As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Well it took me a while, but I finally accidentally saw the ending of the game in a Youtube thumbnail by accident, probably because I was watching a bunch of "How to get started in Jedi Fallen Order" videos and the algorithm sucks.

This is the absolute worst youtube trend.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I had a bit of a giggle post-game when I was grinding out my last few achievements and realized how powerful the upgraded force powers were. I beat the game rolling like a madman and parrying. Blademaster Cal was pretty fun.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Side note: after dropping into Story Mode just to stomp Malicos and move on, I was disappointed to find out there's no way to replay bosses without re-running the campaign... I would have attempted the fight some more in normal mode if it was a possibility. :(

I'm being hard on some of the game's issues, but overall I'm really glad this game exists. I desperately wanted a new Star Wars singleplayer experience and Fallen Order is probably a best case scenario while EA holds the license.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »
    Side note: after dropping into Story Mode just to stomp Malicos and move on, I was disappointed to find out there's no way to replay bosses without re-running the campaign... I would have attempted the fight some more in normal mode if it was a possibility. :(

I'm being hard on some of the game's issues, but overall I'm really glad this game exists. I desperately wanted a new Star Wars singleplayer experience and Fallen Order is probably a best case scenario while EA holds the license.

Nah I think most of us here really enjoy the game. But recognize that there's flaws. Much like Breath of the Wild.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh yea. Please note I'm not saying this game doesn't have plenty of flaws.

Just pointing out some specific things that seem to be more on the user than the game.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Taximes wrote: »

Nah I think most of us here really enjoy the game. But recognize that there's flaws. Much like Breath of the Wild.

I have more complaints about Jedi Fallen Order than Breath of the Wild, but yeah both get me to want to play around in the world after I finished it.

Also I'm with you @Taximes in wishing that you could redo boss battles. There were some that I would have loved to do a rematch.
    Such like the AT-ST battles with full Force abilities. Those would be hilarious.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    A lot of the later bosses have specific vulnerable windows when you can hit them with powers. For instance I think you can push Malicos during his unblockable attacks. Slow basically works on everyone. And there are situations where using a force power might not work directly on a boss but can have a secondary effect that gives you an opening or causes damage.

Such as:
    pushing the exploding probe droid into the second sister.

Honestly I like the way the uses force powers. There’s a logic to it and for the most part there are few if any moments where they don’t work because reasons. You have to mix up your tactics a bit.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My main thing is, like with Malicos, you can sometimes knock him out of an Unblockable attack with push, but again sometimes he just ignores it, tanks the hit and them creams you. The game mechanics are fine, if they at all performed consistently

• Options
    My main thing is, like with Malicos, you can sometimes knock him out of an Unblockable attack with push, but again sometimes he just ignores it, tanks the hit and them creams you. The game mechanics are fine, if they at all performed consistently

I think that's mostly just an issue for that single fight. He was definitely harder to find openings than any other fight.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the game, though having to play with KBAM certainly made some of the platforming and combat more...interesting.

• Options
    Assuran wrote: »
    I enjoyed the game, though having to play with KBAM certainly made some of the platforming and combat more...interesting.

That had to suck during the skateboarding sections.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I couldn't even imagine playing this without my SN30Pro+

Edit: At least not well.

Edit2: on Grand Master difficulty having the ability to adjust the analog triggers on your controller to hyper-sensitivity is key.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It's crazy how early this game expects you to parry. Now that I'm used to it, it feels a lot better, but I found Sekiro's late parries far more intuitive

• Options
    It's crazy how early this game expects you to parry. Now that I'm used to it, it feels a lot better, but I found Sekiro's late parries far more intuitive

Parrying? I always tank with my face like a Champ.

Which is why I played the entire game on the easiest level.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I played on hard and did not use parry.

Just dodgedodgedodge

• Options
    Parrying doesn't seem strictly necessary and is kind of a risk in many fights, since it leads to weird retaliation attacks sometimes

I'm still really not clear on when I can and can't parry/dodge, or how invincible the dodge is. It doesn't seem consistent, or rather enemy attacks seem to have wildly different properties and interactions.

It certainly seems like a failed and released parry or a released block leaves you open for a moment, as I get hit while holding the block button sometimes after missing the timing

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    I feel like most of the retaliation swings from parrying led to instant kills or huge open windows if you parried those as well.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    You can tell the game wants you to parry, but it's so slow and fudgey that it's hard to rely on it. But then bosses like Malicos seem based around parrying.

