As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Family] Thread

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Every year I buy my father the most bastard-level jigsaw puzzle I can possibly find.

He curses me at length then finishes it in three evenings.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    my grandma fuckin' loved puzzles

she had a big table in the kitchen where she'd chainsmoke and drink coffee, listen to the police scanner, and do puzzles

when we'd visit I'd do puzzles with her all day so I could avoid my hillfolk relatives

me and her were cityborn, the wilds were no place for us

edit: when we went up to her infuriatingly half-assed memorial and ash spreading (they just upended her urn in the fucking mud) there was a partially completed puzzle of Notre Dame Cathedral on her table and I stayed up all night drinking coffee and I finished it for her.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Every year I buy my father the most bastard-level jigsaw puzzle I can possibly find.

Just like one of those ones that are all one tone?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Blake T wrote: »

Just like one of those ones that are all one tone?

Yes, three years ago I got him one that was entirely pale grey. Though the one he hated the most was actually an HSV rainbow gradient with 2000 pieces. It is very easy ... if you’re not slightly color blind.

tynic on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I by my father nothing.

U sed to buy my father birthday presents. I one time bought him a little Henry 8th bust that when you pushed the button sang the Herman & the Hermits "Henry the 8th: song because my dad loved that song.
    I bought him the VCR tapes of the first season of 'Allo 'Allo because we woudl sit and watch it together.
    I bought him VCR tapes of the "Best of the Three Stooges" see above
    I bought him VCR tapes of 3 major Sidney Poitier movies because my father loved them.
    I bought him VCR tapes because he still only uses a VCR and not a DVD player.

Every single one of those sets are still in the shrink wrap. never opened, never touched.

I don't buy my father any presents anymore. What's the point when he never uses them and rarely says thanks?

instead, for his birthday, he buys things for his granddaughter and that's good enough for him.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Have you tried the old trick of adding a few pieces from a different (but very similar) puzzle to the box?

• Options
    Meddling is considered cheating, but designing and cutting my own puzzle is not, so believe me I have plans

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Meddling is considered cheating, but designing and cutting my own puzzle is not, so believe me I have plans

I look forwards to seeing your Möbius strip puzzle!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    You can now get those endless infinity jigsaw puzzles with no edges, no start point, and no particular finish. Once you've used all the pieces, break up half of it, slide and/or rotate what's left, and keep going.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Do they tell you it's an infinity puzzle on the box? Cause it'd be way nastier if they didn't.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to drop some serious $$ on gorgeous giftabe puzzles, I highly recommend Chris Yates's "Bafflers"

http://www.chrisyates.net/store/puzz.html

7wy4d6ko6gx7.png

kqr9keo30lmy.png

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    My mother would hate me so much...

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    https://www.stumpcraft.com/ is around here (Calgary) and does the same sorts of thing with unusual-shaped pieces:
    StumpCraft_-_Steve_Driscoll_-_The_Sky_Was_Beautiful_on_Fire_Jigsaw_Puzzle_Detail-0334_640x640.jpg
    StumpCraft_-_Steve_Driscoll_-_The_Sky_Was_Beautiful_on_Fire_Jigsaw_Puzzle_Detail-0340_640x640.jpg

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    well hey aren't those cool as all hell

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    My father is taking my mother to small claims court for owed rent and "credit cards we signed up for" (he was the one who signed up for them)

Meanwhile, he hasn't given her any money toward bills all year, basically. Since February.

:rotate: I'm so close to being out of here and not having to deal with this crap. Just gotta find a job elsewhere.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Today I bought Oreos made for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. They have little moon-related pictures on one side, a lilac-purple marshmallow creme, and the pack comes with stickers on the back that glow in the dark.

Mostly though I saw them and thought "...I need to buy those" because they reminded me that hey, my grandfather was really cool. He played a huge role in the SNAP program and equipment he designed and helped build (and deploy, in the end) is still on the moon today. Something so important done by someone I am lucky enough to be related to made it to the moon and can still function. I made an H/A thread for it a while back as I was doing some of the research. I'm really proud of him.

And the oreos are delicious, so that's good too.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The other night my father disabled the living room TV before going to bed because he knows my mother will go downstairs rather than stay in the same room and watch TV. I was able to figure out a workaround.

Then yesterday he asked for and took the garage key from me (under the guise of needing to copy it because he accidentally broke his) and then before he left for work he opened the garage, disabled the circuits to the A/C in the living room and their bedroom, and also the kitchen applicances (except, thankfully, the fridge, which would've lead to a LOT of spoiled food).

My mother has been home since June 29 because she retired. And it's the summer.

I am so annoyed and done with this crap.

