As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Thread] Solid... I’m going to say analysis?

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    I thought the Clone Wars were this warlord era where multiple different factions used cloning technology to churn out endless armies in a horrific forever war.

The really irritating thing about PT clone wars is that it's like, in the entire galaxy, nobody cares enough to actually volunteer and fight for the Confederacy or the Republic

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Porgs and Ewoks finally revolt and begin the feasting of flesh

Or maybe an erotic adventure under an Ewoks robes...Utini indeed :surprised:

Did you miss Return of the Jedi? Ewoks are already well known consumers of human flesh.
    We saw them trying to cook Han and Luke.
    And where do you think the contents of those Storm Trooper helmets they were playing like drums went? Buried in shallow unmarked graves in the forest? Or the communal stew pot?

Yeah but like, I want to see it on screen. Their little doofer faces just covered in viscera and meat. And Porgs cooing in a new home carved out of a rib cage.

So cute :heartbeat:
    I thought the Clone Wars were this warlord era where multiple different factions used cloning technology to churn out endless armies in a horrific forever war.

The really irritating thing about PT clone wars is that it's like, in the entire galaxy, nobody cares enough to actually volunteer and fight for the Confederacy or the Republic

Free yourselves from the tyranny of the republic brothers! For just .99 credits a day you can support an infantry Droid on the front lines!

This thoughtless, remorseless warrior will decimate the Republic's faceless slave army that seems to subjugate you- what? Turned against you the minute the Republic is defeated? We wouldn't dream of it!

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Haven't watched ep1 of The Mandalorian yet, but...
    Actual Beskar armor is both rare and incredibly culturally significant by the time of Rebels. A lot of Mando armor was made of more modern (and inferior) materials, and any 'real' pieces were passed down through family/clan lines. IIRC, Sabine's armor had been reforged multiple times over the years.

So, yeah, going by the previous trailers and sneak peeks, Werner Herzog's character essentially paying bounties off with distilled culture is pretty amazing. It's literally an offer a Mandalorian can't refuse, and will likely be a source of conflict later on if it's not already.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I really like how every so often this thread goes on a tear and makes up a half-dozen possible arcs for the PT that beat what we got handily without even breaking a sweat. Lots of good times exploring those ideas in the infinite theater of my mind, thanks everyone!
    Also, a thought that occurred to me during morning coffee time: it has already been discussed how the events of Rogue One retroactively make Leia’s lines at the start of ANH into even more of a display of bravado than without knowing them, but what about the captain of the blockade runner?
    As this seven foot tall rage wizard is crushing the life out of his neck - a seven foot tall rage wizard that the captain knows literally just watched him flee a pitched battle over Scarif, he says “this is a consular ship on a diplomatic mission!” That’s like, PG-film-constraints translation of “Me and the boys saw your mom last week, shithead! You’d think a woman who was willing to perform such depraved acts would be in a better class of brothel, but I guess she likes the action she gets dockside!”
    An absolute hero - The Normal Guy Who Told A Sith Lord to Get Fucked.

That might have been me. Not only me, of course, but you get the point.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Rogue One does make the conversation between him and Princess Leia hilarious. Like, "...do you hear this bitch? Diplomatic mission? We were literally shooting gun batteries at one another thirty minutes ago. Talk about taking a fuckin' piss on us and telling us it's rain. Take her away!"

This was like the third time I'd ranted about it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Debating on whether not to wait until I get my basement nerd dungeon all set up before shelling out for Disney+ or to just do it now....

I'll probably pretend to hold out and then cave in a few weeks. Or I'm going to get upset at my wife for spending money on things like my children and food instead of giant new TV's and basement renos. :)

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I like that average Rebels are getting more moments to shine.

These are completely normal people who look at a galactic dictatorship led by telekinetic pre-cognitive telepaths with a sword fetish and planet-killer summer homes and say, “I’m going to go shoot them.”

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    I always pictured the clone wars as more akin to "The Thing". Bad guys cloning people and inserting them into high places. Jedi being cloned and taking out their friends and fellow Jedi. By the time those like Obi wan figured out what was really going on it was too late.

I figured it was senators being replaced by programmed clones to destabilize the galaxy, foment small local wars that build into a galactic war that drags the Jedi into in more than a peace keeping or protective role.
    Eventually the Jedi figure out what actually going on and the clone wars end with the jedi cutting their way through the senate to wipe out the clones.
    Footage of the Jedi assault on the senate leads directly to the Jedi Purges.