• Options
    You can tell the game wants you to parry, but it's so slow and fudgey that it's hard to rely on it. But then bosses like Malicos seem based around parrying.

I just beat the game tonight on Jedi Master and I never really felt like I got the parrying down. I beat Malicos on my first try, but it was sloppy, and I mostly just blocked and dodged.

It really seems like you can't parry when the attack hits you; you should hit the parry way, way early so that your animation gets started, because it takes like a third of a second to actually move into place. This is horrible and isn't how parrying works in almost any other action games. It doesn't seem functional at all against e.g. the baton purge troopers, who attack so quickly.

It also really felt like if you failed to parry the first hit of a combo and blocked instead, you can't actually parry the other hits. Like you can't parry while in block stun. Again, that feels really horrible and frustrating; it isn't dynamic or exciting.

The last hour of the game was really fun though!
    I thought the ending was pretty stupid but, well, it's Star Wars

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Yeah I think if the controls had been like 10-20% tighter it would have felt a little better. I get the feeling they wanted there to be a reason not to parry all the time, so they made it punishing if you don't nail it/predict correctly. I liked dodging as an option but you could never really tell if you're actually gonna dodge out of an attack, I certainly couldn't dodge many of the boss' attacks or rather, couldn't reliably where it felt like the best option... If not for tips posted here about Malicos actually being able to be stunned with Force push (which again, was inconsistent if that will work). I know I'm harping on that fight and everyone says it's the "worst one" but for real it just reveals the rough edges of the game. The difficulty isn't in the game, it's fighting against the controls and somewhat janky engine.

I do hope they get to make another, and that it's a similar style but with just a lot more polish. It feels like a game that was pushed out maybe a month or two too early and it doesn't seem like it's getting any DLC so that's a shame. I'd probably buy a New Game + mode with more saber stuff, but then I'd just get mad all over again at certain parts.

And I'm still waiting for a game where the lightsaber doesn't feel like I'm whipping around a whiffle ball bat. Towards the end the basic mooks are pretty easy to dispatch in one hit, and that feels great. I want the saber to feel deadly. Every Star Wars game needs a 1 hit mode. Imagine the tense feeling of a boss fight where whoever lands the first head/chest blow wins instantly. I'm imagining 3D Nidhogg with lightsabers, basically.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    There's a window for successfully parrying and it gets smaller the higher the difficulty is. If you have a controller with analog triggers that let you adjust sensitivity it helps a lot. Or map it to a button press.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    There's a window for successfully parrying and it gets smaller the higher the difficulty is. If you have a controller with analog triggers that let you adjust sensitivity it helps a lot. Or map it to a button press.

This is not the issue -- the issue is the early timing required. I find it makes it feel sludgy instead of crisp, like it does in Sekiro, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter 3, God of War, etc. That and the fact that it doesn't seem like you can parry from block stun, so you get locked into blocking combos and you can't try to parry again until the combo's over (though it's possible that's because of losing focus).

I don't think there's a controller where the default parry shoulder button is a trigger? Maybe a third-party one

• Options
    edited February 2020

This is not the issue -- the issue is the early timing required. I find it makes it feel sludgy instead of crisp, like it does in Sekiro, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter 3, God of War, etc. That and the fact that it doesn't seem like you can parry from block stun, so you get locked into blocking combos and you can't try to parry again until the combo's over (though it's possible that's because of losing focus).

I don't think there's a controller where the default parry shoulder button is a trigger? Maybe a third-party one

I'm assuming you're just not understanding what I'm talking about, which is on me, but it very much is the issue as if you have a controller that can adjust sensitivity levels of analog triggers (like the SN30pro+ does) you can set it to trigger the input almost immediately after you begin to squeeze the trigger. This greatly increases your reaction time and lessens the affect of seeming like you are having to block early.

Also if you have an SN30Pro+, (which was the exact controller I was talking about in my previous post) you can swap all buttons and triggers to any other button or trigger using the same exact program you use to set the sensitivity of the analog triggers. These presets work regardless of if you are on Switch or PC or any other system that will run it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    I feel like they wanted to avoid the parry-spamming playstyle that is possible with Sekiro, and so yes, in essence your parry and block have warmup and cooldown frames that you need to respect. You can't cancel these windows by just nailing the parry button again, and trying will mean you eat the attack.

Because of this, if you miss the first parry in a combo, it's MUCH safer to just hold the block rather than release and attempt to re-parry subsequent hits.

