Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    whats the story status of geordi in canon i have no idea

could he show up or is he pepperoni

In jail for Holocrimes

If you commit holocrimes they lock you up in the holojail, which is actually pretty great as far as prisons go.

I remember the look of the Holosuites of DS9 and how small they looked once they where turned off.

Which kind of means that Take Me out to the Holosuites was just a bunch of people standing right next to each other with the Holosuite giving each person their personal perspective and simulation. Which raises the question; why didn't any of them hit each other when they where swinging the baseball bat?

Or in other words Holodecks/Suites are stupid and don't really add anything to a show about exploring outer space. Like its great that you can simulate a small Irish village on a holodeck, but if that is the story you want to write about then why are you writing for star trek?

I concede Vic Fontaine and Lt Barclay stories, but the Baseball episode could have taken place on a planet for the same effect.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

In jail for Holocrimes

If you commit holocrimes they lock you up in the holojail, which is actually pretty great as far as prisons go.

I remember the look of the Holosuites of DS9 and how small they looked once they where turned off.

Which kind of means that Take Me out to the Holosuites was just a bunch of people standing right next to each other with the Holosuite giving each person their personal perspective and simulation. Which raises the question; why didn't any of them hit each other when they where swinging the baseball bat?

Or in other words Holodecks/Suites are stupid and don't really add anything to a show about exploring outer space. Like its great that you can simulate a small Irish village on a holodeck, but if that is the story you want to write about then why are you writing for star trek?

I concede Vic Fontaine and Lt Barclay stories, but the Baseball episode could have taken place on a planet for the same effect.

Accidently creating sentient consciousnesses like every other week.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Also about saving the Romulans, its kind of a shame that nobody mentioned saving the klingons in the aftermath of the Praxis explosion. I mean the Federation had a way more difficult relationship with them, what with them almost destroying the federation in their war.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Also about saving the Romulans, its kind of a shame that nobody mentioned saving the klingons in the aftermath of the Praxis explosion. I mean the Federation had a way more difficult relationship with them, what with them almost destroying the federation in their war.

well that was a bit different. The cleanup efforts nearly destroyed the Klingon economy and they were saved by declaring peace with the Federation and opening trade.
    I doubt Klingons want to acknowledge that, what with saving the day the Ferengi way.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Ep 3 was pretty good.

I already like Captain Rios and and watching Zhaban and Laris go to work against the Romulan raid was pretty great. That scene in particular was actually shot pretty well too with a hint of grittiness you don't see in Star Trek all that often. Space ship looks pretty cool too, though I really don't like the modern take on spaceship interiors all these shows do now, they're so lifeless.

The only real groaner was that god awful "I think I'm falling in love with you" scene. Also all that jazz about cooperative healing networks came off a like a bunch gibberish that was somehow worse than the regular technobabble.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Wait y'all are talking about Episode 3 and NO ONE mentions
    the return of Hugh?!?!?!

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's been known for a while that he would be showing up.

Also it's nice to have a better idea what the Romulan reclamation project actually is and how they got their hands on that borg cube.

One thing that bugged me:
    Why is what's-her-face getting all jealous of Picard's house? I thought this was a post scarcity money free society? I have to assume she's living in a trailer in the desert by choice.

Also, is it just me or is the audio mix on this show kinda fucky? Hard to hear what people are saying in a lot of scenes.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    So about episode 3
    Are seriously doing more incest bullshit in a premiere show? I cannot fucking stand this stuff with the romulan siblings.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options

Also it's nice to have a better idea what the Romulan reclamation project actually is and how they got their hands on that borg cube.

Why is what's-her-face getting all jealous of Picard's house? I thought this was a post scarcity money free society? I have to assume she's living in a trailer in the desert by choice.

Also, is it just me or is the audio mix on this show kinda fucky? Hard to hear what people are saying in a lot of scenes.
    well i mean she's vaping space opium in the desert so I figure it's some sort of Hunter S. Thompson fantasy thing going on.
    and yeah audio mixing is bad.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I mean, probably not everyone can have a castle. Land and History are things you can't easily make more of.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

It’s post scarcity in that she gets a prefab and maybe a replicator so she doesn’t starve. It’s not “Everyone gets a grand chateau with lovely vineyards.”

