It's a good [job] thread, Elmo

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    A black woman asked another woman if the seat next to her was taken

Other woman opted to get up and walk to the next train car

JFC

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I just had a sales guy sent me a calendar invite for a meeting without us talking before hand.

Is that a thing now? Because it's really obnoxious.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    mcp wrote: »
    I just had a sales guy sent me a calendar invite for a meeting without us talking before hand.

I've encountered it a couple times. If it's not obvious spam, which is a thing with gmail because they'll add calendar things to your calendar with all sorts of push reminders and notifications even if it's caught by the spam filter, but an actual real-life sales person? I reschedule for 3:15 AM, December 25th 2069.

[edit]http://www.getdigsy.com/blog/commercial-real-estate/meeting-request-email-trick/

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't mind the chilly weather, but man I hate how it makes my nose run like a damn faucet.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've definitely had sales people send me that garbage.

I had one a few weeks ago where they pretended to have an indian help center look for me then they "interrupted" it when it was clear it wasn't working and tried to use that as a sales pitch.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Each semester there's an open Q&A with the department dean & administration. Questions can be submitted anonymously beforehand, and are displayed online in the days before the event.

That's the backstory, here's something someone just submitted:
    "[The university] does not have any unusual problem with sexism, bias, or academic culture. What steps is the department taking to screen out those who are not prepared for the minor stresses of the real world?"

Subsequent questions are getting juicy.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Someone thought that the day was off to a boring start and decided to stir shit up?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Well my first instinct is to reject the hell out of the premise of that question.

Javen on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    When we got married one of our wedding presents to ourselves was a 65" TV, the biggest consumer model available at Best Buy at the time. It came in on rollers, maneuvered by two strong men. We all noted with great satisfaction that the TV made it out of the elevator with about 1/4" of clearance to spare.

We loved that TV, and it lasted for 10 years. Eventually had to pay to have it hauled off.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Well my first instinct is to reject the hell out of the premise of that question.

It's pretty obviously a reactionary spew against a lot of the other questions which are about processes for dealing with abusive supervisors, harassment, etc.
    With any luck this dimwitted child will experience a large dose of the 'real world' at some point in the future.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

It's pretty obviously a reactionary spew against a lot of the other questions which are about processes for dealing with abusive supervisors, harassment, etc.
    With any luck this dimwitted caucasian, heterosexual, cisgendered man will experience a large dose of the 'real world' at some point in the future.

Let's call a spade a spade.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Each semester there's an open Q&A with the department dean & administration. Questions can be submitted anonymously beforehand, and are displayed online in the days before the event.

"[The university] does not have any unusual problem with sexism, bias, or academic culture. What steps is the department taking to screen out those who are not prepared for the minor stresses of the real world?"

Ha ha, nice try. [/colbertvoice]

Moving on.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    I'm still just shocked they didn't say the word "snowflake" anywhere in that question...

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

My first instinct is to reject the hell out of the author.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Debating if I want to go for Security+ or A+ next.

Security is more interesting to me but Security will reset the expiration date on both my A+ and Network+ to my understanding and I want both eventually...

Well, what do you do for work right now and where do you want to be? I've spoken to several industry people when I was planning my A+ a few months ago and all of them told me that with my education and experience background an A+ would be a waste of $400.

I am studying for the Security + right now so if you want some recommendations on materials I have a stack of em.

Right now I am working on a primarily account management capacity for a dental software startup company. Long term working in InfoSec in some capacity seems really nice.

My background is mostly education though so this is overall a decent gear change for me.

I'd do the A+ only if your company was paying you for it and you have a ton of free time. As mentioned, it's a $400 test, and the knowledge tested is surpassed by Net+ and Sec+. You're better off going forward instead of back, maybe diversify to other certs outside of CompTIA. There are countless options for better ways to direct your efforts.

Work has covered my certs so far but I don’t know if they will do so indefinitely or for any cost of test. Spending my time effectively is my primary concern

I would pick a technology that interests you and get something else then, instead of a lower level generalist certification. Sec+ if you want to get your feet wet on security but don’t have a more specific ambition.
    What are the systems at work that interest you? Or which tools do you use frequently but want more exposure on? Perhaps a Linux or PowerShell cert to give some broad strokes of OS backend exposure, since that will be a huge component of security for you down the line.

To expound on this a bit, I'm trying to get into Infosec myself right now. The path that seems best to me (so far anyway) has been Sec+. a CCNA (specifically the Cyber Ops CCNA but thats security focused) because while a Network+ is good, CCNA is similar and gives you a little variety in your certs, then I was to focus more on what I want to do (blue team data analytics) with a CySA+ or the GIAC Incident Handler Cert.

