Options

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Getting Brimstone as the first relic is all kinds of nasty. Easily cruised to a A7 win on the Ironclad.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Just cleared A3 on Ironclad / Silent / Defect ! It took 197 hours but I'm starting to get the hang of Slay the Spire

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    0d7cifuvn8kd.png

I've never been able to make the "Discard Silent" build work, even when I was getting all of the synergy cards offered. Just not enough scaling to handle the second boss. It's a neat concept, but I still feel it is missing something to give it that last bit of punch. Like, I had x2 energy gain, x2 free damage, x1 card draw, multiple cycle cards, Tools of the Trade, adn Runic Pyramid and still couldn't make it work.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Tingsha/Sundial probably would have helped.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Tingsha/Sundial probably would have helped.

Bandages is the good one ime.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Knew I was forgetting one.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    But really the good one is letter opener?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Traded my starting relic for runic dome and was like, "fuck it, I guess I'll stack block" which turned out nicely when I found calipers and bought bronze scales.

8racx7pczpdz.jpg
    ldaki24jiy46.jpg

5 stacks of echoform on the boss helped too

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Is there a reason you didn't kill either shape first, or was that just random orb procs?

Cause, you should totally kill one of the two first instead of bringing them both down to ~10 before killing either

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    90% of my damage was from bronze scales and orb strikes.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    They could make it so you have no choice about your Act I or II boss, but Act III you could route to two different bosses depending on the deck type you’ve assembled over two whole acts. Or at least let you see the maps for all three acts at the start of the game so you can plan for it.

See, i dont agree the bosses are hard counters. i will agree they LOOK like hard counters, and that's a design flaw in the game.

But Time Eater and Awoken One are actually testing the same thing: Output. They just test it on two different axis. Time Eater cares that every single card you play has sufficient output to be worht it. You cannot spam a bunch of weak, low impact cards. Awoken One flips this around somewhat - Awoken One demands that every power you play be a significant increase to your output, and has baseline stats sufficient enough that you need some level of extra scaling to actually defeat awoken one. (Donu & Deca test output of your scaling, but are so close to the a4 elites that if you're going to act 4, you're often already setup to beat them - hence why theyre the "Easiest" fight)

But that's the thing - you can totally overwhelm their scaling. I've beaten an awoken one who had 50+ strength on A20, because my deck was just THAT GOOD at playing powers and overruning his scaling with said powers. Like @TheStig mentions, you can also crush Time Eater when you have decks that can just play 12 cards every turn. OR shut him down with a 12 card combo that kills him in a couple of turns (Deadly Poison into Nightmare, Cata, Cata, Cata, Cata is usually enough to end the fight, Watcher has similar Vigilance, Fasting, Eruption, Infuriate, Ragnarok approaches)

I will agree that Time Eater is not the most fun fight - it's very hard to keep track of the reset, and the reset can be a real feel bad moment. I've not really got any clever ideas on how to fix that.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Welll, i'm genuinely kinda shocked this deck won A20 because it was some cruddy crud on crud-flavoured toast.
    E5810FA6FAF30E8A43A92DDBB624431F3E8695A465AB0B029E933BC0990250840A7C41AB81A83361

Okay, so it was actually sorta decent, but it's scaling engine SUCKED. Thankfully, when you can make ???? amounts of intangible, your scaling being awful matters less. Only took it 19 turns to kill the heart, that's no big right? Took 49 damage during the fight, came out at 44 hp, so bites doing work. As did Singing Bowl - 64 max hp by the end of the game. Genuinely expected the deck to get throguh act 3 fine and just wipe out in a4, but some very lucky draws on elites and the heart let me slip through.

Went early gold, shop let me buy Hand of Greed, hand of Greed let me buy... honestly not a lot. Clockwork and Kunai were the big pickups, and i missed Bronze Scales in act 4 - should have been more active on using it late act 3. Icecream was very much a nonbo with 3 skewers but hey. Cant win em all. Never got to lift with Giryia, but that's fine - Giriya would have accelerated the scaling and not much else. Shave a turn or two off from a very dwadly deck is No big deal frankly. Bosses were Donu & Deca -> Awoken One. Donua/Deca were a lot more stressful, since it took so, so long to kill Deca. (15 turn fight vs them is a LONG fight).