The show has made several mentions that replicator food is also not exactly high cuisine. There’s still class and privilege.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

Ah. That's why I avoid spoilers and rumors. So I can actually just enjoy stuff that shows up organically.

Then again, sometimes it backfires. I think I would've enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker a lot more if I knew going in that
    Palpatine was going to show up and the entire movie was going to be a shitshow. Instead, I ended up just staring at the screen, mouth agape at how bad it was, right from the opening crawl.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options

It’s post scarcity in that she gets a prefab and maybe a replicator so she doesn’t starve. It’s not “Everyone gets a grand chateau with lovely vineyards.”

The show has made several mentions that replicator food is also not exactly high cuisine. There’s still class and privilege.
    "Why are you living in a Breaking Bad trailer in the middle of the desert"
    "Hey man, the only think I have is a magic box that makes anything I could wish for. It's not like I have TWO magic boxes. SHEEESH!"

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular

Geordi's definitely still around, I'm pretty sure. He shows up in the Picard prequel comic that also explains how Picard met Laris and Zhaban. Apparently it has been confirmed
    neither Geordi or Worf are going to show up in season 1. Geordi was on Mars when it got attacked by the synths, but he apparently survived. Not sure what he's up to now but I'd imagine he's still making space ships?

Damn I was really hoping that
    Geordi would show up commanding Challenger, even if for a brief moment. They could do so much beautiful shit with that Galaxy model they made for episode 1.

• Options
    ydejinydejin Registered User regular

Geordi's definitely still around, I'm pretty sure. He shows up in the Picard prequel comic that also explains how Picard met Laris and Zhaban. Apparently it has been confirmed
    neither Geordi or Worf are going to show up in season 1. Geordi was on Mars when it got attacked by the synths, but he apparently survived. Not sure what he's up to now but I'd imagine he's still making space ships?

In Episode 2 the show confirms that Geordi is around and okay.
    While Geordi was assigned to Mars when it was attacked, he must still be alive. In Episode 2 (~36 minutes in to the Episode) Picard is discussing with his Romulan helpers that he needs a ship. Zhaban (the male Romulan) suggests he should get together with Riker, Worf, and La Forge. So Geordi must be alive.
    Zhaban wrote:
    You need help, you need protection, ... you need a crew: Riker, Worf, La Forge
    Picard wrote:
    No. I thought about it and they would do it in a heartbeat, and that's precisely why I cannot ask them. They would put themselves at risk out of loyalty to me, and I do not want to go through that again. [this is perhaps a reference to Data's sacrifice in Nemesis?]

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    ydejin wrote: »

In Episode 2 the show confirms that Geordi is around and okay.
    While Geordi was assigned to Mars when it was attacked, he must still be alive. In Episode 2 (~36 minutes in to the Episode) Picard is discussing with his Romulan helpers that he needs a ship. Zhaban (the male Romulan) suggests he should get together with Riker, Worf, and La Forge. So Geordi must be alive.
    Zhaban wrote:
    You need help, you need protection, ... you need a crew: Riker, Worf, La Forge
    Picard wrote:
    No. I thought about it and they would do it in a heartbeat, and that's precisely why I cannot ask them. They would put themselves at risk out of loyalty to me, and I do not want to go through that again. [this is perhaps a reference to Data's sacrifice in Nemesis?]
    Data but it also looks like Starfleet purged at least one of his loyalists and stripped her security clearance immediately after he resigned.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Having watched the first three episodes,
    I can see why the reviews thought they were slow paced, being we're only now having the space adventure. A modern show might have done this at the end of episode one or two.

But it's all deliberate, and soaking up the world Picard lives in has been a good time, if a little sad.

• Options
    TGalahadTGalahad Registered User regular
    Watched episode 3. Called my mother for her thoughts once she watched it too:
    She was worried about Picard getting sunburned on his head.