With security, tech in general, you have to start general and then try to drill down to more specifics. I hear mixed things about the Certified Ethical Hacker certification, some places really like it and want it and some people say its a waste.

Do you have a home lab at all? Do you play with any Virtual Machines at all to see what you like/want to do in the security world?

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »

I've encountered it a couple times. If it's not obvious spam, which is a thing with gmail because they'll add calendar things to your calendar with all sorts of push reminders and notifications even if it's caught by the spam filter, but an actual real-life sales person? I reschedule for 3:15 AM, December 25th 2069.

[edit]http://www.getdigsy.com/blog/commercial-real-estate/meeting-request-email-trick/

I haven't looked at the rest of the website, but I'm guessing it is just a portal for pure, unadulterated evil?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Security is more interesting to me but Security will reset the expiration date on both my A+ and Network+ to my understanding and I want both eventually...

Well, what do you do for work right now and where do you want to be? I've spoken to several industry people when I was planning my A+ a few months ago and all of them told me that with my education and experience background an A+ would be a waste of $400.

I am studying for the Security + right now so if you want some recommendations on materials I have a stack of em.

Right now I am working on a primarily account management capacity for a dental software startup company. Long term working in InfoSec in some capacity seems really nice.

My background is mostly education though so this is overall a decent gear change for me.

I'd do the A+ only if your company was paying you for it and you have a ton of free time. As mentioned, it's a $400 test, and the knowledge tested is surpassed by Net+ and Sec+. You're better off going forward instead of back, maybe diversify to other certs outside of CompTIA. There are countless options for better ways to direct your efforts.

Work has covered my certs so far but I don’t know if they will do so indefinitely or for any cost of test. Spending my time effectively is my primary concern

I would pick a technology that interests you and get something else then, instead of a lower level generalist certification. Sec+ if you want to get your feet wet on security but don’t have a more specific ambition.
    What are the systems at work that interest you? Or which tools do you use frequently but want more exposure on? Perhaps a Linux or PowerShell cert to give some broad strokes of OS backend exposure, since that will be a huge component of security for you down the line.

I am not sure if I know enough yet to pick something really specific that I want to zero in on so I think Sec+ could be a good overview for me.

Right now I am taking a break to learn some Kali Linux and do some bug bounties mostly for fun but also learn some things in the process.

Linux cert sounds like a good step for me.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

To expound on this a bit, I'm trying to get into Infosec myself right now. The path that seems best to me (so far anyway) has been Sec+. a CCNA (specifically the Cyber Ops CCNA but thats security focused) because while a Network+ is good, CCNA is similar and gives you a little variety in your certs, then I was to focus more on what I want to do (blue team data analytics) with a CySA+ or the GIAC Incident Handler Cert.

With security, tech in general, you have to start general and then try to drill down to more specifics. I hear mixed things about the Certified Ethical Hacker certification, some places really like it and want it and some people say its a waste.

Do you have a home lab at all? Do you play with any Virtual Machines at all to see what you like/want to do in the security world?

At home lab not yet but that is definitely something I am interested in getting set up. I am just not 100% certain on how to beat get started on that. Right now the only VM I am using is to run Kali Linux but that is mostly for some pen testing type fun as mentioned in my above post. I think blue team will interest me more long term than red team but this seemed like a neat way to play around with some of the networking stuff that I had learned, mostly via port vulnerabilities and banner grabbing.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular

I am not sure if I know enough yet to pick something really specific that I want to zero in on so I think Sec+ could be a good overview for me.

Right now I am taking a break to learn some Kali Linux and do some bug bounties mostly for fun but also learn some things in the process.

You'll use Kali studying for Sec+, so that's probably a good match.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Seconded to a new team, meaning basically a different role entirely.

It's weirdly unbalancing to not dread going to work.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

"OK, Boomer"

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

"OK, Boomer"

Man fuck I was going to make this post.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    No unusual problems with sexism, bias or academic culture, just the same ol' same ol'.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    No unusual problems with sexism, bias or academic culture, just the same ol' same ol'.
    The unusual part makes me wonder if it is a troll. It's basically saying that "yes, there is a problem".

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

On a second reading, is it just me or is this the sort of thing that would take the piss out of a lot of vets?

Unintentionally of course. :eyeroll:

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ok boomer is going to be my favorite meme of 2019 I think

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Some kid at school just OK Boomer'd me yesterday. Because I was laying out in a meeting with admin and his parents how we know he was watching porn in class with his phone. Spoiler alert:
    He hot-spotted off his phone, but used his district chromebook that he was signed in to. Pulling the internet history that he can't delete was super trivial.