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    This game has been on my wishlist since it came out. They, uh...seem pretty firm on the price. But for the last few months, I buy games, install them, play them for 15 minutes, think "Well this seems interesting" and then play Minion Masters. Like every damn time. Any chance this is the game that breaks the cycle?

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    This game has been on my wishlist since it came out. They, uh...seem pretty firm on the price. But for the last few months, I buy games, install them, play them for 15 minutes, think "Well this seems interesting" and then play Minion Masters. Like every damn time. Any chance this is the game that breaks the cycle?

Depends! This game can be, uhh.... super addicting :P

Do you like Roguelikes? Deckbuilders? It's basically the top game in that combo-genre, very well made and balanced. It can sometimes seem really harsh initially, unfair or too random or whatever, but I feel like that's often the case in Roguelikes (or maybe that's just me....). And then once you get into the swing of things you realize how foolish your past self was being :P

But anyways, I give this a very strong recommendation. If you think it at all may be interesting, you owe it to yourself to try it out. one of the best games released in the past couple years imo.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I don't know what minion masters is, but

this game is MY minion masters (was previously FTL, until slay the spire)

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I don't like rogue-likes, or card games, but I am oddly addicted to Slay the Spire.

Apparently I have a previously unknown masochistic streak, when I enjoy piling misery upon misery.

I'm at the point where I'm convinced the AI is designed to drive people insane with rage and frustration..

• Options
    I love roguelikes AND card games (ADoM + ToME + Hearthstone would all definitely make my top 10 of all time). Haven't loved the combo yet. Bounced off the Cultist Simulator and that iOS pirate CCG roguelike, both of which were really good, but just . . . didn't get their hooks into me. I think I like the permanent collection bit of CCGs, but..."Oddly addicted" sounds promising. I think I'll have to give this a shot.

@Burtletoy - Minion Masters is a CCG+MOBA(a genre I nearly hate, btw) hybrid F2P game on Steam. There doesn't seem to be a thread on PA about it, which I find sort of mind-blowing.

• Options
    Minion Masters looks like a Clash Royale clone. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just doesn't look all that unique.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Noxious Fumes has carried me to victory in my last two silent runs unlocking Accession 6/7. The last one was hilariously strong, I picked up an After Image early which I thought wouldn't be that good but I upgraded it, copied it and filled the rest of my deck with backflip, blur and bonus energy. With 2xNoxious Fumes + 1 deadly poison as my only offensive cards, I could reliably generate 50-60 block a turn. Couldn't have done it if I had to actually spend energy on attacks but being able to have my offense slowly but inevitably scale allowed me to have one of the easiest runs I've ever had.

Noxious Fumes *salutes*

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Minion Masters looks like a Clash Royale clone. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just doesn't look all that unique.

Wow--based on the screenshots, I would 100% agree with that assessment. Oh...ha...And so does Tycho, apparently:
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2017/12/22/the-worst-day-of-christmas-part-one

• Options
    Korror wrote: »
    Noxious Fumes has carried me to victory in my last two silent runs unlocking Accession 6/7. The last one was hilariously strong, I picked up an After Image early which I thought wouldn't be that good but I upgraded it, copied it and filled the rest of my deck with backflip, blur and bonus energy. With 2xNoxious Fumes + 1 deadly poison as my only offensive cards, I could reliably generate 50-60 block a turn. Couldn't have done it if I had to actually spend energy on attacks but being able to have my offense slowly but inevitably scale allowed me to have one of the easiest runs I've ever had.

Noxious Fumes *salutes*

Noxious Fumes is my #1 favorite card in the game

Steam profile
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Finally got a couple of ascension wins. Silent with all the shivs and ironclad with lots of inflames, a pummel, a boomerang and heavy blades.