I’ve been scratching at the Clone Invasion/Sleeper Agent idea for ages until you two summed it up so beautifully. And really, what would be a better way to hollow out a sprawling Republic from within than with bodysnatcher equivalents? It’s gotta be really easy to control the senate by hot-swapping the ones against you into ones that will support you. It would also explain where all the non-stormtrooper parts of the Empire come from. That Admiral? That’s just a version of a pretty great guy who’s dead now.

I would even go so far to say that, in a fascist uprising run by bodysnatching clones, yeah, you gotta rebel and get the hell away from them at all costs. The system you know is poisonous and will take from you everything you care about if you don’t protect it yourself.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Trying out Disney+ this morning and first thing that stood out A New Hope, perfect seed movie to my new profile.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Do we know how many episodes are planned for The Mandalorian? Thinking I may hold off on the Disney+ sub until I can just binge watch the entire thing over a weekend.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    It was everything I wanted.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Trying out Disney+ this morning and first thing that stood out A New Hope, perfect seed movie to my new profile.

Any idea which version we’re getting? I assume if it was the untouched originals there’d be more fanfare, but are we talking 90s SE or post-prequel edits?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

Any idea which version we’re getting? I assume if it was the untouched originals there’d be more fanfare, but are we talking 90s SE or post-prequel edits?

Easiest way to tell?

Its the 04 version Han and Greedo shoot at the same time

Actually its a new edit to some level?
    The scene was further modified for the 2019 4K release on Disney+ with the addition of a close-up shot of Greedo (presumably) insulting Han (without subtitles) and a re-rendering of the laser effects for Han and Greedo's shots.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular

Easiest way to tell?

Its the 04 version Han and Greedo shoot at the same time

Does Han step on Jabba's tail?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Easiest way to tell?

IIRC,
    Han shot first = untouched original
    Greedo shot first = first special edition
    Greedo and Han shoot at the same time = retouched special edition

But, it has been a while since I've watched any of the Star Wars movies.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

The movies and shows show this to not be true, though. Lots of non-clone, non-droid officers abound across both sides. The issue was more of a "nobody had standing armies of sufficient size beyond planetary defense and suddenly one side had insane numbers of robots out of nowhere."

The New Republic had a very small armed forces, and when the war happened it was woefully under-equipped to do anything meaningful. No planet was going to sacrifice their own defense forces and become another Naboo situation, where someone can just shut down your planet in a week. And Jedi, while very good at taking out executive officers and stopping ware from happening, are insufficent in number to actually fight a war should it come to shooting.

So: you need a fully trained army, today. Your options are clones or droids. As someone (Sideous) already set up the clone option, you rely on those because you fight with the army you have. In the years that followed, the Empire phased out clones for volunteer soldiers from its constituent worlds, most of which were volunteers trying to get out of shitty conditions (we see this in Solo and New Hope).

But the Clone Wars was led by admirals and officers on both sides with military experience. Folks like Yularen and Trench were admirals in their own right before the war, albeit of much smaller fleets, that ended up serving during the Clone Wars along with their staff.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The use of droids also was pretty solidified by the Clone Wars show as the primary confederacy backers were major industrial guilds, banking clans, and trade guilds. People with a ton of money but not really planets that backed them in their operations. They had the driods already, along with the facilities to make them, and when things kicked off they had a ton of space to work with. Their constituent worlds provided plenty of people to serve in other capacities, but the Confederacy was, by population, smaller than the republic/rebellion aligned worlds. The trade guilds and their industrial power/money/etc. was what gave them the force projection to actually stand up to the Republic for a time.

Which is also why Sideous dissolved all of them and folded those mercantile and industrial powers directly under Empire control until his death.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

They're not going to put the HD untouched original versions on their streaming service before having people buy physical discs of them.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I love and will defend Leia lying to Vader's face in Rogue One because true revolutionaries know you do not tell the fash the truth. If they had holograms they'd secretly recorded of her reciting the Rebel pledge of allegiance or whatever they do she would say "Who's that, I don't know her?"

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Do we know how many episodes are planned for The Mandalorian? Thinking I may hold off on the Disney+ sub until I can just binge watch the entire thing over a weekend.

The long-term contract I had to sign
    says I'll be making these movies 'till the end of time
    With my Yoda.

Y. O. D. A. Yoda

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

8 episodes. Last episode will air on December 27th

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Mandalorian E1:

At first
    When they got inside, I thought for sure it was a baby hutt based on general thugs composition outside.

