As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Storm March - Interlude] The Unusual Appearance of Baron Von Ruckhauser

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Wei's body shifts back,, growing smaller, skull shifting into a humanoid head, fur dropping off as if shed, clothes emerging, until the halfling emerges, crouched and breathing heavily. He stands.

"Well-met, paladin." Wei says and gives Fernando a nod. "This place is not as it seems. Otto, what happened here?"

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    In the distance, you think you hear faint growls and snarls as the sun begins to dip toward the horizon.

It is still light out, and will be for at least another hour.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Fernando blinks at the druid, suddenly seeming quite lost.

“Evil is afoot gentlemeeeen...”, the paladin slurs, his body slowing even as he strides towards the barkeep.

“Weeee should make the besssst of it here.”, he says to his newfound allies, then turns to the barkeep as he slowly crumbles onto the bar like a tired drunk, “You’re weeeiiirrrrd...”

Fernando goes dormant. Mechanisms inside him purr to a stop.

[OOC: I won’t be around much this week! But I suggest we Make Camp.

Make Camp
    When you settle in to rest, consume a ration. If you’re somewhere dangerous decide the watch order as well. If you have enough XP you may Level Up. When you wake from at least a few uninterrupted hours of sleep heal damage equal to half your max HP.

If you press on, the paladin will no doubt crash the party at a later date.]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    "I don't know about you folks, but I could use a rest after that tangle." Otto collects himself and plants himself into the nearest chair. "What happened here, Wei?" I was chatting the apparition of a bartender over there when the nastier version of him started making a clatter in the back. I decided to check on the noise when the sumbich leapt out at me. Couldn't get a work or blade in edgewise on 'im. Then everyone else showed up. Sigurd - that's the bartender - was mentioning something about not getting too many bloods around these parts. I don't know what that means but it sure sounds like we may be the only living, normal beings on this island ceptin the Baron himself."

"Anyone else find anything interesting?"

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Wei shakes his head. "I went to the nearby town hall. Place was deserted, except for some spider creature who took up residence in one of the rooms. I did find an Astral Engine, however, completely functional. Something we could use, if we had the need or the know-how..."

(ooc: im down for making camp)

• Options
    The paladin swings upright and his eyes flicker light blue. Eventually they dim, but the lights stays on.

“Asstrall eng... engine. The Baron and his astral engines... I should remember... more about them. I do not believe him to be a good man...”

“But I’m sure of this. I came here to spread the Holy Word of the Sun, for I heard tell the Dawn Temple was torn down. Was it by the Baron’s order?”

The mechanical paladin suddenly drops to his knees in prayer.

“Father, this is my quest! To seek the truth of this island and bring your light back to it! To cleanse my spirit, I shall not eat until this is done!”

[I’m gonna make my main class move here. I’ve marked what I’m picking in bold]
    Quest
    When you dedicate yourself to a mission through prayer and ritual cleansing, state what you set out to do:
    - Slay _______, a great blight on the land
    - Defend _______ from the iniquities that beset them
    - Discover the truth of the Baron’s deeds.

Then choose up to two boons:
    - An unwavering sense of direction to _______.
    - Invulnerability to _______ (e.g., edged weapons, fire, enchantment, etc.)
    - A mark of Divine Authority
    - Senses that pierce lies
    - A voice that transcends language
    - A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep

The GM will then tell you what vow or vows are required of you to maintain your blessing:
    - Honour (forbidden: cowardly tactics and tricks)
    - Temperance (forbidden: gluttony in food, drink, and pleasure of the flesh)
    - Piety (required: observance of daily holy services)
    - Valor (forbidden: suffering an evil creature to live)
    - Truth (forbidden: lies)
    - Hospitality (required: comfort to those in need, no matter who they are)

The paladin will spend this time as we make camp in prayer. If we need to keep watch he’ll go last.

• Options
    Fernando
    You feel the warmth of a divine presence wash through you, and instinctively you know the road to truth is paved with Honour and Piety.

The Party
    After a few minutes, Toth wanders in through the tavern door. Nary a hair out of place as usual, but if you carefully scrutinize her features you notice a small tear in the hem of her garb. She clears her throat to gain the attention of the room.

"It seems the Baron's experiments had a number of unintended consequences, some of which are remarkably unfriendly. Since it appears as if we're all here, I would suggest we bar any entrances and make a haven for ourselves; unless you collectively believe we should sortie out in the dead of night?"

If the party is in agreement with regard to resting, feel free to mark the rations and tell me your watch order.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Wei helps bar the doors. "I shall keep first watch."

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The automatic soldier continues to pray reverently as the emblem on his chest begins to glow softly. There’s a warmth to the pub now, welcoming and calm. It’s now obvious to all that his god is a real one, and acts through him.