The kicker is that he claims it wasn't him but I downloaded the surveillance footage of him doing it, checking to see if it worked, and then closing the garage and leaving. Only you can only assume that's what he's doing because the FOV of the shot cuts before the garage.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    You're a saint, Goose

• Options
    I really need someone in the DMV/NoVa area to hire me for an entry level IT position so if anyone has any connections there I'd be eternally grateful.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Deleted just in case

Goose! on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I'm sorry you have to deal with that bullshit, Goose

:bro:

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Hey y’all, one of my eldest dogs is dying, he and my other eldest were the first two pets I ever had on my own. I’ve had him his entire life from a little pupper to 14 years later. I’m not handling this well at all, it’s tearing my heart apart. I can’t do anything except make him as comfy as possible. I just hope he knows how much I love him.

I gave him a bath last night, isn’t he just the handsomest old good boy?
    6hot5q6ro2zm.jpeg

Sorry guys, gonna go cry some more now. :(

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I just hope he knows how much I love him.

He knows.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Wife called, he tried to move a bit after I left so she wrapped him up in a blanket. She woke up from a nap and he’s gone, probably no more than a half hour ago or so. My special little buddy is gone. Leaving work to get home and bury him and grieve.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Wife called, he tried to move a bit after I left so she wrapped him up in a blanket. She woke up from a nap and he’s gone, probably no more than a half hour ago or so. My special little buddy is gone. Leaving work to get home and bury him and grieve.

You two were lucky to have each other. Sorry for your loss. :sad:

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Sounds like you gave the little guy a good life and made him as comfortable as possible. He'll live on through you and your wife's hearts and memories.

• Options
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    He's a good dog, BH. :)

We're lucky to have them while we can.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Once more into the shit
    My mother and little brother have been going to family court vs my father since March? I think? For an order of protection against him. They had to have the court assign them a lawyer because they couldn't afford one and my dad, who gets one through his union, showed up with one.

Unfortunately, the lawyer they assigned is a dickhead who seems more interested in getting the case dropped than adequately representing my mother and brother against a husband and father who has repeatedly threatened both of them and our dogs (throwing them out, etc). Today they finally had enough of the lawyer and apparently at the same time he had enough of them, insulted them, told him my father isn't dangerous and that they're wasting the Court's time. It's so ridiculous. They have video, audio, text messages, etc and this asshole just wants this to be over with.

Ugh. In a way I hate that I'm not there and in another way I'm glad to not be there.

Goose! on
  • Options
    I’m sorry Goose that sucks hard.

Wanted to share more news but had a hard time doing so immediately as just two days after I lost Toby, I lost my eldest dog Molly, 16 years of which I had her 14. She was my first pet on my own. I drove from Tallahassee to Ocala to get her from a refuge. She had a genetic deformity of her lower jaw making it half the size of her upper and she would vacuum food up and was just so adorable. I have to believe she was ready to go but held on for Toby to go first, and then followed him afterward. They were inseparable and I’ll miss Molly so very much.
    y7bu15fjn0d7.jpeg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    She was beautiful Blackhawk, I'm sorry for your loss.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Ah ffs
    My best friend earns a lot more than me, is generous by nature, and basically constantly gives me gifts I do not have the financial resources to reciprocate
    She sent some stuff over from Australia with another mutual friend and let’s just say I’m gonna have to get REAL damn creative with Christmas this year

• Options
    One of your christmas cards should suffice

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    If your friend is like me, the reaction is the reward for giving the gift.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    My mother-in-law is dying. Actually she's been dying for 10 years now. Back then she refused brain surgery because she didn't want to unnecessarily extend her life, but the damned tumor in her brain never killed her outright, it just slowly took away her ability to walk, to grab things, to hug, to talk, to swallow, and now recently, to breathe. The doctors originally said she only had a few years to live but despite several close calls she's still held on despite being a prisoner in her own body. She's still aware of things around her: she'll laugh at my father-in-law's jokes, cry when her son leaves for several months, but she can't even hold up her head or cough if she gets sick.

This time the doctors think she has pneumonia because her oxygen keeps dropping and she had a fever last night. My wife and her siblings stayed late with her, but then she seemed to improve this morning. Doc still thinks it's almost over, but we've been through this so often before there's just no telling.

It's frustrating because, well, the frustration itself makes us feel guilty that we don't appreciate that she's still with us. But there's still jobs to go to and we can't stay there all day. My wife has just been such an exhausted emotional wreck, and I just feel completely unhelpful with my lame comments like, "at least she'll finally be at peace..."

Anyway, not really looking for advice, I just wanted to vent. It's been a long few days.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It might be 'ultimatum time' for your aunt. If she can't respect your feelings regarding your Father, then it might be time to say goodbye.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hugs to you, ND. You don't deserve that.