As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Impeachment] Intel Cmte Report Released (OP-2) | Judiciary Hearings Begin (2019/12/04)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I like Will Hurd's style of talking. I just wish he wasn't part of team evilly stupid.

Edit: He's laying out a timeline, to imply Giuliani was not actually trying to influence things because he was going to the wrong people.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I like Will Hurd's style of talking. I just wish he wasn't part of team evilly stupid.

Edit: He's laying out a timeline, to imply Giuliani was not actually trying to influence things because he was going to the wrong people.

So like he asked a grocery store night shift manager to do a contract hit so he's not guilty of attempting to set up a hit?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Rep. Radcliffe with a stupid line of questioning, to see how many companies and people she was briefed about in prepping for confirmation hearings.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Slortex wrote: »
    Some clown called into C-Span's Democratic line regarding Marie Yovanovitch's career choice, insinuating she should be a financial advisor instead of an ambassador because she turned a 200,000 salary over 33 years into a net worth of over 6 million. Then said something about deep state operatives.

But... $200,000 x 33 = $6,600,000. Basic math is too much, I guess?

If she has over 6 mill in net worth with a lifetime earning of 6.6, then she lived like a monk or made some smart investments.

Investing $3,000 per month for 33 years at 8% return yields $5.8 million.

The return for the S&P 500 for the last 30 years has been more like 10%, which would result in $9.2 million.

If you bought a home for 300k 33 years ago it would probably be worth about 1-2m today alone. Especially if it was in the DC area.

Housing is savings

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    Ratcliffe (TX) R - Trying to go down the line of Biden calling for the old corrupt prosecutor general getting fired... I just wish someone slam dunks on it and asks her if it was more likely for Burisma to get investigated further with a new one installed since the one being fired was corrupt and purposely stalling the investigation.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The republicans continue to try and go over on their time and then talk over Schiff telling them to suspend. It's a weird strategy that mostly makes them look like jerks.

I guess it plays well with the hardcore trump folk as resisting the evil democrat oppressors like a small child rebelling against a teacher.

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    C-SPAN is staying while on recess... and the camera pans around and will show different pockets of people and man the Republicans and their Aides are just chuckling it up like this is a giant game to them.... so ridiculous.

• Options
    Jim Jordan immediately going in on Ukranian attacks on the President for influencing elections.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'll laugh if that blows up in their faces with their shitty base. I know we see that shit a lot with them during debates and the goal is very much to prove they are the biggest dipshit alpha. It gets them mixed results since people outside their base find it off putting and many moderators do a piss poor job of shutting them down, which is what their base eats up. Schiff is just shutting them down, so they probably aren't coming across as tough to their awful base, but rather weak. They really aren't used to being in a situation where people take their tricks and metaphorically beat them over the head with them.

Something to keep an eye on in regards to impeachment, is that more people might feel inclined to step forward and testify. The DoJ's things with McCabe isn't going well and a judge has just signaled that he isn't pleased with the DoJ. McCabe's situation looks very much like it was a case of Trump being a petty dick and shit canning someone for something that he couldn't legally be fired for. If the DoJ gets shut down hard there, that pretty much makes it super easy for anyone stepping forward to fight against any form of retaliation that this chucklefuck administration attempts and likely win. As I mentioned earlier in this thread or maybe it was the last one, people that Trump is trying to intimate and retaliate against within the civil service only need him administration to be found guilty of one case of improperly firing someone for political reasons. Once the track record is established, it makes harder for the administration to do anything against others for cooperating with Congress. At that point an negative action could be argued as the WH retaliating and the Trump administration would have a hard time convincing the courts that "no, this time the firing was legitimate and not a case of Trump or his cronies being petty shits."

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Jim Jordan immediately going in on Ukranian attacks on the President for influencing elections.

In the form of op-eds written by 3 Ukranians, it should be noted.

And now back to their narrative of "Oh! We gave the aid as soon as we figured out Zelenskyy was okay!"

Hah.

Jordan: *goes on and on about how awful Ukraine is and how understandable Trump's actions should be*
    *awkward pause*
    Ambassador: "..I'm sorry. Was there a question there?"

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Jim Jordan is getting called out on not actually having a question

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    I hope so. Schiff allowing Yovanovitch the opportunity to answer Trump's tweet was a rich chocolatey comeuppance.
    I want some more helpings.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Finally caught up on thread. I didn't catch most of the testimony buy there was one good bit I did catch, paraphrasing:
    R: Are you aware that there are democrats and never trumpers trying to take down the president?

Yvonavich: *pause* that's what he says.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Jim Jordan is getting called out on not actually having a question

Specifically, Jordan kept going on trying to make... some point about 2016 and Ukraine politicians disliking then-candidate Trump and how that's so terrible (and the same as this!). It was so convoluted that Ambassador Yovanovitch replied "sorry, but is there a question?"

Schiff allowed Jordan to try again past his time, Jordan rambled more while Schiff told him the extra time indulgence was running out, the question didn't go anywhere, then Jordan tried to ask another question anyway because that's their MO here.