I was so pleased to be wrong and have it be a baby Yoda instead!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Actual Beskar armor is both rare and incredibly culturally significant by the time of Rebels. A lot of Mando armor was made of more modern (and inferior) materials, and any 'real' pieces were passed down through family/clan lines. IIRC, Sabine's armor had been reforged multiple times over the years.

So, yeah, going by the previous trailers and sneak peeks, Werner Herzog's character essentially paying bounties off with distilled culture is pretty amazing. It's literally an offer a Mandalorian can't refuse, and will likely be a source of conflict later on if it's not already.

I wonder if that's going to be a running theme of the show.
    Cultures that were suppressed by the Empire making a resurgence and trying to reclaim their heritage.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I geeked out real hard during the first episode of the Mandalorian. I loved everything about it. Highlights for me were
    - IG droid depiction was awesome.
    - The Mandalorian is sufficiently badass
    - All the terminology surrounding the guild and the mandos was just *chef's kiss*
    - Surprise Yoda!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I geeked out real hard during the first episode of the Mandalorian. I loved everything about it. Highlights for me were
    - IG droid depiction was awesome.
    - The Mandalorian is sufficiently badass
    - All the terminology surrounding the guild and the mandos was just *chef's kiss*
    - Surprise Yoda!

I loved how the ugnaught shamed the mando by using history

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I guess we're doing open spoilers on this show that's been out for less than a day, huh.

• Options
    edited November 2019

Werner Herzog's character
    100% has the feel of like, a nazi imperial officer who survived the end of the war, and used a nazi imperial vault of ill-gotten wealth and cultural relics to start up a minor crime empire.

like even by the standards of imperial officers he's very wehrmacht

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

100% has the feel of like, a nazi imperial officer who survived the end of the war, and used a nazi imperial vault of ill-gotten wealth and cultural relics to start up a minor crime empire.
    The fact he has Storm Troopers as his guard and he legit just looks like an Imperial officer backs all that up. Plus he's got some evil scientist working for him. Classic nazi Empire shenanigans

• Options
    edited November 2019

Easiest way to tell?

IIRC,
    Han shot first = untouched original
    Greedo shot first = first special edition
    Greedo and Han shoot at the same time = retouched special edition

But, it has been a while since I've watched any of the Star Wars movies.

Based off the below Twitter clip, we can now add:

Greedo shoots first and then explodes into a cloud of gas and weird editing = Disney+ streaming edition.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Why can they not leave that scene alone, ever? It's like, one of the most iconic Han moments and it's so butchered every time kids see it now

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Why can they not leave that scene alone, ever? It's like, one of the most iconic Han moments and it's so butchered every time kids see it now

It’s genuinely baffling. My guess is that ever since Lucas changed things so Greedo shot [edited to reflect the right kind of discharge] first, editors have been stuck trying to satisfy fans who hate that and Lucas’s ever-shifting canonical interpretations.

This might be the worst version, somehow. It’s got the jarring and physically nonsensical “dodge” by Han, plus rapid editing shifts that feels incredibly out of place.

Edit: It’s almost impossible to tell what happens, and to what end? Previously the scene, one way or another, was meant to inform Han’s character. I have no idea what to take away from what happens here except that apparently Rodians are highly volatile.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Greedo shit first

No, that definitely didn't happen until after he died

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Given what happens near the end of Solo, I think present day Lucasfilm prefers the original way that played out.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I'm at work and won't watch it for another couple hours and I'm staying spoiler free, but the premise of the Mandalorian is everything I have ever wanted in my Star Wars.

I'm trying real hard not to get my hopes up too high and be disappointed.

Please let this be good. Please.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    One thing that does appear to be fixed in the first movie is the lightsaber coloring. There were some spots where the blades looked white, and those look better now. Luke on the Falcon and Vader after the duel were the ones that used to stand out.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Seems Lucas is to blame for the Disney+ edit:

New: Disney confirmed to The Verge just now this change "made by George Lucas made prior to the Disney acquisition."

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    In my head canon, Padme died from respiratory complications, due to being force choked, wich, not only we have seen people die from, it ultimately became Darth Anakin´s signature move.

