Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    Being the weak (and now much poorer thanks to this hobby) person I am I have already ordered the ISS to go along with my Saturn V and Lunar Lander.

Same here!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    There are leaked set names for a Summer Wave of Hidden Side! I am happy since I didn't think it would get more than 1 wave. Also my nephew really likes them.

I think I fell off when all the sets came with the same main characters. But there is still a lot cool there!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, we're getting a Lego building competition show hosted by Will Arnett.

Who will be taking a baseball bat to some of the models.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    There are leaked set names for a Summer Wave of Hidden Side! I am happy since I didn't think it would get more than 1 wave. Also my nephew really likes them.

I think I fell off when all the sets came with the same main characters. But there is still a lot cool there!

Yeah I’d like another set of teens to join the team. At least the janitor died during the first wave and came back in wave two as an undead skeleton.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

This looks to be essentially a baking show but with Lego. I assume the losers will have their work destroyed in various ways.

• Options

This looks to be essentially a baking show but with Lego. I assume the losers will have their work destroyed in various ways.

We've seen bat, rock, explosive...

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Is this something I can fairly blame millenials for? :P

• Options
    Apparently Lego is recapping Masters on their channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB3ry9BBxIU

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Is this something I can fairly blame millenials for? :P

Eh, a lot of the PT Clone Army models are pretty fun. Movable legs, opening doors, good stuff like that.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Apparently Lego is recapping Masters on their channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB3ry9BBxIU

I watched the show last night and it really was interesting and fun. It was a slight bummer that they did some animations on one build, then they showed close ups of a few others, then breezed over the rest. I was hoping to see all of the builds even though the Editors obviously didn't think they were interesting enough. Although this is a reality show (focusing on the drama/people), I wish they focused more on the builds.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

The darkest time line.
    Oh well, I guess it'll save me some money.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Which model did you want to win, Knight/See317? Personally I'm excited to see a UCS gunship as I was too poor when the first three were released to afford any Lego.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    finnith wrote: »
    Which model did you want to win, Knight/See317? Personally I'm excited to see a UCS gunship as I was too poor when the first three were released to afford any Lego.

I would have been excited to see the Bomber win, like, waiting in line on day 1 for my Lego store to open excited.
    If the Neb-B had won, it's one I would have put on the "pick it up eventually, budget permitting" list. It's a really interesting shape and I'm curious how they would have made it in Lego without overly compromising the structural integrity at a large build size.

I don't know why the gunship doesn't excite me. Maybe because I grew up on the OT and so those are the ships I want, the ships from later movies don't have the same connection.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    See, personally, I think the best thing that came out of the PT was the ship designs. They invoked the original Star Wars designs while being obvious tools of war where life had no meaning.

So you see things start with the sleek and elegant of Naboo's works, then you hit the "Oh we don't need to think about the practicalities of war" of the Jedi fighters and the landers and the dropships... then things grow more and more utilitarian as the war sinks in, leading to the Tridents and the Arcs and the interceptors and leading up to my favorite, the Venator.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    See, personally, I think the best thing that came out of the PT was the ship designs. They invoked the original Star Wars designs while being obvious tools of war where life had no meaning.

So you see things start with the sleek and elegant of Naboo's works, then you hit the "Oh we don't need to think about the practicalities of war" of the Jedi fighters and the landers and the dropships... then things grow more and more utilitarian as the war sinks in, leading to the Tridents and the Arcs and the interceptors and leading up to my favorite, the Venator.

I'm not saying that they're bad designs, I'm just saying that I don't have the same connection with the PT designs that I do with the OT designs.

I'm sure that if I had spent countless sleepovers watching pirated copies of the PT on rapidly failing VHS tapes, I'd probably feel the same way about the PT ships as I feel about the OT ships now.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I wanted the Neb B because the PT is BS and the OT is good.

Why yes I grew up on the OT and not PT, why do you ask?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    There are two seasons of a British Lego show that essentially the Bake-Off format you can probably find. It was on Channel 4. The host was a bit aggravating but the enthusiasm of the builders was great. Especially the kids.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I wanted the Nebulon B because there's never been a lego kit of it, period.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Nebulon B because there doesn't seem like any way to make a good model of it outside of UCS format.

Also of the prequel ships, I find the gunship ugly.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

The darkest time line.

It's the true darkest timeline for me because I'll end up buying it anyway since my son is a huge fan of the Clone Wars cartoon and wanted the republic gunship to win.

I was all about the Nebulon B though, since it's a cool ship and there have always been extremely few options for owning one in any format/media.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Ketar wrote: »

The darkest time line.

It's the true darkest timeline for me because I'll end up buying it anyway since my son is a huge fan of the Clone Wars cartoon and wanted the republic gunship to win.