• Options
    I got the third act with the Silent on A20 yesterday, but lost to the shapes. The build was Shiv focused with Thousand Cuts, After Image, Panache, and Noxious Fumes. I couldn’t scale fast enough to survive. Had I gotten another Footwork and/or Accuracy I think I could have beaten them. Oh well...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Finally got a couple of ascension wins. Silent with all the shivs and ironclad with lots of inflames, a pummel, a boomerang and heavy blades.

Awesome!

Quick tip on strength stuff: Pummel/Boomerang/Heavy Blade are best on decks that are doing strength scaling. However, if you're doing INSANE strength scaling - and by this i mean the sort of limit break headbutt end up with 50+ strength bullshit, all of those cards drop off in value massively. Why? because at that point even your strikes are doing 50+ damage. And you simply dont need to one shot things 99% of the time. (it IS funny though, and i hgihgly recommend everyone gets to kill wokebloke with a 1k heavy blade at least once in their life).

Generally not something that comes up, but it's the sort of thing that's worth keeping in mind. (Have i mentioned i love the subtleties of drafting in this game?)

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    An upgraded Heavy Strike was doing 114 damage at the end of the Act 3 boss, so I guess it wasn’t insane. Killed the rat thing one turn before it would have killed me, finishing off its second phase in one round with a pummel and two heavy strikes.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    An upgraded Heavy Strike was doing 114 damage at the end of the Act 3 boss, so I guess it wasn’t insane. Killed the rat thing one turn before it would have killed me, finishing off its second phase in one round with a pummel and two heavy strikes.

Yeah, That's still at the point where you're getting a good return on Heavy Blade - 114 damage is what, you had an extra 20 strength or so? Which is a good amount, but it's not I AM MUSCLE WIZARD I CAST PUNCH LEVELS. Like at that point ,your strike does 26 damage. I'm talking about the point where your strike is doing 56 damage, and your heavy Blade is what, 250 damage? At that point, the difference is a lot less, as werid as that may sound - You'll win easily when you can make strike do 50 damage.

(I think, generally at a20, when you can do 200 damage with a card... stop worrying about doing damage. You have better things to be doing with your energy).

But again, i always preach that you only need so much offence.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Been in a rut for awhile trying to improve my A20 game as Defect. Thought I go back and work on silent for a bit (was at A15). It is a refreshing change of pace, but it really feels as if silent is so touch and go on the first few floors if you can't get some kind of poison. I dunno, maybe having gotten the first act down pretty well as Defect has skewed by evaluations of some cards. /shrug. Now up to A19 as silent though, but I think all but one of those wins were with the donut boss, and having corpse explosion on that boss kinda feels like cheating. :wink:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Been in a rut for awhile trying to improve my A20 game as Defect. Thought I go back and work on silent for a bit (was at A15). It is a refreshing change of pace, but it really feels as if silent is so touch and go on the first few floors if you can't get some kind of poison. I dunno, maybe having gotten the first act down pretty well as Defect has skewed by evaluations of some cards. /shrug. Now up to A19 as silent though, but I think all but one of those wins were with the donut boss, and having corpse explosion on that boss kinda feels like cheating. :wink:

Poison helps, but dont sleep on stuff like Dagger Throw, Unload, Glass Knife, All Out Attack, etc early. Like Poison's thing is that it's great, great scaling. And sometimes you just get the dream of early poison stab into deadly poison into noxious fumes and catalyst (or similar). But Silent has plenty of solid-to-good attacks, and those are what will get you through the early elites.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Noxious Fumes *salutes*

There's something to be said for "no your poison counter never goes down" especially in long fights.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Noxious Fumes *salutes*

There's something to be said for "no your poison counter never goes down" especially in long fights.