One minor detail I’m enjoying from the Earth adventures is that in this case, fast travel makes complete sense and doesn’t break the plot. Suck on that GoT.

• Options
    TGalahad wrote: »
    Watched episode 3. Called my mother for her thoughts once she watched it too:
    She was worried about Picard getting sunburned on his head.

One minor detail I’m enjoying from the Earth adventures is that in this case, fast travel makes complete sense and doesn’t break the plot. Suck on that GoT.

And on that note
    I like that they have the Location text for some places but not all. Chateau De Picard or Futuristic Boston, yeah. San Francisco or Paris, no need, y'all know them.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    It occurred to me after watching episode 3
    That what we're getting is as if during TNG the episode Conspiracy (and it's follow-up episodes) lasted an entire season instead of the small amount of time it gets for TNG. The buildup is longer, making the stakes more pronounced and the dangers feel more real.

Maybe TNG would have been too uneasy with Conspiracy as the undercurrent for too long, but it would have been interesting. Especially the 'rebuilding' portion.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    That what we're getting is as if during TNG the episode Conspiracy (and it's follow-up episodes) lasted an entire season instead of the small amount of time it gets for TNG. The buildup is longer, making the stakes more pronounced and the dangers feel more real.

Maybe TNG would have been too uneasy with Conspiracy as the undercurrent for too long, but it would have been interesting. Especially the 'rebuilding' portion.
    Conspiracy was originally going to be an actual cabal of Starfleet admirals doing nefarious stuff, but I believe Roddenberry vetoed that for his idealistic reasons, hence the proto-borg.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

Conspiracy was originally going to be an actual cabal of Starfleet admirals doing nefarious stuff, but I believe Roddenberry vetoed that for his idealistic reasons, hence the proto-borg.

Well it's functionally the same
    Whether space parasites or in the case of Picard, extra-secret Tal Shiar, it's not really the admirals doing it so much as a faction outside of the federation manipulating things.

Which reminds me, whoever was cringing at the hunky Romulan dude's "I think I'm falling in love with you", I think that line is meant to be cringy. He's taking advantage of a moment of emotional turmoil to say something manipulative to her. For someone not feeling confused and emotional the line wouldn't work, for someone in a haze like Soji was in that moment, the line works perfectly.

Edit: You know, I added the stuff about "it's functionally the same" because I know some fans of Trek have a problem when Trek veers too far from Gene's dream that we, as humans, will have 'evolved' past the possibility of human failure, but I admit I never really liked the idea. It has an unintentional level of, "we white people have it all figured out, it's these other races that keep cocking shit up." Yeah, even though there were black people on the Enterprise and even though Romulans were almost entirely white (at least until Picard, where we get to seem some black Romulans finally). It's like by making the 'bad guys' white they "fixed" the problem of claiming that your race is the good one. That underlying idea always clanged for me, and I preferred stories that tried to change the dynamic, like the Unification storyline with Spock.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I gotta say, these romulan section 31 goons are super lame. What's the point of all that mass effect cosplay gear if a wine bottle still knocks you out?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I gotta say, these romulan section 31 goons are super lame. What's the point of all that mass effect cosplay gear if a wine bottle still knocks you out?
    Wine Bottle to the head is the tool equivalent of Double Fist to the Shoulderblades in the classic instant knockout move pantheon

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Commodore Oh
    are her sunglasses totally telling that she's romulan and not vulkan? My trek knowledge is limited, but Vulkan ist a bright desert planet while Romulus is all gloomy, right?
    Because otherwise that would be a weird looking costume choice.

honovere on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Commodore Oh
    are her sunglasses totally telling that she's romulan and not vulkan? My trek knowledge is limited, but Vulkan ist a bright desert planet while Romulus is all gloomy, right?
    Remans are particularly sensitive to light, I don't think Romulans have shown that tendency so far. Maybe (Disco Spoilers)
    She's from the mirror universe! But that would be very silly.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Commodore Oh

Would it be?
    Sunglasses are usually film shorthand for "Secret agent."