• Options
    Nunes calling this a show trial, and that they are heading to the basement for more shadow discussions. Claiming the ratings are plummeting.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    And it's done, with a Republican whining they can't go on being dicks, and a standing Ovation for Yovanavitch

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    How the fuck is Nunes still a representative of Congress.

All these fucks are jokes, but he's got to be the worst.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Schiff just blowing off Nunes is pretty great.
    Great speech too.

• Options
    I was talking to a colleague and all of a sudden I heard cheers in my headphones. Two sets, specifically. What happened? Did someone call for the standing ovation, or did it happen spontaneously?

• Options
    And it's done, with a Republican whining they can't go on being dicks, and a standing Ovation for Yovanavitch

Standing ovation either for Yovanovitch or for Schiff completely ignoring republican protestations of being disparaged during his closing remarks. I lean towards the former as well.

• Options
    I was talking to a colleague and all of a sudden I heard cheers in my headphones. Two sets, specifically. What happened? Did someone call for the standing ovation, or did it happen spontaneously?

Spontaneously

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    What part of the constitution mentions ratings? I think I was sick that day of civics class.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Wow that ovation was like strangely moving. I know DC is full of liberals but something about her getting spontaneous - loud (there was cheers!) ovation really made me feel like something is happening here.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Qanamil wrote: »

Standing ovation either for Yovanovitch or for Schiff completely ignoring republican protestations of being disparaged during his closing remarks. I lean towards the former as well.

Well Schiff is a good orator too. If he did this completely improvised, it's impressive.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

He previously maintained a very low profile representing a district in affluent Orange County, California.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Wow that ovation was like strangely moving. I know DC is full of liberals but something about her getting spontaneous - loud (there was cheers!) ovation really made me feel like something is happening here.

I would be shocked if it wasn't planned somehow. Once a few people get up to applaud, a lot of others would likely follow suit.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

He previously maintained a very low profile representing a district in affluent Orange County, California.

I thought he was further north

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Plus everyone likes to clap.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

Well Schiff is a good orator too. If he did this completely improvised, it's impressive.

Said it before, I'll say it again- Schiff should take over for Pelosi once she leaves. That's assuming we don't eventually run him for president.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

I would be shocked if it wasn't planned somehow. Once a few people get up to applaud, a lot of others would likely follow suit.

... isn't that the definition of spontaneous?

• Options

She deserves it. Civil Servants are the best of us and I hate seeing them constantly attacked. Sure, the bureaucracy is huge, but people just do what their leaders decide on.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

She deserves it. Civil Servants are the best of us and I hate seeing them constantly attacked. Sure, the bureaucracy is huge, but people just do what their leaders decide on.

And the thing Trump mocked her for - being the ambassador to multiple conflict spots and troubled nations - is why career civil servants are so important. There are no shortages of rich donors who love the idea of being ambassador to Luxemberg, but it is the professionals who staff the embassies in Somalia and Yemen.

That said, we really need to look at the practice of selling ambassadors to rich assholes. That's never been a smart move.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    If attitude and demeanor are any kind of barometer, it's clearly obvious that the GOP is on the ropes with this. They have nothing. Their heavy hitters are whiffing at every turn. I am seriously struggling to think of a single valid point that has been made by them in these hearings. Certainly no good points.

Tell that to moviegoers outside the US :)

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Oh yeah I agree totally, she's like the exact model of what a civil servant should be and I admire her personal courage greatly, I'm just saying that it's easy to get people to clap sometimes because it's fun and people like to do stuff in crowds, that's all. Even easier if someone deserves it so richly.

Edit: only maniacs clap at movies even in the states that shit is wild to me.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    If attitude and demeanor are any kind of barometer, it's clearly obvious that the GOP is on the ropes with this. They have nothing. Their heavy hitters are whiffing at every turn. I am seriously struggling to think of a single valid point that has been made by them in these hearings. Certainly no good points.

Much of what they are doing is fellating Trump. The concern about "ratings" shows that clearly. Perhaps they think he can protect them if they win his favor, like a king?

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

No.

Spontaneity requires no external stimulus, which, without the initial few starting it (planned, is my assumption), I wonder if the latter would have done it on their own.

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe she deserved it, I'm just not placing as much heart into it as mxmarks did.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Much of what they are doing is fellating Trump. The concern about "ratings" shows that clearly. Perhaps they think he can protect them if they win his favor, like a king?

They are also playing to right wing media. They know they have a friendly propaganda network, and they are trying to create clips that can be isolated to make them look like heroes/martyrs.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

No.

Spontaneity requires no external stimulus, which, without the initial few starting it (planned, is my assumption), I wonder if the latter would have done it on their own.

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe she deserved it, I'm just not placing as much heart into it as mxmarks did.

Spontaneous applause is literally when some people get up and applaud on their own and then everyone joins them. That's how it works.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    The inability of members of the GOP to answer direct questions is astounding. Jim Jordan, when asked directly if he thought that Yovanovitch was the victim of a smear campaign could only stammer wordlessly, shake his head, and shrug his shoulders before stepping aside to let someone else speak.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Or attendees of Jeb's campaign stops

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
This discussion has been closed.