That and it's one of the best artifact strippers in the game (Super relevant in the heart fight). Always remember to upgrade it though, due to the way poison scales 3 poison per turn is way, way better than 2 per turn. Ironically though, multiple noxious fumes arent anywhere near as great. (Though a second copy to get it into play reliably is nice. Past that i think they drop in value immensely, though 4x Noxious Fumes+ is some funny shit if you can pull it off)

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Man this game got brutal on the higher ascension levels. I'm at 18/16/18, and some of these event/hallway changes are downright mean.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    c97i9scf7l75.png

That's a pretty good turn 1.

Look at all the fucking synergies. My turn 1 damage output was bonkers. Bag of Marbles, x3 Backstab, x3 Shiv meant about 80 damage, alongside 2 STR and DEX scaling. Bites + Bird Urn kept me topped off.

9i0nn268nsf0.png

Run was absolutely crushing up until I hit x3 Jaw Worm (all in attack mode on turn 1) on Act 3. I fucking loathe Jaw Worm. I would have cruised to the end. My turn 1 damage output was consistent and insane. I even would have survived if either 1) A single Jaw Worm wasn't attacking, 2) I drew any defense card, 3) I hadn't taken 20 damage the battle prior from the Writhing Mass asshole.

Looking back, I should have taken the no-Smithing Relic instead of the Philosopher's Stone. I was concerned about my Block scaling so I wanted to be able to upgrade my Footworks. First shop on Act 3 had Kunai which changed everything.

Oh well, that's StS for you.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Man this game got brutal on the higher ascension levels. I'm at 18/16/18, and some of these event/hallway changes are downright mean.

17/18 is when it gets really brutal yeah

Steam profile
  • Options
    Jaw worm horde is the WORST. I sometimes find myself keeping a smoke bomb just for that fight. "oh, hullo assholes. NOPE"

Writhe probably wasn't doing you any favours either, sadly =(

• Options
    Jaw worm horde is the WORST. I sometimes find myself keeping a smoke bomb just for that fight. "oh, hullo assholes. NOPE"

Writhe probably wasn't doing you any favours either, sadly =(

Yeah, I got Writhe like two spaces prior because there was a shop right after those innocent looking "?" and regular battle spaces. Sigh...

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Noxious Fumes *salutes*

That and it's one of the best artifact strippers in the game (Super relevant in the heart fight). Always remember to upgrade it though, due to the way poison scales 3 poison per turn is way, way better than 2 per turn. Ironically though, multiple noxious fumes arent anywhere near as great. (Though a second copy to get it into play reliably is nice. Past that i think they drop in value immensely, though 4x Noxious Fumes+ is some funny shit if you can pull it off)

Okay...I'm playing now. I'm glad I checked, if nothing for the noxious fumes comments :) It's one of the first cards I was offered, so I snapped it up. And I got some artifact that applies poison whenever I do, so I was applying 4 per turn. I still died early on though. Too many fights without the potential to heal.

• Options
    MadPen wrote: »

Noxious Fumes *salutes*

Okay...I'm playing now. I'm glad I checked, if nothing for the noxious fumes comments :) It's one of the first cards I was offered, so I snapped it up. And I got some artifact that applies poison whenever I do, so I was applying 4 per turn. I still died early on though. Too many fights without the potential to heal.

Congradulations, you've discovered the my real purpose: providing unasked for commentary and tips on StS!

Sounds like the real issue was you just werent able to establish your defences fast enough to keep yourself alive.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I beat A20 with the Ironclad, and crashed out on the Act 3 bosses a few times with the Silent. Think I’ve done all I need to do with the game until the 4th character comes to Switch.

• Options
    Ragnarok, Reach Heaven and Signature Move in a deck with necronomicon is pretty good

• Options
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I beat A20 with the Ironclad, and crashed out on the Act 3 bosses a few times with the Silent. Think I’ve done all I need to do with the game until the 4th character comes to Switch.

When they did the defect, it went live, basically, a couple days after all the Beta cards had real art updated.

As someone playing the beta...its getting very close. Maybe another week.

I don't know if the switch update will be as quick as the steam release, but its coming soon!