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I gotta be honest, I lol'd at
    The Men in Black Vulcan/Secret Romulan lady with her ridiculous Ray-Bans. I was expecting her to pull out one of those mind-wipe flashy sticks.

Also, is it just me or are they telegraphing really hard that
    the cyberneticist lady from Daystrom is a spy? Like they practically tatooed "I am a spy" on her forehead. They were so deliberate about it I have to assume the twist later on will be she's not a spy.

Finally...
    The ENH dude's accent was terrible. Holy crap. Does he give all his holograms a different accent so he can tell them apart? Kinda weird.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Which reminds me, whoever was cringing at the hunky Romulan dude's "I think I'm falling in love with you", I think that line is meant to be cringy. He's taking advantage of a moment of emotional turmoil to say something manipulative to her. For someone not feeling confused and emotional the line wouldn't work, for someone in a haze like Soji was in that moment, the line works perfectly.
    I think you're right that it is. It just wasn't acted very well so it came off really dumb IMO. Especially cause they seem to be telegraphing that he is falling in love with her at the end of the episode with his weird horny sister joking about it.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Has anyone else been slightly underwhelmed with the acting from Isa Briones (Dahj/Soji)? So far it hasn't been anything major, but there's a CW-teen-show vibe I get whenever she shows up on the screen. It may have been stronger in the latest episode than in the others. Maybe it's just me?

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    ep3
    Yeah other than the cheesy romulan villain speeches the only real clanger was the lady living in the hovel shack in the desert, how exactly does poverty work in a society without money? Tell us she was "living off the grid" or something like that then fine but I'd be really disappointed to find that the 24th century terran social security has been exaggerated in previous shows or that you have to be in StarFleets good graces to receive it.

Other than that Picard is keeping the quality level pretty constant, I'm enjoying the show a lot.

• Options
    Has anyone else been slightly underwhelmed with the acting from Isa Briones (Dahj/Soji)? So far it hasn't been anything major, but there's a CW-teen-show vibe I get whenever she shows up on the screen. It may have been stronger in the latest episode than in the others. Maybe it's just me?

I'm not impressed with her, but I think when you're in a show with such acting heavyweights that you're going to look bad unless you're really, really good.

Like I think 90% of the TNG crew acted at about that same level on the first TNG episode. Hell, even PatStew didn't feel that "lived in" on that first episode. I think she'll get better as she becomes more comfortable with the role.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    ep3
    Yeah other than the cheesy romulan villain speeches the only real clanger was the lady living in the hovel shack in the desert, how exactly does poverty work in a society without money? Tell us she was "living off the grid" or something like that then fine but I'd be really disappointed to find that the 24th century terran social security has been exaggerated in previous shows or that you have to be in StarFleets good graces to receive it.

Other than that Picard is keeping the quality level pretty constant, I'm enjoying the show a lot.

That and
    Rios says he's very expensive and the Doctor says she doesn't have a lot of money. My entire view of Federation economics is going nuts / so confused right now.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    ep3

That and
    Rios says he's very expensive and the Doctor says she doesn't have a lot of money. My entire view of Federation economics is going nuts / so confused right now.
    Money is still a thing in the galaxy. It is just that the federation doesn't use it. Rios is a space captain and so would need cash whenever he went outside fed space.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    ep3

She talks about losing her security clearance. It sounds like they basically erased her from the security apparatus, probably labeled her a conspiracy nut, and cut her off from her passion and the only world she knew. I suspect the shack in the desert is more a choice out of professional embarrassment, rage, and an unwillingness to start completely over, than it is necessity. Plenty of people who experience failure like that are more than happy to find some hole in the wall dive where they can lick their wounds, give in to vices, and feel very sorry for themselves. She even alludes to the fact that Picard more or less did the same thing, with the difference being that he could fall back onto the class and privilege of the family estate. Worth pointing out that governments also can absolutely punish people by denying them benefits, opportunities, and everything else in between, completely legal like, and that may have happened to Raffi as well.

