Options

It's a good [job] thread, Elmo

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    As I understand it, no. Beautification only. No construction, demolition, or remodeling.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I kind of wished the managers appreciate what my assistant and I do for them

Today is payroll. I remind everyone several times to approve timesheets. I also added it to a group calendar. I added employees’ 60 day, 6 month and annual review dates (when they get raises) to a calendar and I also remind the managers each time plus remind them of the paperwork due at these milestones. The other day I realized I had left an employee off my master list and had missed his 60 day raise. I called the manager to let them know I’d be calculating in retro pay on the next paycheck (bearing in mind the manager is supposed to maintain their own review schedule) and they weren’t even aware their employee had been there that long, or that they had missed 2 reviews.

Then I reminded everyone to submit expenses.

I mean, I could stop sending reminders but it’d only screw over the employees. I could definitely stop reminding people to submit expenses though...

You are 100% doing multiple other peoples jobs. Are these managers your direct reports and you have disciplinary powers over them? Cause whoever does should be ensuring they do all their paperwork.

Do you have an HR Dept? Cause they should be making sure everyone gets their reviews.

Like What do the big boss guys do and do they have an intermediate manager? (Like a District Manager sort of position, or a Director of Operations)

If they are relying on you for all of these things, sounds to me like a title change and monetary boost is in order

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Somewhere between mid-afternoon saturday and early morning sunday, my secondary wallet kind of took itself off somewhere. I'm hoping I just sort of chucked it out of my pocket at home and it landed somewhere stupid, because the alternative is that somebody yoinked it out of my locker at the gym (and yeah I shouldn't have brought it with me to the gym, but it was in my coat pocket and I vagued out. Also it's a gym for fucking Harvard Law students, if one of them is stealing my wallet chock full of about $25 then we're going to need to have a serious conversation about needs and wealth redistribution).

Update: it was on top of my bedroom drawers. The last place any right thinking human would ever look.

Harvard law are off the hook this time, I guess.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I have gigabyte internet, a powerful gaming pc, an xbone, a switch, and a VR system. What am I doing with my evening? Re-seasoning my cast iron skillet.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Somewhere between mid-afternoon saturday and early morning sunday, my secondary wallet kind of took itself off somewhere. I'm hoping I just sort of chucked it out of my pocket at home and it landed somewhere stupid, because the alternative is that somebody yoinked it out of my locker at the gym (and yeah I shouldn't have brought it with me to the gym, but it was in my coat pocket and I vagued out. Also it's a gym for fucking Harvard Law students, if one of them is stealing my wallet chock full of about $25 then we're going to need to have a serious conversation about needs and wealth redistribution).

Update: it was on top of my bedroom drawers. The last place any right thinking human would ever look.

Harvard law are off the hook this time, I guess.

People look at me funny when I talk about my primary wallet (2 payment cards + ID) and my secondary wallet (everything else). I'm glad there are others like me.

• Options
    Yeah I have a slimline card pocket that takes one credit card, my bus pass, and my drivers license. It fits in any pocket, is easy to take eg. running or hiking, and I can slap it down on the bus machine without digging around in my bag.

Cash and other cards go in a larger folding wallet which I rarely need to deal with, which is also why it took me a few hours yesterday to realise I didn’t have it on me.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    You're my wallet soul mate.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    As I understand it, no. Beautification only. No construction, demolition, or remodeling.

Does free plastic surgery for all students count? That will burn their endowment quick.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Does free plastic surgery for all students count? That will burn their endowment quick.

Counts as structural changes, so no. Tattoos would be fair game.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In Wallets I really feel there needs to be a class or something to show people. I am fine with many wallets just Velcro is not good nor is duct tape

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I really need to get a new wallet. My current one is currently half-disintegrated from too many years of wear

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »

At what point could a tattoo be designated a mural?

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »

At what point could a tattoo be designated a mural?

Depends full arms and back?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Also today is one of those days where I'm fucking staring at the same figure for like a fucking hour, feeling like I'm trying to conceptualize the multiverse

Or that I'm just an idiot. That could be it, too.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigh
    I think I was disqualification from getting Unemployement. I will have to call and find out for sure. If so then I wasted 5 months of arguing with them. It's just sad I have looked for a job and ran into silence. But the only one hiring is the hell known to men Wal mart and I don't want to go back
    This is basically the problem I had in july of 07 that lead me to here all over again and there is no where to go this time

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Unability to properly read became migrain in upper left quadrent.

Called out and slept till close to midnight

So 2330 minus 1010

12 hours?

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    When I'm a dead millionaire I'm ensure that all of my money is withdrawn in the smallest bills possible and used as the platform for my funeral pyre.