@Cheeseliker What is Wei’s opinion on the sun god, and is it a religion widely known these days?

@ironsizide What does Otto know about a place called ‘Galillea’? Is that still around?

Fernando will go last on watch as he’s busy praying, but should a roll be required:

Keeping Watch
    When you’re on watch and something approaches the camp roll+Wis.
    On a 10+, you’re able to wake the camp and prepare a response, the camp takes +1 forward.
    On a 7-9, you react just a moment too late; the camp is awake but hasn’t had time to prepare. You have weapons and armor but little else.
    On a 6-, whatever lurks outside the campfire’s light has the drop on you.

Geth roll 2d6-1 for Robo-Vision

[OOC: I foresee a bit of bother before dawn...]

Robo-Vision:
    2d6-1 1 [2d6=1, 1]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    @Cheeseliker
    You don't need food or drink, but sleep is a thing most creatures need.
    By Nature Sustained
    You don’t need to eat or drink. If a move tells you to mark off a ration just ignore it.

Unless Wei truly believes he doesn't need sleep! Experience, or hubris?

The Party
    Toth walks the very boundary of the main room, her hand lightly brushing along the walls as she walks. She even walks through Sigurd, who seemingly is unperturbed by this! As she completes her circuit, she makes several small gestures and a light glow traces along where she touched the walls.

"Though I'm loathe to leave the relative protection of this room, it leaves my alarum spells somewhat less effective. Nevertheless, if something does manage to sneak in unnoticed...well, we'll notice it. I'll take the watch just before our newfound companion; I'm an early riser as-is."

The Current Watch Order
    1. Wei
    2. ???
    3. ???
    4. Toth
    5. Ronaldo

Hawthorne and Otto, how do you choose to order yourselves?

Nips on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Third shift — middle of the night. Don’t mind keeping odd hours one bit.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    (OOC: Oops, just didn't think Druids needed sleep for some reason, my bad. )

The Wylde do not believe, worship or pray to a particular nature 'god'. They believe in a spirituality that comes from time spent living harmoniously with nature. Nature, itself, is divine. Though some pray to powerful beings, receive power and do wondrous things using their faith, these 'gods' are all lesser beings than nature itself.

In society in general, the Sun God is well-known though not widely practiced anymore. Most people choose newer, more exciting gods or divines to worship. There are temples scattered around, but most in disrepair or poorly staffed.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    That leaves Otto with 2nd watch, which is fine by him.

Galillea is one of those places you always hear people talking about a relative or friend visiting, but you've never actually met anyone from there or has actually been there. People speak of a tropical paradise were one can spend the day watching various birds and other aeronautical fauna fly in and round the island. It is the claimed home of Brunhilde, an ancient sky whale who's the last of her kind. She swims the air currents around the island, who may appear in the corner of your eye, but always disappears behind the island the moment you turn your head to find her. Otto was even approached once to find Brunhilde, bur he refused the job as the ramblings of a deranged mind.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    So the night begins. The automatic paladin finds a leather chair draped in cobwebs and wipes it down. Anything is a bed if you try hard enough, as his grizzled old master used to say. He misses him terribly.

Fernando sits down and puzzles a few things out.

“That echo of a bartender, is it really a ghost? I’ve never seen one, put I always thought them angry and sorrowful things. Out for revenge, or on a final mission. He’s more like a memory stuck in place.”

“The creature I slew has a look of him, but not a mind. It’s almost as if they are each a fragment, bent out of shape. I pray we don’t yet see a third or forth piece!”

Fernando twitches strangely, the light of his eyes flickering. He stares at his hands.

“I’m quite tired.”, he turns to Hawthorne, “I remember... something... perhaps. Where... where is the island right now?”

He slumps into sleep before you can reply.

• Options
    (Happy Post-Holidays, Everyone!)

As the night wiles on, you think you hear braying in the distance. Through your fitful sleep, you fear you can make out the slavering cry of a multitude of beasts.
    You grip your weapon tightly and get what rest you can, fearful of what may break through your abode's entry at any moment.

And yet, nothing disturbs your rest.

It is morning, and with your fatigue shaken off, you begin to prepare for the new day.

(Consume a ration each, and heal as appropriate for Making Camp. If someone's short, we'll find someone that has one for you.)

• Options
    “Ah! The Father rises again, and so must we.”, says Fernando.

The automaton paladin kicks open the door of the bar and thrusts his halberd into the open morning air. All good.

“A fine night’s rest it wasn’t, but it seems it’s been enough to shake off whatever ailment was afflicting me. I recall a bit more now. I came here with my master to see what had become of the local temple, and the peasants seemed strange to me, and especially unwilling to answer our questions. Later, much later, we did gain audience with the ruler of this island... I think...”