I feel like most of the 2-3 parry chains result in an instant-kill animation (on non-bosses); I interpreted them as a skill reward rather than a mandatory strategy (unlike Sekiro, where not mastering parries means you simply can't cope with most enemies).

• Options
    Senna1 wrote: »
    I feel like they wanted to avoid the parry-spamming playstyle that is possible with Sekiro, and so yes, in essence your parry and block have warmup and cooldown frames that you need to respect. You can't cancel these windows by just nailing the parry button again, and trying will mean you eat the attack.

Because of this, if you miss the first parry in a combo, it's MUCH safer to just hold the block rather than release and attempt to re-parry subsequent hits.

I feel like most of the 2-3 parry chains result in an instant-kill animation (on non-bosses); I interpreted them as a skill reward rather than a mandatory strategy (unlike Sekiro, where not mastering parries means you simply can't cope with most enemies).

The easiest way to do that is make parries have a cooldown or become more ineffectual over time. As is the parry feels sluggish and not very good. It felt like getting a parry off was less about timing and more about luck.

• Options

I'm assuming you're just not understanding what I'm talking about, which is on me, but it very much is the issue as if you have a controller that can adjust sensitivity levels of analog triggers (like the SN30pro+ does) you can set it to trigger the input almost immediately after you begin to squeeze the trigger. This greatly increases your reaction time and lessens the affect of seeming like you are having to block early.

Also if you have an SN30Pro+, (which was the exact controller I was talking about in my previous post) you can swap all buttons and triggers to any other button or trigger using the same exact program you use to set the sensitivity of the analog triggers. These presets work regardless of if you are on Switch or PC or any other system that will run it.

I assumed you were responding to me, and I'm using a standard Xbox controller that doesn't have parry assigned to analog triggers (those are used for pull/push). The issue isn't analog triggers delaying inputs in my case, or I would assume most cases, since most players will be using Xbox or PlayStation controllers with default layout (shoulder button to parry). It's genuinely an issue of early timing being required, to begin with, regardless of controller.

If someone has parry bound to a trigger, they should absolutely alter the sensitivity, yes! Otherwise you'd drive yourself nuts.

• Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Kashyyyk boss battle spoiler:
    Okay but when the Ninth Sister turned on her second blade, I immediately did the same thing.

Bumping an old post, but I did the same thing and had a terrible time with that fight until I realized the damage difference. I felt like there was some trick I was missing, especially since I got that upgrade right before the fight. Not sure what they were thinking with that, it seems set to deliberately try to get you to fight in a way that is counter-intuitive.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Reviving becaose

https://youtu.be/oJZfEh3EciU

Apparently they worked with the band to develop a language specifically for this song.

• Options
    That band is not my cup of tea, but it's cool they got someone who fit the tone of the game so well

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'd discovered The Hu like a month before the game came out and assumed it was regular-ass Mongolian throat singing because that's how much of an uncultured swine I was lol
    This is so fucking dope though

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm stuck on Malicos currently. Not sure what to do as he's killed me half a dozen times so far. I had to take a break and I'll get back to is at some point.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ANOTHER bump, because they are releasing a free update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSwYMwm8fIU

• Options
    That is a neat update. I might dust off my copy and check these out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I immediately reinstalled after I watched that

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Yep, going to reinstall and try the challenge modes. Sounds like fun.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Some of the new challenges are pretty great. The waves of inquisitors that ends with you facing off against Evil Cal is pretty rough. There's another where you face off against both the inquisitors at the same time. Geesh. Going to need to shake the rust off.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Can’t wait to try this. Something I wanted after beating the game. And I really like that you can create your own challenges too.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Can’t wait to try this. Something I wanted after beating the game. And I really like that you can create your own challenges too.

This is exactly what I've been hoping for, I just didn't think it would be free. I could not be more pleased.

• Options
    Couple things with the battle designer:

1. Don't pick your old master as one of the characters. He's literally unkillable. No health bar. He's basically the vision you have towards the end of the game, the one where you have to not attack.
    2. I wish there was a way to set up teams. You can have factions ignore each other or not, but no way to actually set up a team a or b.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »
    Couple things with the battle designer:

1. Don't pick your old master as one of the characters. He's literally unkillable. No health bar. He's basically the vision you have towards the end of the game, the one where you have to not attack.
    2. I wish there was a way to set up teams. You can have factions ignore each other or not, but no way to actually set up a team a or b.

Yikes, thanks for the head's up. That sounds like something they missed when adding this to the game. Whoops!

oosik_betsuni.png