If you put me in charge I will ensure this happens. Yup. Guaranteed. No doubt. Yes sir. Totally will happen.

No pick me! Tim sounds untrustworthy. I will absolutely guarantee that a funeral pyre is built out of personal checks in the amount of $0.01 equal to your fortune.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I really need to get a new wallet. My current one is currently half-disintegrated from too many years of wear

Me too. I'm running into the problem that I don't really know where to buy a wallet, or what makes a good wallet. The last one I bought was from a leather goods store in Australia, and the one before that was a velcro wallet from Hot Topic with a picture of Timmy from South Park on it.

Somebody from Australia should just send me another wallet, this one had a pretty good two-decade run.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Officially listed on schedule as supervisor.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @Jedoc I have a "recycled firefighter" wallet. I think I found it on huckberry, it is made of old fire hose and seems very durable

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Now how much money do we need to rename Reagan Airport?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

I will ask!

(I won't ask)

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I will ask!

(I won't ask)

I would think that if you want to benefit the institution you would have to beautify the staff, not the students. Free tats, tat removal, haircuts and manicures for the admin staff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Me too. I'm running into the problem that I don't really know where to buy a wallet, or what makes a good wallet. The last one I bought was from a leather goods store in Australia, and the one before that was a velcro wallet from Hot Topic with a picture of Timmy from South Park on it.

Somebody from Australia should just send me another wallet, this one had a pretty good two-decade run.

I have recently been using a Ridge wallet clone. It was like $12 on Amazon. Compact, holds my debit card, one credit card and my ID plus a couple of misc things. There's a money clip on the back which I use to hold my key-chain form factor gym membership card. It's great, doesn't slide out of my pocket like the aluminum wallets do. I use one of those to hold all my other stuff and leave it at home mostly, so yay secondary wallet. Anyway. Ridge style wallet.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Fishman do you have any helpful guides or documentation for this kind of compliance? I've done some research on my own and know, for example, that Microsoft has a free accessibility test application, but can't seem to find a lot of concrete information outside of the WCAG website itself.

Inquisitor77 I've only picked this up recently, so while I'm doing well, there's a lot of people out there who know far more than me, but I can tell you what we did to turn this around from 400+ known issues to none in less than a year.

I think the easiest way to start is with accessibility assessment tools. There's a heap out there, but we used WAVE and aXe as our primary assessment tools - both have chrome extensions, and allow you to just click a button and get a report on what's broken on your webpage in the browser. We also used Lighthouse, which includes some accessibility in its testing. They aren't perfect, will miss a few things / find false positives, but you can go from their reports directly to the WCAG standards and then start learning what those standards mean in practical terms. The 'Understanding [success criteria]' links in the WCAG documentation are really useful once you actually have a reported issue in front of you.

Once you've got the reported issues stuff down, and you're beginning to understand how the testable criteria work, you begin to get a sense of how all the other criteria work as well. For 2.0, there's only 36 Success Criteria to meet the AA standard, which isn't actually all that many once you get a handle on how they work. For WCAG 2.1, there's another 14 more Success Criteria, but most of the new ones are easily digested as they're mostly just 'phones exist too'.

Note that automated testing tools will only ever find something like 20-40% of accessibility issues. However, even just knocking out the issues reported by these tools will put you in a much better place for accessibility. What they do do is give you that really good place to start and learn and improve from. You can even automate accessibility testing - aXe make their library available, and one of my next tasks is to try and integrate that into our test scripts in React / Jest; other tools like Pa11y can also be integrated into automated build scripts also, depending on your technology base.

Getting from the tools to reports to WCAG to knowledgeable required pulling on additional resources, blogs, talks, links, but there's a pretty good network of people out there, many of whom are only all to glad to share what they know to make the internet better. Where I am, there's even open accessibility sessions run by the government department in charge of web standards where you can drop in with any question, any issue and if they can't directly help you they'll try and get you in touch with a person or group who can.

Anyway, that's how I did it and I hope it's useful to you. If you have more questions or want more specifics, I'll try to answer as best I can.

@Fishman

It's amazing what having dedicated compliance folks can do. We get to tell all our vendors how they are screwing up, and consider accessibility from day one. :)

Our wifi networking guy for the campus is reporting that these are coming online this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1E9Vp1Thk

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I got a slimfold wallet. They are really slim and last a long time.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »

I will ask!

(I won't ask)

I would think that if you want to benefit the institution you would have to beautify the staff, not the students. Free tats, tat removal, haircuts and manicures for the admin staff.