“I must be honest with you, my memory is... Not what it should be.”

He scratches his chin.

“Cavalier! I’ll follow your lead. Where to next?”

Fernando is from another time, and assumes Otto is in charge, for surely the others are of a lower class than a military man from the Osnier Empire.

[OOC: Fernando needs ration badly. I guess his stomach is a furnace?]

• Options
    "Fernando! Heads up!" Otto tosses a spare ration to the automatic paladin. "I think it's safe to say there's no untainted living souls left here. Perhaps it's time we started back up the mountain and paid our host a visit. Provided he's still around, of course. Any objections?"

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    “None from I! Let’s go, post haste!”, says Fernando with a cheer, “Say, I seem to recall...”

Geth roll 2d6 to Spout Lore

Fernando tells Otto all he can about the mountain.

to Spout Lore:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

• Options
    "...the Baron spent decades mining out the elaborate complex within the mountains, first using the labor from nearby villages but eventually finishing the project with scores of Automatic Workers."

• Options
    Hawthorne raises his puffy eyebrows and inclines his head towards the door, and the conspicuously empty town. "And you really have to wonder -- what happened to the non-automatic workers, when the Baron didn't need them any more?"

• Options
    “It is our duty to find out.”, Fernando declares, slamming his fist into his palm dramatically, before catching his halberd as it slowly falls. “Oops!”

With that Fernando sets off through town, the spearhead, ready to take on whatever obstacle or foe might assail the party. He already thinks of himself as your bodyguard, needed or not.

His resolve is only shaken when he spies rotten clothing hanging from a line, blowing in the breeze. They’ve been there a long time... and the various sizes...

But he presses on, if a tad more subdued.

“Hawthorne, isn’t it? You look very, err, foreign! Which is to say perfectly fine, the Imperial reach is far and wide these days. Can I ask, are you also a man of faith? What is it you believe?”

It’s a genuine enough question, all the gods are real, his is just best.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gufWmEkhG-g&list=PLguypC7Wz_NZen9j89GyFv-r7SfUYaETz&index=11&t=0s

[OOC: Is it straight up the mountain Nips or is there a bit more to get through town?]

• Options
    edited January 2020
    [Play to find out what happens! Someone found something in the administrative building, and there's any number of unexplored locales in the town. All any of you need to do is pick a direction! :D

I'd suggest a quick review of the last page or so of thread; otherwise, I can throw up a synopsis later tonight.]

Nips on
  • Options
    (holidays are difficult posting times for me. Wei would definitely suggest going to the admin building.)

• Options
    [No problem, I'm right there with you! There's no rush from me on my end here.
    Hope everyone has a fun and safe New Year's!]

• Options
    "There is a functioning engine we should take a look at in the administration building. There is also a dangerous creature of some sort as well. We should head there but be wary of what other surprises we may find." Wei leads the way if everyone follows.

• Options
    Otto take up rearguard, following the group toward the town hall. He keeps his head on a swivel; his experience in the bar fresh in his mind. He keeps his flintlock drawn and held across his chest, ready for immediate action.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Fernando jogs up to Wei to keep pace, then falls into a ready march, his halberd held in both hands.

“Should any creature emerge I’ll be the first to strike!”, he says jovially.

The mechanical paladin is becoming worried by how little he remembers. Especially about the island’s master. What were they like? What did they even look like? Why can’t he recall?

Geth roll 2d6 to Spout Lore

[I was gonna add only say what won’t spoil things, but I’ll be satisfied with your completely or subtly wrong answer.

I’m still busy abroad so whenever @Nips thinks I’ve been gone an appropriate amount feel free to NPCify Fernando]

to Spout Lore:
    2d6 5 [2d6=1, 4]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    The Party

The trip through town is relatively short, only a few minutes at most. What is more surprising than the brevity of the trip is the scenery.

The people. It's as if the town turned on, and the streets are bustling with the throngs moving about their day. It would seem miraculous until you realize that they barely even recognize your presence.

Ghosts. Specters. Phantasms. Projections. Whatever the term, none of them are flesh-and-blood real. Much like the bartender, they exist only as echoes of a people long since disappeared.

The few minutes pass in a blink, and you are left staring at the edifice of the town hall.

Fernando

What were they like? What did they even look like? Why can’t he recall?

It's a blank. Not even as if you had a memory, and can't vaguely recall. It's like you enter your mind palace and find an entire wing of the palace vanished into a stark white void, where baubles and trinkets of memory have been replaced with nothingness.

You are momentarily shaken.