I just turned 34 three weeks ago. His mom is older than I am. I wanted to explain to him how he sucked at memes, but settled for just rolling my eyes. His mom is a history/social studies teacher though, so now in addition to the porn consequences, he has to prepare a presentation about Boomers, Gen X, and Millennials and present it to the admin team and teachers and the class where he was porning.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That's the problem with memes, idiots misfire them

• Options
    Whatever old man, you're not cool if you don't watch hardcore porno 24/7

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Some kid at school just OK Boomer'd me yesterday. Because I was laying out in a meeting with admin and his parents how we know he was watching porn in class with his phone. Spoiler alert:
    He hot-spotted off his phone, but used his district chromebook that he was signed in to. Pulling the internet history that he can't delete was super trivial.

I just turned 34 three weeks ago. His mom is older than I am. I wanted to explain to him how he sucked at memes, but settled for just rolling my eyes. His mom is a history/social studies teacher though, so now in addition to the porn consequences, he has to prepare a presentation about Boomers, Gen X, and Millennials and present it to the admin team and teachers and the class where he was porning.

" So in conclusion, I was wrong to say OK Boomer to Mr. Expendable. The correct meme to use would have been 'millenials are killing porn watching in class '. "

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man I am just getting... REALLY good totps lately

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Just curious, how are you pursuing bug bounties, because I've been wanting to do that myself and have no idea where to start.

As for a homelab, all I have right now is a Kali Linux VM, a Redhat, a Windows Server 2016 VM and one for Windows 10. I use Kali to mess with the other VMs, I poke and prod them and do stuff like assign random passwords and see if I can use Kali to crack em. So far my favorite Kali tool to use is THE HARVESTER because its called that.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I received an email last night informing me that I have a mandatory grad school function scheduled for next Monday at 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Next Monday is a federal holiday!

Grad school, what the fuck!?!?!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    The unusual part makes me wonder if it is a troll. It's basically saying that "yes, there is a problem".

That's on me, I was quoting from memory and got it wrong. Just went and grabbed the actual text from the website:
    "There is no crisis in [the department] and [the university] does not have any more biases than the rest of society. What plans do you have to improve the process by which we screen graduate student applicants such that those selected to enter [the university] are prepared to deal with minor stresses of the real world?

(it was right below a question asking about hostility to women in the department, which is probably why I conflated it with a sexism comment)
    Then the website moderator added a note:

(moderator note: Please be respectful of your peers' very real concerns)

Then the person came back and I guess was kind of chastened?
    I am the author of the previous question and apologize for being insensitive to others. It has come to mind that these individuals must not be aware of the amazing network of individuals and offices at [department] whose mission includes the resolution of mentor-mentee concerns. For those in crisis, there exist many resources available to you.
    Then they listed a bunch of phone numbers

thanks, I guess.

tynic on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Good Lord that is some Greek Hero levels of ironic punishment right there.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I received an email last night informing me that I have a mandatory grad school function scheduled for next Monday at 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Next Monday is a federal holiday!

Grad school, what the fuck!?!?!

Other things grad school schedulers see no issue with, based on my experiences here, include holding office hours at 10pm, or on Sundays, or public holidays. And holding exams at 9pm (because "nobody can claim they have a conflict")

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The thing about grad school is that most of them fundamentally do not respect you, as a person, or your life, and that sucks.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    The thing about grad school is that most of them fundamentally do not respect you, as a person, or your life, and that sucks.

It's all totally alien to me because most phd programs in australia do not include any coursework or formal contact hours whatsoever. I dunno if the university respects you, but they pretty much ignore you and that's the next best thing.
    Also who schedules exams at night time??

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Also that story about the kid looking up porn in class reminded me of the safeguards that were in place to keep kids at my middle school from doing anything untoward on the computer.

They meant for you to be unable to open anything but a single folder on the desktop with a link to MSWord and an area to save Word files.

What ended up happening is that everyone used the search bar from opening the folder to access all the system files and install/run Diablo on every computer in the lab.

I am guessing that the tech to keep kids from doing untoward things has evolved somewhat because we certainly had the power to erase our search history/internet history because we weren't even supposed to be able to open a browser

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Did I ever mention that they gave us 1Ls a speech when we just starting about how at least one person would inevitably quit due to cocaine?

And how they knew this because it literally happens every year?

Law school in particular is designed to disrespect you so it can weed people out of the process.

This discussion has been closed.