... I support this interpretation.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    @Jedoc I have a "recycled firefighter" wallet. I think I found it on huckberry, it is made of old fire hose and seems very durable

I have one of those as well. So far it's holding up very well. About the only negative things about it is my particular one doesn't appear to be designed to comfortably carry cash. The billfold area is super tight and US currency barely fits into it, so that part's annoying. But it's holding together very well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ2CDO5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Now how much money do we need to rename Reagan Airport?

9 years of living within 2.5 miles of that airport and I never actually heard anyone call it that. Most people just call it "National." So maybe we can have a gofundme to just officially call it that.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Been using a Swiss Alpine wallet for several years, works fine.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Sigh
    I think I was disqualification from getting Unemployement. I will have to call and find out for sure. If so then I wasted 5 months of arguing with them. It's just sad I have looked for a job and ran into silence. But the only one hiring is the hell known to men Wal mart and I don't want to go back
    This is basically the problem I had in july of 07 that lead me to here all over again and there is no where to go this time

Sell the house and move. I know it sucks leaving a place but if there is nothing left why stay? Your obviously a super hard worker and a vet, theres probably hundreds of companies across the nation that could really use your skills.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

I got a slimfold wallet. They are really slim and last a long time.

I've got a Slimfold too. My soft shell version still looks like new after a couple years of use. I backed the coin pocket version on Kickstarter (still going I think) to try something different and to have a wallet better suited for international travel (for bills taller than the USD).

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Well, this sucks. Apparently one of my direct reports fucked up Annual Enrollment bad enough that we actually missed our drop-dead date and could have faced serious financial ramifications if our insurer had decided to be dicks about it.

I didn't hear about this until the calibration meeting for the employee's annual performance evaluation, at which point the head of HR told me to knock the employee down to a Does Not Meet on Accountability and also give them a written performance warning.

Now the employee is disputing the timeline and wanting to appeal the evaluation, and there's no goddamn paper trail because HR doesn't like to write things down, so it was all done via phone. And HR is both the aggrieved party and the final arbiter of evaluation scores.

This seems like a looming shitstorm, and right now I feel like a kid passing messages between two pissed-off siblings who aren't talking to each other.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Well, this sucks. Apparently one of my direct reports fucked up Annual Enrollment bad enough that we actually missed our drop-dead date and could have faced serious financial ramifications if our insurer had decided to be dicks about it.

I didn't hear about this until the calibration meeting for the employee's annual performance evaluation, at which point the head of HR told me to knock the employee down to a Does Not Meet on Accountability and also give them a written performance warning.

Now the employee is disputing the timeline and wanting to appeal the evaluation, and there's no goddamn paper trail because HR doesn't like to write things down, so it was all done via phone. And HR is both the aggrieved party and the final arbiter of evaluation scores.

This seems like a looming shitstorm, and right now I feel like a kid passing messages between two pissed-off siblings who aren't talking to each other.

Given this, even if the whole thing was 100% the employees fault I'd argue that HR has to fucking wear this one. Documentation is pretty much the bedrock of that job.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Debating if I want to go for Security+ or A+ next.

Security is more interesting to me but Security will reset the expiration date on both my A+ and Network+ to my understanding and I want both eventually...

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever done an internship in the film/television industry? I have been looking to get an internship for next spring but haven’t had any luck. I have already had my resume/ cover letter then showed it to school alumni working in the industry. The only new feedback I got was too be more unique/personal which I have no clue how to do. Could I get any advice about entering the film industry? I want to do behind the scenes work like pre/post production or creative development. Thanks for any help?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    One time I was emailing HR about some leave I requested and they kept giving me shit, the whole time they were trying to call my number and get me to talk over the phone. I kept emailing them I was unable to speak on the phone and would prefer email. They really hate that.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Has anyone ever done an internship in the film/television industry? I have been looking to get an internship for next spring but haven’t had any luck. I have already had my resume/ cover letter then showed it to school alumni working in the industry. The only new feedback I got was too be more unique/personal which I have no clue how to do. Could I get any advice about entering the film industry? I want to do behind the scenes work like pre/post production or creative development. Thanks for any help?

Look for the production companies. They run the gambit from on set writers to everything else in the behind the scenes
    I don't know where you are but there are several here just they do contact work

• Options
    Found poetry in the incident logs: "Due to the nature of the smoke and the sudden coughing fit, it looked like someone had hit a vape instead of it being some sort of mechanical issue from the computer itself."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Debating if I want to go for Security+ or A+ next.

Security is more interesting to me but Security will reset the expiration date on both my A+ and Network+ to my understanding and I want both eventually...

Well, what do you do for work right now and where do you want to be? I've spoken to several industry people when I was planning my A+ a few months ago and all of them told me that with my education and experience background an A+ would be a waste of $400.

I am studying for the Security + right now so if you want some recommendations on materials I have a stack of em.

This discussion has been closed.