My Head Cannon used to be this, but then I thought about the Darth Plagueis story and it hit me; Plagueis way of cheating death was straight up stealing life force from somebody the recipient is connected to via the force. Palpatine saved Anakin by stealing Padme's life force during the reconstruction/Childbirth sequence. Its so thematic and obvious that its a shame nobody got it during the original run. The Dark Side is about taking what you want and there is always a price for doing that. For Palpatine its a threefer, he gets Anakin as an apprentice , gets rid of Padme as a political threat and a baby that would divide Anakin's loyalty is gone. Besides it was always against the space opera theme of Star Wars. dying of a random medical complication? In the Real world sure, but not in a Galaxy Far Far Away. Certainly not a main character.

Also Anakin blames himself because of his force choke, which is why Darth Vader's palace is on Mustafar, because he draws strength from his self-hatred. The Dark Side is fueled by negative emotion and Anakin hates himself more then anyone. He wallows in that hatred and uses it to fuel his rampages across the galaxy during the Empire. Which is why he loses once he learns that Luke and subsequently Leia exists.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options

The fact he has Storm Troopers as his guard and he legit just looks like an Imperial officer backs all that up. Plus he's got some evil scientist working for him. Classic nazi Empire shenanigans

I like how (mandalorian ep 1)
    All of his guards are still wearing their stormtrooper armor, but the armor's all beat to shit and dirty, very non-iconic stormtrooper looking.

Like they obviously used to be stormtroopers and still use the gear, but there's no support infrastructure anymore, so they've just been using the same shit nonstop for several years without any kind of maintenance, and without the military expectation of cleanliness. It gives a very strong ex-military vibe, that like they all used to be in the same military unit but now they're more of a gang, and there's no signs of military discipline; they slouch, they're dirty, they obviously obey Herzog's character but they don't salute him or anything like that. Herzog meanwhile is still wearing pristine clothes without a speck of dust on him, which again gives kind of a gang leader vibe.

Really if there's one thing I would praise ep 1 for it's how much little bits of worldbuilding are subtly suggested without having to spell it out explicitly. Another bit is how we get the suggestion of the Mandalorians loss of status in the modern galaxy - people are like curious about them, they know stories about Mandalorians, but nobody really displays any fear of Mandalorians. The armor forge scene shows us that obviously the Mandalorians still treat their warrior ethos very seriously, but it's also clear that nobody else really does.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

All of his guards are still wearing their stormtrooper armor, but the armor's all beat to shit and dirty, very non-iconic stormtrooper looking.

Like they obviously used to be stormtroopers and still use the gear, but there's no support infrastructure anymore, so they've just been using the same shit nonstop for several years without any kind of maintenance, and without the military expectation of cleanliness. It gives a very strong ex-military vibe, that like they all used to be in the same military unit but now they're more of a gang, and there's no signs of military discipline; they slouch, they're dirty, they obviously obey Herzog's character but they don't salute him or anything like that. Herzog meanwhile is still wearing pristine clothes without a speck of dust on him, which again gives kind of a gang leader vibe.

Really if there's one thing I would praise ep 1 for it's how much little bits of worldbuilding are subtly suggested without having to spell it out explicitly. Another bit is how we get the suggestion of the Mandalorians loss of status in the modern galaxy - people are like curious about them, they know stories about Mandalorians, but nobody really displays any fear of Mandalorians. The armor forge scene shows us that obviously the Mandalorians still treat their warrior ethos very seriously, but it's also clear that nobody else really does.

There's a lot to like
    The depiction of the imperial remnants as depicted in this episode, beaten and downtrodden, is definitely what I would have rather seen in TFA than a re-branded Empire that looks and feels exactly the same as it did 30 years prior.

The concept of a Mandalorian being elevated to almost a mythical status is also good to see, instead of it just being limited to Jedi.

The anti-colonialism beat of stolen wealth being returned to its rightful culture is definitely not one I expected, but is certainly welcome. I hope they continue to explore other cultures that have seen similar treatment from the Empire, or even the Republic.

Javen on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular

I also really dig
    Herzog’s gold Empire sigil on a thumb-thick chain - I’m honestly unsure whether it’s meant to be some gaudy-but-actual marker of Imperial status (Moff-plus-plus? Chancellor of the Exchequer? Baron of Mad Science?) or if he had it made once he and the 713th Legion, Permanent Detachment here got all settled in as the top of the protection racket food chain wherever they are.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Assuran wrote: »
    I'm at work and won't watch it for another couple hours and I'm staying spoiler free, but the premise of the Mandalorian is everything I have ever wanted in my Star Wars.

I'm trying real hard not to get my hopes up too high and be disappointed.

Please let this be good. Please.

Its good. You'll like it.

This discussion has been closed.