Options

Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    Creating a little inconvenience for people isn't eco terrorism.

Doesn't he screw with the weather system to scare people?

That sounds like the most literal eco-terrorism possible.

It's pretty goddamn illegal at the very least. It's one of the episodes best forgotten for good reason.

I think doing it on Risa is what saved him. The impression I got from how they treated the fundamentalists is that Risa has an official or unofficial policy of not charging tourists unless absolutely unavoidable. I think the most punishment Worf could expect would be being told never to return.

Well with the fundamentalist protesters the Risan attitude was if it makes them happy. But Worf created a planetary monsoon

And the fundamentalists burst into a resort with (drained) phaser rifles. If "making everyone else's vacation worse" was a reason to press charges, they would have done it then.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Strikor wrote: »
    Hoz wrote: »
    Creating a little inconvenience for people isn't eco terrorism.

Doesn't he screw with the weather system to scare people?

That sounds like the most literal eco-terrorism possible.

It's pretty goddamn illegal at the very least. It's one of the episodes best forgotten for good reason.

I think doing it on Risa is what saved him. The impression I got from how they treated the fundamentalists is that Risa has an official or unofficial policy of not charging tourists unless absolutely unavoidable. I think the most punishment Worf could expect would be being told never to return.

Well with the fundamentalist protesters the Risan attitude was if it makes them happy. But Worf created a planetary monsoon

And the fundamentalists burst into a resort with (drained) phaser rifles. If "making everyone else's vacation worse" was a reason to press charges, they would have done it then.

That's part of what makes that episode so dumb. You're telling me the planetary authorities wouldn't immediately jail a group of people who made an assault and took hostages? In a time where the Maquis are a thing? Also Worf gives them the ability to cause planetary earthquakes strong enough to tear down buildings, he's responsible, and it's insane that it isn't an immediate kicking out of starfleet for something like that.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The universe cuts Worf some slack because he's always getting his ass kicked.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Anybody else find the Romulan makeup in Picard pretty inconsistent with TNG/DS9?

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Eh, it was close enough. At least it wasnt as drastic as how klingons look in discovery, which still makes no sense to me but whatever I'll accept it i guess.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Anybody else find the Romulan makeup in Picard pretty inconsistent with TNG/DS9?

Yes, but I'm glad. It's bringing them back to how they were in TOS and dropping the weird head ridges.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Edit: Whoops

Winky on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The fact that Zhaban has head loaf but none of the other Romulans do made me think that maybe the Romulans on this show are part human? But that doesn't quite track since so many Romulans don't have the loaf. So I guess they're just resetting the look which I prefer.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Maybe he's part reman..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    The fact that Zhaban has head loaf but none of the other Romulans do made me think that maybe the Romulans on this show are part human? But that doesn't quite track since so many Romulans don't have the loaf. So I guess they're just resetting the look which I prefer.

Could also just be different loafs in different parts of the Romulan empire?

Alternatively they do not discuss it with outsiders

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I'm just starting to rewatch DS9, and are there any Cardassian characters who show up who aren't huge dicks? I honestly can't remember.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Garak. :)

Damar starts as one, but he gets better. That's a few seasons from now, though.

Ziyal. Tekeny Ghemor.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Damar has one of my favourite character arcs in any tv series, he's great.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Ironically I just watched the episode about a good Cardassian in the first season.

Now we're onto the Bajoran Fundamentalist episode and I'm already sighing inwardly.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    So I'm just starting to rewatch DS9, and are there any Cardassian characters who show up who aren't huge dicks? I honestly can't remember.

There are a lot of good Cardassians who want to reform Cardassia but most of them are one-off characters. Most of the recurring Cardassians are villains or Garaks.

• Options
    by which we mean, utter bastards, but sympathetic and entertaining ones.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Could also just be different loafs in different parts of the Romulan empire?

Alternatively they do not discuss it with outsiders

Oh my god, Karen, you can't just ask people why they've got loaf!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Kira's Cardassian dad is a good guy.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Garak is the best.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

After watching Renegade Cut's video about Rick Berman I'm really upset that we missed out on a Garak Bashir romance

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

After watching Renegade Cut's video about Rick Berman I'm really upset that we missed out on a Garak Bashir romance

What are you talking about ? It's called "every single time Garak and Bashir are in a scene together."

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    MorganV wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    One other factor as to why Picard might not be recognized so easily: I suspect that the Federation deliberately avoids making a big deal of its war heroes.

You could get into situations where the name is known, but not doing many interviews and staying out of the limelight, Picard just isn't that recognizable the way that talking heads on TV are recognizable.

