As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am still so bad at this game, and still learning how to play PC FPSes i general but.... HOLY FUCKING SHIT

BdDQCUX.png?1

Win with Randoms where I actually did shit and didn't feel fully carried. Holy crap. This is a new feeling.

I would like to thank @TeknoXI for some general gun advice, especially Peacekeper, and some strafing/aiming advice.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And multiple 2nd places since then. Those hurt.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i suddenly remembered this game existed and i logged on and suddenly realised they GUTTED the movement

i was gonna make an advanced movement tutorial but then i forgot :<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1_8JNedBXo&amp;feature=youtu.be

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I got a Longbow kill from 264m away the other night. Now if only I could manage that sort of accuracy at range on the regular...

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/fight-or-fright-collection-event?isLocalized=true
    Experience Kings Canyon at Night in an All-New Limited Time Mode - Shadowfall

Darkness descends on Kings Canyon in Shadowfall, a warped version of the Apex games hosted by a mysterious figure.

At the start of a match, you and 34 other solo players will drop into an eerily-lit Kings Canyon and fight to the death… with a dark twist. Once you die you will respawn as an undead version of your Legend and join the powerful “Shadow Squad”.

As part of the Shadow Squad, you will lose your ability to use weapons and your legend abilities will be stripped, but in return, you will be given increased movement and jump speed, along with a brutal melee attack. You’ll also have the ability to scale walls and be given unlimited respawns via skydive.

The battle rages until there are only ten living Legends left, who must then join forces and make it to an evac ship while the Shadow Squad attempts to stop them at all costs.

Sounds fun!

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Started playing this again on a whim. Haven't played since it first came out on ps4. Having a pretty good time though I am still mostly butts at shooting fools. I tend to prefer Pathfinder or Bangs, but I had a surprising win as Caustic earlier as a two-man after out third dropped right at the beginning. I just sprinted after this guy for 20 minutes trying to keep up. Then this happened:
    (Pay no attention to my horrible aim!)

It says I got 2 kills but I only remember that one at the end. Easily one of the chillest wins ever. We saw basically nobody until the end.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This Shadowfall thing looks fun AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3upqj3z0iLM

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    "I'm Octane's legs" gets a sensible chuckle.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Event starts tomorrow by the way. I'm excited to try it out!

• Options
    Hm. Every infection gamemode since Halo: Reach's has been insufficiently like Halo: Reach's for my tastes, and this is no exception.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    In true Apex fashion my first Shadowfall game as a Legend ended after I got my second kill and immediately got third-partied.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Shadow fall is interesting, but highly dependent on the players' patience. First few games, the shadows stayed and made getting to the evac really difficult, but later games, maybe half the shadows stayed and it was pretty difficult to get the remaining Legends down

• Options
    The mode is fun but half-baked. I love the idea.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm getting the hang of being a shadow monster, but I still need to win a match as a Legend. I do not enjoy solo gun battles.

• Options
    So the EVA-8 seems pretty great for fighting shadows. Normally it's pretty overshadowed by the Peacekeeper's range and alpha, but with how fast shadows close in and how little health they have, those traits of the peacekeeper are kinda overkill and the EVA-8's rate of fire and ease of use become really handy.
    If you can get your hands on an anvil receiver, an R-301 or Flatline seem like they could be pretty great anti-shadow weapons as well, though ones that are a bit more reliant on your aim being on point. Semi-auto with those with the anvil receiver will one-shot to the body against shadows.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Got my Legend win in this morning diving into the extracton ground from the rough cliffs inside the Airbase walls. Sure feels like a lot of people are treating running to the waypoint as the only thing they need to do, rather than fighting off shadows.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Got my Legend win in this morning diving into the extracton ground from the rough cliffs inside the Airbase walls. Sure feels like a lot of people are treating running to the waypoint as the only thing they need to do, rather than fighting off shadows.

the ultimate flaw of the mode is that you're punished for fighting, it paints a giant target on you. The strongest strategy is to hide and just hope not to see anyone

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

the ultimate flaw of the mode is that you're punished for fighting, it paints a giant target on you. The strongest strategy is to hide and just hope not to see anyone

Right, woth the follow-through that most everyone is playing Pathfinder, Octane, or Wraith to mitigate that w/ mobility, though I did see peopke having some success w/ Wattson fortifying near the drop.

• Options

Right, woth the follow-through that most everyone is playing Pathfinder, Octane, or Wraith to mitigate that w/ mobility, though I did see peopke having some success w/ Wattson fortifying near the drop.
    Mirage's ult with its cloak is good too.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Octane might be a bad idea, depending on whether or not hitting the juice drops you to one-shot territory even with a blue shield or not

Pathfinder lets you have perfectly safe zip lines unless a shadow was lucky enough to be standing at the exit pole location

Mirage ult is clutch

Wattson can basically just hole up in a medium sized building on a staircase with fences and be unkillable by shadows as long as they have ammo.