I was all about the Nebulon B though, since it's a cool ship and there have always been extremely few options for owning one in any format/media.

*Whistles nonchalantly*

2DcD5m8l.jpg
    lARUHswl.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, I've had that Nebulon B for a while, but it's too damn small. Not as into the Starhawk though, unfortunately.

The SSD looks really nice in my display area though :D

Ketar on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Went to the new Lego store here in Ottawa with my daughter.

They had a big ‘ol “build your own mini fig” station in the middle of the store so I let her go at it. That only took three hours... sheeeeesh!

I’m glad she had fun though!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options

They had a big ‘ol “build your own mini fig” station in the middle of the store so I let her go at it. That only took three hours... sheeeeesh!

I've been two Two lego stores: One at the Mall of America, and one in the southwest suburbs of Chicago.

I've been in kind of a hurry both times.. but man, both stores would be like catnip to me.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I had a 3 hour layover in a Denmark airport and walked by 2 different LEGO stores. Fortunately I was coming home and had already spent a bunch of money on souvenirs (and couldn't carry anything more with me), because they had ALL the cool sets. Roller coasters. Fancy cars. Everything.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

How many did you build during that time?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I had a 3 hour layover in a Denmark airport and walked by 2 different LEGO stores. Fortunately I was coming home and had already spent a bunch of money on souvenirs (and couldn't carry anything more with me), because they had ALL the cool sets. Roller coasters. Fancy cars. Everything.

Denmark has at least two major airports...

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I'm not saying that they're bad designs, I'm just saying that I don't have the same connection with the PT designs that I do with the OT designs.

I'm sure that if I had spent countless sleepovers watching pirated copies of the PT on rapidly failing VHS tapes, I'd probably feel the same way about the PT ships as I feel about the OT ships now.

I'd also venture that the prequel time period has more fans now compared to a decade ago thanks to well done animated series that have run for several seasons that won over people that weren't fans of the prequel movies.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

I'd also venture that the prequel time period has more fans now compared to a decade ago thanks to well done animated series that have run for several seasons that won over people that weren't fans of the prequel movies.

That's true.
    The only Star Wars cartoons I had back in the day were Ewok Adventures and Droids.
    I don't remember anything about them beyond that they existed, but I feel pretty safe in the assumption that they didn't add a huge deal to the canon.

• Options

That's true.
    The only Star Wars cartoons I had back in the day were Ewok Adventures and Droids.
    I don't remember anything about them beyond that they existed, but I feel pretty safe in the assumption that they didn't add a huge deal to the canon.

Life Day's official! ... though that might be the holiday special.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Life Day is the holiday special. The two legged mounts came from the Ewok movie, not the cartoon. The Droids cartoon was split between two different story lines, I really liked the one two punk looking racers. I've been waiting for a Thall Joben reference to pop up somewhere for years. Also the Droids theme song is amazing.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »

Denmark has at least two major airports...

Copenhagen and Billund? But I don't think Billund handles nearly the traffic that Copenhagen does.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Picked up Brickmania's M3A1 Half Track (WWII U.S. Armored Personnel Carrier) and really love how this came together! Loaded it with some soldiers and extra M1919 .30 caliber Browning machine guns and anti-tank mines (the rounded printed tiles on the sides).

730cvljopjn2.jpg

Also put together their scaled down F-15 Eagle as a display model for my desk at work. Neat little build!

hu3r37yneon9.jpg

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Went to andy's brickshop in eastern PA yesterday. It was cool. Lots of loose bricks to look through, tons of figs and older sets and polybags. Great staff. If you're near Oxford vally PA I recommend it.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    LEGO Ideas new sets selected!

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-ideas-second-2019-review-stage-winners-announced/

Two winners selected:

The Medieval Blacksmith

resize:800:450

Winnie The Pooh

resize:800:450

Sets not selected:

UCS Space Shuttle Atlantis
    Thunderbirds are Go
    Pursuit of Flight (WWI biplanes)
    History Museum (modular)
    The Office
    NASA Spacecraft
    The Haunted Mansion 50th Anniversary
    The Seven Dwarfs House

Athenor on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I was hoping for the History Museum.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    That blacksmith house is fucking N O I C E.

I passed on the fishing shack, but I'm already thinking about where I'm gonna set up that blacksmith shop. I hope the eventual design keeps the erratic patchwork shingles - and that it's a full build, not a facade.

I am hoping that by promoting two - a cheaper themed set and a bigger set - that they'll keep the part count up on the blacksmith.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I was hoping for the History Museum.

I don't think there have been any modulars that have come out of the ideas program.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the modular ideas are influencing the mainline releases. But given they're 1-2 a year...

This discussion has been closed.