It's definitely been weaker than others, but I also chalk that up to..
    It only really took a turn when they changed into the Soji part of the story, and her lines and scenes are shorter and far far weaker than the Dahj material. In a lot of ways Soji has seemed to me like a placeholder to keep that side of the plot simmering until Picard gets closer to finding her.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    ep3

She talks about losing her security clearance. It sounds like they basically erased her from the security apparatus, probably labeled her a conspiracy nut, and cut her off from her passion and the only world she knew. I suspect the shack in the desert is more a choice out of professional embarrassment, rage, and an unwillingness to start completely over, than it is necessity. Plenty of people who experience failure like that are more than happy to find some hole in the wall dive where they can lick their wounds, give in to vices, and feel very sorry for themselves. She even alludes to the fact that Picard more or less did the same thing, with the difference being that he could fall back onto the class and privilege of the family estate. Worth pointing out that governments also can absolutely punish people by denying them benefits, opportunities, and everything else in between, completely legal like, and that may have happened to Raffi as well.

It only really took a turn when they changed into the Soji part of the story, and her lines and scenes are shorter and far far weaker than the Dahj material. In a lot of ways Soji has seemed to me like a placeholder to keep that side of the plot simmering until Picard gets closer to finding her.
    Starfleet isn't the government though? It's the milit- *coughing fit-oh-shi-what have-i-done-cough-cough* ...peacekeeping, exploration and humanitarian aramada! It shouldn't have a say in who gets living standards on earth and even if it did, saying "you were on the wrong side of a debate NO FOOD FOR YOU" seems very un-federation-y.

Casual on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    ep3

Starfleet isn't the government though? It's the milit- *coughing fit-oh-shi-what have-i-done-cough-cough* ...peacekeeping, exploration and humanitarian aramada! It shouldn't have a say in who gets living standards on earth and even if it did, saying "you were on the wrong side of a debate NO FOOD FOR YOU" seems very un-federation-y.
    I mean, she's not exactly living hand to mouth. She lives in a prefab, but it seems to be a pretty nice futuristic prefab, based just on the outside and the state of her deck furniture. She still has a replicator and her fancy holo computer. She probably lives around as nice as I do. Just with less floor space. And miles and miles of yard.

She's doesn't have a literal centuries old castle like JL.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah that's the way I square it
    These people aren't starving, they have housing, food and water and can live basically where they want. But if
    your passion is, say, cybersecurity and you can no longer get TS clearance, then you maybe don't give a shit about anything anymore. You aren't dying, but you aren't happy either.

As for Captain Rios, he may not have "money", but he has a spaceship that looks more luxurious than the most luxurious modern car you can buy in 2020. It seems like a self-owned spaceship is the sort of thing you would need money (latinum?) for, if you want the ship for "free" you join Starfleet.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I'm not impressed with her, but I think when you're in a show with such acting heavyweights that you're going to look bad unless you're really, really good.

Like I think 90% of the TNG crew acted at about that same level on the first TNG episode. Hell, even PatStew didn't feel that "lived in" on that first episode. I think she'll get better as she becomes more comfortable with the role.

I actually think she's really good and have been pretty impressed with her in some scenes, I think she's just probably trained for a different style of TV than Trek. I imagine she will slip more comfortably into the role over time.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    ep3

It's more that a citizen with a black mark on their record, or someone considered a disgruntled or problem individual, could very quickly find themselves shut out of opportunities others would get. Sort of like how a felon in the US has little opportunity to make a better and productive life for themselves post prison, even though in theory, they're completely free. And it's the indifference of the federal government towards the consequences of incarceration that allows society to shun unmentionables. I could see the same thing happening to someone drummed out of the Star Fleet on earth, because you get the sense that Earth is Star Fleet and vice versa. Who's going to trust a rogue officer drummed out of Star Fleet?

However, in a lot of ways, Ro Laren is the counter example to that narrative. While her record was marred, she found a way back to the flagship and on her way to high level command, even if it was after loud objections by Picard and shitty treatment by the crew of the Enterprise at first. Of course Picard the show seems to saying this a far different Star Fleet now.

Dark_Side on
This discussion has been closed.