Except for the interview a few days before, where he tore strips off StarFleet in a pretty impressive shitfit. That's the key argument against the lack of recognition. If he'd been silent for the decade plus, I'd still find it unlikely, but believable. That guy wasn't just random scrub off the street. He's a member of StarFleet.

That interview was enough to have Admiral Clancy tell him to cram it.
    "Sheer fucking hubris. You think you could just waltz back in here and be entrusted taking men and women into space? Don't you think I was watching the holo the other day along with everyone else in the galaxy?"

Now, the last phrase is obviously hyperbole, but it does make it clear that the holo went out for mass consumption, and rejects the possibility that the interview was recorded but not disseminated (ie, Starfleet locking it down, and only higher ups having seen it). That even an ensign wouldn't have seen it either live, or a youtube-equivalent clip, of a flag officer in your service, losing it on mass media, just doesn't strike me as plausible.
    I gotta say I really like Picard as a show but as a continuation of TNG, I don't like it at all

It strains my credulity beyond the point of breaking that Picard only knows one admiral and it's one of the "fuck romulans" admirals. Surely this was a contentious topic in Starfleet right?

Why wouldn't he go to an admiral who 1. doesn't hate him and 2. was probably watching that holo nodding solemnly

and the fact that he wouldn't go to Geordi, Data's best friend, is kind of a slap in the face to Geordi. If he'd called him up the second he found Data's daughter she might still be alive, he's a starship captain... normally I hate blatant callbacks, but if we're going to have Picard, the entire show is already a callback

They already have a solid out too without everyone suddenly wanting nothing to do with Picard in an organization as large as starfleet, Irumodic Syndrome! They called back to it this episode, and Starfleet knows that he might end up getting it, his story sounds crazy!

Sweeping all that aside, if I just assume this character is Jean Luke Picard, Picard's unseen twin brother who was also a captain but not nearly as famous as him and was also best friends with commander data, this is an excellent Star Trek show.

Bogart on
  • Options
    @override367 Can you spoiler block some of that?

• Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

Good. The TNG/DS9 Romulan makeup was moronic. The who reason/ theme of the Romulans is that they are impossible to tell apart from Vulcans. Because you know, they are Vulcans

• Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    It strains my credulity beyond the point of breaking that Picard only knows one admiral and it's one of the "fuck romulans" admirals. Surely this was a contentious topic in Starfleet right?

Why wouldn't he go to an admiral who 1. doesn't hate him and 2. was probably watching that holo nodding solemnly

He's meeting with the CNC "Commander in Chief" (check the dialog when he gets his visitor's badge -- Picard: "I have a meeting with the CNC"). This is the senior most admiral who is in charge of all of Starfleet. Probably equivalent to the US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff or the First Sea Lord of the Royal Navy.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Commander_in_chief

ydejin on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The loaf was a century-long prank by the Romulans to confuse the hell out of the Federation. They finally gave up after no one seemed to notice the change.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The thing about that admiral and Starfleet is
    She brings up perfectly valid points. She brings up things that would give even a normal, educated, liberal-minded Starfleet person pause. Allies of the federation were discussing leaving the federation over helping Romulans. Ships were already stretched thin, then Utopia Plenicia is destroyed. Argument can be made, perfectly validly, that the Admiral is right and Picard is wrong.

Honestly I much, much prefer it when Star Trek does moral questions this way. It's more intellectually honest. Usually when there's a controversial moral question, the arguments behind each side are a lot more complex than "lol I hate minorities" (I say usually, because there have been a lot more "lol I hate minorities" coming out of the woodwork since 2014 or maybe earlier. But even those people will have more nuanced positions if you try to talk to them, which I'm not implying changes the fact that they're wrong, but gives you an idea of why people come to wrong decisions in the first place.)

So yeah, the positions that the Admiral gives are based in fear of the future and preserving what we have. Which, of course, is also the position behind Brexit and voting for Trump, but the Admiral would be one of the people looking at history books of Trump in disgust and wondering how any people could be so misguided. The thing we fear will always be changing, the risk to what we have will always be something different, but it's a natural, perhaps evolutionary, position for a human to take. It's harder to say, "in order to preserve what we have we MUST risk it in just this sort of way"

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Admirals aren't god-kings unto themselves. They operate within a chain of command with clear spheres of responsibility. Picard isn't just asking to get reassigned. He's asking to be reinstated and for a ship and crew. That likely requires a certain level of authority and a certain type of dispensation from specific people and departments, not just any old admiral.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

What are you talking about ? It's called "every single time Garak and Bashir are in a scene together."

