it but attempting to google for terms as vague as these within a genre of film that already overuses them is impossible

So does anyone else remember this flick? Because I swear it’s going to drive me crazy until I find it again

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I absolutely hate the trend in horror to name films "The [Haunting, Possession, Exorcism, Autopsy] of [person/place]"

They all blend together and I assume they will all be awful.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

There was this haunted house movie from a few years back, it was on Netflix but wasn’t an original, I think it might have been foreign? British or Irish or something, I dunno

It was about a guy cleaning out or renovating his dead mother’s (grandmother’s?) home and being haunted by stuff, and I remember there being a surprisingly scary monster or ghost-thing in it, but I can’t for the life of me remember the title because it was among the most generic titles at the time

It definitely had a lady’s name in it, as in “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” or some such, and I wanna say the name began with an E, like Elizabeth maybe? The cover/poster had a stone statue of an old lady on it, and it might have included the words “House” or “Haunting” or something to that effect

I’d like to revisit it but attempting to google for terms as vague as these within a genre of film that already overuses them is impossible

So does anyone else remember this flick? Because I swear it’s going to drive me crazy until I find it again

Ah, The Noun of Woman's Name - it's been fairly popular lately-ish.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    The Haunting of Sharon Tate
    The Possession of Hannah Grace
    The Autopsy of Jane Doe

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Taking of Deborah Logan

• Options
    I'm not helping, but I'm just saying

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You're not talking about The Woman in Black are you?

• Options
    I swear to god I keep thinking of other women’s names and thinking that might be it and getting nothing after repeated google searches

Emily, Elizabeth, Alice, Deborah, it’s got to be one of them right???

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

Nooo, it was definitely smaller and indie-r than that, a real low budget small crew affair, but I do remember liking it and it’s going to drive me insane

I remember someone recommended it back on Screened, that old Giant Bomb sister site when they were attached to Whiskey Media, which should tell you how long ago it was

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

This is completely by design since the point is that the "civilized" family just needs a nudge to become just as savage as the desert mutants terrorizing them.

I actually really like the 2008 remake of The Hills Have Eyes. It follows most of the same beats but handles the final third of the film a bit differently by focusing more on the revenge/save the baby angle.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

In my opinion telling a story about how your dog attacked and killed another dog and laughing about it is worse than kidnapping and eating people

• Options
    Hills Have Eyes is far from my favorite Wes Craven joint and the remake was way better.

Michael Berryman is a pretty awesome dude though.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The Taking of Deborah Logan

that scene at the end, you know which one, the cave one, spooped me good and made me like a movie I was lukewarm on

I remember watching this movie during one of my Netflix horror binges! The mom had a like, shrine in her house and there was indeed a scary monster Gollum thing.

I don't remember the name of it, so that doesn't help. sorry!

• Options

Nooo, it was definitely smaller and indie-r than that, a real low budget small crew affair, but I do remember liking it and it’s going to drive me insane

I remember someone recommended it back on Screened, that old Giant Bomb sister site when they were attached to Whiskey Media, which should tell you how long ago it was

The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The closest I am getting from that description is The Pact, which fails to meet several of your parameters, but I like it a lot and that's what I keep going back to.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Oh my god I've seen that poster so many times on so many streaming services over the years

I don't remember if I've ever watched it, but it's such a distinct image in my brain

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Oh my god I've seen that poster so many times on so many streaming services over the years

I don't remember if I've ever watched it, but it's such a distinct image in my brain

It's a real good movie.

• Options

Holy shit you nailed it

I will watch this tonight, I don’t even care if it’s good, I’m just glad I remember what the fuck it’s called

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

Holy shit you nailed it

'Course I did, I got three Ikea shelves full of the classiest horror films! the classiest

meet the hollowheads is TOO classy, you hush inner dialogue

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I looked up Channel Zero before watching the first episode and was surprised to learn that though it is set in Ohio, it was largely filmed in Manitoba.

There is a bird's eye establishing shot of the town the guy is driving to and it seemed very familiar to me.

And then there is a shot of him walking down a street at night with a neon movie theatre sign behind him and it turns out that hey some of this show is filmed in a town I grew up in! Weird!

They even got the town tooth boy monster in the show!

Pretty wild.

• Options
    Starting Apostle for movie 10 which is already down half a mark because I thought it had Ray Stevenson and not Dan Stevens.

• Options
    Tonight I'm watching Night of the Comet

• Options
    Starting Apostle for movie 10 which is already down half a mark because I thought it had Ray Stevenson and not Dan Stevens.

This like some sort of golf scoring?

• Options

Haha this ruled

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

Haha this ruled

it rules but it's a christmas movie!!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    What are you the Christmas Cop

• Options
    yes

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    see i had to tell you i was a cop

otherwise it would be entrapment

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Watched Head of the Family tonight, and next up on autoplay was Megamind

Like Tubi's algorithm had determined that the reason I watched Head of the Family is that I'm just really into huge heads

• Options
    aren't you

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Watched Head of the Family tonight, and next up on autoplay was Megamind

Like Tubi's algorithm had determined that the reason I watched Head of the Family is that I'm just really into huge heads

Based on your history, may we suggest: Pumpkinhead, Eraserhead, Coneheads, Alien, The Incredibles, Mars Attacks, E.T., IT, Peyton Manning's All-Time Highlights

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

This like some sort of golf scoring?

Hey, sometimes the infernal machine I plug these statistics into prefers broad and crazy over talented and capable of restraint. What can I say?

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Pumpkinhead was last night's Halloween movie.

I'd never seen it before.

Pumpkinhead is a cool looking monster.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Pumpkinhead is great!

Also I went and watched Birdbox. It's good! I love Sandra Bullock though I'd watch her read a newspaper and call it a great movie.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Hey!! One cut of the dead fuckin rules!!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I liked birdbox quite a bit though it does ask an awful lot of its audience as far as willingness not to ask questions

I'm basically the dumbest and most credulous movie watcher so it worked for me