Everyone else is definitely a tier below those 3

• Options
    ronzo wrote: »
    Octane might be a bad idea, depending on whether or not hitting the juice drops you to one-shot territory even with a blue shield or not

Pathfinder lets you have perfectly safe zip lines unless a shadow was lucky enough to be standing at the exit pole location

Mirage ult is clutch

Wattson can basically just hole up in a medium sized building on a staircase with fences and be unkillable by shadows as long as they have ammo.

Everyone else is definitely a tier below those 3

I'm enjoying the mini-Renaissance for the Wingman as well.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    Shadow fall is interesting, but highly dependent on the players' patience. First few games, the shadows stayed and made getting to the evac really difficult, but later games, maybe half the shadows stayed and it was pretty difficult to get the remaining Legends down

I don't know why you would even play a zombie mode if you intend to quit as soon as you become a zombie. That's half the fun.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    asofyeun wrote: »

I don't know why you would even play a zombie mode if you intend to quit as soon as you become a zombie. That's half the fun.
    There is that challenge to get shadow kills. Plus, sometimes you just want to fight shadows for the gameplay of that.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Once you learn the drops, Caustic is also solid at camping in the nearest building to the ship. Might be a little sketchy timing your final push on the way out but you probably shouldn't die before then with the gas slowdown and chip damage helping you.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I want to prevent other people from making mistake:

Take a hard look at your mouse sensitivity when you play on PC.

I switched about a month ago, and just left the settings at default.
    Last week I turned this down by a factor of 3:
    From 4.1 to 1.4. This corresponds to about 1.5 360 degree spins using my whole mouse area, on a 2000cpi mouse.

This has changed a lot for me.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's crazy how much new content the Halloween event and new map add. I'm in love all over.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I was really pumped for duos, which dropped yesterday. However, there's no game mode rewards at all. When given the choice between duos and playing ranked, my buddy and I would rather duo drop in ranked and keep grinding out that ELO. Hmm.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

From 4.1 to 1.4. This corresponds to about 1.5 360 degree spins using my whole mouse area, on a 2000cpi mouse.

What I did was, take a game you already play (overwatch, cod, titanfall, whatever), and literally measure on a piece of paper how much distance your mouse moves while making a 360 turn.

Then go to Apex and fiddle with the sensitivity until your mouse moves about the same distance in a 360.

Because yes, this game's default mouse settings are ... a bit touchy.

I've recently reinstalled this game! Because I guess I need to be reminded how bad my aim is on a regular basis? But my season K/D ratio is now consistently above 0.5, which is quite a bit better than my overall K/D, so I must be improving...

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »

What I did was, take a game you already play (overwatch, cod, titanfall, whatever), and literally measure on a piece of paper how much distance your mouse moves while making a 360 turn.

Then go to Apex and fiddle with the sensitivity until your mouse moves about the same distance in a 360.

Because yes, this game's default mouse settings are ... a bit touchy.

I've recently reinstalled this game! Because I guess I need to be reminded how bad my aim is on a regular basis? But my season K/D ratio is now consistently above 0.5, which is quite a bit better than my overall K/D, so I must be improving...

I was absolute trash early on in this due to super-high sensitivity. I want to say they fiddled with or recalibrated it behind the scenes in the preseas9n at least. Been better since I cranked it down for sure.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    i just got carried by a guy

i did an okay 570 as wraith, next person did 490 as bangalore

but the lifeline that carried us did 3584 damage

i guess i should learn to use the peacekeeper and wingman better, huh

• Options
    I managed to snag the full golden set of armor! Not sure if I've done that before.
    rIBmPqUl.png

• Options
    Oh cool, they implemented the training mode with all the attachments and characters. I didn't notice until this that it seems like they've taken out skullpiercer and disruptor rounds.

• Options
    It can be fun fighting Caustic as Crypto, because when he and his team are in smoke they can't see your drone hovering outside of it. You get situations where he's got gas all around his team's positions to defend them, but it just ends up with him and his team unable to see you sitting outside their smoke while you can see them inside it perfectly thanks to your drone marking them.

• Options
    https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/progression-changes

The level cap will increase from 100 to 500 and players will gain more loot boxes.

The leveling changes are retroactive up to 100, so anyone at 100 right now will immediately have the few extra loot boxes added to the 0-100 path.

• Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    I... really shouldn't have won this. Can't believe they let me self-revive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaO9l5rhsWI

• Options
    Only downed two and so figured there was a third instead of a gold shield, I guess.

• Options
    New event is cool. King of the Hill sort of deal, just three teams, spawn in already geared up with the loadout depending on the character, and you either have to capture the hill located on the train or wipe the other teams. Win three rounds of that to win the match. I've wanted a fast paced match type sort of like that for a while now.

• Options
    I got the Gibby holiday skin. I'm a big ole bear.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Oh, the loadouts change. Daily, I guess? Octane's one today is really good. A turbocharged Havoc and a wingman. So you've got the highest DPS AR in the game, and a solid high-alpha long-range weapon with sidearm handling. And then of course Octane's speed boost is a good ability for this event.

cB557 on
  • Options
    The event is really fun, but the fact that it barely contributes to the season and doesn't contribute to daily quests in any way is definitely frustrating. Since seasonal progress is still important to me it steers me away from the event, now that I have the candycane gun charm.