And then compare with all the "real" Bashir romance subplots. They're all terrible or forgettable. Even if they needed to avoid The Gay, I would replace every Bashir romance scene with a scene of Bashir and Garak having a conversation over lunch and not think twice.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    She brings up perfectly valid points. She brings up things that would give even a normal, educated, liberal-minded Starfleet person pause. Allies of the federation were discussing leaving the federation over helping Romulans. Ships were already stretched thin, then Utopia Plenicia is destroyed. Argument can be made, perfectly validly, that the Admiral is right and Picard is wrong.

Honestly I much, much prefer it when Star Trek does moral questions this way. It's more intellectually honest. Usually when there's a controversial moral question, the arguments behind each side are a lot more complex than "lol I hate minorities" (I say usually, because there have been a lot more "lol I hate minorities" coming out of the woodwork since 2014 or maybe earlier. But even those people will have more nuanced positions if you try to talk to them, which I'm not implying changes the fact that they're wrong, but gives you an idea of why people come to wrong decisions in the first place.)

So yeah, the positions that the Admiral gives are based in fear of the future and preserving what we have. Which, of course, is also the position behind Brexit and voting for Trump, but the Admiral would be one of the people looking at history books of Trump in disgust and wondering how any people could be so misguided. The thing we fear will always be changing, the risk to what we have will always be something different, but it's a natural, perhaps evolutionary, position for a human to take. It's harder to say, "in order to preserve what we have we MUST risk it in just this sort of way"
    i have a feeling her animosity is more to do with knowing Picard's track record with "saving lives" and just how much twisting his arm the crew had to do to get him to do the right thing.

Also it would have been doubly hilarious if she was Janeway.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    DanHibiki wrote: »

i have a feeling her animosity is more to do with knowing Picard's track record with "saving lives" and just how much twisting his arm the crew had to do to get him to do the right thing.

That cast change would have been pretty great, but I have a feeling it would have created animosity among some fans and I think they're making an effort to not create animosity.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

That cast change would have been pretty great, but I have a feeling it would have created animosity among some fans and I think they're making an effort to not create animosity.
    Even with the double whammy meme of "Admirals in Star Trek are terrible" and "Janeway is a psychopath", I think that might have been a bridge too far. The character needs to be completely hostile to Picard for the scene to work. Having a known... "heroic main character" for lack of a better term wouldn't work. Again even with the Janeway memes, I couldn't see her flying off the handle like that. It'd probably work if she was more of an inept stonewalling admiral. "I sympathize with you, but my hands are tied here" sort of thing. Not "Sheer fucking hubris" though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    If trying to rescue Romulans had allowed the synths to destroy starfleet's access to coffee, I think Janeway would have worked. That's a far bleaker future than they were going for though.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Even with the double whammy meme of "Admirals in Star Trek are terrible" and "Janeway is a psychopath", I think that might have been a bridge too far. The character needs to be completely hostile to Picard for the scene to work. Having a known... "heroic main character" for lack of a better term wouldn't work. Again even with the Janeway memes, I couldn't see her flying off the handle like that. It'd probably work if she was more of an inept stonewalling admiral. "I sympathize with you, but my hands are tied here" sort of thing. Not "Sheer fucking hubris" though.
    It'd also reinforce all the misogynist neckbeard opinions that permitting a female Captain was a mistake. I'm old enough to remember those "debates". And I'd rather not relitigate that again.

I didn't like Janeway. But it wasn't because she was a woman, it's because I just didn't like Voyager and thought it was a bad show. Kim, Chakotay, Neelix especially, were just terrible up until I stopped watching it. Most of the other mains were up and down. The only consistent good character on that show was a hologram. It wasn't because I didn't give it a chance (pretty sure I got into season 3), and it wasn't because the Captain was a woman. But for a lot of people that last was a sticking point.

• Options
    Kate Mulgrew hated Captain Janeway, too. We are all united in our contempt for such a poorly-written, schizophrenic character.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Except for maybe 5 episodes I think Janeway is good

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    Kate Mulgrew hated Captain Janeway, too. We are all united in our contempt for such a poorly-written, schizophrenic character.
    Maybe we are, but the character certainly has her defenders among the Trek faithful and there's really very little for Chabon/Goldsman/Kurtz to gain by going out of their way to alienate them.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    My TNG watch has stalled. been stuck on the outrageous okona for about a day.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    that's a hard one to get past, yes.

This discussion has been closed.