• Options
    "So," Hawthorne says, nervously tossing his quarterstaff from hand to hand, "Spider creature. Honored Druid, in your opinion, can we get to the Engine without disturbing the inhabitant?"

• Options
    edited January 2020
    The paladin stumbles, his legs weak. He rests against his halberd a moment.

Perhaps to reassert himself, Fernando says, “I won’t disturb it if we need not, but I cannot abide an ambush. Such tactics are beneath me. If we near the creature, I will challenge it openly, there’ll be no back stabbing from the shadows.”

He breathes heavily, or at least his chest heaves as if under great stress, and he looks this way and that for any trouble. He too awaits the druid’s reply.

[OOC: Due to an oath Fernando took for a few minor abilities earlier at the tavern, he can only fight with honour.]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Wei shakes his head. "I'm afraid I disturbed it from its slumber when I left. We could attempt to sneak by. Best to let creatures be, if possible, in my mind. If it does spot us, I have no doubt it will attack." Wei leads the way into the town hall.

• Options
    The front door is ajar seemingly as you remember leaving it, the two Automatic Soldiers flanking it continuing to hold their lifeless stances. The front foyer and lobby are whisper quiet; whatever inhabits this building is not seemingly in wait here.

You know the way. Describe for me how you lead the party through the town hall.

• Options
    Wei tells the crew to move quietly but with purpose. He pads down the hallway on his bare feet, checking doorways and rooms along the way. As they get close to the room where the creature was, he slows down. "Let us attempt to pass in peace and silence."

geth roll 2d6+0 (defy danger: dex)

(defy danger: dex):
    2d6+0 6 [2d6=5, 1]

• Options
    [I'm not one to tell anyone how to live their lives, but if someone wants to ante up an Aid roll here Wei's really on the cusp, and bad things are gonna go down if this stays at a roll of 6!]
    [Remember all those growls overnight at the bar? Yup, I do....]

• Options
    Otto follows behind Wei, gun at the ready. His eyes dart from door to door, hall to hall as they proceed. This reminds me of that time I had to hunt down that vampire on the other side of the Wall. I hope this beast is easier to kill that with a stake through the heart.

Geth, roll 2d6 for Aid

[OOC: I think Wei an I have a bond for a +1 to this roll, but I don't see it on my char sheet so I forgot to right it down and it may not apply here. GM's discretion.

Aid:
    2d6 8 [2d6=5, 3]

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    As Wei leads the party deeper into the civic edifice it's Otto's keen eyes that spot it first: thin strands of nearly-transparent webbing, strung between every opposing doorway at roughly shin height. Carefully leaning to peer through a nearby doorway, you see that the webbing eventually ties off to handfuls of bric-a-brac; makeshift noise traps litter this hallway almost from top to bottom.

A Hard Choice: You can choose to take the direct route to the office with the Astrum Engine, but the party can't possibly avoid setting off a noise trap in the process. Or, you can find a alternate route, but that will cost time and take you through more of the building in the process.

Those familiar snarling howls from the nighttime have picked up again, and are seemingly drawing closer...

Nips on
  • Options
    Wei turns to the group. "I say we move fast and make a stand in the room with the engine. We can make a stand in that room and use tight corridors and doorway to ensure we aren't overrun. How's that sound?"

• Options
    Otto lets loose a stream of swear words that would make a sky sailor blush, softly. "I don't like this. But considering Fernando is looking for a stand up fight, we don't want to waste time, and you think we can use terrain to our advantage, I'm fine with the direct route." he holster his pistol and draws steel, figuring on close quarters fighting and a tool to deal with the webbing in a pinch. "Let's be quick about it because we're going to alert the denizens one way or the other. Lead the way..." Otto pauses for effect. "Wei."

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Wei looks at Otto but doesn't respond. Silently, he turns and leads the way quickly towards the Engine.

• Options
    Wei’s confidence and knowledge pull at something in Fernando, and he rushes after him in an odd tip-toe run. He hopes to keep quiet too, but it’s hard when you’re made of metal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxN5BTpivxs

Fernando needs to focus, be the paladin, be the paladin!

To that end he will stand in Wei’s defence, taking on anything that might harm him.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for Defend

Defend, a basic move:

When you stand in defense of a person, item, or location under attack, roll+Con.
    On a 10+, hold 3.
    On a 7–9, hold 1.
    As long as you stand in defense, when you or the thing you defend is attacked you may spend hold, 1 for 1, to choose an option:
    - Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself
    - Halve the attack’s effect or damage
    - Open up the attacker to an ally giving that ally +1 forward against the attacker
    - Deal damage to the attacker equal to your level

Defend:
    2d6+2 7 [2d6=1, 4]